Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

AtTheGates

[Xrd] Chipp vs Slayer

• Thou shalt not mash against Slayer. It's what he wants - his counter hits spell your doom.
  • That being said, there are situations where you have to mash against Slayer. I recommend 5K for its range and speed. It can frequently hit him in his poking distance, but be very catious and pick your spots (meaning obvious gaps)
  • Instant block helps when dealing with Slayer's pressure. Learn to instant block his S > S string,
  • in the corner, if you want to jump out, make sure you use FD on your way up - if you get tagged with his 6HS, which he can use specifically for this situation, you are dead. Once you are high enough up in the air, you can wall cling, then 9-Jump or dive-jump away. Once he gets weary of that, you can let go off the wall or do other shenanigans to escape.
  • 6P is useful against Slayer's ground approaches, it can for example beat his 6HS (although that's usually not a move you should contest). 6P loses to dandy Y S, however, so be very careful when you see dandy step.
  • Long range Gamma Blade is your friend in this matchup (like in all other Guilty Gear iterations). The reasons are obvious: it deals very well with dandy step as well as other ground approaches like mappa, and slayer is usually not fast enough to reach you when done from far away.
  • as greatfernman writes, 623 or 6236 S+HS Option Select on wakeup will protect you against Helter Skelter, but also against crossup dashes, if it is a close dash and not the long variant.
  • speaking of Slayer's long ground dash, it is a major annoyance - be prepared for lots of your stuff to whiff unexpectedly.
  • Slayer has a tall hitbox, which means you can hit him earlier than other characters with your jump-ins. Abuse accordingly.
  • don't forget to delay your wall alpha against Slayer to make sure to hit him during combos.

I just randomly thought of this earlier today and I tested it (perhaps incorrectly, may have done slayer oki wrong) and it works. So just putting it out there: Chipp can OS both it's late and helter skelter on wake up with 4K+S. if they do it's late, you block high, if they crossup with helter skelter you do 6K, which makes the helter skelter whiff.

(Millia, May and Slayer can do this with their 6Ks too)

edit: scrap that i'm silly, you can just OS with beta blade (421S+H for the low/4214S+H for the high)

you can also do 4S+H and if you do it early (not too early) c.S will CH him and if you do it late (not too late) you'll throw him. (i guess 4S+H is the best OS for it's late/helter skelter idk, DP is probably better for the low option)

IB'd under pressure is -3, which means doing 5P is a guaranteed hit regardless of what Slayer does next, including under pressure->hold back and under pressure->it's late.

Lately I've been gamma blade YRCing on slayers wakeup, it catches his BDC in mid backjump and you have time to dashup and mash 5P (prolly even could 6HS) to see if he keeps his FD up.