Sign in to follow this  
FlashMetroid

Jams Basics Thread

The hard thing about playing Jam in Japan Atryu is that for starters, she has generally bad matchups against the rest of the top tier(Eddie/Test/Slayer)

Tell me about it!!! :vbang:

She is also very hard to play against people that turtle well(imo), ie robo/hos/generally the other close range characters because generally they trade speed for priority.

Yes! ...and Jammy doesn't have any distance moves to press when far... :JA:

Also if you start with Jam, you are going to learn a very weird style of defense based around opening holes with Parry that other characters couldn't dream of, and it is kind of different to start there before learning to guard traditionally.

[Yoda]Yes! yeeeees! Hintalove listen you must![/Yoda]

:grin:

Alright here's a couple that I didn't see the answers for: How do you do the move where she uppercuts and there is a jet of flame going diagonally upward? What factors could potentially throw off doing a loop? Cause I almost have it down, but right now it's only about 50/50. For whatever reason sometimes something will just kinda happen, like when I 6H him (i usually train against ky) back to the wall, he won't be high enough for me to get over in time to contine, or he'll end up behind me somehow, or he'll come off the wall too low on the 236S H and I won't be able to set it up. I was thinking it might have to do with slight differences in distance from the wall or something, cause that should be about the only variable if I keep testing against the same character. For curiosity sake, how useful are IK's? A couple of friends and myself only just recently started playing the game and like...they seem rather impossible to actually successfully pull off. They are easy enough when your opponent is just standing there, but if it's anyone with half a brain...doesn't seem so easy to do. Is there anyway (other than trial and error) to figure out timing on JC and chaining moves for the most efficient combos? Cause there isn't anyone else I know of in my area that really plays so me and my friends are just kinda winging it to try and figure it out (you know the drill, a little button mashing here, random cool stuff happening there). I think that's about it for now, will probably have more later.

1. Her "diagonal flaming uppercut" is 236236HS. 2. Loop can be thrown off by height, character weight, and distance from the wall. Sometimes the character isn't high enough after a really far charged ryuujin, or a really close 236S~D. Way to fix this is to raise them up by doing 5S, 2HS (1), 236S~D. After that they should be at the perfect height to do whatever you want to them. Character Weight can screw you up getting into it from Charged Ryuujin, or a 236S~H. Ryuujin can result in the character to high for certain character weights depending how far on the screen you ryuujin'd this is just something you'll have to try to practice to get an idea for how high is "to high" for each character. You can save it sometimes with a 236S~D as it hits pretty high and after they start falling you can catch them with a 6H before they hit they can tech again 236S~H, 5S, 2HS (1), 6HS, HS when they bounce back they occassionaly pop out after the 6H which is annoying, and it seems to only happen to me on really light characters like Jam. To fix this i generally try to not go for the 236S~H if i can hit something else, but if i have to i just scrap the loop and after 6HS do 5S, j. D, 214K it isn't a loop but it's a good amount of damage. I do believe that their is a way of doing a 236S~D to kinda've throw them behind you back on the wall that i've seen some japanese players do but i am unsure how it works. Anyone who knows feel free to post up. If your to close to the wall they tend to pop out behind you if your just doing 6H against the wall, just space yourself a few pixels back and you'll be ok. _____________________________________________________________________________ IK's are generally worthless, however, they do have 2 actual uses. 1. If you stun someone it IS possible to kill them with an instant kill with jam and a few other characters as they have a quick mode change compared to characters like Slayer. However, if they start mashing you'll have just enough time to do it so if your going to attempt it it's best to RC whatever your doing and do a mode change immediately and do it to them. If continue your combo even a second or so it's possible for them to mash out before you can finish the IK so normally people opt just for a 2nd combo as 2 combo's from jam is nearly death anyways. 2. A.B.A. after she changes mode gets a stun after her gauge empties when she's in her mode (Moroha mode?). If she gets knockdown she loses 1/3 of her gauge with each knockdown. If you knock her down and her gauge empties you can charge and kill her in expectation of this stun when she stands up. _____________________________________________________________________________ For moves that chain into each other and are JC'able best to look at frame data. However, if you don't like looking through that mess and looking just for practical and good damage combo's i recommend looking through these threads as Flashmetroid posted some useful combo's that after reading i use heavily in my game. Check the matchmaking threads and see if you have anyone nearby that you could play with. Best way to get good is to get schooled by better players and steal from their game until you can be competitive against them.

jam is a pretty good starting character imo. shes very easy to play, shes like a shotokan without any projectiles. has easy combos/moves and is always high tire since reload. good starting charcter.

I am sorry but I have to completely disagree on that... I play Ryu in SF2 and 3S, and Jam plays NOTHING like it! (beside the fact that I don't know how you can compare GG with SF gameplay...)

It's very easy to see that jam's character was heavily influenced by the original shotokans in street fighter. Jam is nothing like them, in some ways..in the way that it's guilty gear, but at the same time she's looking for the exact same things and they are and going about making them happen in similar ways , minus the reliability on projectiles. Her fundaments are that of a shotokans imo, except no projectiles.

you gotta understand that difference between playing jam, and playing jam at a high level are whole worlds apart.

on the basic level jam is perfect to start off with, high damage easy combos easy inputs, fast pokes with nice hit boxes 2s ^__^. she has insanely strong area's in her game but at the same time she has a very hard time of getting to the point where she can let it shine due to her extremely limited range.

I started on jam and had such difficulties at the start, I'd just rush and rush and get owned over and over. Until I started realising more and more about her strenghts.

With jam you learn all the finer details off gg fast, because you are FORCED TOO.

It's not like ky and sol were you can just stay at bay and abuse projectiles land a combo and win, this is extremely limited in terms of what you will learn imo.

You can repeatedly do the same shit over and over and still win without learning any of the finer details. With jam its completly different, you know her strengths, her abare is crazy her constant abilitry to keep you on defence, in fear of her abare is scary for the opponent, her frame trap/high low/tick thow/bait rushdowns can be really overwhelming, her okizeme blah blah...BUT THE PROBLEM IS you just don't know how to apply these things.

You are forced to learn the finer details, and fast. Learning how to control space and positioning are learned so fast with jam, then eventually you will learn when to break from these things and go on the offence and how to maintain it and you also learn the importance of breaking your offence to go back into space control and baiting. and eventually you will start to really understand how to bait and punish.

Most of the other characters imo always have one thing about there game that stops you from learning how to deal with certain situations because they have the ability to abuse their strengths and always have this one thing they can fall back on. jam doesn't really have this, she really has to work for it alot more than others, forcing you to gain a much higher level of understanding of the game then you could ever get by just abusing the broken strengths of sol and ky. you wanna learn how to play well, play jam.

Im not saying that playing the other characters you won't get good. im saying you can start off as sol and ky and win and learn the game slowly. or you can start of with jam and not do so well but at the same time learn the game much faster because her playstyle forces you to understand so many aspects of the game.

Jam at a high level is what guilty gear is all about, at this level she is imo, one of the most difficult charcter's to play.

hmmmm... if you put it this way... I will say ok...

However...

I can see that you guys are playing on the console version then... because I don't earn enough money to "learn" jam at the arcades against top players without a VERY strong knowledge of the mecanisms of GG. ^^

(I don't have friends, so I can't play the console version at home...)

Jam at a high level is what guilty gear is all about, at this level she is imo, one of the most difficult charcters to play.

Agreed!

What's the difference between 236S H and 236S D? They looked about the same to me, escept 236S D seemed to be a little brighter. Is maybe part of my loop set-ups problem that i'm using H when I should be using D?

236S~H is a puffball that can cross-up your opponent and will wall bounce your opponent if it hits. Much slower than the other puffballs, and is only comboable off non-counterhit if you don't cross your opponent up.Costs 0% Tension 236S~D is a Force Break puffball that is faster than your other puffballs, has a sizeable amount of upper body invulnerability and seems like a very small amount of lower body invulnerability, and will Wall Stick your opponent when hit. Costs 25% Tension. 236S~D is what you use in loops to reset your opponent if he is to high or low as it tends to set them to the right height. Also, 236S~D Reset allows you to run in for a 6HS, HS without added 5K's and 2HS's which means your loop deals more damage. normally using 1 236S~D and taking out 2 HS (1) or so adds i'd guess about 10% more life to the loop.

More questions! Don't you guys love it? I appreciate all the help though. This time it's with dust combos. Are some of the move in them not supposed to hit? I have seen numerous videos where the person playing jam will be in a dust combo and then use what I believe is j.2K and just shoot straight down and not even connect with the opponent, only to shortly afterwards be owning up on the guy from the ground after he catches up with his fall. I know I'm having trouble with this basic (At least I'm assuming it's basic) D, Homing Jump, j.Hx3, j.S, JC, dj.S-H, 236K. The person starts falling at right about between the second and third j.H, and then he's too low for the j.S and it just goes over his head, and the rest of the combo just...doesn't happen. I was kinda experimenting and I can do D, Homing Jump, j.Hx2, j.S, j.Px4 or 5, j.S, 236K, but I can't seem to get a third j.H in there. On a different yet similar note, how do you set up for a dust combo? It seems to have a really slow start-up, and I can't find anything that I can chain into it, so it seems like it would be hard to pull off. Edit: I just realized that i don't know what dj.S-H means >.<

D, Homing Jump, j.Hx3, j.S, JC, dj.S-H, 236K - If it not work, then you doing dust combo totally wrong(on some chars and distance - j.Hx2 after homing jump) It`s not totally hard, cuz "no one see Jam`s dust". If you don`t spam it. Just use in mixups, and it`ill be ok =)

(I don't have friends, so I can't play the console version at home...)

QUOTE]

You could play with me, but I‘m no fan of Jam x Jam :/

I‘m not advocating playing another character over jam because she is hard to play so much as other characters are easier to learn to play guilty gear with than she is. I think learning how the other characters function behind the shield of a nice, friendly character is easier than trying to learn from the more unique situation that Jam is in.Learning all the basic structures of the game, ect, are imo easier when you have a longer lifebar and a simple play style.Also, if you‘re playing sol/ky vs a strong opponent, having fireballs/gunflame doesn‘t really let you play any more brainlessly than you would with Jam.Low lvl Jam has a lot to do with random ass puffballs and randomly abusing strong moves, just like low level play for every one else.All I‘m trying to prevent is a frustrating experience that might ruin the game for some one. If you have the stones to sit there and learn Jam because god damnit, you‘re learning Jam, then by all means go ahead, but if you aren‘t die hard and are stil in the ‘I play gg because it‘s fun!‘ phase and find your self playing against the die hard, you‘re going to have a hard time with her.

For doing the generic dust combo: You have a set amount of time that you recieve unlimited jump cancels in your homming jump, and all moves can be jump canceled. If you do the 3 jh and you find your self unable to attack after the third one(at least until it recovers) that means you were too slow. For the time being, until you gain a little more finesse in your execution, you should just do jhx2 js double jump js jp js jh 236k. That combo still does respectable damage and when you get more of a feel for it you can start adding in the extra jh. As for random j2k mid dust combo, they are doing an ID(impossible dust).If you hit your opponent between frame x and frame y(later into the jump, before they can tech normally) you extend the untechable time of their fall by a long time, usually till right before they would be grounded.To see an example of this that is easy to do, either do 5d jc jh 214k(you can omit the 5h if you want) or pick sol and do 5d jc 236h.The reason to do this is if you transfer your dust combo(especially in the corner) into a regular combo you generally can deal more damage than a generic  dust combo, or opt for a knock down. In Jam‘s case she can go into her corner loop if she opts for in IDdust combo over a regular one. There are many different ways to get into ID: 5d jc fd hit, 5d jh dj jh, 5d what ever you want j2k, 5d iad dp... ect... Basically find something that works for you and get good at it.

Hope that was helpful

Is there anyway to "break through" blocking? Other than throwing mix-ups to throw off your opponent. Cause I notice it's really hard to trick the computer >.< And also...why can't I read Hinata's post? It's all squares. And random apostrophes.

really hard to trick the computer >.<

It`s impossible, only when computer do something stupid or randomly you then you must not...

Is there anyway to "break through" blocking? Other than throwing mix-ups to throw off your opponent. Cause I notice it's really hard to trick the computer >.<

VS. CPU: Random overdrive for the WIN!!! yaaaaay!

And also...why can't I read Hinata's post? It's all squares. And random apostrophes.

Because Hintalove is posting from his Cellphone / PSP ?

Just Change the "encoding" in the "view" scroll down menu of your web browser...

I accedentaly got stuck posting in the Japanese roman alphabet from school. If you can't read it, that's too bad because there's a lot of helpful info in there directly aimed at you :/

@ miriel: im assuming that your not pressing upwards after the dust connects so basically to do the combo you should: 5D, 9(upwards in any direction you want and keep pressing it), j.Hx3(learn the timing for them 'cauze you should do them with quick start up), j.S-P-S, JC(let go of up direction when you start the first j.S and press it again after the last j.S hits to jump cancle it), j.S-H, ryuujin. now for my question: in a normal dust combo is it good to sometimes do j.D, Gekirin after the JC, i mean damage wise and spacing, etc? so it would be like this: 5D, homing hump, j.Hx3, j.S-P-S, JC, J.D(2), 214K

I made it so I could read your post, just had install a Japanese font pack. So basically I just need to get the timing down cause I'm apparently a little off. My guess is I was probably just a little slow. So basically ID combo is where the damage really is? I'm not gonna try it quite yet, gonna see if I can get the timing on the regular dust combo first. ID seems a little more finesse intensive that I don't think I have fully developed yet.

I believe it's not a basic question.... however, I guess many people should be skilled enough to answer it here... ^^ I played against Chipp last week, and I pull-out instinctively (you know when you are pressing an opponent and your mind is completely empty... you are in this "trans" sort-of-thing...) a really cool phase during one round: Dash at oki, 5K, S, S, 2D, IAD, 623+K (going down), 2S, 2HS(2hits), 236+S~D, wallslam -> Jamming loop The 623+K actually "pulled up" the knocked down Chipp and dragged him straight into my 2S, 2HS... The problem is, I don't seem to be able to pull it out anymore... I tried to do it again at home in training mode, but I could'nt... is there a special setup for it to work? needs a CH? ...bug? EDIT: oh yeah, the guy actually blocked the "5K, S, S" and ate the 2D... I am not sure if the 2D was a CH...

I don't know if there's any special setup, but it's definitely possible. All I can say is that your IAD off of the 2D has to be as low as possible and quick as possible. How quickly you do the 623K input depends on the distance between you and the opponent after the 2D connects. Obviously, the deeper you were when the 2D connected the faster you have to do 623K. If you're too far away when you tripped the opponent (like if you hit them with the tip of your foot) then there's no way to connect the 623K because the distance apart is too wide. The 2D doesn't have to be CH but if it is, then it makes it a whole lot easier.

one question "how do i connect Puffball from FB Puffball into jamming loop?" i've seen Kaqn do 2d,236s~k,Ryuujin,FB Puffball, Puffball, Jamming...to Sol, i just can't hit the Puffball before the target was OTGed is there any tricks how i supposed to execute the Puffball? or i'm not fast enough?

Thanks Zenmetsu... I'll try harder tonite! does it work only on Chipp or can you do it on anyone? (only light chars? Millia, chipp, may and so on?)

one question "how do i connect Puffball from FB Puffball into jamming loop?" i've seen Kaqn do 2d,236s~k,Ryuujin,FB Puffball, Puffball, Jamming...to Sol, i just can't hit the Puffball before the target was OTGed is there any tricks how i supposed to execute the Puffball? or i'm not fast enough?

After the wallstick you get from FB ball, immediately do 236S>HS so that the opponent will bounce off the wall and come towards you after they get hit. You have to time the HS a little depending on where you are relative to the wall. If you're kinda close, then you have to tap HS very quickly. If you're relatively further away, then you delay the HS a little so that the hitbox of the ball will connect correctly. If you're too close and if the opponent is not stuck high enough on the wall then there isn't enough space or time for you to do 236S>HS so it won't work. This video illustrates the basics of this link: http://youtube.com/watch?v=UUG__ej_s70

does it work only on Chipp or can you do it on anyone? (only light chars? Millia, chipp, may and so on?)

I know it works on May because her tripping sprite is huge and also because I've done it before in the past. I haven't tried it on Millia but I wouldn't be surprised if it worked on her because like May you can connect 2D>236K on her plus she's light. I can also imagine it working on Faust just because he's so floaty and maybe others such as Ino but don't quote me on this because I haven't verified it.

Out of curiousity what is the best way to get out of throws? I started playing a slayer recently that I hadn't played before and he loves to dash after a kick and throw. It's not hard to see or anything and I think it's only caught me by surprise once or twice, but I notice even though I try to escape it I typically fail and get thrown. Is jumping and FD'ing the best or are there other ways? Reversal throwing is what I try most often but as the throw break window is 2 frames I don't always hit it.

Sign in to follow this