Sign in to follow this  
pulsr

[CS] Beginner Mechanics (The more you know!)

BB has a few key mechanics that I'll go over to help the youngin's (weaklings) Important mechanics - 1. Blocking: If you hold back or down back you will block and not take damage from your opponents attacks. Trust me blocking is good. 2. Instant Blocking (IB): If you press back or down back at a specific timing to a certain attack your character will flash white and allow your character to recover 5 frames faster or 10 frames faster if you IB an attack in the air. IBing has some pretty sweet uses, it allows you to punish the infamous Jin, ice car spam and Ragna's Hell's.... (the first part) 3. Barrier Guard (back + A+ B): You flash green and drain from your "Barrier Gauge" honestly, the gauge is useless it is super rare that it actually runs out. Barrier guarding lets you block CERTAIN moves that are considered air unblockable, like Ragna's 6A. Be wary though, Barrier guard adds more blockstun to your character, but you also gain the advantage of added push back while blocking. 4. Counter Assault "Dead Angle" (While blocking, Forward + A + B ): It costs 50 meter and can only be done while you are blocking. Basically it's a DP that is done while you are in block stun and is a great way to get your opponent off of you if you are afraid of blocking or damn lazy like me. Some characters do not actually do an attack, Hakumen (does 6d) Noel (does some ghetto slide through thing) Tao (Flies to outer space) Arakune does his grab. 5. Burst (MASH ALL THEM BUTTONS): A burst requires one stock (you start the match off with one and gain one more if you lose a round) The burst can be used offensively and defensively. Offensive burst is gold and sends your opponent spinning into the air and allows you to combo. Defensive burst is done while in block stun or getting hit. This burst just knocks your opponent away, it has its uses. *bursting halves your primers rounded down 5 primers goes to 3 and 4 will go to 2 6. Guard Primer(You blocked too good and now you get punished for it): Certain moves in BB remove "guard primers" If you lose all of your guard primers you are guard crushed for and your opponent gets a free combo. If you are guard crushed in the air you get wall bounced. *You can barrier guard the last guard primer (but this consumes 1/3 of your barrier meter), thus letting you not get guard crushed

1. Blocking: If you hold back or down back you will block and not take damage from your opponents attacks. Trust me blocking is good.

Do note that special moves and Distortion Drives inflict a small amount of damage when blocked, commonly referred to as chip damage. Also, keep in mind that throws, as well as certain unblockable moves, cannot be blocked.

It is very important to know if what you are blocking is a low, high, or overhead. Highs can be blocked with a standing block (:b:) or a crouching block (:db:), but lows must be crouching blocked and overheads must be standing blocked. Do note that most attacks performed in the air (aerials) count as overheads.

2. Instant Blocking (IB): If you press back or down back at a specific timing to a certain attack your character will flash white and allow your character to recover 5 frames faster or 10 frames faster if you IB an attack in the air. IBing has some pretty sweet uses, it allows you to punish the infamous Jin, ice car spam and Ragna's Hell's.... (the first part)

Not only that, but you gain a nice Heat (meter) bonus every time you IB! Also, it can be tricky sometimes to know if your IB is successful; if your character flashes white and says something, you'll know you did it right.

3. Barrier Guard (back + A+ B): You flash green and drain from your "Barrier Gauge" honestly, the game is useless it is super rare that it actually runs out. Barrier guarding lets you block CERTAIN moves that are considered air unblockable, like Ragna's 6A. Be wary though, Barrier guard adds more blockstun to your character, but you also gain the advantage of added push back while blocking.

Remember the chip damage you take when you normal block? Barrier block also negates that.

7. Throw Escape (B + C when being thrown): When the opponent attempts to normal throw you while you are in a neutral state (aka not attacking), a green exclamation point will appear, indicating that the throw can be broken. If you input the throw break command within this brief window, the opponent's throw will be negated and you will take no damage.

When the opponent tries to throw you during hit- or bock-stun, two purple exclamation points will appear. This is similar to the normal throw escape situation, except that you have much more time to react (almost half of a second). Be careful to always escape in-combo throws, as they do unscaled damage.

Finally, be aware that if you mash throw escape or if you are caught with a throw while attaking, you will be unable to tech (escape) it.

8. Basic Movement Walking Hold left or right on your joystick/controller to move your character forward or backward respectively. Dashing Tapping the direction that your character is facing twice and holding that direction down will enable your character to dash. It is important to note that Tager and Arakune cannot dash. In Arakune’s case he will do a teleport that can go through your opponent. Backdash Tapping the opposite direction that your character is facing will enable them to backdash. Arakune’s backdash is also a teleport and Tager’s backdash is invincible on frame 1. Airdash Tapping the direction that your character is facing twice when your character is airborne will enable your character to do an airdash. Toa, Bang and Arakune can airdash twice. Tager cannot airdash at all and everyone else gets one. Jump Tapping up on your joystick/controller will enable your character to jump. Tao can jump 3 times, Tager can only jump once and everyone else gets 2 jumps. Superjump Briefly hold down on your joystick/controller then immediately tap up to do a super jump. You can tell that you’ve done this correctly when you see your go higher than their regular jump. Instant Airdash Simply input a jump then an airdash instantaneously.

I have a question regarding quick rise (downed 2A/B/C) How does it work exactly? there are two types of quick rise (with Arakune at least).

It should probably be noted that some of these things(Guard primers) are for Continuum Shift, not Calamity Trigger.

best way to do IAD on PS3 pad? =/

do 956

on top of that air dashes have a minimum height they ahve to be off the ground so if you do it too fast, then it wont work. Of course if you do it too slow, then you're too high off you won't be at the right height for certain setups.

practice and learn the timing to do it as low to the ground as possible.

It should probably be noted that some of these things(Guard primers) are for Continuum Shift, not Calamity Trigger.

And until BBCS is out on consoles, random scrubs probably aren't going to be going to arcades to play CS. Maybe make a separate section for CT and CS?

CT is dead

I have at least 3 friends who played and continue to play CT despite it being out in arcades, because we don't have an arcade in town. Likewise, CT has online play whereas CS does not. CT is dead to people who play the game well and care about getting better, but to my random friends who like the game because Ragna is a cool guy, they don't really care

I love how arcade junkies talk about CS like it's the new president of the united states and CT got impeached. Like everyone has access to an arcade version of CS without bootlegging...dolts.

As for Story Mode, if you have the PSP version it's got guides you can buy in Gallery at the shop (4K).

There are a few guides to CT somewhere...I think this place might help: http://www.blazblue.com/forum/

CT is very dead, with the arrival of CS over the horizon and the fact that people quit that game competitively fairly quickly. That, and most of the top players stopped playing CT for CS 3 months ago when people started getting cabs.

That may be all very well and good, but since when are top players more important than everyday players and their simple needs? And since when can the everyday joe even AFFORD a cab. Get real.

Everyone can afford a cab. Just don't tip the driver, when he lets you out at the arcade.

That may be all very well and good, but since when are top players more important than everyday players and their simple needs?

since forever; because without good players, good games wouldn't exist.

of course i don't expect you to get this, but maybe someone else will.

This site was made to be used in competitive gaming, right?

See Zepp Museum and (the former) BlazBlue General.

As for CT being dead, I kinda blame CS being released too early. I mean, it might help the new players who picked up CT a year late.

A ton of people don't live in California and wherever the other major arcade spots are in the US. Besides, even though this might have no relation at all, #R still is hella active in Europe (even if #R is just for passing some time.)

Speaking of Europe, they're getting the console release of CT, correct? I guess having a section for CT archived somewhere would help.

Also, yay for off-topicness.

This site was made to be used in competitive gaming, right?

Sorta I always heard this site was for scrubs to learn shit, hopefully including how to not be a scrub.

since forever; because without good players, good games wouldn't exist.

of course i don't expect you to get this, but maybe someone else will.

That made me laugh so hard. Qwerty <3

Anyways, It was sort of just a suggestion. By all means if you guys don't think it's necessary/needed/people can just go to gfaqs, then feel free to leave the original post as is.

Depending on the character you're learning, you may be welcomed, or you may be shunned.

Certain characters attract certain personality types, I suppose.

:X

Sign in to follow this