Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kazuki Slice

[Xrd] Ky Kiske vs. Elphelt

• Use this thread to discuss the Elphelt matchup.
  • If the matchup is giving you trouble, check to see if this post already contains info which will help you. If not, be as specific as possible when asking for help and others will be glad to give advice.
  • Please focus more heavily on discussing how to play the matchup properly than who is at advantage/disadvantage.
  • This post will be updated to collect useful info over time.

'Round Start:

'Neutral:

'Offense:

'Defense:

'Punishes:

'Combo Notes:

Can I maybe get some general tips in this matchup?

My impressions seem to be atm

+ Midrange game seems ok as she seems to hate f.S and Stun edge with a passion, poking her out of grenade pick up is SO satisfying lol

+ Ride can be used to get out of the unblockable setups

-That grenade is pretty annoying 

-She seems to have plenty of moments she looks like she is unsafe, but punishing her seems a pain sometimes

? Her wakeup time is a little weird when it comes to setting up CSE oki sometimes

? AAing air bridal express seems annoying, does 2H beat it? would we get away with j.K?

Slight delay 2H will beat air Bridal as will a correctly spaced and timed 6P. It's kinda important to get it down unfortunately because Air Bridal is really strong if you have to block it.

Her wake up time is really late you have to delay all your oki slightly.

Yea neutral is pretty good for Ky it feels like. Most of Ky's options seem to beat hers.

Grenade is super annoying yes.

I recommend learning to IB a lot of her moves. They are actually pretty high levels on some of them so IBing them makes a lot of them punishable.

go to the Elphelt forums and read what is annoying for them.   There are a couple of really lengthy posts that are really good information.    

Stuff like: If you see them pull a grenade around mid distance, throw out Ride the Lightning, as if she has to block, the grenade will blow up on her and you get damage/knockdown, and if she opts to throw it she'll probably get hit.

Her wakeup time is longer, so delay the CSE or go for meaty 6H.
http://www.dustloop.com/forums/index.php?/topic/9932-elphelt-vs-ky/ 

It's helpful if you look for what moves they are scared of and what they have to do to counter them and so you can...counter that counter.

This matchup plays the same as when you're against I-no. Getting knocked down is terrible and probably the best time to burst, especially if she's using her grenade oki. Whoever gets knocked down first will most likely lose the round.

Bananaken created a video at the end of January for Ky escape options against her unblockable setup. The setup that he's using in the videos is ~combo starter xx 214K, RC, 2HS (2), c.S, j.K, dj.P, j.S, j.D xx 236P, j.K, j.HS, land, 2P (toss), Sniper Rifle full charge. The way this 'unblockable' works is that you're forced to block the falling grenade which puts you in enough block stun to charge the unblockable sniper rifle shot.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJ8ssSLQyGA

The escape options are:

1) Wake up back dash - You take the hits from bouncing grenade & sniper rifle shot allowing you to tech forward to avoid the grenade blast. Elphet recovers while you're teching forward so you're still at a disadvantageous position but at least you're not eating the follow up combo into a loop situation.

2) Reversal S Vapor Thrust - The invincibility frames causes the falling grenade and sniper shot to whiff giving you enough time to block the grenade explosion. Elphet is still at positional advantage since she recovers while you're still blocking the grenade explosion.

3) Blitz Shield then back dash - Requires 25% meter for the Blitz Shield. You Bliz Shield the falling grenade, then back dash to avoid the charged sniper rifle shot. In the video you can do Greed Sever after the back dash to avoid the grenade explosion. I'm not sure if the Greed Sever can punish Elphet since the dummy is not set to block after the sniper shot or at least it doesn't look like it.

4) Reversal Ride the Lightning - Requires 50% meter. Ride the Lightning moves Ky forward is fully invincible during the first 25f but is projectile invincible during all active frames. Since it's projectile invincible and moves Ky forward it punishes Elphet by blowing through the grenade and the sniper shot.

I believe some of these escape options may work on the 75% meter variant where she does a Bridal Express (214K) RC combo into a knockdown, then YRC's her pineberry toss into a charged sniper shot. The concept is the same as the meterless variant where she forces you to block the bouncing/falling grenade to set up the charged sniper shot.

I believe in all of the situations in the video I linked, Elphet could try to mess with the timings of the escapes by YRCing the sniper shot. However, YRCing the sniper shot resets the charge time which may give you an alternative escape option.