pulsr

Going To/Running My First Gathering/Tournament

Fuck, that's genius.

NY better bring some to Jersey next time ya'll show up.

What you just said bbq,

also have important ground rules that your guests will follow. which i'll take for example whenever I host

1. No smoking, unless you're in the backyard

2. Absolutely no alcohol since my parents are at home in the living room and if anything happens I get the blame.

3. Clean up as mentioned

Cash Battle = Smash

Money Match = Every other fighting game community

Some peeps will hate on you for that...Peeps like me.

I've never heard a smash person say "Cash Battle." The others are true and weird though.

(yo wtf cash battle, niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice)

If you're gonna bring a friend that's interested in seeing what's up in da gear neighborhood but maybe isn't apart of this ridiculous forum community, clear it with the host. I'm sure no one will mind, but don't be that guy bringing like 4 random people no one knows. That's not a cool guy most the time.

If you are driving, and someone is only like 5 minutes out the way for you, do the friend thing and grab that shit up. A simple "HAI GUYS! I'm going to here from there, if you're in between and need a ride, PM me addy and I'll see if I can." is all you need to do in your local 'Let's talk about meeting up, but never actually do it.' thread.

If you are getting a ride from some one, offer gas moneys. For whatever reason you can't drive, and that's cool. You don't need a license and a car to be polite.

Simple enough, but if like 20 people are diggin' on a game you aren't so into, you got two options. One, suck it up, have a good time, at least make a effort to join in the festivities. Or Two, ask ****in a NOT bitchy/assholey/annoying way**** if anyone wants to grab on the game of your choice. Obviously we don't want you to hate the evening, but no one wants some guy in the corner going 'Come on guys, stop playing shitblue 4 and play random shitty fighting game with me instead!'

(Oh, and if you get random IK'd, unplug their controller... slyly... and return the favor. You got my permission.)

tl:dr - Manners people. Use 'em.

Nice thread, thanks for posting it, I've just got a few questions. Is lending your stick to people you've never met the norm? (Going pretty far away from where I live for my first tournament (SVB) and know absolutely no-one there is person, I'd like to trust more people but I hear storys of people getting their stuff jacked and how you've got to keep an eye on it) I see some warning signs on some packets about plugging them in to turned on consoles (cubejoybox) so does the console need rebooting every time a player using converters comes, or do you just plug it in and go? And what do you do to set up the buttons usualy, is it done from the menu or is a round started up and paused before being restarted after the config is set?

Lending your things out to ANYONE is entirely up to you. You aren't required to and isn't impolite to respectfully say no. There's really no right or wrong here. Most adapters in my experience don't need any system rebooting, you SHOULD be able to just plug it in. Buttons are usually set by starting a round and returning to character select.

Nice thread, thanks for posting it, I've just got a few questions.

Is lending your stick to people you've never met the norm? (Going pretty far away from where I live for my first tournament (SVB) and know absolutely no-one there is person, I'd like to trust more people but I hear storys of people getting their stuff jacked and how you've got to keep an eye on it)

I lend my stick out to other people sometimes, but I always keep an eye on it. I haven't really seen anything stolen, but I only went to one really big tournament (SvB last year), the others were much smaller (20 to 40 people).

Anyways, if you are going to SvB, I'm going too, so we can meet up if you want. I also play Rachel btw. Last year I think only 2 Rachel players were there (me included), so I welcome any new ones =).

Don't worry about not knowing anyone in real life before going. Last time, I went all by myself all the way from Belgium and I met up with some great people from UK, France and Greece. You'll get to know new people pretty easily (if you don't act like a prick :)).

I lend my stick out to other people sometimes, but I always keep an eye on it. I haven't really seen anything stolen, but I only went to one really big tournament (SvB last year), the others were much smaller (20 to 40 people).

Anyways, if you are going to SvB, I'm going too, so we can meet up if you want. I also play Rachel btw. Last year I think only 2 Rachel players were there (me included), so I welcome any new ones =).

Don't worry about not knowing anyone in real life before going. Last time, I went all by myself all the way from Belgium and I met up with some great people from UK, France and Greece. You'll get to know new people pretty easily (if you don't act like a prick :)).

Actually a SF4 player of our community (Sean) got his stick robbed right during SvB last year. So I'd advice still being pretty careful (and always keep an eye on your stuff) when attending big events with lots of people.

Btw, I might be attending SvB this year provided that I won't still be in Japan for my summer study vacation organized by my uni. :X

Actually a SF4 player of our community (Sean) got his stick robbed right during SvB last year. So I'd advice still being pretty careful (and always keep an eye on your stuff) when attending big events with lots of people.

Btw, I might be attending SvB this year provided that I won't still be in Japan for my summer study vacation organized by my uni. :X

Lots of shit gets stolen. You just really need to keep an eye on where your shit is though. I let my stick be used by about 5-6 people at NEC, and since i was sitting there watching the matches, it wasn't a problem. If a motherfucker needed it for another game, i would have declined.

Also, if you bring setups, keep an eye on those too, even though its hard to get away with im sure people have stolen them too.

Sounds good, would probably be meeting right at the event though since I'm getting to london with my family since it's in the holidays, at least it should be easy to find eachother considering how few Rachels that'd be there. (Especialy with CS probably being run)

And thanks for the tips on looking out for my stuff, probably going to try and finish wiring up my ps2 stick and get hold of a ps3 adaptor so it's less stuff to keep an eye on.

Sounds good, would probably be meeting right at the event though since I'm getting to london with my family since it's in the holidays, at least it should be easy to find eachother considering how few Rachels that'd be there. (Especialy with CS probably being run)

Not sure yet if I'll keep maining Rachel. I think I will though. But yeah we'll probably run into each other at the event itself.

One of my friends left his stick on a table at a tournament so he could go to the bathroom, some random idiot decided to borrow his stick without permission, then mashed on it so hard that it broke one of his buttons.

It's not a bad thing to loan your stick to someone who needs it, I do it at tournies that are actually ran on xboxes, but watch it like a hawk at all times.

Here's a suggestion: if you're in need of an arcade stick, build one. That's what I did with mine, and it never seems to have gotten lost, probably because you can tell where it is most of the time.

Here's a suggestion: if you're in need of an arcade stick, build one. That's what I did with mine, and it never seems to have gotten lost, probably because you can tell where it is most of the time.

This. I went to a meet up and it was a sea of bone stock round 1 TEs. Art mod or colored buttons are being ordered for mine so I avoid bringing home someone else's stick.

Lending your things out to ANYONE is entirely up to you. You aren't required to and isn't impolite to respectfully say no. There's really no right or wrong here.

Most adapters in my experience don't need any system rebooting, you SHOULD be able to just plug it in.

Buttons are usually set by starting a round and returning to character select.

As a person who currently has to borrow shit all the time...seriously we don't mind, just say no normally there are like a 5-6 other people who will let us borrow their stick...and beggers can't be choosers.

Also if you play a 720 character, learn how to do the motion without making sound, your opponent will catch on quickly.

Also dittos on the don't say what your going to do before you do it. Sure when your doing a combo.

But yeah most important thing is to just go you will learn stuff and hopefully you have fun, don't worry about "being in practice" or "ready" just go.

Also dittos on the don't say what your going to do before you do it. Sure when your doing a combo.

I say "I'm gonna Atomic Collider after your tech" and 720 them.

I say "I'm gonna 720 you after your tech" and Atomic Collider them.

Shit works offline.

People definitely have the right to not let people borrow their sticks. Just don't be expected to return the favor if they need it.

I'm also gonna state some obvious things but I still see it being done at my local tournaments/gatherings.

NEVER walk in front of a TV being used during tournament. That's just out right careless and disrespectful.

Since most of our tournaments are run on PS3, we have pad users in our midst so if you're using a Sixaxis/Dualshock 3, turn off your controller after you are done playing your match. I hate when they don't because it sometimes can interrupt a tournament match and then you have to hunt them down, tell them to turn it off, restart the match (shit sucks if it's tournament) and the pad user who fucked them up acts inconvenienced that they have to go over to shut off their controller.

If every setup is being used, it's normal to call ups/next. DO NOT call ups on multiple setups simultaneously. Wait your turn to play. DO NOT call ups only to walk away to take a phone call or use the restroom then complain that someone took your spot. You left? Back of the line.

Also, random courtesy while playing casuals: if you must take a phone call during your match, let your opponent know and let the next person play. Don't expect to get your spot back if you mid-match. They will not wait for you if there is a line. Don't complain that you lost because of stupid shit. Stupid shit happened because you let it happen. Blame yourself and take it as a lesson to improve your game. No one likes a bitch who cries like a scrub. So finish your set before you get off the setup if you have no life pressing matters to attend to. If you lost your set or are finished playing, you may leave the set up so the next person may play. If there is line of people waiting to play, DO NOT run it back. You can do that at house gatherings with close friends or at a setup with absolutely no line, not at a house gathering with people you're only acquainted with or casuals at a venue.

Tournament courtesy: If we have only so many setups and there's a tournament to be run with a decent or large turnout, please refrain from playing casuals until the very end of the bracket (ie. losers finals/winners finals/grand finals) or after the tournament. If you are playing casuals at a setup that needs to be used for a tournament and we ask you to stop playing so a tournament match can be played so the tournament can finish faster, be a good sport and stop your match. There will always be time for casuals after the tournament. Don't bitch and moan about it. The faster the tournament is finished, the faster we can get back to casuals and the longer all of us can play. Don't make idle talk with players playing a tournament match. Let them play their match. The only thing they should be able to hear are the spectators, the game, and/or the music from their music player of choice. Don't talk to them unless they asked to be talked to.

I went to NEC which was my first tournament ever. It was extremely fun but in GG, I got owned. Hard. I don't know what happened. It's like all my training for years went out the window.

I play Zappa so I knew it would be a major uphill battle but man, it was crazy how fast I got beat. Then I did casuals with FaultyDefense's Venom. I tried to get tips but he could only help me out so much because nobody plays Zappa.

I don't have anyone to play GG with at home. How do I train for my next GG tournament with no high level players to go against? I plan to go to one of the TeamSt1ckbug tourneys in NYC sometime.

I went to NEC which was my first tournament ever. It was extremely fun but in GG, I got owned. Hard. I don't know what happened. It's like all my training for years went out the window.

I play Zappa so I knew it would be a major uphill battle but man, it was crazy how fast I got beat. Then I did casuals with FaultyDefense's Venom. I tried to get tips but he could only help me out so much because nobody plays Zappa.

I don't have anyone to play GG with at home. How do I train for my next GG tournament with no high level players to go against? I plan to go to one of the TeamSt1ckbug tourneys in NYC sometime.

One thing is to watch whatever match vids you can find. Any MU you have no experience in... if you can at least see some games, you might catch on to a trick here and there. See something in the vid you dont quite get/arent sure of/dunno what the fuck happened? Ask in your char's forum.

Really thats all you can do. Training mode/Match vids/chattin' it up. Best of luck to ya though mang

Small predicament I'm in. I plan on attending my first big tournament at the end of May, and I'd like to play on my standard PS3 pad (since I'm at my best when I use it.) The problem being, there's a rule that states that it must be connected with a USB, and not work when disconnected from the PS3. Is there any way to do this with my pad now, or is there a pad I can buy that can also do this? My other options would be learning how to use my stick now (Highly doubt 3 months is enough) or buy a PS2 pad and buy a cable to make it PS3 compatible. Any other suggestions or recommendations?