Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AtTheGates

[Xrd] Chipp vs Leo

Any tips for this matchup?  Leo can jack up your guard bar so fast, its really scary!

Personally I found getting used to his rekka pressure is a must and you need to KNOW THE FRAME DATA WELL!!  If you suspect he'll stop at his second rekka (-3 on block) you can stick out a 5S to beat his back-turned 5k but probably better to just jump out. With chipp you dont have much life to spare if you are wrong.  I wouldn't worry about him finishing the rekka unless he has bar enough to RC (-7 on block).  If he tries to spam S(f) 236S his first rekka is -1 usually a s(f) would beat whatever he tries next.  If he goes for his crossup you can just throw him, get used to the extra animation.  Try to zone him out!  

If you 228HS wall-cling his DP wiffs completely just like Sols which is awesome, though don't wall-cling low or you will be hit.  

personally i'm more worried about his stance pressure than his rekkas. will post some stuff once i played the matchup more, and in a more lag-free setting where i can actually block stance HS...

I think Leo is a pretty easy win for Chipp.

• Leo is super slow

•Mobility in general is awful

•Moves are slow compared to most characters

•f.S unless counter hit does not combo into anything

•No overhead except dust

•Can't block in stance so if Chipp gets away and Leo has no meter he's a sitting duck.

•FD really kills his pressure

HOWEVER

•A majority of his moves have some sort of frame advantage especially 6HS & 2S

•Cross-up oki is meaty! This is why people just die fighting him. No move can beat that except DP, blitz shield, etc.

•The stance parry is 1F and catches almost all moves in the game

•Stance super does mad damage

•While Leo can't block in stance he can't crouch either only and since he has a charge DP you need to be wary about when you go in.

•H fireball is huge, hits 3 times, and beats most projectiles.

• j.K is active for 14f

•5K moves him forward which catches a lot of people off guard.

Imo Leo is only a problem if you have no idea how to fight him or if you don't know his frames. His pressure has a lot of gaps unless in stance and even then it's a 4-way guessing game a lot of the time. Chipp can run around Leo all day...till he gets hit of course.

Stance HS is overhead fyi.

i also feel his stance pressure can be quite brutal to chipp, since the otherwise low dmg of leo really hurts against us.

i thought I put stance overhead in there my bad, at any rate his pressure while yes bad for Chipp I feel that a lot of other characters do pressure better than Leo, it would be garbage if shield wasn't there.

Favorable MU for Chipp but Leo has very active buttons to contest with him if he tries to go after you in the air.

j.H and j.K made is very annoying to deal with him in neutral when you want to move around and can lead to you getting knocked down into stance pressure if you aren't careful. You want to move around him with a larger space between you and Leo than you normally would with most other characters so that you can make it hard on him. Flash Kick is also a pain, so be sure to bait it out and make it count when you do.

Watch out for HS outside of stance, Leo can toss it out there and if you make a mistake in the footsie game and get hit by it, it's not gonna end well. 2D is your go-to poke against him, it get's you the knockdown you need to start safely and Leo can't do much about it. He has to make the right read and jump over it or a properly spaced HS to get his game going.

bt.P is throw invulnerable (F1~8) and bt.K is throw invulnerable (F1~6) so you don't wakeup throw him since most of them will more than likely toss that out to check you for it. bt.H in stance is an overhead and +6 on block... (Don't ask me why), however, bt.S is -1, you can IB and FD jump to avoid the bt.H that will more than likely follow behind it.

FDC Mix-up can work on him but you have to be wary of his flash kick. You'll want to do your FDC Mixup meaty or safe jump it Leo to bait this out. If he is in stance, not only do you have to watch out for the flash kick, but you now have the shield to contend with. Safe Jump the shield and punish by throwing him.

Personally, I'd probably go for mix-ups when he's back is to the wall and not mid-screen, but sometimes, you'll need to do it. In the end, it's a favorable matchup for Chipp, but one wrong move can easily make things go south... Trust me, I know from experience :(