Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TS-

Air recovery rules?

Hello,

I'm a newb to GG (haven't really played since messing around with GGX on the Dreamcast many years ago), but I recently got GGXX#R on Steam and have been messing around with it.  

I played Alpha 3 for many years so I'm familiar with the slightly complex rules for air recovery in that game and how it works.  Is there some sort of guide for when the opponent can/can't tech/air recover?  Is it based on number of frames after hitstun with an exeption for dust combos, or is there something I'm missing?

You can check the Wiki, but basically, enemy can't recover while they're still in untechable time cause by a hit, and the untechable time of a hit usually refers to it's move level, there's exception though

Hello,

I'm a newb to GG (haven't really played since messing around with GGX on the Dreamcast many years ago), but I recently got GGXX#R on Steam and have been messing around with it.  

I played Alpha 3 for many years so I'm familiar with the slightly complex rules for air recovery in that game and how it works.  Is there some sort of guide for when the opponent can/can't tech/air recover?  Is it based on number of frames after hitstun with an exeption for dust combos, or is there something I'm missing?

There's some sort of misunderstanding in your thought process, but I'm not sure what it is so I'm just going to answer your questions.

You can tech as soon as you leave hitstun. The tech itself has recovery where you are invincible to everything but air throws. Normals typically follow a very standard pattern for the amount of hitstun they inflict. A higher "level" attack has more hitstun, so for example, you have longer to combo after Sol's 5HS than his 5K when it hits someone out of the air. Specials can have weird amounts of hitstun. Things like Sol's Volcanic Viper have very, very large amounts of hitstun; his S Volcanic Viper has so much hitstun that a grounded opponent cannot air tech at all. Many moves have absurdly long hitstun on Counter-hit, like Potemkin's 2HS. This is to allow for Potemkin to anti-air with it then follow up with a full combo.

There are also special states that can effectively add hitstun to moves, like wallstick, ground slide, and ground bounce. These vary by move.

There's some sort of misunderstanding in your thought process, but I'm not sure what it is so I'm just going to answer your questions.

You can tech as soon as you leave hitstun. The tech itself has recovery where you are invincible to everything but air throws. Normals typically follow a very standard pattern for the amount of hitstun they inflict. A higher "level" attack has more hitstun, so for example, you have longer to combo after Sol's 5HS than his 5K when it hits someone out of the air. Specials can have weird amounts of hitstun. Things like Sol's Volcanic Viper have very, very large amounts of hitstun; his S Volcanic Viper has so much hitstun that a grounded opponent cannot air tech at all. Many moves have absurdly long hitstun on Counter-hit, like Potemkin's 2HS. This is to allow for Potemkin to anti-air with it then follow up with a full combo.

There are also special states that can effectively add hitstun to moves, like wallstick, ground slide, and ground bounce. These vary by move.

In fact, hitstun and untechable time are 2 different things, you shouldn't use them as one thing

In fact, hitstun and untechable time are 2 different things, you shouldn't use them as one thing

These are what I was wondering- if it was based on some sort of value, or the state of the attacking player.  Seems to be somewhat both (seems like you can't tech in situations where you can't Burst like during Overdive/super moves), but in general it seems to be a value- like hitstun or blockstun or stun damage, certain moves cause X amount of frames where you can't tech (or hitstun# +X, etc).  

In Street Fighter Alpha 3 for example, it's based entirely on states- when a move is active you can't tech, but during recovery time you can, something like vs overdrives, but all the time

Isn't it the case that you can forward/back tech before you can neutral tech in GG?

The game itself says that on mission mode.