Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

BlackYakuzu94

Death Battle: Ragna vs. Sol

I think it has more to do with the fact Ragna's Blazblue is the "Body" of the Black Beast, meaning he retains its destructive capabilities and form.  Nu as the Heart, presumably is what keeps the Black Beast from burning itself out from its own power.

We also know that it's possibly to create a Black Beast with a suitable number of souls and a cauldron, as we see in Kokonoe's side story.

I actually forgot about that.

Okay, as I have read more, the finale is just more of BS. First, Ragna goes FULL Black Beast when he gets stabbed by some oversized cigarette lighter? The same Ragna who has stabbed multiple times, the Ragna who would only turn into pseudo-Black Beast first after either using Azure too much or being forced out? And the said full Black Beast gets to do jack before Sol kills it?

There are probably many other details (Like the Backyard actually destroys your MIND, not your SOUL if my sources are right), but them going just bring Black Beast in and do nothing with it is just so anti-climatix.

NOTE: Even if the battle itself is there for flare and doesn't matter in the end, there are still many details missing or wrong to really justify it. Like say that Ragna would defeat Sol as Black Beast: It would take a lot more effort and time for him to become one fully.

No, the Backyard destroys you UTTERLY; Mind, Body and Soul lose composition and dissipate due to the dense atmosphere of information.  Normal people who go in there are, as Paradigm phrased it, turned to dust as soon as they enter inside.  That was why That Man challenged Sol to a mock-fight so he could ensure that he could withstand being in there. And even after That Man gave Sol and his team his special enchantment to protect them from the worst effects, they still felt like they were suffocating while being inside there. 

I love BlazBlue's lore and setting and all that good stuff but saying it explains itself well is a lie. There's a lot of stuff that you would only get from the Material Collections/Short Stories/Novels/etc that isn't available to a lot of people, and even then it opens a lot of questions to be answered. It doesn't help that we in America don't get any of this stuff. I'm all for extra material that provides insight, but it shouldn't be required to go through all this side material to understand how things work at a satisfactory level.

Fucking this.

But side material is still part of the story. To say the entire story is bad is to exclude all of it. 

That's precisely the problem. When there's so much side material that they in themselves are important to the plot, you've got yourself a tangled web of a story that you have to walk back and forth from one medium to the next. Even the writers can't keep track of the flow of the story this way. In case you haven't noticed, most every fighting game series does this. External material is whipped cream to a desert, it can expand upon certain unexplored elements in the lore as long as they don't take precedence to the main story that fans are initially presented with (I need to remind people that there is a difference between plot and lore), but because fighting games aren't usually made with making a cohesive narrative in mind, developers and their publishers almost have to stoop to the "All There in the Manual" trope. On the other hand, that's not so much a bad thing when you accept this; fans of the games can have something to look at besides the otherwise simple and context-less arcade stories in the fighting games that they play, to see the stories of their favorite characters play out through a visual and/or graphical medium. Street Fighter didn't do too bad in this regard when adapted via comics and anime.

That being said, the fact that Blazblue is story heavy, if not THE most story heavy compared to most fighting games is where it bites off more than it can chew when it does its own side material spewing, because players and fans are expecting to get the most out of the plot and lore from just the games if Arcsys wanted to go through all that trouble, which I personally feel BBCP's Library Mode could've actually helped if Arcsys had come up with said mode sooner. Aside from using the aforementioned trope, Arcsys went as far as to use the "Kingdom Hearts" approach with more games related to the main series of Blazblue, but good luck drawing that connection right away (hi Xblaze). And yes, Guilty Gear did pretty much the same thing, but by nowhere near the same margin. GGXrd has the most benefit from giving players a Library Mode before it got too story heavy (even after GG2). It's not a complete glossary, but it's nevertheless a step in the right direction and at least we western fans weren't exempt from it.

To me it seems like the only people unsatisfied with this outcome are people who don't really understand or play GG : / If you did you'd know it wasn't as black and white as you claim it to be.

Okay, as I have read more, the finale is just more of BS. First, Ragna goes FULL Black Beast when he gets stabbed by some oversized cigarette lighter? The same Ragna who has stabbed multiple times, the Ragna who would only turn into pseudo-Black Beast first after either using Azure too much or being forced out? And the said full Black Beast gets to do jack before Sol kills it?

There are probably many other details (Like the Backyard actually destroys your MIND, not your SOUL if my sources are right), but them going just bring Black Beast in and do nothing with it is just so anti-climatix.

NOTE: Even if the battle itself is there for flare and doesn't matter in the end, there are still many details missing or wrong to really justify it. Like say that Ragna would defeat Sol as Black Beast: It would take a lot more effort and time for him to become one fully.

That "oversized cigarette lighter" is powerful enough to wipe you out of existence.  Sure Ragna could have avoided turning BB but then that battle would have ended early lol.  If you don't play GG that's fine and I respect that, but you should really look on the wiki or on Mimeblade's blog or something before you make a absurd claim like that.

Weeeeelp, we all saw it coming so I don't know why you guys are upset.

It was still a pretty fun bate tho; Le Dustloop.

And now to watch this thread burn, all apart of my master plan :V

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's just one or two Blazblue fanboys being salty really, I think most people enjoyed it.  Nobody sane expected Ragna to come out of this as anything but toast, they just wanted to see him put up a good fight.  One must wonder though, given the nature of DI Sol's IK if he was able to override the life link and just wipe Ragna out of existence.  I can't see Celica being too thrilled with that lol.

It's just one or two Blazblue fanboys being salty really, I think most people enjoyed it.  Nobody sane expected Ragna to come out of this as anything but toast, they just wanted to see him put up a good fight.  One must wonder though, given the nature of DI Sol's IK if he was able to override the life link and just wipe Ragna out of existence.  I can't see Celica being too thrilled with that lol.

I love BB but i'm not even gonna argue for Ragna. Knew Sol would win from the start.

I love the guy but he had no chance, it would take like Full Power Hakumen to give Sol a run for his money.

The fight was fine. They just had no idea what they were talking about with BB.

Can't really tell about GG since I don't play it.

The fight was fine. They just had no idea what they were talking about with BB.

Can't really tell about GG since I don't play it.

What was wrong with how they interpreted BB?  They pretty much worked with everything that's been officially released as far as Ragna is concerned.  If anything Mori's writing contradicts itself and has too many plotholes.  

Look, I love Blazblue to death and it will always be my main game over Guilty Gear. I've learned to love it's characters and lore and do wanna see how it ends. So with that said, I can say with the utmost of honesty....it's story is honestly a pile of shit sometimes that requires way more brain power to process than necessary; someone seriously needs to give Mori a book on how to write plot so it makes sense for the people who are reading it because holy fucking crap, the headaches this series has given me trying to piece shit together.

Sooooo, yea.  

What was wrong with how they interpreted BB?  They pretty much worked with everything that's been officially released as far as Ragna is concerned.  If anything Mori's writing contradicts itself and has too many plotholes.  

They said Ragna just magically got an arm out of nowhere. He got it by attaching the Black Beast's corpse to it. That's right in the game itself. They were using the anime for some reason for that part while they were using the game for some other parts.

Then there was the whole explanation about the church scene and some other stuff. They could have at least gave a cursory explanation about something like the Power of Order but they just twisted things to make it sound dumb for a laugh. There's plenty of stuff only in supplementary material only, but as of Chrono Phantasma there's a decent explanation for pretty much everything that the video actually covers. Like time travel -- obviously different stories treat time travel differently: some of them have a loop where the past influences the future, others create alternate timelines, etc. So there was no reason to just make it sound like the story was just being stupid because of their misunderstanding.

Well, it's not a surprise since that's their basic schtick anyway.

Come on guys, they clearly stated that Ragna didn't have enough belts to compete   :toot:

Can't believe some people are actually upset about this. 

Come on guys, they clearly stated that Ragna didn't have enough belts to compete   :toot:

Can't believe some people are actually upset about this. 

I think it's because everyone from the start knew how this was going to turn out and that Ragna didn't really stand a chance, so it was kind of upsetting for them. 

Ragna's life really does suck, he can't even win outside the logic of his own series :V

So...  I expected the result, but that was pretty much just a DI Gunflame.  Pretty lackluster and seems like it would be insulting to Ragna fans, as it's like Sol didn't really exert himself all that much besides deciding to use DI.  :psyduck:

"Cautious Win!"

Also, did they fail to mention Volcanic Viper in Sol's move list?  I don't remember seeing it and I don't care enough to check again.  They only had so much space, so not mentioning Kudakero is one thing, but VV?  Come on guys...

Sol didn't really exert himself all that much besides deciding to use DI.  

This describes almost every encounter Sol has ever had in the series though.

I understand why they pitted the two, but Jesus. There's a reason Sol is considered by many to be a Mary Sue. Dude's effectively God once he goes Dragon Install.

I wished Ragna put up a better fight myself, but there's really no way to make this figh believable without nerfing Sol :V

He could have exerted himself 0.01% more by using Branding Breach, or Napalm Death, or All Guns Blazing instead of Gunflame.  Would have looked a hell of a lot cooler at least.

*Edit*  Or, you know, Tyrant Rave, or any other buffed DI move like Bandit Bringer, Fafnir, or freakin DI H VV.  It just looks sad that Sol killed that Black Beast thing without even making physical contact with it.

It kind of feels like Ragna is that underachieving middle child who's stuck in both of their shadows; Yu is the young prodigy who everyone admires and Sol is the older brother who has years of experience over the two.

It's kind of depressing when you think about it. Isn't sad Ragna 

Terumi would kill both of em and curbstomp them

Which of course explains why he's dead and was never able to truly defeat Ragna, who just got obliterated by Sol.