shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Izayoi will teach you to space at neutral but you will be crap at rushdown on a real character. Her mixup/rushdown once she gets in is Jin-tier mindless so you don't really learn to do things like bait reversals and do frametraps.

Still a fun character though. And learning neutral is probably more important overall.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

K thanks for all the replies now as far as punishing other characters attacks..should I take the time to learn more characters or should I just try to memorize frame data. Another option is going in to training mode and try to punish CPUs moves or just using that a base to at least get a little matchup experience

K thanks for all the replies now as far as punishing other characters attacks..should I take the time to learn more characters or should I just try to memorize frame data. Another option is going in to training mode and try to punish CPUs moves or just using that a base to at least get a little matchup experience

You can learn other characters if you want, it's at least a good idea to understand how their pressure works and what's punishable. Don't bother fighting the CPU, just head online, you can get all the real matchup experience you want.

c-c; I'm requesting some assistance.

So I picked Bullet up when I got the game. Enjoyed her but slowly started to dislike her flaws (and the fact I couldn't advance as her no matter how much I was playing) . I've been hopping around characters since then and sucking harder and harder. I'm fine with being bad, but its just starting to get to me. Even new players that just pick up the game are able to do more than myself.

I've been trying to find a character that I have even a little bit of proficiency off the bat with (like how I did with Kanji in P4A. Right when I picked him up I started getting him down) but to no avail. Needless to say this is kind of demoralizing :p

Out of the cast I've been looking at Noel, Hazama, Makoto, Izayoi, Litchi, Platinum and, kind of the Murakumo units. After dipping my feet around and having tried nearly everyone except Arakune and the locked characters these are the only ones that retain a scrap of interest.

I guess I'm just asking for some guidance on what to do since at this point I feel like I've gotten worse.

(Sorry for the semi-ranty feel of the post, I just feel so bleh'd)

So I picked Bullet up when I got the game. Enjoyed her but slowly started to dislike her flaws (and the fact I couldn't advance as her no matter how much I was playing) . I've been hopping around characters since then and sucking harder and harder. I'm fine with being bad, but its just starting to get to me. Even new players that just pick up the game are able to do more than myself.

I've been trying to find a character that I have even a little bit of proficiency off the bat with (like how I did with Kanji in P4A. Right when I picked him up I started getting him down) but to no avail. Needless to say this is kind of demoralizing :p

Out of the cast I've been looking at Noel, Hazama, Makoto, Izayoi, Litchi, Platinum and, kind of the Murakumo units. After dipping my feet around and having tried nearly everyone except Arakune and the locked characters these are the only ones that retain a scrap of interest.

I guess I'm just asking for some guidance on what to do since at this point I feel like I've gotten worse.

If you like Kanji, you'll probably like Kagura. He's pretty straightforward. Great DP, Great Oki, Great Damage. You'll start to notice Kagura's flaws once you get better, but early on, Kagura gives quite a lot reward for little effort.

Her mixup/rushdown once she gets in is Jin-tier mindless so you don't really learn to do things like bait reversals and do frametraps.

Lolwut? Do you even Jin?

If you like Kanji, you'll probably like Kagura. He's pretty straightforward. Great DP, Great Oki, Great Damage. You'll start to notice Kagura's flaws once you get better, but early on, Kagura gives quite a lot reward for little effort.

I see, I was just thinking about him too... When I picked up Kanji I enjoyed how simple his grabs were, but then soon after I began seeing how to chain them from another grab and from his normals etc etc. My skill in P4A developed with him if that makes sense. I didn't mind his flaws since I grew into dealing with them.

Since Kagura gives a lot of reward for little effort...I won't mind putting a lot of effort into him to do better, if that makes sense.

Well, I'll head off to unlock him thanks for the advice.

If you like Bullet, you might like Makoto, but if you're getting frustrated with Bullet's capabilities then it might not be a big step up. Noel could be a good choice if you want something easy to pick up that will reward you for good reads. Hakumen is also a really strong character that gets a lot of damage from counterhits like Kanji does.

Kagura, I dunno...similar problems to Makoto I think; if you're feeling frustrated with Bullet against zoning and whatnot, Kagura is going to make you feel a hundred times worse. Pick a top tier!

*snip

Well just want to give some note ... The better you're in this game, the worse you'll feel about your gameplay.

If u want to enjoy your game and getting better overtime, i'll suggest to record your match and learn where u did wrong and fix it before actually moving to other character.

If u just want to go headhunting... Try Hakumen.

If you like Bullet, you might like Makoto, but if you're getting frustrated with Bullet's capabilities then it might not be a big step up. Noel could be a good choice if you want something easy to pick up that will reward you for good reads. Hakumen is also a really strong character that gets a lot of damage from counterhits like Kanji does.

Kagura, I dunno...similar problems to Makoto I think; if you're feeling frustrated with Bullet against zoning and whatnot, Kagura is going to make you feel a hundred times worse. Pick a top tier!

Zoning didn't get me frustrated. I just felt complete terrible as everyone, no matter who I picked up.

Well just want to give some note ... The better you're in this game, the worse you'll feel about your gameplay.

If u want to enjoy your game and getting better overtime, i'll suggest to record your match and learn where u did wrong and fix it before actually moving to other character.

If u just want to go headhunting... Try Hakumen.

The way I play is...strange. I like to just pick up a character and feel like I know them a bit off the bat. When I started with Kanji, I learned his command grabs, went into ranked and won 30-ish matches in a row. The easy wins motivated me to learn more about him and get better as him. As I did, losing didn't bother me as much since I would analyze and grow, but I feel like I can't do that when all I can do is lose...if that makes sense.

If Kagura can supply similar conditions, then I'll enjoy him just as much as Kanji, probably more so. The fact that he has flaws will help me grow even further, just as Kanji did.

Thanks for all the tips so far guys, I'm really hoping Kagura will fit my strange niche though, low high or whatever. I'm feeling like he will though.

If easy wins motivated u, the more reason u should pick Hakumen lol ... he's not without flaw and got zoned hard, but his damage output is just stupid :vbang:

... And just for thought about learning something from the match, i think the otherwise... i gain more from losing instead of wining > better defense, better hit confirm, better spacing, better combos, better at everything and if u have great sparring partner, u can ask them where's your mistake in the game ... winning is just another type of training room where you practice combos against dummies imo

And about Kanji on lower level of gameplay... blame the system and awakening super that destroy 90% of the cast from half health and combo setup that always reset to 50:50 mix up >.>

If easy wins motivated u, the more reason u should pick Hakumen lol ... he's not without flaw and got zoned hard, but his damage output is just stupid :vbang:

... And just for thought about learning something from the match, i think the otherwise... i gain more from losing instead of wining > better defense, better hit confirm, better spacing, better combos, better at everything and if u have great sparring partner, u can ask them where's your mistake in the game ... winning is just another type of training room where you practice combos against dummies imo

And about Kanji on lower level of gameplay... blame the system and awakening super that destroy 90% of the cast from half health and combo setup that always reset to 50:50 mix up >.>

Well, if Kagura doesn't work out I'll try Hakumen. So far, I've done around 150+ matches and have won...5 I think. I've noticed a massive improvement, I actually block now, like hugely better than before. I'm quite amazed as to how much I have improved in all sorts of defensive aspects. (Except comboing lol) But on another note, getting to try Kagura in the story, he seems fun! Fluid and damaging, I'm liking him for the little I get to play him so far.

Edit: After unlocking him, he seems very fun, tomorrow it'll be time to crack the threads/videos and see what combos I can learn. Practice'll make perfect after all.

Edited by OmegaDivider

this is not really a "help me pick a main" quetion but it's related. In terms of P4A, what character is more similar to what Venom does in GG? I was thinking Mitsuru but I wanna hear your opinions as well. Thanks :)

I see, btw thank you all for your responses previously.

My SF friend (the one who played sagat, guile etc) is enjoying the game so far (he picked Mu-12 cuz he liked 5c lol), he said he eventually wants to try P4U2, should I suggest him a character who's similar to Mu-12 there? if so, which one would be best for him?

Your welcome.

If he like Mu's 5c ... he'll definitely love Teddie 5b LOL, and similar to Mu, he can also control space well, Yukiko / Naoto can also be recommended since they excel in mid and far rush down + traps.

I want to get into to guilty gear so that I can be ready when Xrd comes out and have no clue who to use. In blazblue I main Platinum and sub Mu and Rachel, and in P4A I main teddie and sub naoto and yukkio. I really like to use rushdown and zoner characters and I don't like one more than the other , I also prefer a fast character but it's alright if their not one of the slower characters in the game. Thanks in advance!

Hmm... I think if you'd like Dizzy or Millia.

They both have a similar game plan, but they have a different way about going about things.

Millia is the second fastest character in the game, and can easily set up Okizeme after any knockdown and combos, which only compliments her scary mix ups. She's very rushdown oriented, and she can be very scary if played right.

Dizzy is a character whose normals are kinda awkward, but she's very mobile and has a great Zoning Game. What makes her unique is that she can work in tandem with her projectiles like Mu, to essentially cover up holes in her pressure when she performs nasty mix ups and cross ups.

They both have Ass defense though, having low health and no meterless defense options.

Hopefully that helps.

The long reason why I picked Kagura.

When I first started playing fighting games (SF4 specifically) I played Vega (which to my knowledge was one of the hardest characters to use). I loved charge characters, still do. But I couldnt play him for the life of me. So I switched my main to Yang which fit me like a glove (considering my skill level at the time).

Then I discovered BlazBlue. I realized that picking the hardest character first wasnt gonna really get me anywhere so I said "Im gonna take baby steps and main Ragna." After about a year, I tried others (Makoto, Litchi, Hazama.) and then in Extend I settled with Jin. Sometime in the middle I Played GG and tried Venom and Sol (To test my skill with charge characters vs the traditional protagonist.) Im no good GG player by any means, but I had more fun with Venom and was better as him than Sol.

Then P4A came out and playing Mitsuru was second nature to me.

Now when BBCP comes out in america Im gonna main Kagura, because I know I can play the type of character I love.

Something that I picked up on when playing Hazama, Litchi and Makoto is that I like stances, a lot.

Seeing that Kagura has not only charging, but stances too? The choice is obvious for me.

For people who want to pick a main, I suggest thinking of what you want in your ideal character, and experiment.

You may find something you really like that you didnt think you would. If your dream character is too hard, my suggestion is switch to another character (someone more basic) and work your way up the skill ladder.

Thats all I got. Hope it helps someone.

(Story Of My Life Mode, Activate)

Gaaaahhh! This is killing me! For days and days and days I have tortured myself trying to find a main in BBCP! I don't even HAVE it yet! Play-asia has shipped it and that's all. But I wanna know how I should probably start with.

Through my history of Blazblue games, I've played Nu and Lambda. I was thinking of doing the same in BBCP, but Nu seems to have a difficult learning curve so I was wondering if anyone else might suit me.

In P4A, I man Liz. Only chose her at the start cause she looked cool, same goes for Akihiko (my sub). Then I stuck with Liz because I like noticed I like characters without good reversals (Liz/Nu).

So I was thinking, how about a character with no good reversals but something else really good in exchange for that? So I was like... IZAYOIII! She has no good reversals except from Super and Overdrive, but in reward she has good mixup(in Gain Art at least). And she also has good neutral game with that projectile. Dont forget she does have Oki in some situations.

But then meter is something I also like, and Liz gained meter really easily in P4A. So I was thinking Terumiiiii!!!

Then I still want to play Nu-13!!!!!!!

Then I'm also obsessed with Oki so... here it goes.

So what I like:

A character with Oki, or someone with good wakeup game. I think it's called wakeup game, basically being able to still pressure your opponent as soon as they wakeup.

I also have this pact where I use characters with no reversals, so that can be taken into account.

Then maybe... just maybe I like a character that gains a lot of meter.

Also maybe a character that does some big damage, but it's not that important.

What do you guys think?

Edited by Dazardz

Izayoi does not have a strong neutral game. Believe me. Sabre is alright, but her anti airs are really meh (623s have realtively large recovery, aren't comboable on hit, and are specials rather than normals, taking more time to input and therefore start up, and 6A has a deliriously shoddy hitbox and is also uncomboable, at least meterless), she doesn't really have any pokes aside from 5B (which isn't jump cancellable) and her movement is decent, but not amazing. A majority of Characters have no trouble beating Izayoi in the neutral game.

Anyway, concerning your conditions for Characters... Maybe Terumi? He doesn't have the best oki in the world, but the presence of 2D makes it somewhat decent at least. He also gains shitloads of meter because of his design and does generally heavy damage. He also does include reversals, but they suck pretty largely (Soutenjin has an inefficient hitbox, counter doesn't activate on the majority of the attacks in the game lol).

Edited by InWithTheAshes

Now that I think about it, Kagura might actually fit you well. Above - average oki, and excellent damage.

Edit: Oh wait, he has reversals. Effective ones. Welp :v: .

Lol, Kagura having reversals isn't that much of a problem.... I think that sentence came out wrong? I hate charge characters, which is why I quit Mitsuru, so we'll have to see about Kagura. Totally forgot about him.

Thanks guys, I'm either going to main or sub Nu, so Terumi is probably gonna be my character. Thanks for exposing Izayoi though, I thought those anti-airs were 'effective' because of it's range until you told me really all about how bad they are.