Sign in to follow this  
xntrikcat

bbct tier history?

As a relatively late comer to bb, I got a quick question about how people's perception of bbct's tier/ balance has evolved. What did the tier list look like when the game first came out? I know that Carl was considered kinda weak while Tager and Hakumen seemed stronger than we think of them today...

Any other chars that rose up or moved down in the tier list? I'm hoping to gauge what realistic adjustments we can expect in the CS tier list by looking at what happened in CT.

Don't expect too much. Most people already know what kind of stuff most characters can do (even if they have been changed significantly in some cases) so unless someone finds some really bullshit reset or loop for a character, they're most likely going to stay where they are now.

I vaguely remember this tier list when I first started playing. It was shortly after Tokido popularized Arakune's 6c loop and before Nu came out. All I know is that before that, Ragna was consistently top tier and shortly after that, people figured out Rachel frog combo setups.

S: Arakune

A: Ragna

B: Litchi, Noel, Rachel

B-: Jin, Tao, Bang

C: Tager

D: Carl

Heh.

You won't be able to guess CS tier changes by looking at this.

And this makes me laugh.

I thought Jin would be placed higher.

You know, since he was too damned bullshit in CT (maybe not like Arakune or Nu, but he was too damned good for beginners).

Jin eventually took over Ragna's spot around the time they figured out his 5c j.b j.c j.d combo on standing opponents. People finally learned how to block Ragna's mixup.

I personally agree with this tier list: http://dexter-ashurum.livejournal.com/148301.html Except I think Noel should be a tiny bit higher, since R-1 found some pretty sweet shit with her.

:v: That's not a Calamity Trigger rank list.

And WTF @ Arakune being better ranked than Hakumen and Jin being A- :psyduck:

I vaguely remember this tier list when I first started playing. It was shortly after Tokido popularized Arakune's 6c loop and before Nu came out. All I know is that before that, Ragna was consistently top tier and shortly after that, people figured out Rachel frog combo setups.

S: Arakune

B: Litchi, Noel, Rachel

B-: Jin, Tao, Bang

Close.

S: Arakune, Rachel

B: about the same, with Jin closer to the bottom of B with Bang

Been a while, but yeah it's mostly like that, with Rachel being S tier from early game and Jin rounding out the bottom of B tier with Bang.

Shortly after Hakumen came out:

S: Arakune, Rachel

A: Tao

B+: Ragna, everyone else

B-: Noel, Hakumen

C: Bang, Carl, Tager (in that order)

Bang might have still been in B-.

Post Nu evolution and Carl clap loop discovered (and stayed this way to the end):

S: Nu, Arakune, Rachel

A: Jin, Carl

B: everyone else

C: Bang, Hakumen, Tager

Heh.

You won't be able to guess CS tier changes by looking at this.

And this makes me laugh.

I'm not trying to guess what exactly will change in CS tier per se, but I'm more interested in knowing how drastic the tiers changed, and how drastic tier changes in CS might be. And according to what Spirit Juice posted, it looks like the tier list pretty much stayed the same, save for slight readjustments (Bang, Jin, Ragna, Tao and Hakumen), with one major exception being Carl, who got moved up drastically thanks to the clap loop.

I guess it'd be pretty safe to conclude, then, that the CS tier list will see even less drastic changes, considering people are more familiar with the general system and the limitations of each character. (Not like we didn't know that already, but I like having an idea how things have changed)

My oh my. It's amazing how one loop to a very effective combo could easily adjusts everyone opinion over a tier list. It was some time ago when I first seen BB playable only three or was it four that were playable. Ragna, Jin, Noel, and Tager I believe.

My oh my. It's amazing how one loop to a very effective combo could easily adjusts everyone opinion over a tier list. It was some time ago when I first seen BB playable only three or was it four that were playable. Ragna, Jin, Noel, and Tager I believe.

aye it was indeed one loop..... that was infinite and could be started from 99% of his normals >_>

What's carl's placement in CT without throw loop?

He was lower than Tager, iirc

I remember seeing a tier list that had Ragna at the very top, but I think that was on GameFAQs so it doesn't count:psyduck:

right now, though, if you took away his clap loop I think he was mid-tier iirc. This is based on vague memory, but I think they found the clap loop before they found some of his deadly alle-can setups. It's pretty apparent now if you play Carl. He's still a decent character without the clap loop, with high damaging combos granted you have a good starter. (j.2c is an amazing one)

I don't think he'd be lower than Tager now, yeah (without clap loop).

Not so sure he'd escape C tier though/be clearly better than Bang and Hakumen.

I dont think I saw any tierlistings with Carl being decent preclaploop.

If you honestly believe Carl is good without clap loop just observe the two matchups he has where clap loop doesnt work (Hakumen, Rachel) to see what his game is like without it (its pretty terrible).

If you honestly believe Carl is good without clap loop just observe the two matchups he has where clap loop doesnt work (Hakumen, Rachel) to see what his game is like without it (its pretty terrible).

I would say that Carl isn't so bad as everyone thinks he is sans the clap loop.

The thing is, the clap lop was discovered before many of his other high damaging combos, so people sort of stopped trying to do anything other than the clap.

A lot of stuff wasn't even really experimented with until CS came out. There's a bunch of good combos Carl can do in CS and CT but in CT we have the loop so people say "why bother".

In CS Carl is solid A tier, and he hasn't received any drastic changes aside from the loop being taken out IIRC. Just little tweaks here and there plus Volante.

Edit:

Grammar :3

I know PERSONAL EXPERIENCE MEANS NOTHING, but I'm a pretty mediocre player with no real life experience, and no actual non-computer experience in other fighting games, and I've done pretty alright for myself with Carl online without being able to do the clap loop even close to consistently. I try to set it up, but usually I don't get more than one throw in, or I just go into Nirvana's uppercut thing.

Maybe it's just because everybody online sucks, but I have beaten people ranked in the top 10 for several characters. If he's really that bad, I must be better than I thought. :v:

I know PERSONAL EXPERIENCE MEANS NOTHING, but I'm a pretty mediocre player with no real life experience, and no actual non-computer experience in other fighting games, and I've done pretty alright for myself with Carl online without being able to do the clap loop even close to consistently. I try to set it up, but usually I don't get more than one throw in, or I just go into Nirvana's uppercut thing.

Maybe it's just because everybody online sucks, but I have beaten people ranked in the top 10 for several characters. If he's really that bad, I must be better than I thought. :v:

I beat people ranked in top ten all the time. Most aren't that good at all, they just play ranked (read: play shitty players) way too much.