Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bandit Revolver

Ragna Critique and Self-Improvement Thread

At 1:17, that was supposed to be a CS, wasn't it? If so, same thing happens to me sometimes :v:

It's not too significant, but better throw combo than the one you did at 0:30s:

5B+C > DS > 5C > sjCD > BE > 6B > 2C > 5D > ID©236C236C > CU 3C

= 3557 dmg, 41 heat

compared to 3465, 39. If there's a better one someone post.

EDIT: woops there is. From the wiki:

5B+C/4B+C - 5C - 5D(1) - 214D - 5C - hjc j.C - j.D - jc j.C - j.D - j.214C - 5D - 623C(1) > 236C > 236C - CU 3C

= 3702 dmg, 46 heat

At 1:17, that was supposed to be a CS, wasn't it? If so, same thing happens to me sometimes :v:

Yeah it was. I think i input it too fast, because i was trying to beat the slight button delay.

It's not too significant, but better throw combo than the one you did at 0:30s:

5B+C > DS > 5C > sjCD > BE > 6B > 2C > 5D > ID©236C236C > CU 3C

= 3557 dmg, 41 heat

compared to 3465, 39. If there's a better one someone post.

EDIT: woops there is. From the wiki:

5B+C/4B+C - 5C - 5D(1) - 214D - 5C - hjc j.C - j.D - jc j.C - j.D - j.214C - 5D - 623C(1) > 236C > 236C - CU 3C

= 3702 dmg, 46 heat

Thanks a lot, i'll keep that in mind for next time.

about that combo @2.00 use 5C after DS,no reason to use 2C

Yeah, i really need to start making use of 5C after DS. The reason behind me not doing that is because i get too paranoid that 5C will prorate the combo too much, that i won't be able to combo into 5D after. Thanks.

Quick question, how would I land 22c after 5D, you know to finish a combo?

I've personally never been able to do it even when slipping in a quick dash to get a bit closer to the corner but still no success :(

Quick question, how would I land 22c after 5D, you know to finish a combo?

I've personally never been able to do it even when slipping in a quick dash to get a bit closer to the corner but still no success :(

You have to make sure to knock your opponent down in a combo with any of the following moves:

3C

6B (Knocking someone from air to ground)

2D (Requires 50 heat, BK, or CH)

Axe kick (Only in BK)

CS (1)

Once you've succesfully used any of these moves in a combo, you'll be able to end in 5D > 22C.

Example Corner combo:

5B > 5C > 2D > RC > 5C > 5D (1) > DS > 5C > H.JC > j.C > j.D > BE > 66 5D (2) > 22C.

learn to crouch confirm your combos so that you can gatlings 5C > 6C and learn better combos overall

delay the second hit of gauntlet hades so that you can followup the air chain j.C j.D

works on your gatlings

stop jump back air dash

stop random hells fang

What!? Noel's 5A clashes with ID? Madness.

Anyway..

Uh, pretty much what gramas said and a few extra stuff from me:

j.B jump-ins? I mean you might want to calm down on the jump ins, unless you want to be hit with an anti-air. If you are looking to get in with ragna, use j.C instead. The extra vertical hitbox added to j.C in extend allow for better jump ins. It's also slightly harder to anti-air j.C as a pose to j.B.

Also..

Never. Use. 6A. On. Block. Never.

Unless you are willing to RC into lows (2B, 3C) or just jump away. But it's a waste of heat really. Heat is better spent confirming into a GH or something.

Yeah, against me it became apparent around match 3 that your Tager matchup knowledge was really lacking and you were falling for what I thought were some dumb resets. Don't air tech above Tager when magnetised, just.... don't. If Tager hits with two colliders in the same combo the repeat rate kicks in, it does bugger all damage and you get to tech the floorbounce.

Mhmm, I'm still new-ish to the game and haven't met many Tagers online, thanks for the tips! I felt like I was doing better with the resets in the later ones after you mentioned the tech traps.

Tager loves people who air tech. But at the same time, he loves people who never tech at all. free resets are the best resets after all.

Mhmm, I'm still new-ish to the game and haven't met many Tagers online.

I'll tell you this for free. The main game to play against tager is just a waiting game really. Playing footsies is even danagerous in itself, if the tager can instant block. You oughta be more careful now in EX, because Tager's Mag is stronger, and with an increased combo rate, he can get more damage with relative ease.

You have to basically play super dry against tager, wait for the tager to mess up, then punish accordingly. If he uses 2D, punish with a spaced 5B or 5C. If he Super high jumps i do one of three things:

1. Air throw. (Only to be done if you are feeling gutsy..as tager can use j.2C to stuff your throw attempt. He'll get a counter hit)

2. Run underneath him and use 5B on the otherside. The opponent will have to block the other way to block the 5B.

3. Just run all the way underneath him to the otherside and do nothing.. allow the tager to get frustrated. Remember, you have better mobility.

The idea is to get the tager frustrated, so that he can mess up/make mistakes, and you can punish. (After all, it is fair that we do that to at least one character, since Mu does it to us -_-).

-Limit your block strings against tager. Not many people realise, but ragna's pressure has quite a few holes in it. All it takes is one IB > 720..especially after 2C.

-Limit DS use, especially when mag'd.

-Limit GH use..also be ready to rapid if need be.

If tager is getting too backdash happy, Use 6C to catch his backdash. Also make sure you are hitting those instant blocks, you'll need em for tagers that do:

Whatever > Sledge. especially a sledge after 5D on block.

Don't always be so ID happy, all it takes sometimes is a simple Dash 5A after an instant block.

Always keep tager guessing after he uses gadget finger, mix up what you do, just as he mixes up what he does.

ID/Backdash/Jump/Ghetto BK (If you really fear for what the tager might do next).

Hope this helps. =]

http://youtu.be/acbSkAbz6yw

Don't suppose you guys could critic a few matches of mine? some advice would be lovely

Personal opinion: My blockstrings aren't too good, combos need a little work (only really noticed once I put it up lol) and I feel I jump too much lol

You have to make sure to knock your opponent down in a combo with any of the following moves:

3C

6B (Knocking someone from air to ground)

2D (Requires 50 heat, BK, or CH)

Axe kick (Only in BK)

CS (1)

Once you've succesfully used any of these moves in a combo, you'll be able to end in 5D > 22C.

Example Corner combo:

5B > 5C > 2D > RC > 5C > 5D (1) > DS > 5C > H.JC > j.C > j.D > BE > 66 5D (2) > 22C.

Just a few things to point out.

You said your combos need work, so i'm not going to comment too much about that. I do think you need to block more on your wake up though, the opponent is getting way too many counter hits on your wake up. Holding back is the best move in the game.

Also, your opponent rolls away from you too much, which means you lose your attacking force. You need to tech trap them more, if you feel that they are going to roll, then use 2B to catch their roll. After a while when they have realised that they need to stop rolling because of this, you can then switch up what you do. Go for meaty 6B's if they emergency tech, or go for 22C's if they delay tech. This is where conditioning your opponent comes into play.

Try also using the 22A~C option select.

@1.53. Relius' tend to charge into you with Ignis after that distortion. Just GH over ignis and relius. It saves you from all that mix up. Ignis only goes in one direction, so she won't turn around when you pass her.

For tager stuff, look at what i said above. Also @ 4.17, becareful of tech traps, best strategey is not to tech when tager hits you like that. If you do happen to tech by accident when a tager is going for that reset, just make sure to use j.B as you get close to the tager, it will beat his AC.

Backdash after Tager's 2D on block. =(

Use 3C on 6A attempts to drag you in.

Overall learn tager's resets, and don't tech. The people you were playing need to learn how to hold the block button.

Just a few things to point out.

You said your combos need work, so i'm not going to comment too much about that. I do think you need to block more on your wake up though, the opponent is getting way too many counter hits on your wake up. Holding back is the best move in the game.

Also, your opponent rolls away from you too much, which means you lose your attacking force. You need to tech trap them more, if you feel that they are going to roll, then use 2B to catch their roll. After a while when they have realised that they need to stop rolling because of this, you can then switch up what you do. Go for meaty 6B's if they emergency tech, or go for 22C's if they delay tech. This is where conditioning your opponent comes into play.

Try also using the 22A~C option select.

@1.53. Relius' tend to charge into you with Ignis after that distortion. Just GH over ignis and relius. It saves you from all that mix up. Ignis only goes in one direction, so she won't turn around when you pass her.

For tager stuff, look at what i said above. Also @ 4.17, becareful of tech traps, best strategey is not to tech when tager hits you like that. If you do happen to tech by accident when a tager is going for that reset, just make sure to use j.B as you get close to the tager, it will beat his AC.

Backdash after Tager's 2D on block. =(

Use 3C on 6A attempts to drag you in.

Overall learn tager's resets, and don't tech. The people you were playing need to learn how to hold the block button.

I see, that does make sense thanks

one last question, I feel I should take advantage of 6D more because I've heard its one of Ragna's best pressure tools but I've personally haven't had much luck using it beyond taking advantage of the jump cancel if its blocked

any advice?

I see, that does make sense thanks

one last question, I feel I should take advantage of 6D more because I've heard its one of Ragna's best pressure tools but I've personally haven't had much luck using it beyond taking advantage of the jump cancel if its blocked

any advice?

You can do a lot of things from 6D. Firstly, you can use it anywhere in pressure, but it's best to use it up close, so that you can cancel into j.D and amplify your mix up options.

From 6D, you can do one of many things:

1. 6D > j.D > Jump cancel

2. 6D > j.D > GH (double overhead)

3. 6D > delay GH * (we'll come to this in a sec).

4. 6D > Jump cancel

5. 6D > delay j.D > 5A (Used to reset pressure, as delayed j.D > 5A is REALLY tight)

6. 6D > delay j.D whiff (Fake overhead)> 2B (You have to use the j.D late, in order to cancel it into a land on the ground, then go for low mix up with 2B)

7. 6D > delay j.D whiff (Fake overhead) > 6B

8. 6D > delay j.D whiff (Fake overhead) > Throw (Kara throw if possible, as you might be out of throw range. If you can't kara throw, just dash and throw).

9. 6D > delay j.D > Backdash (To bait reversals/DP's)

* - Never use this unless you have conditioned your opponent to block low after 6D with Number 6.

Why should you never use it otherwise? Because the likelyhood is that if you use 6D > GH, your opponent will block it because they expect an overhead to come anyway (being j.D), which is why you only use it if you have conditioned them to block low after 6D.

You can do a lot of things from 6D. Firstly, you can use it anywhere in pressure, but it's best to use it up close, so that you can cancel into j.D and amplify your mix up options.

From 6D, you can do one of many things:

1. 6D > j.D > Jump cancel

2. 6D > j.D > GH (double overhead)

3. 6D > GH * (we'll come to this in a sec).

4. 6D > Jump cancel

5. 6D > delay j.D > 5A (Used to reset pressure, as delayed j.D 5A is REALLY tight)

6. 6D > delay j.D whiff (Fake overhead)> 2B (You have to use the j.D late, in order to cancel it into a land on the ground, then go for low mix up with 2B)

7. 6D > delay j.D whiff (Fake overhead) > 6B

8. 6D > delay j.D whiff (Fake overhead) > throw

* - Never use this unless you have conditioned your opponent to block low after 6D with Number 6.

Why should you never use it otherwise? Because the likelyhood is that if you use 6D > GH, your opponent will block it because they expect and overhead to come anyway (being j.D), which is why you only use it if you have conditioned them to block low after 6D.

I see, my mind now bursts with new things to try!

learning to delay the j.D in order to continue pressure will be interesting, but shouldn't be too hard, soon I shall be godlike! (insert evil laugh here lol)

-Kid, you sir are awesome

Fyi. Tager's combo rate was left unchanged. The base damage of his moves and general combo length went up however.

First post in like a month on this thread, lol. Anyway, I'd appreciate some feedback on 2 matches. I know I need to work on my pressure & combos, but I'd like a second (or more) opinion.

Match 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PNsOG9BFQE&feature=youtu.be

Match 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fXFG2-RZgP4