Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

LifeIsGood4

Looking for good tutorials and guides I cant find much content that isnt combo vids

is there any good vids or tutorials for new players that arent combo videos ?

I feel like theres gotta be more info out there. Anyone have good character guides or anything ? Best places for XRD guides? 

The game has a tutorial mode... and a mission mode....

and the only way (from my point of view) to get better with characters is to watch high-level footage.

I was just hoping there were some vids that went over the characters and let me know what moves are good and why or what moves to use sparingly or not at all. Eventually I will figure out but these vids are amazing for people just starting out.

I thought Maximilian was doing a tutorial series?  Also, there should be a Guilty Bits series for Xrd eventually... I thought I heard that it was in the process of being made.

Look at the character specific forums for now since there's a ton of info there to help you find what you're looking for.  As far as "what moves not to use", GG is generally pretty good about every move having a purpose in some context in some matchup somewhere.  We don't have close and far normals for every button (only the Slash button), and we only have enough buttons for our fingers (unless you count Respect).  This leads to a tool set that's concise.

The game has a tutorial mode... and a mission mode....

and the only way (from my point of view) to get better with characters is to watch high-level footage.

Going to call this frame of reference out for being limiting.  Standing on the shoulders of giants will help you improve quickly, but if you don't do some of your own growing you'll only be as tall as the people you got a boost from.

There's definitely a lack of strategy content for this game. I guess the scene is smaller than most games, so only a small number of people are making videos for it.

I would just go on Goldenrody's youtube channel and look at some of the vids, see what various players are doing with their characters. Try to emulate what they're doing in conjunction with learning the game through the tutorial/mission modes.

I thought Maximilian was doing a tutorial series? Also, there should be a Guilty Bits series for Xrd eventually... I thought I heard that it was in the process of being made.

Maximilian himself needs to watch tutorials and learn how to play the game properly.

Yeah, I think newbies like us really need some sort of "basic strategy guide." I just see it as, if you don't understand the game, then how do you get anything out of watching high level players if you have no idea what they're doing? The things you pick up from watching them are setups and gimmicks, but you don't really get anything else, at least IMO. Is there a proper way to play the game? Why is Maximillian so bad? He looks pretty good to me, though I have no idea what I'm watching XD. But yeah, it's true, we're spoiled by SF4's large player base. :p

Watch guilty bits.

The core gameplay of the characters didn't change that much

(I'm aware that this is a late reply)

Didn't Novil did a whole series off the +R cast? and if I remember correctly, he uploaded Xrd I-No's not too long ago.

Step 1: Do the tutorial. Seriously, it's incredibly complete and teaches you all the basics.

Step 2: Do missions. This will teach you the more varied FGC mechanics such as punishing, spacing, reversals, ETC. Not just GG fundamentals, but FG fundamentals overall. 

Step 3: Do challenges. If you haven't found a main you like yet, go through all the characters to about mission 15-20 or so. This will let you go through all their specials and some very basic combos. It'll help you get a feel for the characters so you can decide if you like their playstyle or not. 

Step 4: Just play the game. You'll lose. It's okay. By losing you can pinpoint what you need to improve on. Is it execution? Is it your footsies? Whatever. 

Step 5: Dustloop Resources. There's a wiki with information that covers almost everything. You can ask people about combos, or to critique your gameplay. 

Step 6: Repeat Step 4 and 5 until you receive a banana sticker. Then keep repeating Step 4  and 5.

To illustrate how useful the challenges can be, today I tried Zato's out during my lunch break.  The game teaches you a setup for buzz saw oki into a j.K > dj.K mixup, and the resulting combo goes into a 5D wallsplat into a Drill Unblockable setup.  This was ONE of his challenges, and it wasn't even his last one (it was the second to involve an unblockable setup though).

The challenges don't teach you the most optimized way of doing things, but they force you to do things the hard way, and they show you stuff you'll need to learn.  If you can do the challenges, you can play the character.  Maybe not every character has stuff that's this well thought out, but from the 3 characters I've gone through I feel like there's almost no excuse for not learning the game (unless you just don't want to play it, which is fine).  The game will do a good job of teaching you the basics, and enough intermediate stuff that you could figure out the advanced stuff on your own.  The only thing it doesn't have is built in frame/system data or a hitbox viewer.