Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kyle

[CT-CS2] Carl vs. Arakune

Although deceiving that cloud above Carls head only prevents him from super jumping or double jumping. I find empty Jumps an effective spacing tool with a occasional late airdash to close the gap. Carl has just enough recovery frames to do J.B (whiff), Airdash. This is tricky enough to work. 5C clashes with the every annoying Arakune-J.B from a little distance. I HIGHLY recommend J.B for air-to-air situations. I have yet to figure out the optimal way to escape the corner rape. It's like Slash Ky. =X 2A, 5A, J.A, J.2C, Alle~can works for interesting pressure options.

arakune's 5C rapes anything you do if you airdash, so keep an eye out for that. Theres this one time i actually hopped over arakune's 2D with carl's dash lol. God knows how it happened, but it did lol. ground pressure sucks on arakune because he can IB 5C and backdash and it teleports him to behind nirvana :vbang: Same with 236236D. IB a hit and backdash. Hard matchup for carl in every aspect :(

I've been having MASSIVE trouble with this guy! All he does is play keep away, launch a cloud, and spam falling overheads like j.B while shooting out those low hitting feet eating bugs (wtf IS that?! a low hitting projectile that can be launched in the AIR?!). Every match goes a little like this: He shoots off a cloud. If it's a homing one, he goes on the offensive (probably using j.B), if its a following one, he teleports everywhere and sends it into my face, following up with ground combos. If it's an overhead, he does the above and stays in the air on the other side of the screen while spamming the ankle muncher cursing bugs that HIT LOW (do I have that wrong?! please tell me that I'm mistaken and just can't block for crap!!) and having the ever useful j.B ready for when i get in close. The first two clouds arn't too bad b/c i just make ada eat them... but I can't punish defending against a projectile so he just keeps summoning them until he gets a ceiling one. And then he just teleports away whenever he's anywhere near nirvana... so I find myself just rushing in at about IAD height to avoid the bugs, hoping to get a long enough combo to summon ada and rape him with pressure. it works about 15% of the time, which is an F--. So now i know not to air dash at all, so what... do I just 9 jump all the way until i get to his face? There are only so many tagers online to raise my self esteem before i meet someone proficient with arakune and tear it immediately back down again... I'd rather face nu! at least she's open for counter hits on a whiff!

First time i heard someone actually call Nirvana Ada :keke: But yea, sounds about right. Nothing you do can beat that stupid jB, jumping/IADing results his 5C or j6a/b/c raping you. All i can say is a lot of smart blocking, and i say smart because you need to control your barrier so you don't guard break/barrier break. If he clouds, then use Nirvana to eat it. The cloud in the air can be blocked if you use 8D (or 2D, forgot which one) with Nirvana under it. Block a lot, when he jumps and does the ankle thing then iad closer with nirvana nearby. Sucks matchup really. The only good thing about this is the throw loop feels easier to land on arakune because he has a big hitbox. But then again, setting it up is harder.

CounterHit 623]D[, J.B, Allegreto, 8]D[, 2C, 8]D[, Throw loop

spam the crap out of 623D. Its a life saver. The occasional jump up and mash A works to. 6A beats the dive moves. The issue comes from determining which side he's gonna hit you with it.

one of the largest problems i've had with arakune, and this probably goes without saying , is not understanding the characters moves, not understanding where hes vulnerable, and where hes going to pop up after doing some of his moves. spending some time in training as arakune, and exploring his basic normals, has given me alot of insight of when i'll be able to poke during real games.

if you're gonna poke, don't poke with 5B. Arakune's landing animation sinks him into the ground, i've been killed MANY times because i saw them land and try to 5B, it COMPLETLEY whiffs over their head, and then i get punished since 5B has oh so awesome recovery for its range and priority :psyduck:

That thingy Ada does where she spins on the ground, hitting both ahead of her, and behind her, gets me quite often when Im, for some reason, grounded. . . Sorry I dont actually know what the command is for it ^^;

What bothers me most about this match up (and arakune in general) is that while there are some very skilled arakune players out there who know how to trap you, combo you and do infuriating things like 6C loop you, it is sometimes just as difficult to fight the scrubby arakunes who curse you then flit haphazardly about the screen and throw bugs at you from every which way and angle. I simply cannot keep track of 2-4 small bugs AND a giant flying jello jiggler. It hurts my brain. Is it really just over the moment you get cursed c.c (Carl on Carl match ups irk me for a similar reason in that 'keeping track of all the objects on screen' way but atleast It's something i'm familiar with.)

I hate this matchup the most. I just can't keep arakune grounded. Whenever I try to sandwich him, arakune players (noobs) would mash 4 or 6 (arakune's teleport dash) which gets him out of the sandwhich for free. I can't do sandwhich pressure and go for a IAD allecan reset since they would mash 4 or 6. Any tips or am I the only one with this problem?

I gave up ground trapping him. You're not alone. ... During the holes in my pressure I do J.A to catch his jumps, if he backdashes I can Airdash to keep up and put him in blockstun again.

I hate this matchup the most. I just can't keep arakune grounded. Whenever I try to sandwich him, arakune players (noobs) would mash 4 or 6 (arakune's teleport dash) which gets him out of the sandwhich for free. I can't do sandwhich pressure and go for a IAD allecan reset since they would mash 4 or 6.

Any tips or am I the only one with this problem?

Against mashers, instead of allecancel try an IAD kara cancel. If he's mashing jump, you might grab him out of it. If he's mashing backdash, you'll end up adjacent to him for the reset. I know I throw out kara cancels a LOT in this match-up against mashers, lowers the amount I have to think.

When mashing 4 or 6 you cant block low

!

They do it after 6]D[ such that you can't keep them in blockstun unless your ground loops are much tighter.

Then that is a valid escape that would require you to guess he is going to do it. Theory fighting here (cause i've never tried) but could you possibly react and 623c (into 2d?).

I don't think it would reach anyway. And the backdash is usually a whiffed j.C for you, so I doubt you'd recover in time. BTW, is CS matchup being integrated into these threads, or will there be CS matchup threads soon?

This is from Arakune perspective, its all relevant.

- Run away if Carl pushes the doll towards you. When backed into the corner teleport through to the other side (Carl isnt quick enough to punish this without leaving doll on the other side).

- Snipe him with j.ds as he approaches to force Carl into blockstun. It'll stop the doll from attacking, moving and potentially a chance for some free meter and curse (Carl is bufferring lots of directional inputs when trying to approach - otherwise not blocking).

- Carl cannot punish Arakune properly for clouding (especially after a DJ into allegretto combo). Nirvana 623d CAN catch you but she can only camp half the screen, just take the other side (shes not fast and the teleports have lag).

- Homing cloud is absolutely bonkers in this matchup.

- 2d forces Carl to jump. Carl cannot dash jump to punish safely on a guess he needs to yomi that shit and IAD j.2c allecan/IAD j.2c kara throw.

- Arakune's backdash will get him out of situations other characters can't.

- Fucked up damage.

- Very dangerous reversal super.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z44Auq4kLp4#t=05m45s

I think this also highlights something we should have in our matchup threads in general. In addition to discussion i think it might be wise to take from all this and have a generalized list of Do's, Don'ts and look out fors on the main post. Sort of like the Carl Starter Guide but for match up data. I think by giving a simple and approachable starting point (as opposed to having to dig through each thread) we can give a better foundation for actual match up experience to build on. edit: maybe even a separate thread?