shtkn

The "Picking a Main" thread

Okay so I have been play like 5 different characters and have no idea who to chose. I like hazama chains, Ragna spacing, litchi staff, izayoi in ga,valk mix up and a lot more stuff. I have no idea who to main. I play MIT and kanji in p4a if that helps. This is my first bb so I suck a lot really. I can't decide on a main at all :(

My opinion is completely biased, but go with Valk and Izayoi

My opinion is completely biased, but go with Valk and Izay

sure why not. it will feel good to actually have a mix up

You should pick based off of your play style however.  I like heavy execution vortex type characters (Valk/I-NO) with good oki and corner lockdown (Izayoi in GA/Dizzy)

There are all sorts of factors you could have when choosing a main character.  I never knew how much I liked ok mind games until I played GG for the 1st time, and now that's big on how I choose.   Experiment and find your style.....

Mitsuru I can kinda see since they're both charge characters. Kanji...not so much XD

Funny enough, now that I look at it, his drive has a similar mechanic as Noel's. You could say that Noel is like driving an automatic car, whereas Kakura is a manual.

I've been wanting to pick up Platinum for a number of reason (sound effects, cool items, neat playstyle, aesthetics, hipster cred seldom played char, etc), but she has one big drawback for me: I usually loathe exec heavy characters, and platinum's combos seem to be on the long and hard side. I haven't played her enough to really make a call on that though.

Is it not that bad, or am I going to be ripping my hair out every time I land a hit? I don't mind a bit of practice, and I can start with basic bnbs before learning all the various item variations, but I don't know if I'm in over my head.

I've been wanting to pick up Platinum for a number of reason (sound effects, cool items, neat playstyle, pedophile aesthetics, hipster cred seldom played char, etc), but she has one big drawback for me: I usually loathe exec heavy characters, and platinum's combos seem to be on the long and hard like my dick when playing her side. I haven't played her enough to really make a call on that though.

Is it not that bad, or am I going to be ripping my hair out every time I land a hit? I don't mind a bit of practice, and I can start with basic bnbs before learning all the various item variations, but I don't know if I'm in over my head.

Her combos aren't really that difficult.  You want lengthy and execution heavy?  There's always Litchi, of course people will hate you afterwards....

What you want to do is memorize all your starters and enders for your combos, and the rest should be easy after that.  Well, that and depending on what items you get....

So I believe I'm pretty efficient with the characters I play which are Ragna and Bullet. I kind of like playing characters with a strong abare, rush down, and very great neutral game to work off of. I think it's about time I add a third character to the team and I'm pretty challenged when it comes to learning either Noel or Tsubaki. I'm constantly swapping between the two to find that comfort zone and challenging multiple people yet they hit the same way. What's uncomfortable about Noel is that her drive feels very unsteady and unsafe while Tsubaki struggles for efficiency without stock, what clearly makes the two stand-out  from one another and who do you suggest between the two?

Thanks for the help in advance.

Hello to everyone, first post here!

It's hard to say who I want to use in BBCP, coming from a Capcom background. WHile I would consider myself a beginner/medium player in those games, I'm a complete dunce in these type of games (BB,GG, P4A) where the execution is (from a outsider perspective) is a lot more strict.

Characters I normally used in those games were Zangief, Abel, Nemesis, Taskmaster, Captain America, Nova, Spencer. For those who don't know, those were the Big Body Grappler + Simple high damage characters. Of course the obvious answer would be Tager here, but here's the problem: I'm kinda burned out on grapplers and I want to learn something new. I still want that close range combat, but I don't want to fall in the habit of 'churning the butter' like im known to. I'm even willing to try a zoner if needed, especially for counter picks.

Characters I'm interested in: :NU:  :TA:  :MK:  :LI:  :BANG:  :BU: , and if they don't work out then old tried and true will have to do  :TG:

So I believe I'm pretty efficient with the characters I play which are Ragna and Bullet. I kind of like playing characters with a strong abare, rush down, and very great neutral game to work off of. I think it's about time I add a third character to the team and I'm pretty challenged when it comes to learning either Noel or Tsubaki. I'm constantly swapping between the two to find that comfort zone and challenging multiple people yet they hit the same way. What's uncomfortable about Noel is that her drive feels very unsteady and unsafe while Tsubaki struggles for efficiency without stock, what clearly makes the two stand-out  from one another and who do you suggest between the two?

Thanks for the help in advance.

The two are pretty wildly different, IMHO.  Noel has basically all her tools available at all times (excluding those that involve meter, but whatever);  If you do something dumb and throw yourself into her 4D or something, she can do a nearly 5k even if it's the very first thing that happens in the round.  Tsubaki is super dependent on Install stocks for damage, and is literally incapable of doing more than 3.6k without stock or 25 meter.

Noel's game is pretty standard, honestly.  There's not much to differentiate her from a character like Ragna except that she has different options to beat you up with - her basic gameplan is still "get in your face and do stuff until you get hit, and do not stop" whereas Tsubaki basically NEEDS to find ways to get charge or she's going to require way more combos to beat her opponent than her opponent needs to beat her.   This forces a fundamental change in the pace of the match.  It's also why she is bad, because she doesn't really have anything to compensate her for the fact that she needs to get charge, and due to how generally poor her normals are, the only way she can beat a lot of characters is to pin them in the corner and hope they never get out or get a chance to play the game.

Hello to everyone, first post here!

It's hard to say who I want to use in BBCP, coming from a Capcom background. WHile I would consider myself a beginner/medium player in those games, I'm a complete dunce in these type of games (BB,GG, P4A) where the execution is (from a outsider perspective) is a lot more strict.

Characters I normally used in those games were Zangief, Abel, Nemesis, Taskmaster, Captain America, Nova, Spencer. For those who don't know, those were the Big Body Grappler + Simple high damage characters. Of course the obvious answer would be Tager here, but here's the problem: I'm kinda burned out on grapplers and I want to learn something new. I still want that close range combat, but I don't want to fall in the habit of 'churning the butter' like im known to. I'm even willing to try a zoner if needed, especially for counter picks.

Characters I'm interested in: :NU:  :TA:  :MK:  :LI:  :BANG:  :BU: , and if they don't work out then old tried and true will have to do  :TG:

Welcome!

Out of all the choices you have there, the ones who are the most different and challenging to learn (according to your regular character types) are Litchi, Bang and Tao.

Nu, Makoto, and Ragna are all great and all, but they're more simple to use. (Makoto is perhaps the exception, as you have to have a REALLY good grip on the neutral game, but at least with Litchi you have the reward as well as the difficulty).

Bang, Tao and Litchi control space very well, have great neutral (Litchi's staff da gawd) and have really strong mix up.  The only stand out is Tao, who unlike the other two has zero defense outside of Hexaedge, but with her mobility this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Experiment around.  I only gave my opinion on 3 of your characters because they fit the criteria you were looking for, but don't be shy about trying others.  Try them all and see who fits your style....

Welcome!

Out of all the choices you have there, the ones who are the most different and challenging to learn (according to your regular character types) are Litchi, Bang and Tao.

Nu, Makoto, and Ragna are all great and all, but they're more simple to use. (Makoto is perhaps the exception, as you have to have a REALLY good grip on the neutral game, but at least with Litchi you have the reward as well as the difficulty).

Bang, Tao and Litchi control space very well, have great neutral (Litchi's staff da gawd) and have really strong mix up.  The only stand out is Tao, who unlike the other two has zero defense outside of Hexaedge, but with her mobility this shouldn't be much of a problem.

Experiment around.  I only gave my opinion on 3 of your characters because they fit the criteria you were looking for, but don't be shy about trying others.  Try them all and see who fits your style....

That's bullet actually :P

Regardless, Bang/Litchi/Tao were my top 3 choices.That staff does seem like it could get very annoying if used right, I can glance at Tao and tell she's a wolverine-ish character (he has no defense either), and Bang...idk how he is. My Only experience with this series is BBCS and gaining achievements/playing story.

Litchi is probably the one character I despise, and only because she has the best drive in the game.  Period.  5D/2D means she has an almost free way in, depending on how good your approach is, and she can reset pressure (again) almost for free as well.  She does however have a steep learning curve and without staff is completely helpless.

Wolverine wishes he had Tao mobility.  IMO, she has the 2nd best neutral in the game, because she goes anywhere she wants for free.  She also seems to be unchaseable, and yes I made that word up.  Chasing Tao is a very bad idea because you WILL be counter hit for grown man damage (this may have changed in CP, I'm not sure as my training partner does not have PS3).  Her learning curve is easy for some, but complex for others, depends on your playstyle.

So i recently picked up this game and been having a bit of trouble figuring out who to pick up as a main.... the character im most attracted to is tsubaki but a friend of mine said she is pretty weak and I kinda wanna know if i'd be wasting my time trying to learn her or go ahead and learn someone like ragna or hazama maybe even rachel. Im a pretty big fan of characters who are strong up close and good at pressuring but aren't all that weak at mid to full screen. It'd also be nice if they weren't too difficult as im still trying to get used to the system. I mainly come from a capcom background with the only anime fighter I played for a while being Melty Blood, In SF4 I mainly play Yun and Fei Long while in melty blood I played C-warc and H-Nanaya if that helps make suggestions

So i recently picked up this game and been having a bit of trouble figuring out who to pick up as a main.... the character im most attracted to is tsubaki but a friend of mine said she is pretty weak and I kinda wanna know if i'd be wasting my time trying to learn her or go ahead and learn someone like ragna or hazama maybe even rachel. Im a pretty big fan of characters who are strong up close and good at pressuring but aren't all that weak at mid to full screen. It'd also be nice if they weren't too difficult as im still trying to get used to the system. I mainly come from a capcom background with the only anime fighter I played for a while being Melty Blood, In SF4 I mainly play Yun and Fei Long while in melty blood I played C-warc and H-Nanaya if that helps make suggestions

Strong up close and good at pressuring but not too shabby from a distance? It sounds like you're lookin' for Litchi, Hazama, Kokonoe, or Relius. Rachel's not so strong up close without some minor setting up and placement, (tho she rox at pressure long range and mix-up)

I'd recommend trying these guys and Tsubaki to see who you like.

So, I've come to the conclusion that the recent BlazBlue game is finally the 2D fighter I really want to put some time in to try to be at least semi-decent with, but I'm having trouble picking who I should try learning. In Extend, I really liked using Hazama, since he felt fairly well-balanced while still having a bit of a gimmick to him (And his ability to endlessly annoy my younger brother was definitely a plus,) but I've been thinking of changing things up a bit for CP. Since I got the game a few weeks back, I've been thinking of maining Kokonoe since playing her's been fun on a bun, but I've heard she's wicked-overpowered. Would it still be worth learning her?

So, I've come to the conclusion that the recent BlazBlue game is finally the 2D fighter I really want to put some time in to try to be at least semi-decent with, but I'm having trouble picking who I should try learning. In Extend, I really liked using Hazama, since he felt fairly well-balanced while still having a bit of a gimmick to him (And his ability to endlessly annoy my younger brother was definitely a plus,) but I've been thinking of changing things up a bit for CP. Since I got the game a few weeks back, I've been thinking of maining Kokonoe since playing her's been fun on a bun, but I've heard she's wicked-overpowered. Would it still be worth learning her?

well, she's LESS overpowered now, but still rather OP.  How does that make her "not worth learning" though?

Sooooo you want to play Koko because she's OP? OK people, nothing to see here....

I think he is trying to ask if it is worth learning Koko at the price of being scorned by people. To that I say yes. Kokonoe, while very strong, is not unbeatable. Pre patch she sometimes felt invincible, this isn't the case anymore. She still has incredibly strong neutral and powerful oki setups, but her damage potential has been normalized.

Is she dumb? Yeah. Is she heinously broken? No.

I say go for it, you've picked a really good character.

I think he is trying to ask if it is worth learning Koko at the price of being scorned by people. To that I say yes. Kokonoe, while very strong, is not unbeatable. Pre patch she sometimes felt invincible, this isn't the case anymore. She still has incredibly strong neutral and powerful oki setups, but her damage potential has been normalized.

Is she dumb? Yeah. Is she heinously broken? No.

I say go for it, you've picked a really good character.

I'm not saying anything about her. But the reason he gave was that she is broken. If she's nerfed he'll be playing another character within the hour....

I'm not saying anything about her. But the reason he gave was that she is broken. If she's nerfed he'll be playing another character within the hour....

I believe he said (or implied, rather) that he didn't want to pick her up because people are saying she's OP, as in he doesn't want to play an OP char.

Yeah, you're reading that completely backwards. He seemed to be asking if it was worth picking an "overpowered" character.

I know I ranted about a month ago here about my main picking difficulties, but I've narrowed it down a bit a may need some input.

I'm still a noob and need to actually watch high level matches of characters. I'm only basing my thoughts off the limited things I've seen and tried to look into.

Top 4 in order-

Nu-13- Always liked everything about her design. Would have been my main years ago had the only person I ended up playing with not mained her. My only thing about her is that I typically play rushdown characters, or characters with good close range priority. I know for a fact I will be trying to get up in someone's face...and I'm not sure if that will be ok. Defensively, I end up in that situation a lot anyway, and find myself carefully searching for a way to get back the offensive.

Hakumen- His bnb loop...I didn't want to put effort into learning it right away, but from my understanding, that's his main damage (?). Trying it over and over in training mode gave me flashbacks to the reason I got burnt out by tekken. Anything else to start out with?

Tsubaki- Like her style, but got fed up with her drive back in CS. That's the only thing I disliked. When I compare her to Noel, I just found her inferior. Now though, I'm starting to find her a bit fun with that command throw, and the change to her fireball.

Noel- After playing her a bit more, I really liked the look and feel of her combos, but hated using her drive for pressure, and basically refused to do it. Maybe her being a common pick also influences me a bit. My efforts would probably end up with Azrael's.

___

Azrael will move down to sub. He's the character I've been playing and doing the best with...but I just don't find him my style, or helping me improve. I'm definitely auto-pliloting.

i don't know how many more times this is going to have to be repeated, but here goes nothing.

asking us to help you pick a main is like asking us to help pick out your wardrobe, car, occupation and/or diet. we don't know what you like and chances are you are not able to articulate it (mostly because you're new to the game/genre and aren't really able to put such things into words yet). the only way you will be able to pick a main is to try every character and see if any of them "click" with you.

and if nobody "clicks" on the first try, give it a second try. failing that, try another game.

I hate this, I really, REALLY want to play guilty gear more, but nobody has "clicked" with me yet. I've tried over and over with everyone since AC+ came out on the 360. After almost 2 years now, I can only play a crappy Sol. It sucks, I want to play this game, I want to learn, but I can never sit right with GG. It never stops feeling like this foreign impassible wall. I hate that feeling.