Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Stormlocke

[GGAC] Robo-Ky Matchups!

When you start ur jump, use j.p. The fish can mixup randomly so you jsut have to able to read it (lasers or bite), and be careful with the bubbles to, make sure u hit ur lvl 3 misles at a range that is safe. Use 5p as a wake up jsut incase he does wake up super (the coffin one), Try to instant block as much as y ou can, cause dizzy gonna have to play agressive to win. You can check out my match vids in the video thread.

I've been running into some problems in regards to the Dizzy matchup. For some reason, I just dont know where to begin in this match/when to stop blocking.

I know Dizzy has bad defense, and starting pressure after knockdown is easy enough, but the mid-screen fighting is killing me, what with the projectiles and j.2S. Something Im not putting together in this matchup?

You should own mid to long ranges against Dizzy, since lvl 3 missiles completely shuts her down. If you don't have the tension, you can just hang back, lay a mat, and IB any projectiles she throws at you. You might also want to randomly throw out lvl 2 missiles, as one CH has the potential to dizzy her. Make sure to get the missile loop on her every time you get the opportunity.

My new avatar shows how to win jam match up.

to beat jam,

just play as Faust

thats what i do :cool:

but if your not so inclined, just lvl 3 SRK that fb puffball trash. But dont be surprised if all you get is a CH non-super. The timing is weird like that.

but if your not so inclined, just lvl 3 SRK that fb puffball trash. But dont be surprised if all you get is a CH non-super. The timing is weird like that.

This will *only* work if Jam does FB ball in your face (i.e. she does the move within range of DP). However, this should pretty much NEVER happen, as any halfway decent Jam will use the ball early as to specifically avoid this situation.

Anyone know the match up well against HOS, he one of those characters I never play against. Im the only one around in the south that plays him cept pozerwolf (a little) and someone from bama, but I dont see them hardly at all. The match up says its in HOS favor but for what reasons is it. I can only speculate that HOS 5HS anti air will shut out all of robo's air moves (maybe clash if you do a low AID j.HS or beat out HOS 5HS entirely. I dont think HOS can charge cancel as much because robo ky 5HS should beat it out (perhaps cause a counter hit if IB beforehand). I doubt you can air missile lvl 3 at all (would think HOS should run under it and then 5hs, the fall). Also im pretty sure he has more then 3 ways of taking out horsie (unsure though: 6HS,any specials besides Bandit revolver). Anyone have any thoughts, gotta get prepared for NEC8.

Well, the Sol Matchup is about 50-50 according to the charts. Order Sol is, in most regards, strictly better than Sol, therefore making the matchup slightly tweaked in OS's favor. And I don't think throwing out 5HS at the end of his blockstrings is a great idea, as you can definately eat his EX for 150-200 damage if he notices you doing that a lot. My thoughts would be that his normals are just superior in range/poking ability ("priority" if you will). Like you said, air missiles are generally not the best idea. Your okizeme is generally not safe due to his DP or reversal super, whereas your DP will lose to his okizeme gunblaze for decent CH damage. Just be wary about that gunblaze shit, and oftentimes theyll gunblaze once while youre on the ground and again as youre getting up for a double-ish type crossup. Hope any of that helps, but I don't have a ton of experience fighting OS, only Sol (and the Sol complains about how OS is so much better lol)

I think Sol is little better still since he doesnt need an AC for his moves and his sidewinder loop can be done off of anything as long as u have 50% or less tension. But I digress. When you do the 5hs after his blockstring (when u are suppose to Charge Cancel with HOS) its only when u can frc. I am 100% sure he cant do anything about it (this is me playing my HOS against alot of different characters). Though im positive he can 2D but ur frc on robo ky 5hs should allow you to block it easy. Thanks for the insight though.

snip

Robo vs Sol is completely different than Robo vs OS. Sol is actually much, much easier to beat since his moves aren't a total counter to Robo, unlike OS's.

Robo's oki versus OS is actually very safe. Meaty 5P or a correctly placed lvl 3 bazooka will avoid reversal DP or super every time.

snip

This match is super annoying.

The three biggest problems Robo has against OS are:

1) Robo Ky lacks a safe, reliable anti-air move, and OS has probably the best air to ground game of any character. OS will jump in at you with j.H, and there's really nothing you can do about it. 6P will lose to j.H with CH every time, so don't bother with it. Your only hope is to get an early 2H, but that's really risky.

2) OS is much, much faster in Robo in every way. You are more or less totally boned after blocking anything, since his 2S will beat any retaliatory move you might want to do. You'll be hard pressed to do *anything* after a blocked Rock It (OS will beat anything you try with 2S) or a bandit revolver (OS will probably do j.P to avoid the throw and you can't do anything about it).

You'll have to get used to staying in the corner, because OS will put you there often and there's nothing you can do to prevent it.

Your best tools to use against him are:

1) IB. Do it at much as possible because you'll be guarding most of the match.

2) Meaty 5P or mid-range lvl 3 bazooka on oki. Always do lvl 3 bazooka if you have the tension (lvl 2 can work too, but the distancing is trickier). Otherwise, use a meaty 5P; it will avoid his DP every time, after which you can jump and aircombo or DP to CH the charge cancel and do a big combo.

3) 2H. It's risky, but it works unusually well against OS because of his wide air hitbox. The worst he can do to you on the ground is a short combo ending with 2D, which isn't all that bad, all things considered.

4) DP (+ super). Again, it's risky, but you have to play risky if you want to win this match. You can IB + DP in a number of spots, like block string into Rock It.

You *are* going to get hit a lot in this match, but that's OK, since OS does crap damage (mostly) and Robo takes damage like a champ. You'll probably do fine as long as you concentrate on avoiding his big damage setups:

1) Gun blaze, combo

2) Corner throw

3) Impossible dust combo

4) CH FB

His damage from lows is *awful*, so preferentially block high and watch for the throw (that is, block low in neutral situations so you don't eat a FB, but if you're put into a high/low/throw guessing game, guard against the high/throw more than the low). It's better that you keep getting hit with 2K combos for almost nothing than 200 damage off of the impossible dust or throw. Also, do *not* throw out moves after blocking something unless you are *positive* that you will beat whatever OS does. He has advantage off of almost everything, so he can hit you with CH FB, no problem, and that leads to pain. Your best option is to keep blocking or jump away (1F jump if you can).

OS's FB hits low, so "blocking high/against throws" isn't the best mentality. It never really is, because sweeps/random low hitting moves like 2k or whatever are always faster than high hitting moves. Speaking of High hitting moves, you forgot 2HS RC >random combo. Fairly hard to see coming, and yes it hits high so that's supporting your point. However, you can't just eat little damage and knockdown all round

Granted, 2H is good for anti-air, but will robo's 5H always lose to OS's jH?

Yes, generally 5H will lose to j.H. You might get lucky if you catch him immediately after he leaves the ground right in front of you, but usually your 5H will whiff and he'll get a free j.H combo, possibly with CH. You could always FRC 5H, but you'd lose precious meter and sabotage your tension gain for a while.

OS's FB hits low, so "blocking high/against throws" isn't the best mentality. It never really is, because sweeps/random low hitting moves like 2k or whatever are always faster than high hitting moves.

I don't think you understand. Firstly, you shouldn't always stand; you should stand maybe 5-10% more of the time, depending on the opponent (although it's not necessary to do that if you are a good blocker, but let's face it, most of us aren't). Secondly, his FB doesn't really come into play in his mixups; since you can't buffer it from normals, it's more of an abare move. Generally, OS will either FB after some advantageous move or after a charge cancel; however, highs aren't really a threat in either of these situations, since you'll most likely be out of range, so you should be defaulting to crouching anyway.

Speaking of High hitting moves, you forgot 2HS RC >random combo. Fairly hard to see coming, and yes it hits high so that's supporting your point. However, you can't just eat little damage and knockdown all round

I didn't forget 2H + RC combos, since those generally do crap damage and require half meter and therefore aren't really worth fretting over. Regardless, the situation you describe (small combo + knockdown all round) is ridiculous, since that would only happen if you stood *every time*, which is clearly a poor idea. The idea is that you preferentially block high (5-10% more often than usual) and look out for throws when you're in a high/low/throw guessing game, i.e. you're in a situation in which you are forced to *guess* between those options (meaning you most likely cannot react in time). This doesn't occur every time you block something and its frequency depends on the person (again, the better your blocking ability, the rarer that situation is). Some characters have strong low options, but OS isn't one of them, so this strategy is generally a good one when implemented correctly.

I can't really think of any concrete situations right now, but it can apply any time you're being pressured and you say "oh shit what's he going to do now?".

come to think of it, i agree on the weak low game of order sol, getting 2D sets up robo for some delayed wake up, so messing up HOS' oki helps, since more then likely, he will charge cancel, and go for 6k or whatever. Kensou (chipp turned order sol player apparently in houston) has played me a bit, so yeah, i can back up what he said about HOS' pressure being a pain. alsooo, i got into an uppercut fight with Sol and won :)

Robo is up on me 5.5. I don't see why. Am I easy to Missie fuck or something? Yeah he can beat dolphin, but can he Anti-air J.HS at max range? Can he Anti-air J.2HS from the back? Maybe his biggest advantage is his massive HP/Defense. Honestly, I don't feel like Robo & May have any particular advantages over one another. well, your command throw does eat my tension... that's kinda frustrating. :eng101:Once I finish the Robo section on my character guide, I will definitely drop some answers around here. Until then,

Well Robo ky vs May is pretty even. May does lot of damage off of a loop, while robo ky can take some damage due to his defense. Robo ky can safely matt, and IB may combos arent to tough, though may has great cross ups sometimes. Robo ky can J.p/j.HS i believe all of May air normals even as anti air (back jump if may doing a j.2HS fall). *on side note I have been able to j.p a vertical dolphin or 2, if not it will trade. If may eats a CH on knee rocket from close to the ground, she is loosing a lot of health (if u land it while she doing dolphin rush.) Probaly just look at the vids of my robo vs solaris in the BR tourney, I believe his May is as good as urs, not to be insulting or anything.

vs potemkin is seriously the most turtely match up ever. after keeping them from jumping into knee missle death, the fight just becomes reals slow and well not really boring, since im busy making sure not to get slide headed... got two time over rounds against the two guys who played him (2 matches >.>) and yeah..slow and steady wins the race.

so, how viable do you guys think using 6P in Sol's block strings that involve gunflame. For the most part, the only thing i can think of that could screw that up is frc bandit bringer(tho delayed 2nd/3rd 6p probably could counter that) or grand viper. From my Sol experience, guard string gunflame frc ends with him running up to continue the string or the afformentioned bandit moves. Im gonna try to implement it more, so i hope it works as well as i well, hope.

so, how viable do you guys think using 6P in Sol's block strings that involve gunflame. For the most part, the only thing i can think of that could screw that up is frc bandit bringer(tho delayed 2nd/3rd 6p probably could counter that) or grand viper.

From my Sol experience, guard string gunflame frc ends with him running up to continue the string or the afformentioned bandit moves. Im gonna try to implement it more, so i hope it works as well as i well, hope.

can sol 2D under 6p?

and if 2D gets a CH -> then side winder combo ><

well, at least the gunflame "shouldnt" hit, since the 6P should cancel it out (so you wouldnt get popped up even higher). Id have done some testing, but i dont have my ps2 for the time being.

Yeah, 6p is almost always a bad idea in the Sol matchup. Sol can 2D it, 2S, 2K, which when CH will lead to CH Sidewinder combos as Zaido said. Robo Ky's 6P is also a horrible anti air compared to most 6Ps, and the recovery is so long that a decent Sol can IAD j.HS>Grand Viper or other random Sidewinder Combos. Also, Instant Blocking everything on reaction is not always the best idea, as sometimes it will allow Sol to tick Wild Throw faster because you recover faster from instant blocking. Be prepared to instant block his normal pokes (2p, 2k) and follow up with a DP if you can get it off fast enough. The timing is very strict, as in only like 6 or so frames, but it's the way I get out of gunflame pressure strings. If youre not confident about the DP motion in a matter of frames after an instant block, 5hs or 5hs frc should both also work.

well, you have to admit, 6p does beat out bandit revolver and wild stamp well...its super risky for bandit bringer, but seriously, all you have to do is ib BB and reversal timing uppercut, since you get a 4 frame advantage, and a lvl 2 srk comes out in 3 frames. really, fighting sol is pretty easy, since well a lot of sol players take big risks just to get in. Capitalizing on that random hit is nasty though, even on robo a ch leads to yknow, half life gone. what always happens to me is, lol, at the beginning of the match, ill IB his f.S, and then ill backdash...and the Sol player would banditbringer and well..it connects and there goes my life. Backdashing is fun, but stuff like that depresses me lol.