Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

HurricaneDennis

[CT] Ragna Block Strings and Mix-Ups

why are you trying to mix in dash cancels when people are trying to DP you? you have dead spike and jump cancels accessable in extremely important parts of your string

Okay, 1. People aren't trying to DP me. When I DC, I am merely extending a block string. My opp. usually keeps up his defense when I DC. 2. If they were, I wouldn't be dash canceling.

As I stated before, I am NEW to Ragna, so if there is a better way, I don't mind being corrected. So far, my online play has been ok with Ragna. I've been able lay down some heavy pressure with him with just a few well placed high/ low mixups leading to an opening to a BnB. Especially 5D->DC->3C... After the 3C, I cancel into 5D and go from there...

P. S. Cool to see you Ladon. I'm sure you're suprised to see that I've put down Jin and picked up Ragna...

Deadspike is miles ahead of DCing in a string, DCing is usually for when people are too afraid to throw out a 5A or relatively scared to poke period from pressure

usually if the 5D option is open you have more safe options, like 6D-j.D for continued pressure or doing a 2D from a distance that's unpunishable by the character you're against

online play you might get away with 5D-DC-3C but that particular string will get you fatal'd by the majority of the cast when they see it coming.

it's better to learn your character with safe pressure then praying and hoping they don't want to throw anything out, the way you're describing your pressure it would be fodder for any smart tager, hazama, or anyone else with solid reversal options that net large chunks of damage.

I also noticed you put down 2C as jcable when it's not, it's just +1 so it's safe to jump after it but it's not a JCable normal.

don't you have to like press the back button once during the Belial and it'll instant block all of it a la Nu's million swords distortion?

sounds like a good way to get caught with anything that's 9 frames or less, not to mention how close BE nets you on non-Barrier block

Guess you're right. I've noticed that a lot of times when I try to make my way inside, I'll use BE and if blocked I get punished. Sometimes I'm successful with that...

Guess you're right. I've noticed that a lot of times when I try to make my way inside, I'll use BE and if blocked I get punished. Sometimes I'm successful with that...

I will admit that with some Air to Ground blockstring and resets BE is good. But I don't do it when people are already on the ground. It's not worth the risk. I'll take the risk when:

I just finish a BE combo and use 6A/5C as my finisher to let them Air tech afterwards. Ragna don't have many green throw wake up setups so I just throw shit together. Now, from there I can go for the JC BC or JC BE. I have yet to be throw outta BE. I don't know what that hitbox is doing but...it's catching people. So i'm working it into my game more.

I used to finish off BE combos with 5D->623D->236C->214D and then I would BE to the ground and hope to catch the opponent but that only works in the corner if the opponent tech rolls back. I've found it better to just simply land and go from there...

i'll just post some stupid shit i use.. maybe some of you might find it useful

frame traps

2a xN -> 2c is a fatal against people mashing throw or jabs.

2c -> 6c/2d will catch people out of their jump for 3.5k+22c oki

3c -> delayed 2d will catch people out of their jump for 3.5k+22c oki

5c -> immediate 2d will catch people out of their jump for 3.5k+22c oki

214d -> immediate 5b will catch people out of their jump, possible to combo into 5d double belial depending on distance.

random/gimmicky mix up

5b->214b

5a->2147b

6a/3c->IAD 623d RC. condition them to not jump out of your pressure first.

6d->j.D whiff into 6b, throw or 3c.

dash in deep, jump over them, air dash backwards and catch them with a j.C into GH. fake cross up basically.

after using a belial, dash under them, then 2a or barrier dash under them again for a double cross under when you predict the emergency tech. go into whatever you want.

after using carnage scissors in corner, dash 2a under them for a single cross under when you predict the emergency tech

5d -> RC -> 3c/2d

2c -> 6c (1) -> RC-> 6b/2147b

both of these actually work because you cannot gatling a low from 5d and you cannot gatling a high from 6c, so it is a 100% block situation if they know this.. unless you RC to mix it up

resets

2c->dash in anything

2c->6c (1) -> DC

6d-j.D->5a (air tight block string if they do not instant block 6d..)

214d->iad j.A xN until one of you land

214d->dash in anything if you condition them to not jump away after 214d and if you also read that they won't try to CH you with a dp

about 6DD into 5A.

it's a brick wall even if they instant block everything. you can get the 5A no matter what providing you do the 6DD as fast as you can and are in 5A range.

if 6DD(2) (The followup which is often called J.D) is NOT instant blocked, you have time to dash in and do just about anything in the world. really really.

I hate to press the subject, but I am 100% sure that 6DD>5A is impenetrable.

So, no Shoryu, jump, backdash, nothing. All that can be done is different types of blocking, CA, and burst.

I've tested this pretty extensively. I have set the dummy to instant block to first hit only and I have gotten

6DD>5A.

I have recorded the other player doing 6DD>5A and well, I instant block, and let go of back and am still stuck in block.

One of us is crazy.

This has nothing to do with the frame gap, but is the 5a a fuzzy guard? Not like it's an overhead, just want to know if that's a useful tick throw (kaqn style sorta) and pressure tool.

Also are you or your computer bots barrier blocking? I don't know either way my xbox blew up, so I can't test this stuff right now.

This has nothing to do with the frame gap, but is the 5a a fuzzy guard? Not like it's an overhead, just want to know if that's a useful tick throw (kaqn style sorta) and pressure tool.

Also are you or your computer bots barrier blocking? I don't know either way my xbox blew up, so I can't test this stuff right now.

Just tried it myself, yeah the 5A has to be blocked. Even if they crouch it still connects.

The problem is you have to be literally in their face, and do the j.D late for the 5A to reach after 6DD. Unless they instant blocked something, cause that has less pushback. If they barrier any one of the moves, the 5A doesn't reach. It's still neat and looks like the safest way to continue pressure after it if you see these conditions are met.

and I believe this is where the confusion is with there being a gap in the string. If you do 6D, then j.D as fast as possible, there is no gap even if they instant blocked the 6D. However, if you delay the j.D enough so that the 5A can reach (when they only normal block), there is a gap if they instant blocked 6D. I couldn't find a timing to the j.D that was late enough that 5A would connect (assuming they don't instant block j.D to create less push back), but fast enough to close the gap when 6D was instant blocked.

I just learned that when the opponent is on the ground, there's a gap between j.A > j.B, even on normal block. Also a gap between j.B > j.C. Only way to chain air moves on a grounded opponent and have no gap is j.A repeated or j.C > j.D. Kinda sucks.

But anyway this is a little mix up off a low j.C/j.D blocked from one jump, other than doing air GH.

- low j.C/j.D blocked (RC) > air dash j.B > j.C > 3C...etc

- low j.C/j.D blocked > 2B

EDIT: just occurred to me, this can be applied after 6D > j.D.

Just another way to hit them if you've got extra meter. The air dash j.B works, assuming they block low after thinking you can't do anymore air moves because you're so low to the ground. You can also just do air GH after the j.C/j.D for less damage and no 22C ender, also misses at certain heights/ranges so be careful with that. If they IB the air move (and you did it low enough), there is no gap if you 2B, but a small gap if you try for the RC air dash j.B or air GH.

If you double jumped or air dashed into the air move, you can just do air GH for an overhead. Unless you manage to do this funny set up,

- jump over opponent > low air dash back j.B(RC) > j.B/j.C...etc

- jump over opponent > low air dash back j.B > 2B

140-150% (Hakumen-Tager)

2A, 5B, 5C, 6D, j.D, dash 5B, 5C, 3C, 214A (RC), 6D, j.D, dash 5B, 5C, 3C, 214A > 214D

*escapable before first 6D. Breaks at 214A on Hakumen, 214D on Tager, 5C on Jin.

Hakumen can't use a reversal here?