Kyle

Arcade Stick vs Controller

The objective benefit of owning a stick over a controller is that sticks (the ones with getting) are far more durable. Not to say they're indestructible, but a stick can last easy through several controllers.

I suppose it depends on how you treat them, because while I have friends who have needed to buy a new stick or fix a pre-existing one, I've owned the same stick since since 2010 and still going.

Yea, sticks have a longer insurance compared to controllers, but then I guess it depends entirely on how you handle them. For the couple of months I played BB on pad before I got my Hori, I found my Dualshock falling apart with the left analog not moving properly and some buttons mashed in.

This thread is somewhat pointless. There is no question that arcade stick is better than gamepad, or keyboard. You just have to look at tournaments where everyone uses a stick- those that don't, don't get very far.

In Windows, you can't even have more than 3-4 keys pressed at the same time anyway!

Not true, really. It depends on personal preference.

Examples:

Belgium's best Tekken and Soul Calibur player uses pad (JinTheBest), actually a lot of tekken players prefer playing on pad. Won several tournaments.

Ever heard of Louffy ? He's a very famous player from France, he plays SFIV and KOFXIII at pro level with a PS1 pad. Won several tournaments.

To bring it more to the dustloop side of games: the player who is regarded as being the best at Blazblue in the UK, plays on pad (Kiba). Won several tournaments.

These are just a couple of examples, I've seen many good players use pads. I do think they are in the minority though.

I must say, I never saw someone use a keyboard at a tournament :)

There is no question that arcade stick is better than gamepad, or keyboard. You just have to look at tournaments where everyone uses a stick- those that don't, don't get very far.

Wolfkrone

Vangief (Made it to SF 25th Anniversary tournament)

BrolyLegs (already mentioned)

Cloud805 (Top 8 EVO Marvel)

SKD

Grover (P4U Narukami player)

and the list nstalkie posted

and many others..

They all use Pads and have made it very far in tournaments, some even WINNING them.

Edited by Pssych

This thread is somewhat pointless. There is no question that arcade stick is better than gamepad, or keyboard. You just have to look at tournaments where everyone uses a stick- those that don't, don't get very far.

In Windows, you can't even have more than 3-4 keys pressed at the same time anyway!

i believe you can click on the icons under my avatar

i play pad

False, as already pointed out. I'll agree that stick is superior to pad, but it's only superior in terms of ease of use. Once you reach the execution cap for pad, you can do roughly everything that a stick player can do, including plinking.

Who told you that? It's absolutely not true. Rollover is keyboard-dependent, not OS dependent, and any good keyboard supports any number of simultaneous keypresses.

Unless you're playing a game or character where stick provides an overwhelming benefit, it's unnecessary over a good pad. I play stick, and I like stick better, but that doesn't mean you can't wreck face on pad: I just think stick is more comfortable, and makes it easier to hit buttons in rapid succession. There are tons of great pad players who show just how possible it is to be successful with a pad, especially in a four-button game like BB or MBAACC.

The real reason to play stick is so that, one day, you can LIVE THE DREAM and go body people at JP arcades.

Who told you that? It's absolutely not true. Rollover is keyboard-dependent, not OS dependent, and any good keyboard supports any number of simultaneous keypresses.

But very few people shop for a "good keyboard"; They use the one that came with their PC, which was selected for price, not quality. It's definitely NOT unusual for keyboards to have weird issues with simultaneous keypresses.

I would not recommend the keyboard as an input device for fighting games.

Anyone have a tip on how to disconnect arcade stick buttons from their cables? My current stick seems to be rapid firing Triangle and Circle, and I can't pull the cables off them.

Are they connected via quick-disconnect connectors? If so just keep pulling until they come off, though sometimes it takes a little more effort than you would think.

Edit: Disregard this, learned something new today.

Edited by Delrian

If that's those cables that look like they've been folded inwards on themselves, yeah it's them.

Are they connected via quick-disconnect connectors? If so just keep pulling until they come off, though sometimes it takes a little more effort than you would think.

FYI:

Quick Disconnects

post-14772-139515175472_thumb.jpg

Do not keep pulling on them until they come off. You risk damaging the cable, and the terminal or worse removing the qd from the wire.

If you have a small flathead screwdriver rock the QD up a bit and then wedge the flathead between the button and the QD and twist the flathead to walk it off the terminal.

It is possible but imo it is much harder on pad. Back when I played on pad I actually damaged my Saturn pad for ps2 while practicing that move. I was able to repair it with a part from an actual Saturn pad but it was never quite as good after that

Do only Madcatz PS3 fight sticks have problems being used on PC, or do other brands like Hori (PS3 versions) have the same issue?

I've had no problem with my Hori PS3 stick on the PC so far

pre Chun-li TE's are the sticks that have the issues (and at that they still work on some nvidia chipsets). I can't think of any Horis that have had issues.

Is there a pad tier list for ps2 pads yet? If not, what can yall tell me bout Nubytech and their fatality controller for ps2?

I decided to splurge and pre-order the 25th anniversary ASW stick. I guess it is made by EXAR, same as that silent Guilty Gear stick that came out. I hope it works with the PS4 lol.

I guess I will have to mod my SF4 Round 2 TE to work for the PS4 as I suspect it won't, since it doesn't work for PC.

Speaking of which, where do you guys buy your stick cases? I made one myself, but it isn't very nice. I've had that one for awhile and now I should think about upgrading. The ones I've found so far are large and expensive; I want something cheap and small. Thoughts?

What do you consider expensive? Are you looking for something with Sanwa or equivalent quality parts? I bought my Madcatz TE off Amazon /w free shipping.

I think he's referring to the carrying case.