Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Lord Knight

[CT-CS1] Whoa. HUGE. (Litchi Basics Thread - New Players Start Here - UPDATED for CS)

A lot of the same questions are being asked in the everything thread, so I'm making a short, basic FAQ before I edit the guide with up-to-date info.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Should I even play Litchi? What are her pros/cons?

If you're reading this, you're already halfway there! I can't decide who to play for you, but I can list pros/cons for the character:

Pros:

High meterless damage off any hit, coupled with high meter gain

Some of the best mixups in the game

Can corner off almost any hit

Great ukemi game - she's able to stop anyone from rolling out of the corner

Can rushdown and zone effectively

Great range

Pretty fast

Cons

Lacks a solid anti-air - most of her anti-air options are pretty bootleg

Reversals all got weakened in CS

Hard to get out of pressure

High execution barrier

2. Wow, I really don't understand some of the terminology you're using. What's ________ supposed to mean?

Here's a list of Litchi specific shorthand terms. Anything like "tk" or "236" is a universal term, so if you don't know what that is you should look at the General FAQ. These can all be found in the "What's a Litchi" thread as well, but here is a quick list in case you overlooked this.

Haku/Hatsu/Chun - These are her rekka's, 236A, 236B and 236C, respectively.

Staff2 - This refers to the second hit of the staff launch, on its return. Main thing to keep in mind when you see this in a combo is you aren't actually hitting a button here.

Itsuu - Short for Ikkitsuukan, Litchi's guard point stance performed with 41236D~.

[m] - denotes holding the Mantenbou.

Tsubame - Short for Tsubame Gaeshi, Litchi's DP when holding the staff.

Kote - Short for Kote Gaeshi, Litchi's DP when the staff is placed. A "6" or "4" before it lets you know which way you should move it.

{D} - This is holding the staff in place by holding D, then releasing it after she recovers.

[D], ]D[ - [D] is holding D, ]D[ is releasing. Normally this notation is only seen when she uses other moves in between holding and releasing the staff

[A+B] - This is Litchi's Barrier Cancel, a technique described more in the CS guide.

3. Ugh, I can't get ________ combo to work. What am I doing wrong?

Keep in mind that any combo involving launching the staff requires that you are on a certain spot on the screen, and may be character specific. Before posting and asking for help, check the guide. In CS it's likely a timing problem, or you're picking the wrong part of a combo to use.

4. I know Litchi has two modes, but which is better? I personally like playing ____________.

You don't want to just focus on one mode. Litchi's play naturally flows between both modes (as seen in her combos). Each has advantages over the other - playing with the mantenbou means you have big range, but it limits your pressure and your damage is low. Playing without it opens up mixup options and has higher damage, but your range is smaller.

4. I can't combo smaller characters/Carl!!!!

As far as universal combos, don't treat smaller characters as if they are special. As far as other things, read the combo list and practice!

5. I can't do Haku > Hatsu > RiichiA > IppatsuA at all!

There are several things you can do. First off, dash 6Kote will make this work 99% of the time. Input it with 6623D. There are a couple of situations where you won't have to use it (ie, off forward/airthrow). Make sure to judge your distance properly! There's a really specific distance where it is actually detrimental to do dash kote, but that comes with experience. More often than not, dash kote is the way to go. Also, keep in mind that ItsuuA has set untechable time (when they hit the ground), so if they are really high in the air, you have more time to do dash kote.

ATG Matenbou made a helpful video which showcases different methods, but don't forget - if there's any doubt, just do dash kote.:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hMdBp4RuuA&feature=player_embedded

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have a question besides one of these, make sure you read the guide first, because it's likely that it's answered in there.

This would've been a lot of help if you posted this two days ago, I had to find out everything for myself :vbang:. You should turn this into one of those simple question, simple answer threads, if that wasn't the original purpose.

This isn't Litchi specific but what does the 'TK' notation mean?

I'm not entirely sure, I had to make a few assumptions, but I think it means Tiger knee. I have no idea how that name came to be but it's when you do the input for a move followed by a jumping direction so that you do the move as close to the ground as possible. For example to TK (a TK'd??) chun would be 2369C.

You'll probably want to put a brief explanation of what the input notation is in general here since really new players won't have any idea what 236A is. Either that or list moves like :d::df::f::abt:.

Oh I see. So the theory is that you technically start jumping a couple frames before the move starts?

Yup that's exactly it.

The name obviously comes from Sagat's Tiger Knee move where the input for it was 2369K.

the input for sagats tiger knee is 623K. TK chun or tk anything is called tk that because sagats tiger knee was a gliding kind of move, like hes doing a knee thrust right after he jumps. so, in other games (or moves) TK just means doing it right after u jump.

the input for sagats tiger knee is 623K..

Now it is, but originally it was 2369K. Hence why everyone calls a motion that rolls to an Up diagonal position Tiger Knee.

Hey all, new to the game (sort of) and loving Litchi, but I got a few questions. 1) What combos are MUST learns for newer players? Obviously the character specifics come later, but of the universals available what are most needed to start off? 2) Is there enough space in her 6Bs to kara a back throw? I have thus far been unsucessful, but it might just be cause I suck. :sweatdrop: Thanks in advance.

Hey all, new to the game (sort of) and loving Litchi, but I got a few questions.

1) What combos are MUST learns for newer players? Obviously the character specifics come later, but of the universals available what are most needed to start off?

2) Is there enough space in her 6Bs to kara a back throw? I have thus far been unsucessful, but it might just be cause I suck. :sweatdrop:

Thanks in advance.

1) I think I fairly decent combo to start with that isn't especially difficult is 5A (or 2A, which is slightly safer), 5B, 5C, 41236D~C, 66, Jump->B, j.c.B, (air)C, D (for staff release).

It's probably one of her easiest basic combos to pull off, and has the advantage of being usable on all characters. Albeit, it's not an amazing combo like most of her corner shenanigans tend to be, but I think it's a good starting point.

2) Since the direction of the throw is decided right after you grab them (and I literally mean RIGHT AFTER) you should be able to throw in either direction off of kara.

Oooo. Didn't know that about being able to input the throw direction afterwards! That's good to know! Thanks much! I'll give it a shot later tonight. I'm kinda having problems landing that last hit (edit: the JC, not the staff) of that basic on Ragna, but I'm sure it's just an execution error. Practice makes perfect! Thanks again!

Quick question. The final hit of the great wheel isn't an overhead? I could've sworn I've had people crouch block it. (Not near my PS3 so I can't check this out atm.)

wuts a good way to get pressure off of u when u have/dont have staff?

With staff = tsubami gaishi (DP motion with D button)

Without = Not sure yet, but I tend to use Barrier to create space, then poke with 5C or chunn.

chun is not a great poke imo, unless u intend to rapid cancel.

My mistake; meant to say hatsu. Chunn really is a bad poke w/o RC.

Aye Riichi is a very good tool to get space and to get back near your staff. Aside from hatsu (and sometimes haku depending on the situation) just returning the staff will worry opponents enough to make them back off for a while, though you'd have to do that before they got to you so you don't eat the combo. In general though if you drop a combo or something happens that leaves your staff planted get it back as soon as you can. Tsubame > anything staffless by far, and the pokes with the staff (j.C/5/6B) are your best bets.

Hey guys I just started to pick up Litchi because I thought I was going to play Noel but after messing with litchi for a while I really like her instead. Anyways I've been looking on the combo thread and what the hell does the notation "JBC" mean and "JC" is it Jump C? or jump cancel? either way I still have no idea what JBC means (Junior bacon cheesburger?) This one in particular: 5B 5C(2) 3C [D] ]D[ iad JC haku staff2 dash JBC land tsubame 6C~ Are there any videos showcasing something like this?