Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Jerain

A few questions from a new player

I'm a long time Persona fan, but I never actually got into P4A because it was a totally different genre. However, after watching a hefty amount of gameplay, I finally picked this game up and it had just come in the mail today. I've played through the tutorial and a few games, but as of now I needed clarification on a few mechanics (this game has a few too many).

1. How often is the auto-combo mechanic used in higher level play? Is it just straight up better to mash out one of those combos in some situations or is there always a better manual option?

2. I see competitive players use controllers instead of fightsticks sometimes, is there a reason or is that just a preference/financial thing? Currently I'm using a fightstick but its pretty dinky.

3. In the lists of combos on the guides on this site, what do the numbers mean? For example, 5A > 2B... etc. 

4. What are the reasons for playing Shadow type characters, besides for variety? On tier lists I see online (I don't know how accurate they are but they'll do) the Shadow characters are lower, if not significantly lower than their regular counterpart.

I can't answer all of your questions but

1. I hardly see auto-combo's used at higher level play, they'll only use it if they know it'll kill the enemy and they don't want to risk messing up a proper combo. So most high level players would mash it if they'll win the round, but other than that, they usually stick to manual combos.

3.  This link explains everything.

4. This also tells you everything you need to know.

I did play the first P4A a lot, but my Persona 4 Ultimax also arrives today as well XD.

1.)To answer the auto combo thing auto combos are actually used in higher level play but under many circumstances.

http://youtu.be/5gxlJKaY4IQ?t=23m47s

Up there is the Grand Finals of NEC and a few times in the match you can see Grover (The Yu Player) Using his 5A as a pressure tool and backing of to try and catch LK (The Margret player) using DP or another move that leaves her fairly open.

Some other characters like Kanji my main, use the auto combo because its one of our fastest options and better moves to catch people mashing on wakeup and apply pressure.

Then finally you have scumbags characters like yukari who use it because there's starts with a low or s. naoto because it's one of the 30 ways she can use it to link into her combo of shadow burst auto death.

2.) I use a gamepad. Everyone's different. I grew up with one so I use it. Some pro use gamepads some use fightsticks. There are differences but its a personal decision and it should be made at your own digression. 

3.)Dazards link is perfect so I won't bother. All I will say is if us see FC or CH before a combo that means Fatal Counter and Counter Hit.

4.)Dazards link is perfect again also screw tiers and I will add that there are some shadow only combos which the game talks about in the in-game tutorial which I highly recommend.

If you have any more questions hit me up in game. I answer them unless im to busy getting blown up.

Bump, I have another question.

Currently I'm learning Marie and one of her combo starters is: 5AA > 5B > 5C > 2AB > 236C

First of all, does the first AA mean inputting A twice, with no direction input?

Second, I'm not seeing a difference between 5AB and 2AB, am I doing something wrong or is the 2 just for a quick nudge or something along those lines?

5AA is A twice with no directions. 2AB is 2A+B, meaning sweep. 5A+B is the overhead.

5AA means the first two hits of the auto combo, then hit 5B.

2AB should be a sweep, 5AB is AoA. 2 means down. So press down AB at once. I like to place the AB as a top button on pad to make it easier.

EDIT: I was ninja'd.

You guys are awesome. I have another few questions

Another one of Marie's combos is:2B > 5C > 2C > 2B > 236A (crossup) > 5A > 5C > 5BB > j.236B

How is a crossup set up from a 236A? It doesn't seen like I can do anything out of it other than airdashing or OMC.

Also, how exactly do I practice the technical parts of the game like punishing or teching, is it just bringing the information into arcade or online to practice?

Marie's crossup combo is done because of how high the opponent is. So on the final hit of 236A the opponent is behind you(crossup), allowing you to follow up with 5A or something. Not that at the end of it you can cross them up

For punishing and teching just go into practice and record something you want to try to punish, Example record an All out attack, block it and see what works. Same with teching