Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kazuki Slice

[Xrd] Ky Kiske vs. Ky Kiske

• Use this thread to discuss the Ky Kiske matchup.
  • If the matchup is giving you trouble, check to see if this post already contains info which will help you. If not, be as specific as possible when asking for help and others will be glad to give advice.
  • Please focus more heavily on discussing how to play the matchup properly than who is at advantage/disadvantage.
  • This post will be updated to collect useful info over time.

'Round Start:

'Neutral:

'Offense:

'Defense:

'Punishes:

'Combo Notes:

I'm seeing this matchup in my local area a lot, there's 6 Ky mains, maybe more since I lost count tbh, in my local area out of like 20 regular players. Anybody have advice on this matchup? I actually do pretty bad in this matchup. If you're wondering what I do, I tend to throw out f.5S and j.D more often in this matchup, I throw out f.5S since it out ranges every other one of Ky's normals besides another 5S obviously, if the other Ky blocks I throw a stun edge afterwards. I also like 2S, since it's quick and a pretty good spacing tool. I use j.D because it can catch Ky trying to get in, the grinder from j.D also seems to help for winning projectile wars. Anything I should throw out more or what tools I should utilize more? I'm never good at mirror matches in any game.

I think I've seen you play at Saltmines? I'm just visiting the area, next week will be my last visit for the foreseeable future.

You have shtkn to play against, who is a great player to learn spacing from, so I would pay close attention to how he moves in and out of range of certain normals. A lot of this matchup and playing Ky in general is simply getting in the right range where you can react to your opponent and hitting them with whatever you can. Playing on reaction is the name of the game, so if you find yourself making those guesses with f.S/3H a lot, I would suggest you get out that habit and start trying to poke almost entirely on reaction, even if it's with something not so great at first like 2K or 2P. Just getting in that mindset will take you a long way, and then from there you can start putting the finesse on things.

Can't offer much more without seeing a video or something, but I feel like you have all the resources you'll ever need at your disposal. Once you get in the right mindset to really start playing footsies, everything will fall in place from there.

I'll try to poke purely based on reaction next time, I think you're right on that actually. I feel like if I use certain tools too much, I'll become easier to deal with in this matchup. Unfortunately I don't have a replay that was from this week on this matchup. I think I may have replays with my matches against Shtkn 2 weeks ago at WGF, so I'll pm you those videos if I have time or if I have time. I started playing the matchup differently after WGF though, so it'll probably be outdated on what I do. I really look up to Shtkn as a player though, and I watched most of his matches that were streamed, so I did learn a bit from his matches last night. I definitely need to work on footsies in general, and I think it's the main reason why I lose. Kinda surprised you found out I was from SD though. xD How are you enjoying your stay here, you're from Japan right, since I think I heard about you?

Watching your own videos helps, but you have so many local players you can just watch theirs instead. You can see me play against shtkn at 02:02. He plays a more defense oriented style whereas I play more aggressively, which should give you a good idea of what you should be looking to do in both situations.

Thanks, the video is really helping right now, yea I noticed he played pretty defensively when I played against him at WGF at this matchup. Hope we can play a match next Friday if I'm not busy and I go there, you're a really good player so I kinda want more experience and variety against the really good players. Thanks for the help btw, really appreciate it.