Sign in to follow this  
TGS

AC Millia: Combo Discussion

You can catch AKA's Millia in action on the Evolution 2007 DVD where he takes on FlashMetroid's team. Too bad they didn't tape AKA beating the Gibson and Yossan team in pools... And there's vids of me, blitz, and def1n1tely playing Millia in those AI Ranbat videos (granted, it's only single elim, one match, but at least there's vids of us) found in the Guilty Pleasures subforums I think... And last I heard, Klaige was an Anji player that switched to Millia in AC, but that's all I know...

Hey, I'm still relatively new to Guilty Gear so I'm trying to find someone to call my character and actually really start learning. Unfortunately, my Slayer seems to be regressing and I can't do combos I could do previously, so I'm planning to swap him out for someone I think I can play a little better. I'm curious about Millia, especially because I do want to learn a female character just for kicks, and I like the double air dash and whole pin thing, but I'm having trouble understanding some of the notations done by Teyah. I go the whole "| to ||||" representing delays, and I assume ADC means air dash cancel and r.5S-2H is dashing 5S to 2H. But some of the jumping notations are confusing me. like jf/u/b.D. Is it really as simple as jump forward/up/back? And one thing I have absolutely no idea on is really a universal question. I notice in some combos there's a "move xx some other move" What does the xx mean? If someone could explain some of that notation I think I can get around to practicing combos with her and possibly pick her up instead of other characters if I think I can feel the flow of her combos better than others. Plus, I've never seen someone in my area play as Millia so it'd be cool if I eventually became the Millia player around here.

Yep, you got it right - ju/jb/jf is simply jump up / jump back / jump forward. This preciseness really does matter with Millia, because if you jf when you should ju you may end up zooming past the opponent, or if you jb when you should ju you won't reach them in time for the next hit.. that sorta thing.

"xx" is simply a way of writing 'cancel', usually done with special move cancels. Like, j.H xx 214S (S Pin) is just a jump Heavy cancelled into the S Pin.

About learning Millia.. well, I'll quote what I mentioned in another thread:

... Anyway, learning Millia in Accent Core is probably more of a patience thing, since a lot of her strengths in mixup take preciseness to pull off properly, which means a lot of practice. Meanwhile her combos differ for every weight class and change depending on how you go into them - this requires a ton of memorization if you want the best result every time. Because of these two things and her low health, she usually isn't all that appealing to newer players, but if you want to make it work, you can.

Ah, thanks a lot for a such a timely response. I'm glad I managed to guess right on a lot of the notations. Also, thanks for explaining the xx meaning special cancel. I knew about special canceling, but I guess I just don't usually see a notation for it. Yeah, I kinda settled on Millia for a female character for numerous reasons. I hate charge moves (so no May), my friend plays Jam (so I don't want to take that from him), and I just don't like the playstyles of every other girl. Besides, a precision character would nice in general. It'll help overall gameplay I'm sure.

Hey, not a problem. If you've got your mind set on learning Millia, who am I to complain? Though there aren't too many Millia players around (except in California, that state can't seem to get enough of her...) so it's always good to see more people join in the fun. :P I'll say this again though - Millia's combos are very character/weight-specific and it's tough to get consistent beyond the very basic knockdown combo (which many players settle for). Thankfully, we've got most of them mapped out in the first post, so if you ask about combos you'll probably just get pointed to that post + Training Mode. Though if you have any questions on her gameplay, feel free to ask. Hopefully the basic gameplay guide will be up soon (I make no promises.. I am overburdened by school these days) so that will be a good reference once it gets up. Until then, post away in the Q&A or whichever thread suits your fancy if you're in need of advice. Welcome to Millia!

Welcome to Millia!

Says the dude with an Eddie av. :kitty:

Knockdown + HS/FB disc + Mixup + ADC = Everyone getting really pissed at you. That's basic Millia in a nutshell really. (lol) Hmm there are 3 other Millia players in England that I know of, 2 I've played (zer0kage being one of them) ka-ge-ma-tsu-ri (sp?) is the 3rd but haven't played him yet.

hi im new to the millia forums ive been playing since ac came out with anji so far i got pretty good with him and decided that it was time to move on to a diff character and it looks like millia is it ^^ i started playing her about 3 weeks ago or so and so far ive come to the conclusion that is just gonna take endless hrs in training mode which is fine with me lots of variations of everything to learn and upping my execution lvl cuz anji was pretty ez on that subject , ive been talking to tgs on aim or rather annoying him with question for a while lol so i finally decided to hit up the boards since i got a pretty good idea of what im doing by now On ky going from 2h js jh jd js jh land jk is there any follow up that i can do other than jk js jh ad jh ad jh fb disc 6h that will still get me a knockdown his hitbox is a little retarded so i cant figure out another alternative

pretty sure instead of 3 j.HS you can do j.HS > j.D > j.D, bad moon, that scores you a knockdown without having to waste tension. I'm not 100% sure as Ky is a bit awkward to combo in the air. That and I rarely see/play Ky players. also I find cancelling 2HS into j.K, j.S, j.HS is much easier than just j.S, j.HS..

Knockdown + HS/FB disc + Mixup + ADC = Everyone getting really pissed at you.

That's basic Millia in a nutshell really. (lol)

Hmm there are 3 other Millia players in England that I know of, 2 I've played (zer0kage being one of them) ka-ge-ma-tsu-ri (sp?) is the 3rd but haven't played him yet.

:)

I've been trying to learn Millia for a while now and she's really difficult to play *coughKyplayercough* I've got some idea of how to do her ADC combos (you can check my vids in the San Antonio video thread) but I'm really having problems with the relaunch. Lately every time I go into training mode I'm trying to get this combo down against Sol: Sol Combo to 2H (ground launch), j.K-D ||| ADC j.K-D, ADC | j.H, land 5S-2H, j.K-D | ADC j.H, ADC falling j.D xx S Pin, land 6H. I can do the basic ADC combo, but once I land it's rare that I get that relaunch and extremely rare that I land that falling j.D :( What's the timing like and are there any visual cues or anything that would help me get this down? It just gets so frustrating trying to pull this off and I don't want to quit learning Millia =/

A surprising amount of Japanese players don't rely on relaunches, and I haven't seen that specific one used in recent memory. Anyhow, the Japanese seem to be shifting to avoiding j.K-D and instead starting with j.S-H or j.H and often doing one rep into knockdown. I'd suggest starting with that, then working on character-specific relaunches once you're very comfortable with different ways of setting up the heavy-hitting single rep knockdowns.

And sorry, I still haven't commented on your vids. Will do so... soon. (Exams end tomorrow for me)

It's cool man. It's just difficult being patient with Millia so whenever you can comment I'll greatly appreciate it. Aight, I guess I'll just work on those knockdown combos then.

Hey, I've got a question for Teyah about some of those combos on the first few posts. Since I'm not exactly up to par yet, and still can't do a lot of them, could you maybe add on the damage dealt to the side of the combos? I noticed that from throw combos on Slayer and up, no damage is indicated, but everything downward of him until the flashy combos is shown.

pretty sure instead of 3 j.HS you can do j.HS > j.D > j.D, bad moon, that scores you a knockdown without having to waste tension. I'm not 100% sure as Ky is a bit awkward to combo in the air. That and I rarely see/play Ky players.

also I find cancelling 2HS into j.K, j.S, j.HS is much easier than just j.S, j.HS..

the problem is related specially to ky lol any of the more floaty characters like anji u can do jd jd as the ender for the relaunch but kys hitbox gimes me headache

Werd. Kane- Yea, j.k,js.,j.hs is easier, but it sacrifices some damage. It's up to you how you want to end it though. Just do what works for you. I see Nakamura sacrifice damage for an easier knockdown all the time it that helps convince you.

Hey, I've got a question for Teyah about some of those combos on the first few posts. Since I'm not exactly up to par yet, and still can't do a lot of them, could you maybe add on the damage dealt to the side of the combos? I noticed that from throw combos on Slayer and up, no damage is indicated, but everything downward of him until the flashy combos is shown.

The combos listed there generally do the best damage while still allowing you to get knockdown, so I wouldn't worry too much about the exact amount of damage. Throw combos are generally between 80-110 damage so the difference isn't that huge.. you can also usually guess how much a combo will do just by looking at the moves used - if any of 5K, j.P, or j.K are present then it's probably going to do less than something involving a relaunch combo starting from something like 5S-2H.

Knockdown and consistency > damage! In throw combos, at least, since they are mixup setups for more damaging (corner) combos.

Ah, so basically just focus on getting knockdowns and getting consistent combos off is more important than the actual damage dealt per combo. Just make sure you keep pulling them off is key. Heh, sounds like a female version of Chipp.

In matches I don't really mind about how much damage I do in the ADC's, It's all about securing that knockdown > mixup The extra hit is worth it of it gets you the knockdown, I usually find the difference in damage that Millia does is never that much different if you add the extra hit. Not like Potemkin where the extra 5s in a slidehead OTG combo does a world of difference on Millia... :(

I found a funny combo. On Johnny Midscreen 5S, 2H, j.H, S PIN, AD, FALLING j.H, LAND (TAKE PIN), 2H, jf.D, S PIN, AD, FALLING j.H, LAND(TAKE PIN), 2H, jf.D, S PIN, AD, FALLING j.D. Pinloop??

I wanted to make a post about the following two combos.

Aerial launch: (eg. after a throw)

...(5S-)2H, ju.H, ADC j.D, ADC j.D xx S Pin, land 6H

- replace last j.D with [ADC j.S-H, land j.K...] for relaunch

Ground launch:

...2H, ju.S-H, ADC j.D, ADC j.D xx S Pin, land 6H

- replace last j.D with [ADC j.S-H, land j.K...] for relaunch

I've seen the Japanese (particularly Woshige) have been shifting to these as of late. These two combos are pretty basic, work on many characters, do good damage, and have relaunch potential... basically, they seem to be decent 'universal' combos for many characters. Of course, you can't always start with a 2H, but when you do, these combos seem like the most consistent solution. No idea on how tight the timing is though, or if they are as universal as I originally thought.

Pinloop??

Lol nice, will have to test that.

I need universal combos that work without the pin. I know sometimes it's my fault for not delaying some of the hits or ADCs. Some characters are really a pain to combo off of a random pin hit. It's the ONLY reason I lose matches. My videos will be up later today.

And about that pin loop.

http://gamechariot.movie.coocan.jp/movie/071103_GGXXAC_02.wmv

It's in this new video.

Edit: This one works on a good chunk of the cast for me, but you have to delay the ADCs and some of the hits in the combos in order for it to end in a knockdown and sometimes the hits just don't catch the opponent's hitbox and it's really frustrating.

2H > J.S, J.H, ADC > J.D., ADC > J.S., H.S > Land > J.K, J.S, J.H, ADC > J.D, ADC, J.S, J.H

From now on if I have the pin I'm going to use it to help me on my knockdowns, because it's usually easier. I think I'm going to go for consistency rather than damage because I really like Millia's corner game. It's really retarded good. It was something I noticed when I rewatched my matches yesterday.

Whatever floats your boat. Even though if you actually went through this thread you'd find long lists of combos that are actually worth using despite their character-specific restrictions rather than sticking to a single basic combo that doesn't work on every single character. Oh, and at the re-jump part of the combo, you can substitute the j.K-S-H, adc.D, adc.D part on lighter characters with j.K-D, adc.K-D, adc.D. It gives you the knockdown, but if you're really not confident in your timing, you can end the last adc.D with delayed S Pin, land, 6H... Same shit with the other combo that works on everyone else.

Sign in to follow this