Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hollysmoke

Streaming Card/HDPVR

Not necessarily GG related but I didn't know where else to post it. I was wondering what would be a good stream card or HDPVR or what have you. I did some research and heard both good and things about the popular Avermedia/Roxio choices. Just looking for what the community things or if people who run events could weigh in their opinions or thoughts of hardware they use themselves.

a lot of people use the elgato hd60, not sure if they have a ps4 capable product yet, or were you talking about for your pc?

I'm poor graduate student levels of poverty, but I'd like to stream and record content from my PS3 and edit/upload to youtube. My intention is, ultimately, to make guides that cover execution-related content that a lot of players ask about ("How do I dustloop? How do I use Eddie? How do I jD FDC with I-No?" etc). Break down character-related mechanics that are gatekeeping new players from trying them out in a manner that allows them to practice and study. I was reading about the Elgato. Is there anything I can get that's around $100 or so?

EDIT: My setup is my PC is in my room beside my TV/PS3 setup, if that means anything.

SECOND EDIT: I also have some old Sega consoles I wouldn't mind streaming for funsies, I think I need composite recording for that though.

I don't actually know much about the Elgato or any other options.  I did have an older Hauppauge PVR and did not like it.  

I just bought this: http://www.amazon.com/AVerMedia-Portable-Capture-Xbox360-60Mbps/dp/B00B2IZ3B0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424886451&sr=8-1&keywords=avermedia+portable

It's $50 more than you are asking, but it's pretty versatile.  The main advantage is that it's very portable, and they made it with gaming in mind.  You can also flip a switch and have it record directly to an SD card.  A lot of people in our scene use these, so we can easily stream and record when we play offline without hauling a ton of shit around.

What you need to know about the PS3 (and likely the PS4), and this is very important, is that the HDMI port is copy protected.  This means that ANY streaming solution you use is not going to function on the HDMI port, and the Avermedia, for instance, includes an adapter so you can use component cables.  There are a few HDMI splitters on the market that unintentionally kill the copy protection, this one worked for me (bought a few days ago): http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9LVXC/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You really don't want to have to use component cables; the quality is worse and it's just that many more cords.  Even using HDMI cords you're looking at a lot of cords snaking around your desk, but with component cables it's a total explosion of cords.  Do whatever you can to get a splitter that kills the copy protection; you have to either buy one you know works now, or keep an eye out.  I've heard it's a production defect that makes this happen, and most splitters will retain the copy protection.  I've seen splitters that killed the protection in like April 2014 getting comments on Amazon that the model changed and the more recent ones don't kill the protection.  If you get a splitter that doesn't cut out the protection, or if you use the capture card's built in ports, you will just get a black screen on your streaming/recording software.

The Avermedia portable can do 720p at 60 FPS, or 1080p at 30fps.  For XRD on PS3 you're limited to 720p anyway, so you can do max framerate and quality for this game, at least.  For other games or if you move to PS4 you'll have to make the decision of resolution vs. framerate.  The Avermedia works with OBS via a patch on their website, and it also comes with proprietary software AND a free few months of Xsplit that you can use instead.  I find OBS just fine though.