Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Blade

Advice for Hosting Rooms? (GGXrd)

I had a real mess on my hands last night.

I set up a casual room so I could get to know some of the players in my area.

All of a sudden a bunch of people start joining my room...

That was fine, for a while... but they kept playing their own matches in the room, not talking to me or anything.

I let things be for a while, since I wanted to get some matches in too... but it started getting late and I was getting tired, so I warned people a bunch of times that I'm calling it quits and disbanding the room.

Nobody listened.  They just kept right on joining and playing matches.

I was tired and I had to pull the plug.

I hate doing that to people especially in the middle of a match but nobody was listening to me.

Any advice for future when hosting rooms in GGXrd?

A lot of times people will play right up to when the room disbands anyways. I don't find it to be common for people to leave prior to the owner shutting the room down on netplay.

No advice on people not talking to you. Guess they had different expectations on what the room was meant for.

I hate doing that to people especially in the middle of a match but nobody was listening to me.

Just shut it down. Don't feel bad about it, people will just make a new room and all move over there. You can be courteous sometimes, but sometimes people just need to deal with it.

The chat window in the lobby is easy to miss. I don't think a whole lot of people will want to talk.

A surefire way to talk to local players is to go to a nearby tournament. A lot of times just going to the closest major will let you know who's in your own town.

Yeah people just don't notice the chat box. If you give fair warning (or perhaps get on your headset and tell everyone you have to go) don't worry about disbanding.

Disbanding while somebody else's match is in the process of booting up can freeze the game for them. Disbanding while they're already in a match is fine. IIRC, the lobby continues to exist, but in the search results it'll still show the original owner's name.

I think I saw your lobby yesterday and you had it set to "loser stays." You must've been attracting the wrong crowd.

lol, why is "loser stays" even a thing?

My experience with online communication so far has been that it basically does not exist. People don't read the chat box and the players who I've encountered who use mics have been either not speaking English or just making a bunch of noises like grade school children. I was in a room last night where several guys just kept saying "hmmm" over and over and laughing hysterically, until I finally left. It kind of baffled me that people that stupid were playing Guilty Gear.

^I've encountered this... it baffles me too. :v:

I only use Loser Stays for my own sake, since I play against players better than me sometimes, and I hate waiting to play.

Most people rarely talk in XRD Lobbies, let alone notice the chat box. So if you wanna leave just say Last game, wait till one match finishes then kill the lobby. Tough luck to others who may of started a game, about to finish a round or just joined the lobby.

^I've encountered this... it baffles me too.  :v:

I only use Loser Stays for my own sake, since I play against players better than me sometimes, and I hate waiting to play.

Play on player match with rematch setting on then. (With a better player you may know) 

It's very nice that you consider others matches in the room especially notifying when you plan on disbanding. I respect that alot actually.

However as host and the fact you give them notice and they still play, just disband. Like others are saying, at least one person will make a room so no one is really hurt by it