shtkn

The "Help Using a Joystick" Thread

Sanwa pushbuttons are a lot more sensitive, you can just hardly brush your fingers over them and the input will be registered. Seimitsu buttons take more force to engage, but both are very responsive. Sanwa is much more popular in cabinets and the like so I would guess people are more used to them.

If I recall correctly I think Seimitsu buttons are a bit "clickier", while Sanwa tend to be a bit more smooth on the plunge. Sort of like their sticks, I guess.

So, I just got a stick for my birthday and I'm starting to use it. One thing I noticed is that it's harder to tell where the stick exactly is; when I'm using a dpad, my thumb covers most of it so its easy to tell by touch where I'm pushing it... whereas with the stick I'm a bit in the dark still if I'm pushing forward or down-forward too much, thus getting 3C instead of 6C, etc.

Also is it normal to "ride the gates"? I'm doing my moves by listening for the clicks on the stick. For 623 I'm doing the actual Z motion.

My hands were getting tired just from a few matches, though... on the pad I can normally go hours and hours and be fine.

First keep at the stick, you'll get used to it, less tired, less gate riding, etc. Everyone has trouble with the square gates at first, because it puts emphasis on the diagonals as opposed to the cardinal directions, but practice makes perfect. If you are new to stick, I recommend feeling your way around at first (i.e. riding the gate), eventually you will get a feel for the stick's locations, and you will back off the gate and your execution will tighten up.

Edit: What grip do you use. If you're getting overly tired you might consider another one. Personally I use the wineglass grip, but kinda tipped on its side.

I don't really have one yet. I just pinch the ball between my index finger and thumb. That seemed the natural way to use it but I can't do things like dashing so something else might be better. That or I just change how I'm holding it depending on what move I want to do, to whatever makes it easier.

Riding the gates is natural. It's something you learn to deal with as you get comfortable with the stick. 236 and 214 motions are prime to this, but until you get used to it, your 236 may register as 623 sometimes if you have habits of holding forward. For example, think your Haku combo of CH 3C > 6B > 236A. If you continue holding 6 after the 6B and riding the gate for the 236A, your input will register as 623A. Learning to reset to neutral takes a bit of time to get used to, but once you have it down, there isn't a combo you can't perform.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2009/jul/08/tips-switching-pad-joystick/

also

Riding the gate is fine, especially while you're learning. If you put some effort into learning how far you actually need to move the stick*, you'll end up moving less in matches and getting motions out faster, but I'd say learning how to do standard motions (IAD included) is more important at first.

*- extra important if you ever use an octo-gate stick, since they basically just have longer cardinal distance to the gate (with the same engage).

I found this thread to be very helpful since I'm considering in on getting a stick myself.

The only problem I have with myself is do I really have the time and am willing to invest time on training with it AND "relearning" characters I already spent plenty of time practicing with on the D-pad?:8/:

I found this thread to be very helpful since I'm considering in on getting a stick myself.

The only problem I have with myself is do I really have the time and am willing to invest time on training with it AND "relearning" characters I already spent plenty of time practicing with on the D-pad?:8/:

An understandable concern. I will admit that there are professional pad players (even in Japan), but they're not very common. Arcade sticks are more traditional and don't seem to cramp your hands. When I practiced for 1 hour+ when I used a dpad, my hands would feel like I slammed a car door on them (exaggeration).

Also, if you're really worried about CS and actually playing competitively, now is really a VERY good time to pick up learning an arcade stick. CS is still not coming out until July, giving you a few months to pass while learning the arcade stick on CT. Then, when CS hits, you're all prepared and have a decent understanding on how to use a stick. Unless you're picking up SSF4, then you might want to buy the arcade stick, like today.

I just started playing stick on BB about a week ago. I've been playing Soul Calibur on stick for as long as I can remember, but it isn't exactly full of input motions, so a lot of this is new to me.

Already, I've gotten a lot of stuff down, but I'm having problems with Right-Facing IAD, Left Facing DPMs, RC > Dash, and Dash cancels. I can do them fine, but the timing always seems just barely to late to follow up (IE; DC > 6A with Ragna)

But I definitely need to practice more. We'll see how it goes~

Yeah, just keep practicing. I'd recommend doing execution drills(ex. try to do it 5 or 10 times in a row without messing up) to help your execution. Of course make sure you try it in actual matches too, it can feel really different if you don't have the experience.

A thought for any 'switching to stick.' If you are switching to a stick, it's probably because you want to take your game to a higher level. If that's the case, then the true advantage in a Sanwa or any square gate type stick is it's ability to be exact in your motions. Stop spamming from day one while you train. If you hit buttons multiple times during gatlings/chains, or spam your inputs directions during combos or reversals and and still find a way to make them come out most of the time, then you are still in bad shape when it comes to matches. The sooner in your training you start to do just the amount of inputs as necessary, the quicker you will level up. Grain of salt, of course, but trust me. It's the single biggest thing you can do to make yourself better.

a couple of things i discovered from my transition from pad to stick a year ago:

- on pad, you're mashing directionals as fast as you can, and often do directionals multiple times just to make sure they come out. when first playing on stick, i'd recommend slowing down your directional inputs; you'll probably soon discover that hitstop is in the game for a reason.

- sanwa buttons are sensitive. you do not have to mash them to register an input- in fact, you should be as gentle as possible so much as to allow for the most amount of control over your inputs. a little experiment to see just how sensitive they are; put your stick a foot or so above your lap and then drop it- 9 times out of 10, a button or two will register an input.

- if you feel that you're confident in your stick handling ability (NO HOMO ECKS DEE), pop in super turbo. no, not that sirloin romhack shit, i mean the original. if you can consistently do inputs in that game, everything else should be a breeze.

Ive had my stick for a couple months or so now. I just started to practice with it seriously a couple weeks ago to get ready for ssf4. Right now im kinda in the stage of finding a comfortable grip because i cant seem to find one consistent to me. Ill find a position i like for a few days then end up switching because i cant do certain combos or i cant find my directionals. The guys i play locally always tell me, if i wanna learn stick i have to drop pad all together. Which i would be cool with if i didnt get so frustrated trying to do combos i know i can do on pad on stick. I know it takes awhile but would it be better to just stick with one grip or just keep searching until i find something comfortable?

Ive had my stick for a couple months or so now. I just started to practice with it seriously a couple weeks ago to get ready for ssf4. Right now im kinda in the stage of finding a comfortable grip because i cant seem to find one consistent to me. Ill find a position i like for a few days then end up switching because i cant do certain combos or i cant find my directionals. The guys i play locally always tell me, if i wanna learn stick i have to drop pad all together. Which i would be cool with if i didnt get so frustrated trying to do combos i know i can do on pad on stick. I know it takes awhile but would it be better to just stick with one grip or just keep searching until i find something comfortable?

What kind of characters do you play? If you play charge characters compared to shoto style, a different grip is generally advised.

I normally stick to characters who aren't charge based, so I set my fingers like in the picture attached. Index and middle on the left side of the stick, ring and pinky on the underside as support, with the thumb used for back dash or 214 type motions.

post-8495-139515160493_thumb.jpg

I normally stay away from charge chars, only because i dont know how to "charge" effectively. Learning May right now so hopefully that will change.

They way im experimenting now is kinda like what you posted, only have my hand open and i kinda rest my index a little higher on the ball.

While I agree with Kaiser in that there are grips that might be slightly better for different motions, you should really just play around until you find something comfortable. If you find a comfortable grip you will play much better with it than anything else, regardless of how 'pro' it is for you character. There really is no wrong way to hold a stick, just common and uncommon ways.

I've read it before but would like to confirm it: does the PS3 Fighting Stick 3 from Hori work on PC too?

Some people say it works and others say it doesn't. =/

This isn't true at all, I can play Keyboard/pad/stick all with good proficiency.

I do have some problems going between them for certain things. I tend to press buttons 1 frame earlier on stick/keyboard, than I do on pad. My DPs on keyboard/stick are flawless while on Pad, I occasionally screw them up. 720 motions on a keyboard are a bitch etc..etc.

As far as consistent comfortable grip, use whichever one you find the most comfortable for the first 15 minutes your playing. When I first used the wineglass grip(between ring and index) it was only comfortable for about 30minutes then it became very uncomfortable, but after a few weeks or so I really preferred it over the other grips.

The grip kaiser posted is the one I see most people use around me I tried it a bit too its quite good, and comfortable.

I've read it before but would like to confirm it: does the PS3 Fighting Stick 3 from Hori work on PC too?

Some people say it works and others say it doesn't. =/

My TE stick works on my PC. It's a 360 board, not sure if that would entirely matter though.

This isn't true at all, I can play Keyboard/pad/stick all with good proficiency.

I think you misunderstood or maybe i misunderstood the point your trying to make now. But when they say drop pad, they pretty much just mean drop it so I wont be tempted to go back while i learn stick. Im going to keep playing pad because I feel Tekken is alot more comfortable on pad than stick IMO.

Im going to keep playing pad because I feel Tekken is alot more comfortable on pad than stick IMO.

As I quote from a friend: "I'm going to keep walking everywhere because it's a lot easier than learning how to drive".

The SF4 Tournament Edition (Round 1) fight stick is only $100 at Amazon.com right now. Or get the Round 2 for $130.

Is there anything different about the Round 2 besides it being a lot sexier? :psyduck:

Is this the right thread to post this in? Couldn't remember if there was a general stick thread or not. :v:

I'd like to know about the differences between the R1 and R2 SF4 TE sticks also. I'll be picking up one of them, but I don't know which one :/