Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kazuki Slice

[Xrd] Ky Kiske vs. I-No

• Use this thread to discuss the I-No matchup.
  • If the matchup is giving you trouble, check to see if this post already contains info which will help you. If not, be as specific as possible when asking for help and others will be glad to give advice.
  • Please focus more heavily on discussing how to play the matchup properly than who is at advantage/disadvantage.
  • This post will be updated to collect useful info over time.

'Round Start:

'Neutral:

'Offense:

'Defense:

'Punishes:

'Combo Notes:

Ky v. Ino

This match is dead even, simply because the first person to screw up usually tends to lose, and sometimes, rather horrifically and quickly. I play this match against Honnou quite a bit, and I don't particularly like this match because it can be rather random.
Ky has to play an active neutral and attacking game to win out, though one mistake can be very bad.

Neutral 

The name of the game is to not screw up while not permitting Ino to have a way in. Luckily, Ino does not have very good abare, so she does not have that many ways in. The concerns are mostly dive, stroke the big tree, chemical love and note.

The most dangerous of all of these is the note. Do NOT let Ino have space to launch a note, or if it comes out, kill it very quickly with an SE or dodge it. Blocking a note leads to an Ino katame, where she can attack you from every direction so this must not be permitted.
Even being forced to dodge or cancel the note is bad, as Ino can use that to earn her way in. If you are close enough and she's launching a note, always trade and get hit by the note in exchange for the knockdown, if possible, either by VT, 2D (on note recovery if she messes up), or sometimes 5HS.

If you keep your distance in close enough so that she doesn't have a note out (preferrably at 5S distance or closer), then it becomes an odd game of RPS. You have far 5S, 2S, 2D, 5HS, 2HS, 6P and occasionally SE fighting against big tree, chemical, dive, 6P, and random dash in air attack.
Far 5S and SE will seal out a chemical love and random dash in, but will lose rather badly to 6P and big tree. 5HS/2HS will stop dashes, and REALLY lay the hurt on a chemical love if you get a counter hit, but if you trade, then you will be downed and that will be bad, and this will also (sometimes) lose outright to big tree. 2S/2D beats out tree and 6P, and will duck under chemical but will lose to dash in air attack or TK dive. 6P will allow you to stop a dash-in and chemical love, but don't whiff this or Ino may have an excuse to launch a note. Basically you will have to out-yomi your opponent.

Ky's j.k, 6P and 2HS stop all of Ino's jump-ins. However, the dive move may be too fast to react to with j.k or 2HS, in which case you should just go for the IB and attack with 2P.

Defense

Ky is pretty helpless against Ino on defense, which is why it is important not to screw up. It's more or less impossible to predict what Ino will do or when Ino's air block string will end. You will pretty much have to guess high or low, and you will guess wrong quite often.
Reversal VT or RTL is usually out of the question unless Ino is being greedy, as she should mostly be doing safe jump ins.
Sometimes, you can dodge the safe jump in with a reversal backdash and then counter attack with 2P or 2K. Ino may not expect this, but if you do this too often, Ino will go for a straight dash to break the backdash.
However, the straight dash will trade with a reversal VT, so it could be good to entice Ino to do that.
Otherwise, if you block correctly or if Ino screws up her offense, look carefully for points to DAA/random FD or abare 2P to get out.

Offense

Similarly, Ino is rather helpless against Ky on offense. Her only real options are to try to jump out/FD out, DAA, reversal upward chemical love as a kurainige, or wake up super.
If Ino has >50% tension, go for okizemes that take the super out of the question, while leaving you with the initiative if she does do the super. Star Oki, CSE, air CSE, and Sensei's FB mixup should be preferred.
The goal should be for katame rather than damage. Try to keep Ino constantly blocking and guessing. Give her opportunities to hang herself with a wrong move, like big tree into your 2D -> HSSE FRC combo, or stun dipper counterhit, or tick throw versus tick -> 6P CH.
Always leave yourself in a position to attack, even if Ino pushes you out with FD. Use Ino's FD to bounce yourself back into the appropriate position to attack her more (which I will explain in the corner katame section).
If Ino does escape with a super jump or 1F jump out, then follow her so that you can anti air her with 6P/2HS.

Overall, neither side can really afford to screw up or get downed, which makes it even. It is somewhat harder to play as Ino instead of Ky in the neutral game, but that is made up by Ino's superior offense.
This match vid from 32:55 to 35:14 illustrates how badly one side could lose off of one or two mistakes in neutral.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXdpewSt_Yg

This matchup I recently played, still hella Mahvel lol. 3hs is a decent tool to catch her backdashes. That's all I can say right now. The rest still applies, whoever blocks first or gets knockdown first, wins.

Everything BladeofJustice said is absolutely correct, just going to chime in a little bit here, as my sparring partner is an I-no player. Matchup feels ABSOLUTELY 5-5, and is extremely high paced, but still has a pace you must control under all circumstances.

Ky will attempt to avoid haphazardly approaching I-no, and as a personal reccomendation, your first round should be completely feeling her out. Give yourself some space. Opening moves are actually important in this matchup. Your 2D is good, and you start in position for a good, strong 2S. 2S and 2D will both lose to IAD normals, but your 5HS will counter a quick dash in. A backdash is an option to consider, but STBT will hit you out of your backdash. Basically 50-50 for both sides to start.

Reason why i go into detail on the opening move, is simply because one error on either side can be the round. (Reasons posted above.) I-nos HCL needs to be respected. Your f.s is a tool to use here, but will be outranged by hcl.

When your opponent is in the corner, you have to play an immaculate lockdown game. Do not allow the airdash out, air throw them back into the corner. Vary up your pressure strings and attempt to force her to hang herself. She is a (correct me if im wrong) lighter character, and most standard bnbs work on her. You can end your combos into Stun Dipper, and proceed to do CSE yrc, or for meterless okizeme, go for 2D xx CSE.

Now, this is only neutral. On offense, utitilize every tool you have, as they are all effective. Be careful for blitz shield with 6HS on her wakeup, thats an easy read and shifts momentum heavily.

At some point ill discuss defense, as that is way more important than talking about making kys offense work on her. More to come!