Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AtTheGates

[Xrd] Chipp vs Millia

I really need help dealing with Millia at neutral.  I feel like I always end up falling into her pressure vs the opposite.  Her 5p / j.p / j.k beat most of my air approaches, and I always forget about her pin till its too late.  Feel like its one of the few match-ups where its hard to predict her approach and have an answer at the ready.  I know the minute i get her into the corner its practically GG, since my Oki is just as scary as hers, but she always ends up with more Setplay opportunities due to her Throws / Dead angles.

Some advice I can give 5K 6K is a Gatling but not a true block string, you can stop it with 5p pretty reliably & if you feel confident you could 6P CH 6HS.  There's is a 10 Frame gap when she gatlings from 5K to 6K (see magaki's expln below).

Same cancept is also true if she tries to gatling 5K to 6HS, but this is hard to react to imo.

4f of blockstun on 5K huh ? Unfortunately, that's not how you calculate frame data haha.
I'll explain.

The frame advantage is based on (total recovery)-(blockstun) with the total recovery being (remaining active frames+recovery). As a rule of thumb, frame advantage is always calculated starting from the first active frame or to put it more simply, when the move hits as soon as possible.

5K is an attack level 0, got 5f startup, 6 active frames and 14 recovery frames with -10 frame advantage. If you hit with the first active frame, then you have
(Remaining active frames + Recovery)
=(5+14)
=19

If the frame advantage is -10, then it means that 5K got 9f of blockstun. If you check the blockstun values here, it states that attack level 0 moves indeed have 9f blockstun.

If 5K got 9f blockstun, then 5K>6K got a 10f gap and not a 15f one. That means you can indeed hit her out of it with 6P. In fact, every normals except 6K, 6H, 5D and anything that hits low will work. Problem is that she can do quite a lot of frame trap from 5K and getting hit by something like a 2H CH that got no proration unlike 6K will hurt quite a lot. Especially for Chipp.

Your best bet if you notice that you're blocking a 5K is to fuzzy guard 41 really fast. Why ? Because if the Millia player go for 5K>6K, you will block it. If he goes for 5K>2K>2S, the 2K will be blocked before you have time to react to the 5K and you will block 2S with the final one.
If he goes for a frame trap, you will also block it.

The Millia player can also decide to do 5K>2K>2K>etc to beat it but if he does, he will end up too far to get a knockdown without tension. The best way to punish the fuzzy guard and get a knockdown for the Millia player would be with 5K>2K tick throw. In that case, your best counter is to fuzzy jump 71 but this will lose to frame traps and if the Millia player tried to bait a DP and see you jump, they can just airthrow you.

Ah ofc.  Thanks for that, I felt like 15 was too long as well myself.  I'd like to get used to 6p 6HS her 6K for some good dmg, and deter them from the pressure in the future.  For most characters I am confident to 5p if I see them go for a tick throw setup, but millia's are just harder to see coming - im too worried about all her other tools.

I really need to get used to fuzzy jumping her pressure.  (71) per my understanding this is essetnialy 1 frame jumping, and I need to time the 7 FD 1 on the 5th frame coming out of block stun.  Is that correct?

I don't know if 1 frame jumping is still a thing in Xrd. Most characters still have a 3f jump startup however so fuzzy jumping is still a much stronger option than in any other ASW game. As for doing it, just piano the FD right after inputting 7. Once you're in jump startup, you can't block anymore so the FD will be done as soon as you're in the air.

As for punishing with 6P, if the Millia player keeps doing 5K>6K then absolutely go for it yeah. To be safe though, input, instead of 6P>6H, 6P+H>6H.

This way, if the Millia player go for a frame trap, a roll or whatever, they will be thrown. If they went for 5K>6K, they will be hit CH by 6P. Just don't forget that if the Millia player start using lows, you're better off going for the fuzzy guard I mentionned.

Pretty nifty: you can combo 5s© from 6k on Millia consistently when she is at a neutral crouch state (not during blockstun or off a crouch CH).  Simplest way to set this up is via a frame trap or do it on her wakeup. It'll hit really deep on her, seems like a 1-2 frame window, and leads to some really good dmg.  She seems to be the only character you can do this to.  I found it pretty easy to do off of a runup 2k -> 6k.