Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dude Butts

Let's have a calm and honest discussion about Blitz Shield

I've found BS to be a significantly better alternative to Slashback, and hardly anybody used that anyway. It's not as useful not being able to do it while in blockstun, but I've caught a lot of players off guard with it. The only habit I've yet to ingrain is to go ahead and super when you land one, since that's the only thing that is a guaranteed followup. 80% prorate isn't so lovable but for a 12f counter window, that's still pretty good.

Throws whiff on rejected, since it technically counts as hitstun, and only works as a read if they counter BS. People always compare it to Guard Impact, but it also feels a little reminiscent of EFZ's recoil guard, if you could BS during blockstun.

Wait.... there's Blitz Shields?

I must have forgotten that was in the game.

The fact that you said this with an Akatsuki avatar amuses me more than it should.

I like it; I think it's a situational defensive option that can't be easily abused. You can't really use it in block stun (Since that's what Dead Angle is for) but you can punish obvious reads or holes in strings, and if you mess up you eat damage. Risk, reward. I'm just thankful that Rejected! doesn't carry CH properties otherwise it'd be bullshit.

Blitz shuts down a lot of online gimmicks, but I avoid using it so I don't get comfortable with easy Blitzes.

I think it's a good mechanic that stops autopilot pressure and has enough penalty that it doesn't overwhelm other defensive options. I like that it's another Burst-like tension option. Counter Blitz seems extremely risky at any amount of tension since you get CH state and possibly remove the 80% prorate

I really like the relationship with YRC. I would love to see more Blitz use so we would see more YRC to specifically bait them. YRC oki to punish Blitz is so fun to pull off.

For sake of completion, the 1.1 loketest changes:

1. Wider input buffer (3F up from 2F)

2. Blitz against projectiles will stun opponent at throw range

3. Projectile Blitz no longer refunds tension (new from test 2)

I like it. It gives characters with lacking defensive options some way to deal with different stuff. I'd recon some characters would struggle a lot with May air shenanigans but BS gives them a chance to get out and punish predictable repeated behavior. It also gives a way to deal with Zato pressure if your execution is on par, there's even a trial for that specific situation.

It awards good reads. I think that is good design.

I did not like that half tension was regained so I'm happy with the changes. BS is more expensive but better.

You get half back on success, or 12.5%. The change is that only Projectile Blitz gives back 0%

I never heard of Blitz affecting tension pulse so I assume that's the change

You get half back on success, or 12.5%. The change is that only Projectile Blitz gives back 0%

I never heard of Blitz affecting tension pulse so I assume that's the change

"Overdrives and Blitz Shield have no effect on Tension Gain."

Derp. Little bit of quick research answered my own question. 

BS does not prorate tension gain like Faultless, Dead Angles, or Cancels, but from my testing I'm pretty sure it does increase tension pulse by about as much as IB does.

Also, there's the fact that if you have gdlk reactions, you can BS a BS which, so far, I've never seen utilized

i think when it gets to this point, it's gonna be like 3s parry into srk madness. just straight up meter duels.

I use it a lot as a Bedman player, in situations where I can't really do anything else (certain Leo strings, bandit bringer, bedslams, millia left/right mixups). Some people forget that you don't have to actually going for the punish once you've landed a blitz...you can get away or set up your oki while they're stunned.

Also, there's the fact that if you have gdlk reactions, you can BS a BS which, so far, I've never seen utilized

if you get rejected you have 24f before the opponent even moves, and the game actually shouts at you rejected. it's really kind of easy to react to

the tension gain with slashback was something I didn't really agree with in accent core, I think it kinda served to penalize projectile characters like venom and dizzy and ky for their strengths.  I have to admit, blitz shield has turned out to be a decent, balanced alternative.  My only wish for the next version would be to remove the whole blowback/counter blitz mechanic and maybe have it just delay the cooldown frames a bit, like parries from sf3.  

This would strike a good balance between allowing a player to better react to a successful blitz, and encourage the player to know how to punish a move they really expected.

I like it lots. It's a great way to get your opponent to actually pay attention to how they're pressuring you.

I love how you can pull off your own Blitz Shield if you got hit by one yourself. It's hype as hell pulling off a succesful Counter Blitz Shield.

I mean, if it's a slow move you're probably going to get punished regardless, depending on the scenario.

Depending on the scenario is the key phrase there.  Without BS you can carefully space slow moves so that they're very hard to punish, with BS your spacing doesn't matter.

It also does weird shit like lets you punish with a full combo because someone with no meter 2Ped you on wakeup.

It's obvious that Blitz Shield was meant to be to Slash Backs what YRCs are to FRCs. That is, a slowed-down and more user-friendly reworking of a highly technical and input-demanding mechanic that was sometimes cited as a reason why many people found it incredibly difficult to get into competitive GGXX.

It's obvious that Blitz Shield was meant to be to Slash Backs what YRCs are to FRCs. That is, a slowed-down and more user-friendly reworking of a highly technical and input-demanding mechanic that was sometimes cited as a reason why many people found it incredibly difficult to get into competitive GGXX.

This pretty much sums it up

But ... slash backs didn't even address a problem with the game.  If there were a game that actually needed this mechanic it's BB, not GG.

Helpful against auto-pilot mashing as mentioned earlier in the thread. I've been working to consciously use it more.

This and dead angle is something you don't see online too much, but they are helpful if inciperate them in the fight.