Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Arteezy

What to do when getting railed on

I'm new to fighting games in general and got Guilty Gear Xrd, so I've been practising Faust.

When i get into online matches, and i get trained with a combo either mid-screen or in a corner it's super frustrating cause I can't seem to do anything and I don't know how to get out of it. Any advice? Specifically against characters like Milia and Sin

You can press any attack button midair (and a direction) to do a recovery, although this will only work if there is a gap in the combo being performed. Your most important tool for getting out of combos is your Burst. Make sure you don't waste it, and try to use it right when your opponent has initiated a combo.

Stay calm. Try to watch what they are doing in their combo, how much recovery each thing has, when they are close to you and when they are far away. When they're close and in recovery, you can burst out.

Don't mash tech. Don't think of a tech as something you do to get out of damage, think of it as an invincible movement options you can do after getting hit. While you're still in the combo, if you want to get out, try teching right before each move, so that you can go through a move when you tech. Think about where and when you want to land. Remember that getting hit by a reset is much more damage than getting hit by a black-beat combo. Patience is the difference between getting out of the combo and being back on your feet and getting reset into more damage or bad positioning.

Well, I dunno about GG yet, as I dont have it, but a general thing you could try is a character specific DP. I would recommend looking up the frame data for Faust. Look for moves that either give you a brief moment of invincibility or armor. These are nice to help get someone off you. In terms of Blazblue, for example, the first thing that comes to mind is Ragna's Inferno Divider, and in Street Fighter, Ryu's Shoryuken. 

DO NOT rely on these moves, however, since they generally have a long recovery time and if you whiff or they block it, you are usually gonna get punished. Just use these to make your opponent remember to respect you at all times. 

The safest bet is to practice your blocking. Watch how your opponent plays, get in his head. Once you understand what kind of combos and moves your opponent likes to do in certain situations, you can begin to predict them and thus block them. This also means you should learn the BnBs of your opponent's characters, not just your own. This will take trial and error, however, and a whole lot of paying attention to how people play. You will fail before you succeed, no doubt, but with some grit, you'll pull it off. 

Good luck! 

Sin has no mixup if you just block low and react high to the overheads. You need to respect the overhead and wait for him to run out of food gauge.

Millia, you have to guess when you get knocked down. Don't get knocked down. After blocking a mixup, hold up back and possibly Faultless Defense to push her out. Faust has a super good jump for getting away from stuff.

Just learn to respect that these characters have specific zones where they are more powerful than you (Sin at full screen, Millia on knockdown) and avoid those areas as best you can while being safe. Once you get close enough to Sin or far enough from Millia, you have the advantage with item toss, j.2K, far S, and 5K.

Sin has no mixup if you just block low and react high to the overheads.

WTF does this even mean? "...has no mixup, as long as you block his mixup."

-_-

WTF does this even mean? "...has no mixup, as long as you block his mixup."

-_-

You can't react to his low, but you can react to his overhead. So block low and look for the overhead, than shift your block. He now can't open you up at half screen for half life.

Don't mash tech. Don't think of a tech as something you do to get out of damage, think of it as an invincible movement options you can do after getting hit. While you're still in the combo, if you want to get out, try teching right before each move, so that you can go through a move when you tech. 

This is excellent advice.

You can't react to his low, but you can react to his overhead. So block low and look for the overhead, than shift your block. He now can't open you up at half screen for half life.

You can react to it, but that doesn't mean you always will. If it did, nobody at a certain level of experience would ever get hit by any reactable overhead ever. And they do.

As far as blocking things go, if I find myself yielding to their neutral and being put into blockstun, it is just as bad as if being knocked down. The point of the game is to avoid the opponents attacks while fitting in yours.

There are a lot of ways to avoid getting hit, blocking being the standard but not best solution (try blocking Zato unblockables). You can jump, double jump, backwards/forwards air/ground dash, mash out your pokes, etc. You have all these options and sometimes its confusing when you should get in, but that's why you have to be patient and understand how your opponent reacts to the way you handle your approach to them (OTHERWISE KNOWN AS THE NEUTRAL PHASE). *burps* ;3

More like "You can't react to his low, but you might be able to react to his overhead, and you're completely ignoring throws."  Not the finest advice, overall.  I tend to agree with D-D-Domo - win at neutral instead.  That's better advice, if you're going to give advice that doesn't really solve the problem.  And there isn't any advice that solves the problem, or the game would be super easy.

More like "You can't react to his low, but you might be able to react to his overhead, and you're completely ignoring throws." Not the finest advice, overall. I tend to agree with D-D-Domo - win at neutral instead. That's better advice, if you're going to give advice that doesn't really solve the problem. And there isn't any advice that solves the problem, or the game would be super easy.

Sin's Bull Bash hits at two thirds screen. It hits at super jump height. It hits everywhere. He gets half life off it even at half screen. There is no such thing as neutral against Sin unless you can get close enough to him to stop Bull Bash. The only reason his ability to cancel his specials into specials is fair is because of his Calorie Gauge, so if you block enough of his specials, you can run in on him while he's eating.

Bull Bash is 32 frames startup. If you can't react to that every time, you shouldn't be playing fighting games. For comparison, Millia's 6K is 19 frames, which is fast enough to hit people with correct conditioning but can be blocked on reaction. Sin can't throw you at his optimal range, which is half screen. Sin gets damage by utilizing his superior range, not by actually rushing you down. He has options that are just unfair in neutral and lead to big damage. The easiest way to lose to Sin is to try to play footsies when you don't really understand his options. There are certain ranges where Sin will just dominate most matchups, and if you try to contest him there, you will just lose rounds to things that you could have blocked.