shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Thanks for the help guys, but out of all the characters which would you say has the highest learning curve because i like to feel rewarded for mastering a hard character lol.

Lol sorry needed to be more specific out of izayoi tsubaki and Rachel and I've heard Carl is really hard from lots which is why I didn't mention him :)

Well u said all of the character and not all of them :P ... anyway Imo Rachel is the hardest, Tsubaki & Izayoi is quite shoto'is type, getting used with their gameplay isn't take much time ... But Rachel footsie and meter management is hell.

Rachel fits then.

Izayoi might also qualify if you're up for discovering things on your own. She's considered a weak character by some, other say we haven't found the tech for her yet.

Rachel and Carl are the two hardest characters in the game.

Izayoi and Tsubaki, basic play style is not that hard, but technical execution is well above average for either of these characters. Also they're both shit.

Tsubaki & Izayoi is quite shoto'is type, getting used with their gameplay isn't take much time

...whut? Izayoi is regarded as one of the most technical, undiscovered potential characters in the game. Japan still doesn't still even really know what to do with her yet.

Tsubaki is pretty far from any sort of generic shoto gameplay as well. In fact, that kind of gameplay basically doesn't exist in BB.

Also, if you are getting jabbed by your opponent on wakeup, what is PROBABLY happening is that they are doing a quick wakeup and you are therefore doing your jab too late; Quick wakeup is extremely vulnerable IF you are ready for it, but if you're waiting for that white flash from neutral teching, your opponent will be recovered and attacking before you notice.

Izayoi isn't that complicated. She lacks a huge range of tools so her game really just boils down to poke into specials for stocks then high-low mixup. She is actually pretty shoto-like in terms of how straightforward her gameplan is.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Would you guys say Izayoi is a good choice for someone who is just starting to get into blazblue competitively? I like her playing style as well as Jin's since they seem to be balanced characters with good offenses in different forms. (Jins frame traps and mixup's on frozen opponent and Izayoi's mixups using her mobility in Gain art.) I play on the standard PS3 pad so is the execution required for them difficult on that?

Would you guys say Izayoi is a good choice for someone who is just starting to get into blazblue competitively? I like her playing style as well as Jin's since they seem to be balanced characters with good offenses in different forms. (Jins frame traps and mixup's on frozen opponent and Izayoi's mixups using her mobility in Gain art.) I play on the standard PS3 pad so is the execution required for them difficult on that?

She is and she isn't. On one hand, she's not an overly complex character, she has a footsies-oriented playstyle and very simple but effective pressure in GA mode. On the other hand, her control is much weaker than Jin's, in all aspects. Her pokes are very committal, her teleports are difficult to utilize well, she has poor defense, and it can be difficult to approach. I think she's a good character to learn all of the aspects of the game with, but you're going to struggle a lot if you're expecting wins.

The execution is just something you have to attempt for yourself, it's different for everybody. You do need clean motions to play her correctly on pad.

I have a main, but i could use some help deciding on a sub.

Thing is, i like pretty much all of the cast, except from Nu that i absolutely love (main, no questions asked) and tager/lichi/carl/makoto that i don't really like.

I have been jumping from sub to sub during the whole duration of CSEX, every time i pick one, learn his basic bnbs, do some challenges, get some simple matches, watch some videos for about a week and then hop back to Nu (lambda at the time) and then to someone else. I have gone from Noel to Hazama to Hakumen to Ragna to Mu to Jin, back to Ragna, to Tsubaki and finally to Tao, before i quited CSEX until CP.

So basically i can't commit to anyone.

Right Now with CP i found Nu as stressful as it gets so i think i could use a sub more than everything to get me to relax a bit.

What i am looking for:

-Not being stressful at all. What i mean by stressful: When i play Nu i have to worry every time i throw a D because of how punishable it is with its long recovery etc etc and her bad defensive options.

-Having some decent defense. Not looking for a defensive beast, but i want to have at least a couple of defensive options, like some fast pokes that i can use to get out of some pressure, or even a DP. As above, these things put pressure on me.

-Being relatively simple. Nothing as complicated as Rachel for example that i have to do tons of homework in order to understand, or something like mode changes etc etc.

-Decent neutral game. Again, doesn't have to be as good as lets say Tao at that part just above decent.

Im between Tao-Ragna-Terumim but im open to other ideas as well.

Any opinions?

What i am looking for:

-Not being stressful at all. What i mean by stressful: When i play Nu i have to worry every time i throw a D because of how punishable it is with its long recovery etc etc and her bad defensive options.

-Having some decent defense. Not looking for a defensive beast, but i want to have at least a couple of defensive options, like some fast pokes that i can use to get out of some pressure, or even a DP. As above, these things put pressure on me.

-Being relatively simple. Nothing as complicated as Rachel for example that i have to do tons of homework in order to understand, or something like mode changes etc etc.

-Decent neutral game. Again, doesn't have to be as good as lets say Tao at that part just above decent.

Any opinions?

Hazama? About the only thing he has that anyone can punish him for is Jayoku. He has stupid fast 5A and 2A. Jayoku is a solid reversal when you have meter and he gets meter fast. He's not TOO complicated (actually, CP Hazama looks kinda dumb once you get past his nonstandard movement). And his neutral is insane.

I have a main, but i could use some help deciding on a sub.

Thing is, i like pretty much all of the cast, except from Nu that i absolutely love (main, no questions asked) and tager/lichi/carl/makoto that i don't really like.

I have been jumping from sub to sub during the whole duration of CSEX, every time i pick one, learn his basic bnbs, do some challenges, get some simple matches, watch some videos for about a week and then hop back to Nu (lambda at the time) and then to someone else. I have gone from Noel to Hazama to Hakumen to Ragna to Mu to Jin, back to Ragna, to Tsubaki and finally to Tao, before i quited CSEX until CP.

So basically i can't commit to anyone.

Right Now with CP i found Nu as stressful as it gets so i think i could use a sub more than everything to get me to relax a bit.

What i am looking for:

Any opinions?

Ragna for ID reversal, CS zoner & 5b neutral, Hakumen if u content with blocking and 1hit kill everyone or Plat ... i like being how random he/she is :keke:

Hazama - i was always told he is quite hard, is he easier this time around?

Hakumen - played him for a while, will consider him again if nothing better comes up. He is a bit too slow though, i would gladly sacrifice some damage for some mobility.

Ragna - the one i am closer too atm

Azrael - will try him out a bit, but i somewhat prefer ragna over him.

Hazama - i was always told he is quite hard, is he easier this time around?

Hakumen - played him for a while, will consider him again if nothing better comes up. He is a bit too slow though, i would gladly sacrifice some damage for some mobility.

Ragna - the one i am closer too atm

Azrael - will try him out a bit, but i somewhat prefer ragna over him.

Hazama's good combos are hard as shit with loads of microdashes. His movement is odd and he is overall pretty technical. I don't think I would recommend him as a sub.

Honestly from your longer post it sounds like you should sub Jin. Great defense, great neutral, hes zero stress and easy as fk. His OD/mid level combos are cool and easy, and his neutral is absurdly strong for how simple it is.

Hi, Dustloop. I don't have Persona 4 Arena and am planning on getting it later on. I have only played it once many, many weeks ago, learning how to mash 5A and do half-assed excuses for combos with Shadow Labrys. I mainly play BlazBlue, using any of Kokonoe (#BuffKoko), Mu-12, and Platinum most of the time.

Can somebody point me, who likes to spend as much time ruining your neutral game (and life)* in the right direction plx?

* When not being free as hell with my scrubby 2-1 bar ass

So i posted a while back about picking a main and i chose izayoi...... but it seems like im being ripped apart online. It almost looks like i have never played a fighting game in my life. I am realy good at sf4 and injustice but it seems like i just cant get good at this game.Ive trained for hours on end repeating combos only to drop them due to online lag. It also seems like everyone just uses characters with very simple combos like ragna and noel. On defense I just cant seem to react,punish or do anything i just let the opponent manhandle me. As of right now I just feel like picking ragna or noel although i really enjoy playing as izayoi..... idk what to do lol keep chugging or switch

Well if u commit to playing Izayoi... expect a veeeeery~~~ long way before u start winning and her mid level bnb execution is a little bit above Ragna imo, so you'll drop her combos more often with slight Lag, I've playing Ragna matchup a little bit, and imo it's hard matchup, his Abare is much better than yours and on neutral he can eat whatever u throw at him, getting momentum on this fight is very hard and afaik her best tools for neutral is only a well positioned Sonic Saber and 5b hit confirm. IDK about Noel matchup.

So... if u just started Izayoi and getting bodied against other character... it's pretty normal at this point :vbang:

So i posted a while back about picking a main and i chose izayoi...... but it seems like im being ripped apart online. It almost looks like i have never played a fighting game in my life. I am realy good at sf4 and injustice but it seems like i just cant get good at this game.Ive trained for hours on end repeating combos only to drop them due to online lag. It also seems like everyone just uses characters with very simple combos like ragna and noel. On defense I just cant seem to react,punish or do anything i just let the opponent manhandle me. As of right now I just feel like picking ragna or noel although i really enjoy playing as izayoi..... idk what to do lol keep chugging or switch

You'll find it very difficult to react/mash out of stuff with Izayoi. She has the slowest? (or one of the slowest) 2A in the game, so if you tried to poke out, most of the time the opponent would just be getting counter hits on you. Due to this, you will have to rely on your barrier to try and keep the opponent out, and even if you did want to react with something, the only real option you have is Justice Phorisier but that requires at least 50 meter. You gonna have to be quite passive when you're on the defence. I understand you enjoy using Izayoi, but if you want a harder time learning the game then stick with Izayoi, but if you want to learn quicker I think you ought to learn someone else who is a little more easier/well rounded. It completely depends on your style of learning.

When I first started learning BB (Back in Continuum Shift) properly I chose to learn Tsubaki and even though she was easy to use, she was very difficult to win with, but I went on with her because I really enjoyed using her, and still do.

Edited by Kiba

Thanks for the replies I have hope lol... But anyway I noticed that I get poked out by almost everyone's 2a and it just feels hard confirming into anything in blazblue in general but I guess I'll get use to it. But to adress my problem during a match should I take time to learn all other characters block strings or just look them up on a wiki. I have trouble defending in this game do to the fact that I have no idea whats safe or not or how to punish it.

Like I said earlier in this thread, Izayoi is good for learning the game, but you will lose a lot. Bear in mind that most of the problems you're having will apply to every character in the game, and you can expect to sit at a 10% winrate when you're first starting out. The difference is, if you pick someone like Ragna or Noel, your hitconfirming will get a lot easier, and you'll have better buttons to mash when you start panicking. They give you a lot more leeway. The benefit to playing Izayoi is that you won't learn as many bad habits, since you will get punished hard for autopiloting and guessing incorrectly, and you have poor defensive options which forces you to learn how to block.

As far as Izayoi blockstrings go, she doesn't really have any. In normal mode you're just going to be poking them with 5B > 236C, 5B > 236A, 5B > 623B/236B[charge], getting random 2A confirms, or using really basic pressure options like tick throws or mixups with TK j.236C. In GA mode you're going to be safe jumping them with j.C into various mixups...2B, 66 j.B/C, empty jump throw, j.B fuzzy, or just throwing out 236D to keep them locked down. Mix in 2C, 3C, and 6C if you feel like it. But she doesn't rely on blockstrings so much as endless mixups and the threat of getting huge damage from Throw or CH 3C/6C.