Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bashoomba

[CSE] Jin Help! The "I'm a n00b seeking advice" thread.

SHTKN MOD MESSAGE: this thread is for new players that have questions about how to play Jin that aren't simple one-liner question answers (that's what this thread is for). Post away!

Hello, i mostly play jin, and when I'm getting pressured and try to mount a counter assault it seems whatever attack i throw out, almost ALWAYS gets stuffed in my face. I'm not gonna post and complaining that there moves "shouldn't" beat mine (I'm sure its a error on my end), I'm more looking for advice on what to get out of pressure strings with. Also I'm having a lot of difficult getting into a combo. It seems looking at a lot of the combos that most of them I'm using start off 1a,2b, or 5b. These attacks are awfully short ranged and I'm having a lot of trouble being able to get close enough for anything other than one of the C's of D attacks to hit (which are terribly slow, and on wiff or block get me pummeled). I'm just looking for a bit of advice on these issues. I'm still learning to get combos down consistently and such, but i can live with losing cause my execution isn't where it should be (i get ridiculously nervous when i play online). Any advice would by helpful.

also, as these kinds of question probably pop up a lot around the forums, it would be beneficial for the beginner guides to talk a little about general tactics, combo setting up, and getting out of pressure strings. While these things are second nature to seasoned GG players and BB players, newbies like my self, have a lot of trouble with them. Looking around the character forums there is a lot of talk for looking to set a combo up, or to counter after block, but not a lot of advice on exactly what are some of the better options in more common situations.

Thanks for any help you all can provide. its much appreciated.

Many thanks

Bash

If you are still here, I can provide you with some hands-on practice using either Jin or Hakumen. Let me know if you want to play (as I finally have access to a TV).

The main thing to remember when you're getting pressured is to stay cool; if you freak out you're more likely to make mistakes. Remember that when you are blocking properly the only thing that can hurt you is a throw or an unblockable. If you freakout and worry about breaking out of the pressure ASAP you'll miss little oppertunaties your opponent leaves for you to escape, and won't be able to read overheads or tickthrow setups as well as you normally would. If you get panicked your opponent will be able to trick you with frame traps or counter hit your pokes if you do so at a bad time. So above all else STAY CALM! Pretend you're Bruce Lee, count sheep, recite mantras, do whatever you need to do to stay cool and collected. Observe your opponent's strings; does he do the same blockstring over and over? Does he tend to lead into his overheads using the same setup? Does he have a particular move he likes to do a tick throw off of? Does he like to mix in frame traps and try to get you to poke out? Watch his habits; see if you can get a good read on him. If your opponent uses the same string, Instant Block the last hit and do a 623C (it's invincible for frames 1-21; but has lots of recovery so it's best to be ready to RC it). If your opponent is going to tick throw you toss out a 2A (you should be crouching anyways). If he's going for an overhead Block or Instant block it and punish if you have time. If he's doing a frame trap do nothing, just keep blocking (you can go for an IB here but it's risky). And if you're not sure what he's going to do, or you are not confident in how to counter him, the safest choice is to block. Your opponent is not perfect, he will eventually make an error in pressure, learn to identify and exploit these opportunities, but beware of him mindgaming you with a feint if you have been to eager to escape through the match. As you continue to thwart his pressure he may start to feel agitated and become more obvious or sloppy with his strings and mixups, when this happens you can more easily breakout. Well, that's about all the general advice I can give you about dealing with pressure; all of this comes from me watching vids and my personal experience with massive and long lasting pressure. The Absolute key is to not panic.

You're playing Jin... IB>DP! Don't just throw it out, but, learn to recognize points in strings where it will work.. I'm not that good at it just yet, so I can't tell you too much info on it, but, it's important to learn.. Just don't be too fast to DP when you have an opening because it will get baited. A good mix of IB and FD works as well. FD moves that push will push them out, IB the moves with less block stun to keep them thinking twice about continuing with their strings. I believe you can actually FDIB in this game to cut block stun and push them out, but, I dunno exact properties on that.

I believe you can actually FDIB in this game to cut block stun and push them out.

Yup.

But it's "Barrier Guard" now, so technically it should be 'BGIB'.

One point I forgot to mention, it's a good idea to BG a bit since it pushes them out further and it's harder to guard break you.

Yes I would love to help this situation! Just remember to your self all of Jin moves accept one (DPa,b, or c) take time to get going. I wanna point out that most people pressure "chains" usually have a frame that (DPa or C) can get you out of that situation. Usually you can kinda sense when people are going to get into their "spot" to commence their style of pressure (like NU 13 far on the other side of screen or whenever Good Rachel players blow themselves across the screen), and you start to recognize their patterns. But lets keep it simple. As people use the same pressure games, you can block patiently until a point you can use your (623a or DPa -----> possibly the quickest move in the game) I actually feel and can argue all day that Jin was built to counter all ridiculous mixup games. One thing I do know from experienced from all 2D fighting games is that people that game runs on getting pressure hates to GET pressured. So after you counter, with like a DPa or something, immediately rush them with a 214C or A, stay in mid range and attack with a 5D. Better yet just trap them by staying a little longer than Jin's sword length and work them with 5C -> 6C -> DPA combo If you really had enough of their bullshit, keep that range and bang on C. Jin Combos are usually short because he can freaking freeze...duh....haha

I recommend 2 things to deal with pressure. First, use every character in the game and identify generally how their normal works and how they can gatling together. Figure out what are their overhead options and what leads into that overhead. Second, read up the 101 guides in each character forum here. Everyone has been kind enough to create an in depth tutorial on how each character works what their best options are and what can kind of mix up game they have. Doing that alone has single handedly saved me in several match ups. The Litchi match up in particular was easier to handle once I understood how to tech recover against her mix ups and what to keep a look out for.

i am renaming this thread to be a catch-all for noobs-seeking-advice-please-help-meee threads so we don't get like 20 of them. IGNORE ME

Ok so ive been playing blazblue pretty casually for a while now, but now i wanna go and get a bit better. My mains are Jin and Taokaka. Im descent with both but want more tips for my main main (ugh that was weird) which is Jin. Also i kinda have a problem with Iron Tager. Mainly because his combos are so god damn painful and do too much damage to me before i can do any actual damage, any tips? (ALSO first forum post w00t :P)

First tip: Check out the matchup sub-forums for more detailed information on fighting Tager. Second tip: Learn what's safe and what's not. Practice hit confirming off 5B or 5A and going into 5C 6C if they are crouching, 5C j.B if they are not, and a ton of other options if they are blocking. Third tip: Play people who are better than you. When you're just starting, it's more useful to play against better Jins because you can see what kind of tactics/combos they use and try to incorporate that slowly. As you get better, you can learn more from other characters.

Watch tourny vids. Go to training mode and practice your bnbs to 99.99% success rate. Go play pvp and emulate playstyle you liked from tourny vids. Then it's all self-improvisation from there. Jin specific tips: Know your jump cancellable moves Know the uses and limits of jB Know your DPs Know EX corner combos Create frame traps in your block strings Know how to look for punishable moves and hit confirm them into combos Know resets

one thing that is really hard to pick up from watching vids is to buffer your dashes. most new jins cant do the standard ground combo no matter how many times they see it mostly because they dont pick up the very fast dash off of jB jC jD. its very important to be able to cancel this dash into a 5B to continue pressure and keep forward momentum.

My main question is how to use combo his C moves, without accidentally spamming the C mash by accident, everything else works perfectly for me, its just that damm C mash -_-.

umm press c only once? :psyduck: if your coming from other fighting games sometimes its a little weird to progress through the combo before actually watching it happen, but you should never have to press a butten more than once unless you mean to. also if your using a stick check and make sure turbo is off :kitty:

yeah but when i try doing 5c into 6c into juggle, right after 6c it usually ends up doing the mash, XD lol so far it is the most annoying thing im dealing with right now everything else about him just kicks ass

Hi, I've been learning some basic combos and special moves of jin and i've notice a lot of his moves require him to be in close quarters with the opponent (forgive my ignorance if this is not the case...it's just what i've noticed in my short experience). May I ask what are the best ways to close in on the enemy to get a chance to pull off an attack?

IAD j.B is a pretty good way to get in. You can also put them on the defensive by throwing out j.236D. Run up 5B and run up 2A are solid approaches. 236C gives you plenty of time to rush on in too. Try tossing out 5D and iceballs and make them come to you if need be.

yeah but when i try doing 5c into 6c into juggle, right after 6c it usually ends up doing the mash, XD lol so far it is the most annoying thing im dealing with right now everything else about him just kicks ass

Sekkajin (5C mash) registers at the fourth 5C press. People mash to guarantee input, but if you mash past three, you will get Sekkajin. Just mash three times in 1/4 second periods when doing 5C after 6C dash cancel i.e. spread your 5C presses throughout the dash cancel. When doing 5C 6C on crouched or countered opponents, just press 6C once during 5C frames.

Hey, i see this term used a lot here on the forums, they say to use jin's "DP". I read the sticky and it says its a move the makes you invincible from the start of the move, to the end. I can kind of guess what it is, but would like conformation. So whats Jin's DP? and sorry if this is extremely nooby, but i just cant find anything on the internet.

Just so you know, DP means Dragon Punch. As in, Ryu or Ken (from Street Fighter) dragon punch.

Most DP's are done by 623 + a button. In Jin's case, it's 623 B/C/D. The invincibility frames of each one is different though (623A has no invincibility at all).

623B: Invincible in the middle of startup (not at the beginning of startup) to the active frames.

623C: Fully invincible until active frames.

623D: Fully invincible until active frames (of 1st hit).

Thanks for the reply, it confirmed my thoughts :D. Time to go practice this on my friends tager, since it apparently works well after the gadget finger.

Hey guys, I just got started using Jin a couple of days ago. I'm normally a Ragna main but I'm aiming to get Jin's unlimited form in score attack. I kind of went headfirst but it seemed fairly easy to pick up.

The main problem I have I found when fighting unlimited hakumen. The combos I use seem to be easily countered by his instant guard attacks, which he immediately follows up after and knocks off half, a third, or the rest of my health.

In any case I need some tips on making combos that don't have any opportunities for the opponent to break out off. I tend to use the B and C Ice Cars during my combos and I tend to use them to get close at some points.

The combo strings I can remember using fairly often are:

5C>2D>d.c.?>6C>d.c.>5C>j.B.>j.C>j.B.>j.C. (I usually can't hit anything after that.)

(There's usually a random bunch of stuff I do before this combo to try and break the opponent's guard) 3C>214B

On Unlimited Hakumen I sometimes follow up with some string of 5A, 2A, 2B, and end it with a 623A.