Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HurricaneDennis

[CT] Ragna Block Strings and Mix-Ups

When all of my mix-ups fail and I've been pushed almost into 5C range by barrier, sometimes I like to throw out a 2D which is pretty safe at that range and on hit it, especially if it's a counter-hit, you can follow up with 5C into the BnB air combo. If used sparingly, that max range 2D will definitely help anyone's mix up game. Up close though I wouldn't recommend it - it doesn't combo into anything on block as far as I know and it might be punishable.

I'd be careful about who I try that on. Several characters can punish 2D regardless of distance.

I've tried experimenting with a meaty 2D after a DC'd 5D on hit. Judgment? It might work because 2D is sort of deceptive in its hitbox when done on air-teching opponents, but it's not the first thing that would ever come to mind in a match. If it does work, you're not going to suffer from so many recov. frames because the 2D is supposed to hit late, so you could combo it afterwards. This is just theoryfighting, I'm not crazy enough to try it out in a real match yet.

I've tried experimenting with a meaty 2D after a DC'd 5D on hit.

Judgment?

It might work because 2D is sort of deceptive in its hitbox when done on air-teching opponents, but it's not the first thing that would ever come to mind in a match. If it does work, you're not going to suffer from so many recov. frames because the 2D is supposed to hit late, so you could combo it afterwards.

This is just theoryfighting, I'm not crazy enough to try it out in a real match yet.

No. :/ To many people in the cast can punish 2D. And its VERY easy to see. Most of then don't even need to instablock it.

If you want a low, just hit with 2B.

But the better question is, if you're hittin with 5D DC, why aren't you ending with 6A JC Combo, or if the hit counter is high, 5D Hell's Fang?

So i have skimmed through this and i realize that a universally safe block string only exists in fairy tales....so how do i go about creating one that is relatively safe against most of the cast.

Safety with ragna isn't so much about airtight blockstrings or frame advantage like with other characters but fear. For example, 5B and 5C are often considered unpunishable, not because they aren't punishable, but because of the amount of options Ragna has after one of those moves. If they were to try something they run the risk of getting walloped for it. Basically, with Ragna you have to play the opponent, flow-charting doesn't work so well with Ragna.

2C is always safe if blocked. Even if your opponent IBs, you're only at -4 (fastest attack in the game is 5 frames), and the followup options from 2C are strong, so most people won't try to attack you after blocking it if they know better.

The difficult part is being in range for 2C. If you can get that close, you're home free.

you know since my experience in CT I realized one thing about ragna:

throw out a lot of unsafe stuff at random times and your opponent will not wanna try anything on you.

I swear I did so many silly things like 6B RC>6B and 2B>3C RC>dash 6B.

I am shocked this shit works especially how precious meter is in this game.

question is in CS would doing stuff in CS be necessary or just a waste of meter? (lol)

I think that's BB in general. Since most moves in the game are either unsafe or disadvantage on block, you're tempted to try and counter attack right away after blocking something. With that kind of mindset, someone can fuck you up badly by just being really unpredictable. Someone coming from a more traditional style of 2D fighter can really get screwed over by it.

CS Ragna is overall a LOT safer than CT Ragna. The change to 5C is highly noticeable: a move that used to be death on block is practically unpunishable if spaced properly. 5B is also slightly safer depending on where it hits because they extended the active frame and reduced the recovery. The move is normally -7, but if you can get it to connect on the last active frame, it's neutral on block. In most poking situations, if you're spacing 5B, then you probably won't get punished for it. 2C, as noted earlier, is incredible. +1 on normal block, -4 if IBed, which makes it completely safe, along with very strong followup options (3C or 6D are both good options after blocked 2C).

The other thing that makes CS Ragna safer is the side effect of his meter gain being huge. His combos give him between 40% and 60% Heat on average, so he almost always has meter to RC. You can basically do a lot of stupid shenanigans and RC to stay safe or even create new mixups. You do max range 5B on block and make the other guy guess between 2D or GH, which gets you a free combo either way on hit (for even MORE meter), if they block you RC and restart pressure, plus your opponent is 1 primer closer to a guard crush. This is really strong after a combo that ends in 22C in the corner, just hit them with 5B after the grab and force the mixup (or do Dead Spike for +5 and primer removal).

I would say that players who are still focused on CT Ragna mindset of doing risky stuff all the time and trying to always "read" the opponent will suffer in CS. Play safe and pick your reads carefully. Ragna is top 3 for a reason.

so in other words ragna can land 1 combo and then he can do whatever he want while sitting on that meter?

also CS ragna sounds so promising.

Ok thanks for the insight on not using a sort of flow chart style, i try to differ during strings just learning whats safe and what isn't to me is hard ill have to look up the frames since im not to familiar with them yet.

Good times.

Good news everyone, I'm back to the fighting game scene.

You might have missed me from Gamecombos.com I know, it was like 5 years ago.

I still love you all, and this thread has been useful. Kudos.

Is there anyway to combo off a belial edge? Perhaps counter hit only? There are some situations where it could be used to counter an attack that would normally unpunishable (like a wiffed Lamba sword when your really high in the air).

I believe BE>5A works, but only on Tager. BE is a crappy poke anyways though, so it shouldn't matter.

in CT, doing the following 5b,6a,6d.jd,6b,,6c, Hells Fang.

and you rapid cancel in repeat

but Ragna's 6d is slower and can be stopped with a 5a. so how do i pressure in CS

Well as someone said in The Ragna Block Strings and Mix ups forum, Ragna's pressures work better in short bursts. In CS Ragna's block strings are also safer. 2A,5B,2B,5C, and 2C are all what you should be adding into your block strings. Maybe not all of them at once or all the time but they are your basic tools and unless I'm mistaken I'm sure they're all safe even if your opponent IB's them.

Since Ragna's pressure works better in short bursts you have to get the opponent to think "Oh crap whats is he gonna throw next?" Is he gonna try to throw me? Go for a tick throw? Will he throw a Deathspike? Is he gonna go for an overhead? Or a low attack. Thats pretty much what you have to make your opponent think in the match. Plus since you get heat a lot quicker, and Ragna's meter gain is pretty darn good in this game with the right combos and such you can also throw in rapid cancels and catch your opponent off guard.

That's the basic idea of pressuring. Ragna's got a lot of tools to do it in CS so just go in training mode and experiment.

Lots of nice information in sol's post, I can't add much more to that - the way I tend to end my block string is either with a 3C or a 2C. 2C for the +1 frame advantage and 3C since its jump cancel-able.

My block strings could go like this:

dash 5B, 5C, 2C...

dash 5B, 5C, 2C,3C(JC)...

dash 5B, 2B,3C(JC)...

in the corner:

5B,2B,6B

5B,2B,3C

You can use this is a starting point then when you get more confident, start messing around with Rcing and the like.

and 3C since its jump cancel-able.

Hmm, never thought about incorporating a JC in his blockstring. Then again, I am new to Ragna in CS. Its funny cause I can't play him for nothing on CT. I'll have to give that a try. Anyways, I generally poke with 2A and then:

->5B->5C->5D->DC...

->5B->5C->2C->214D (Dead Spike)...

->5D->DC->3C->5D->DC...

->5B->5C->3C->5D...

->2B->6B->5C...

I'm working on:

->5B->5C->6D->j.214C (Belial Edge)

->5B->5C->2C->JC->j.A->j.C... (Since Jin has a similar blockstring)

Lotta holes in those strings. Dp bait imo.

Well, most blockstrings don't come with a guarantee card anyway. That is when mix up comes into play so you can keep your opponent guessing. a good Jin for instance, if he is seasoned can interrupt several things with his 623A. It is only 6 frames on startup and is only matched by Ragna's 5A/ 2A. The thing is if you bait your opponent to DP and block or if you mix up your high/ lows you can create an opening. Like I said earlier I'm still new to Ragna but I've been able to use the above mentioned blockstrings to yield some pretty good results and I haven't been cut off with a DP yet...

If you're getting interrupted by jabs and something like Jin's 623A(with no invulnerability), your block string is really bad.

If you're getting interrupted by jabs and something like Jin's 623A(with no invulnerability), your block string is really bad.

Yes, true. But I'm referring to being baited into a DP in which case a prime example would be after a DC'd atttack. If I'm not mistaken Ragna's DC is 22 frames which would leave you at -4 if done after 5D in which case if you tried to attack and an opposing Jin did 623A, Jin would win. When I say "interrupted," I'm talking about a Dash in attempt whether it is after Ragna's normals or a Dead Spike. Not mid attack sequence...

why are you trying to mix in dash cancels when people are trying to DP you? you have dead spike and jump cancels accessable in extremely important parts of your string