Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

shtkn

[CT-CSE] Critique my Jin Thread. Post videos of yourself playing and get advice

Hi guys, new to DL:shy:. Just thought drop by say hi and ask your opinion on a throw trap I've been working on as well as my game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwGxUH1FQpk - This is against Hexagram_RX's Jin

At 1:13 I setup the trap by finishing off the combo with a D ice car in the corner, then 2c, j.b, read the directional air tech recovery and JC throw. You could also substitute the throw with a j.d freeze reset. Keep in mind this only works if your opponent recovers forwards or backwards in the air. They can escape by neutral teching or by just waiting a little longer to recover. However you can use this to bait the neutral tech and keep the corner pressure going by not jump canceling and canceling the j.b with j.a to throw or delay, j.b again.

Now is this actually a good thing to do or am I developing a bad habit?:psyduck: It seems to work pretty well. Also any advice on my game would be greatly appreciated.

I look forward to playing all you guys.:keke:

Regarding the throw trap, it's neither good or bad in my opinion. Occasionally throwing it out is a good idea. Also note it's pretty easy to tell. I'd say you would be able to sneak up on someone with that once, but after that I don't think it would work again. I only scanned the first round. Since the other guy doesn't zone correctly either, I can't comment on anything other than you need better combos. And IB some.

Thanks ryokoalways, I think from now on I'll save throw trap as a last resort and finish up my combos. I've always been kinda bad at IB'ing. I don't know if it's lag related or just my inexperience, but I usually end up eating a hit or getting a regular block. Is there any trick to it or is it just a backwards parry, 5 -> 4 high or 5 ->1 low?

IBing just comes down to recognizing which block string you opponent is going to do. IBing isn't difficult by itself. It's when your opponent start frame trapping that things gets really messy. By itself, just go into training mode, record a block string, and start getting a feel of the timing. Then it's all about actual match experience, because you need to be able to respond on the fly. And I wouldn't say don't use your throw trap at all. It's going to come down to the flow of the round. If you opponent is panicking (say, you sucessfully counter one of his block string with something like IB dp) because he just got nailed unexpectedly, and since a c dp counter has horrid prorate so you won't get too much damage out by completing the combo, feel free to all of a sudden throw the trap out because you are sacrificing 200-300 dmg for another 2.5-3k, meter pending. Also, anything mixup/throw related generally has a higher chance of working online, so just because it may seem to land with great freq online (and also imo, online competition is not all the good) does not mean it will be a good thing to spam. I think the best way to figure out if something will work is to record it and use it against yourself. That's the best way to tell if something seems legit.

I liked that throw trap, Double D. I've been using the "japanese" air throw reset, in which you try to grab them after a 214D > 2C. If they tech out of it, you can airdash back in and proceed to attack your opponent. Just a little observation though. You don't seem to get 5C > 6C > BnB constantly when you hit crouching opponents. Practice that on training mode, even if you already know how to do it, it helps to stick it to your finger memory when you get the chance to use it. And try not to use 6C on block strings too much either, unless you predict your opponent is going to punish you and use 623B. I'm also new to DL =D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RzyFqy3hTxI vs litchi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zvVOogB51IQ vs tager

i normally just lurk, but if im going to play this game for real then i need to get some critique.

The only thing I noticed is that I'd use more 5C against Tager when you're closing in on the ground. It seems you prefer 3C in that range (also against Litchi I noticed).

Hi guys, new to DL:shy:. Just thought drop by say hi and ask your opinion on a throw trap I've been working on as well as my game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwGxUH1FQpk - This is against Hexagram_RX's Jin

Just a quick note... stop using 6C on shielded opponents! D:

It's very prone to punishment, unless you're intentionally baiting them for a DP or something else. You have some nice moves though I do see several dropped combos. I'm guilty of all the above myself as well. ^^;

(The trap is pretty cool and should be good to use when they're not expecting it)

Just need some advice or pointers on anything I should be doing. The quality is a little bothersome (small little camera at 15fps), and the clicks are loud. Some funny comments here in there.

Me going 3-0 against my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ub69EKn021U

Me going 1-3 against my friend (probably the only time he won a whole set that night).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyKqYZvsMIA

One of our "closer" matches.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBamiE3e2K8

I really try and manhandle him in this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_QKY5NMXJk

Some bad habits I noticed are that I drop combos often, I rely on CH 5C> 5D too much, and I try and throw like its no one's business. :vbang: Anyway around these, or anything you guys notice I should do instead in certain situations?

EDIT: The drop combos is more of technical failure on my part, so its really more about what I should do in place of the other two, or whatever other flaws I have.

Stuff

Things I noticed:

1. Too much air ice blade. You could be going in for pressure with jB or something but you're throwing these out and missing instead. Against other characters I could imagine getting counter hitted because of this.

2. Lots of 236D on the ground from the entire screen away. They can hop right over it.

3. Ice Car A unsafe if instant blocked (if I recall correctly)

4. Randomly throwing out 2D is getting you nailed. Hell, just random attacks in general, like D DP.

5. Corner pressure. Instead of hopping backward when you think they're gonna roll out of the corner, try the 2B or 5B to get another combo in to punish rolling.

6. Abuse 5B more.

7. 6A > Ice Car. I would suggest learning 6A > sekajin > combo. Does more damage (I think) and moves them into the corner.

Other than these, just learn more combos so they're easier to pull off and you have more options to capitalize on opportunities.

Thanks I definitely think these will help improve my Jin. 1. Yeah I tend to spam Air Ice Blade on Rachel because her Cat Punch (6A?) always seems to beat or negate my jB so I just try and bait and maybe get a hit. At least it gets rid of pumpkin. 2. Good point. Ill stop that. 3. Yeah all the cars are unsafe. I like throwing out car A now and then to keep close without actually dashing in. My friend can always instant block the second hit of the other cars and punish, so I throw A in block strings sometimes to make it seem like Ive scrubbed up and done one of the more dangerous cars. 4. Yeah I have a habit of getting stupid, and doing drive moves from up close, or when Pumpkin is coming. 5. Ill definitely look into this because if I can get it to work, it would help a lot. 6. You got it. I also play Ragna, so thinking about 5B's shouldn't be too hard. 7. Awesome. 6A> Ice Car is a little unreliable as sometimes the second hit whiffs. Thanks.

mazterskill1: Should be obvious, but learn your combos. Also, you spend waaaaay too long barrier blocking Tager. His blockstring (if you could call it that) was probably half the length of what you thought they were.

mazterskill1: Should be obvious, but learn your combos. Also, you spend waaaaay too long barrier blocking Tager. His blockstring (if you could call it that) was probably half the length of what you thought they were.

okay ill have to check how long those intervals are in between attacks

I'm no expert, but this is what I got from it. First, you need some variety in your blockstrings. You seem to keep repeating 5C 5D 214A or some similar variant (you used it three times during 0:24 to 0:30, resulting in getting countered). Second, you may want to work on more complex combos or perfecting the ones you were attempting. The only time I saw you do damage was from combos involving a basic 2B>5C>(3C/214B/both), and ice waves. Third, you need to incorporate Jin's EX moves into your game more. I don't know if you noticed this or if you did this on purpose, but you didn't use a single one in that match. Also, Jin isn't the type to rely on Rapid Cancels all that much except for the throw-your-opponent-off moment.

Yeah I didn't use the more complex combos because the input lag was making my attacks miss. So I just stuck to the basics I knew were going to work. For the punished block string I was just screwing around As for not using EX moves, that's just habit. I usually save it for end game when I feel like I need it most.

I use ice swords like they're I've only got a minute to use them. I've pretty much dropped the bnb air combo and now just shoot for j/236D to nget them airborne, I rely on the DP's a lot... I j236A/B/C to keep opponents away. my defense is rubbish I can't IB and mostly barrier block and I can't punish for shit. I generally use a hit and run style snf likr to stay airborne and like to combo into air combos I guess... if the opponent can keep up I'm screwed. I don't have any videos... I don't know how...:vbang: my crossover tool is JD because if it fails 214C and I escape... sometimes... I suck at getting past blockers, especially low. I rarely use DD's. and I suck

I noticed you doing a lot of black beat combos off freezes. Big example was near the end where you did a throw, then 6C. You would've been punished with a decent combo every time if that Noel player could get out of the ice. Otherwise seems like an improvement over your last vid.

I noticed you doing a lot of black beat combos off freezes. Big example was near the end where you did a throw, then 6C. You would've been punished with a decent combo every time if that Noel player could get out of the ice. Otherwise seems like an improvement over your last vid.

ah i guess ill have to change up that combo, i agree too because the startup is slow and the opponent has a lot of time to shake off the ice. any combos you recommend for me??

Do the staple 214A cancel during a throw into 5C jB jC etc. Freezes are easy to break out from if your opponent can see them coming. Getting grabbed gives them more than enough time to start wiggling before they're even frozen. However, also bear in mind that letting them shake out is also an option for resets. Play mind games, etc. Also, abuse your jump cancellable moves for baiting burst. Jin's bnbs are bloated with jump cancellable moves. For noels that drive on block, don't barrier block drive strings; that's like refusing an offering to "counter me". Learn to react to her drives and IB/punish. Also, at close range, I don't know why you jump and air dash (not IAD) past them into jB whiff. Too high for cross up. If you're gonna jump at that range, hover around and fish for counters or AAs. etc. etc.

There are plenty of grab combos you could go for, most of which start with B+C(throw) -> 214A(whiff). Some examples: B+C(throw) -> 214A(whiff) -> Sekkajin(8 hits) -> Dash -> 5C -> [sJC] -> J.B -> J.C -> [JC] -> DJ.C -> 214B B+C(throw) -> 214A(whiff) -> 5C -> [JC] -> J.B -> J.C -> J.D -> 214B B+C(throw) -> 214A(whiff) -> 5C -> 2C -> [sJC] -> J.C -> [JC] -> J.C -> 214B Corner Only: B+C(throw) -> 214D -> 6C -> 6D -> 5C -> [sJC] -> J.C -> [JC] -> J.C -> 214B

Eh....i don't really have much to show....

I only have two vids on like thanks to the help of Kurushi and one of my buddies...

This is from August i think some of you have seen it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdsSbYrUWVQ

SOOOO many things wrong..i didn't practice any bnb's at the time..though watching it as i type this i set up so many..and all those random DP's...god damn..that 5C>6C>2d's that i set up and dropped >_<...and way too many 6B's

This is from A week or so ago...it isn't my best but you can see improvement...unfortunately my friend only recorded the first round since it was a perfect..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTYxwZKYJ-Q

I've watched this a few times and can see so many errors i made that would have made me eat a fat combo if the Nu was any better...

Im a bit too reliant on EX DP corner combos..and i've asked Moi for advice personally via PM and he told me things like don't rely so much on 5d and that the air grab was risky.

I know my Jin is scrubby as hell but any advice you can give based on the short video would be very appreciated.