Sign in to follow this  
Dr. Stormlocke

[GGAC] Robo-Ky Matchups!

ok i gotta lil bit of data on playing order sols...

i think robo wins this fight if both players are even..

when match first starts hitting S is a good opener.

if u fighting an aggresive order sol....place mats and just block and u get to build meter at the same time...

if you know after he does the charge cancel he attacks again you can do the horsie and totally stop any more attacks on his end.

since order sol has a low jump doing cr HS is too risky....considering if u do hit him he might hit u as well and therefore he gets the counter hit and you slide into a corner. time it right.

after order sol rockit not sure what all you can do but 6p you can do if you block it so he dont continue pressuring.

i found out you can jump more on order sol than other characters cause of order sol anti air. but at the same time watch out for the RANDOM UPPERCUTS. what i use mostly when i jump on order sol is jump S. in this matchup i find it to work a lil better than jump HS.

Tiger kneeing........cant talk about gotta master that art....but from watch vids it seems effective. jump canceling P is golden in this match...i usually JC P into S and faultless defense flicker just in case hes gonna do a random uppercut when im landing or something.

all in all this should be an easy match up for robo ky....just play it smart and safe cause if u dont happen to get hit it could be like 40 percent health....

You shouldnt jump in on him, not cause of uppercut, but of 5HS (welcome to the combo if its CH).

Not sure how effective 6p is after rocket, though it will stop his pressure, but not Fanfir, and if you FD his Rock it, the host player should know he has to come closer to attack rather then throw out say f.S.

Fafnir beats horsie, so watch out if you going to do it after he Charge cancels. (I wouldnt recommend).

The match is 5.5 in HOS favor IMO (cause of robo's def stat)

i mostly mean if he is on the ground.....when i go to jump and if hos jumps same time it seems his Punch beats out mine (i guess cause hos punch is faster and can just jump and spam or something) when i JC the punch if i dont do it too often hos might whiff the 5hs and then i JC the punch and jump again and land with Slash... hey doom....what is the hos move called fanfir????

ok so the other day i faced an aba player....he is fairly knowledgable on the game and knows a few combos with aba....anyways i was using robo ky and i was getting owned...i mean aba had so much proiority i couldnt even attack without my moves getting beat out....i mean he would spam random shyt and it would win ( i was getting really pissed off)..any strats/tips

1. Save all tension for knockdowns (shouldnt really frc throw even though i do it time to time).Biggest thing is to learn to instant block her shyt. Dead angle is your best friend in this match. Also backdash throw is quiet effective some times. 2. FD when you jump, danzai will pwn you if you dont. though her AA is good against robo unless you time ur air dashes or do them low to ground. (lvl 3 missle works). 3. f.S/6P will beat out all her pokes if she is running to you and counterhit baiting. This will usually cause knockdown since aba is always throwing something out. 4. problem with number 3 is f.S can be beating by a iad j.hs from aba, and 6P is well not so handy as anti air (least from my experience). 5. Like the thank rabbicake for telling me this one. If you see or know aba is gonna do a j.HS or iad J.HS................jump up and air throw. Aba j.hs isnt active for (well i forgot the amount of frames but anyone can air throw hero before hand). This info really helped me out. Personally i dont think the match up is that bad damn close even in my book.

everytime i get one match up down where i feel comfortable fighting against that opponent another one (usually more annoying) comes. Venom...that fucker!!!! i have no strategy against him.....only thing i can do is random uppercut and hope i hit....when he is on me its like....damn...anyways...im tryin to come up with something cause i know it has to be a hard matchup for roboky...what i have analyzed so far is when he goes to do his Cr D if u white guard it u can be at even frames with him afterwards.....but im not sure of it because if he goes into stinger aim or carcass raid not sure if u can attack after it. also im not sure if you white guard his stinger aim or carcass raid can u be at even or get frame advantage enough to counter attack him....

So I'm wondering why the recent translations for Robo-Ky list one of his bad matchups as Sol, while here it says it's 50-50. I used to hate the matchup, but I sorta feel like it's kinda even now. you can delay wakeup on Sol's best oki, FRC gunflame. only problem is Sol's j.HS as a jumpin and 5k when RK is falling. Overall I think it's kinda even. Also what makes the Zappa matchup so bad?

Sol badguy jumping HS is good and all but u can just uppercut or use 5p or 5 HS depending on how close in he is to you....yeah sol's 5k is really good but you should be flickering FD anyways right? i just learned the hard way not to do rockets when u get a knockdown on sol cause he can super ur ass. also the move with sol when he bounce off the wall and comes back with a kick u can just 6p it. I hate solbadguy.....not the character but how people play him very randomly...so i just play it safe when im playing him and usually i win cause the other player did a random uppercut or doing that one move that makes him slide across the ground and knocks you up. easy match up IMO.

Sol badguy jumping HS is good and all but u can just uppercut or use 5p or 5 HS depending on how close in he is to you....

No. Sol's j.H has a very high hitbox that will almost always dodge both 5H and 5P, both of which hit fine in front of Robo but don't hit above him very well. DP will work, but its not a safe option a lot of the time since j.H can recover in time for Sol to FD the DP and destroy you.

yeah sol's 5k is really good but you should be flickering FD anyways right?

You shouldn't be jumping in at Sol at all... unless you're covered by a low TK air missile. Jumping in with FD gets you *nothing*; at worst you just got air-thrown and at best you lost the initiative.

i just learned the hard way not to do rockets when u get a knockdown on sol cause he can super ur ass.

Bazooka is usually fine when Sol has less than 50% tension, but 5P should be your go-to move when he does.

also the move with sol when he bounce off the wall and comes back with a kick u can just 6p it.

Riot stomp is an issue on okizime when Sol is laying close to a wall because it will avoid bazooka and CH you. In this case, just use 5P.

I hate solbadguy.....not the character but how people play him very randomly...so i just play it safe when im playing him and usually i win cause the other player did a random uppercut or doing that one move that makes him slide across the ground and knocks you up. easy match up IMO.

Pretty much every character has an easy time against DP-happy, random Sols.

Sol causes some problems for Robo for the following reasons:

1) Hard to use air-missiles, since Sol can run up and 5K or DP you except when you use missiles from across the screen and as low as possible.

2) Robo is easy to loop with sidewinder.

3) Sol's hitbox sometimes causes problems with 5H FRC in combos.j

4) Sol's air-to-ground is much stronger than Robo's ground-to-air, which forces Robo to use risky anti-airs like air-throw, 2H, 5P, DP, etc.

In order to win this match...

1) When Sol goes in the air, you go in the air. Your best bet to beat his air moves is to use air-missile, j.H, and j.P. Sol can't avoid air-missile when he's in the air too, so this is the best time to use it. Also, if you anticipate an air attack, do a run-jump j.P; if it whiffs, you can always IAD back (this is probably Robo's safest anti-air option against most characters, including Sol).

2) Limit how often you jump in at Sol. When you *do* jump in, the best way to avoid getting hit with 5K is to jump in at close range with an early j.S, j.H.

3) You'll be blocking a whole lot, so IB, IB, IB.

4) Practice your timing for 5P on wakeup. This will be your best friend against reversal super or DP.

5) Limit your use of 5H FRC after a blocked 2S, since it will *always* lose to Sol's 2D.

everytime i get one match up down where i feel comfortable fighting against that opponent another one (usually more annoying) comes. Venom...that fucker!!!! i have no strategy against him.....only thing i can do is random uppercut and hope i hit....when he is on me its like....damn...anyways...im tryin to come up with something cause i know it has to be a hard matchup for roboky...what i have analyzed so far is when he goes to do his Cr D if u white guard it u can be at even frames with him afterwards.....but im not sure of it because if he goes into stinger aim or carcass raid not sure if u can attack after it. also im not sure if you white guard his stinger aim or carcass raid can u be at even or get frame advantage enough to counter attack him....

I don't play this matchup all that often, but here's what I know:

1) You need tension *bad* in this matchup, but you also want to remain on the offensive as much as possible. Therefore, IB when you are being pressured, but don't turtle.

2) Use lvl 3 air-missile as much as possible in order to negate Venom's balls.

3) Random lvl 3 horsie is very effective in this match. Attempt to catch Venom summoning a ball, low poking, or back-dashing.

4) Don't forget that 6P is a projectile and will cancel out Venom's balls.

Thanks for the input Chojin & Doom. I will be updating quite a few characters soon.

Also what makes the Zappa matchup so bad?

It's a couple of things. Not being able to use 5p reliably (he can crouch under it), and not being able to use missiles (ground dash). Zappa can also run under your Horsies.

And good luck doing anything when you've got a ghost on you.

I just try to IB and throw out 2s to knock down as often as I can, when it's safe. Robo's 2k will get hit by Zappa's Summon/SRK.

Bazooka is usually fine when Sol has less than 50% tension, but 5P should be your go-to move when he does.

50% tension or not, you should be using bazooka unless you don't have bar IMO. First of all, being scared of reversal supers should never stop you from using meaty attacks, because they just wont come out as long as you time it right. Second, RCing VV into combo is more damaging than whatever that wakeup super is, so just keep that in mind.

Riot stomp is an issue on okizime when Sol is laying close to a wall because it will avoid bazooka and CH you. In this case, just use 5P.

I don't think there are any sol's that try to reversal Riot Stomp, if anything be worried about VV or grand viper.

Also, the *best* way to beat a predicted jumpin j.HS from sol is jump, IB both hits (or just the second one) and airthrow.

and in terms of air-to-air, I usually do j.S just because the CH properties are pretty absurd. J.HS's is only useful if theyre in the corner in most cases.

50% tension or not, you should be using bazooka unless you don't have bar IMO. First of all, being scared of reversal supers should never stop you from using meaty attacks, because they just wont come out as long as you time it right. Second, RCing VV into combo is more damaging than whatever that wakeup super is, so just keep that in mind.

I don't have my PS2 handy, but I'm almost certain that reversal super will hit you out of bazooka from any useful range. The only safe option is a meaty 5P, which should avoid both super *and* VV.

I don't think there are any sol's that try to reversal Riot Stomp, if anything be worried about VV or grand viper.

They do and should use riot stomp because it *does* beat bazooka when Sol is in the corner.

Also, the *best* way to beat a predicted jumpin j.HS from sol is jump, IB both hits (or just the second one) and airthrow.

If one could do this 100% of the time, then it would be the best option. Since not all of us are super-human execution machines, j.P tends to be the better choice.

and in terms of air-to-air, I usually do j.S just because the CH properties are pretty absurd. J.HS's is only useful if theyre in the corner in most cases.

Yeah, j.S CH is fun times, but it's far too slow and has too few active frames to use in most anti-air situations. j.H fares a bit better since it's a frame faster, but your best bet is still an anticipatory j.P with it's retardedly long active frames (8).

I don't have my PS2 handy, but I'm almost certain that reversal super will hit you out of bazooka from any useful range. The only safe option is a meaty 5P, which should avoid both super *and* VV.

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Obviously the range of 5p is less than bazooka for oki, so what makes 5p safer than bazooka? The only way it's safer is because it recovers faster, but assuming you are timing a meaty 5p or meaty bazooka (such that it hits first frame of opponent get-up) than a reversal GV/VV/Super (anything with some kind of invuln on frame 1) will hit you regardless if youre doing 5p or bazooka.

Again, Riot stomp will ONLY work if they reversal it even in the corner, so as long as you time your wakeup stuff you shouldnt really need to worry too much.

If one could do this 100% of the time, then it would be the best option. Since not all of us are super-human execution machines, j.P tends to be the better choice.

Well, maybe I can say this just because I play against a good Sol player more than anything else, but you can definitely be able to predict to a degree when the opponent will jump in. We've all said it before, RK's anti airs are terrible. Assuming your opponent knows this and say they have as good a jump-in as Sol's j.HS, then you can be pretty sure they will try to whore it out because it's USUALLY safe. However, a quick eye with anticipatory jump as well as IBing will net an air throw.

Another good example of this: If you've played against Axl you've probably seen 2HS>6HS as a pretty common blockstring/combo. If you block both bits of 2HS, then your immediate thought should be to jump and IB the 6HS. Granted there are other variations of this blockstring (2HS>Green projectile thing) as long as you are LOOKING for the jump-in as one of your opponent's potential options, then forward jump>IB>air throw should be in your mind. The worst thing that could happen is you jump and your opponent didn't jump, in which case you're usually too far away for them to hit you, and if they are just flicker FD/air backdash/double jump to get safely away.

[ATTACH]279[/ATTACH] May

Matchup Statistics

Japanese Ranking: 5.5-4.5 in Robo's favor.

Openers:

All her HS (ch) she gets a free combo, 2HS are very farst and 5HS too, but not good range, caution with her j. HS is amazing retarded (when she is near to finish the attack is very dangerous)

D and [D] attack in reaction not wait

she dont have good antiairs sometimes S and 6P or soon vertical dolphin,

j. 2 HS if counter she get a combo or land combo , (you can try run and cross under if she try to make a crossup.)

J. RR (tk) the attak that she spin in the air, in tk and frc is hard to guard in reaction

(Not good priority).

2K >basic gatling > FB dolphin > lame loop (throw her)

Charged 6 HS is a overhead

OHK (command throw) she gets great combos form ther, caution with basic strategys to get comand trows, like 2p 66 OHK, or 5K 66 Ohk

know to diference when the dolphing wil hit you if it miss she will look for a OHK

Punishes: Go out of your way to block her 3k and then destroy her with a combo of your choosing.

If she dont FRC long vertical dolphin you will get a free combo

you can grab her when make the whale

you can counter all of her overdrives if you guard it.

Counters: 6p horizontal dolphins on reaction until May starts jumping off them via Force Break.

Anti-airing: Be careful with 2hs as her jumping angles will sometimes render this move unusable. Same goes with SRK, if she's knocked you down, she can double jump straight up to bait it and then punish you.

Zoning:

Their game plan:

Strategy: Refrain from using Robo's 2k, as Mays' 5k clearly stuffs it out. Also learn to block her 5k as you're waking up, as most May player's will use this as it's her generic okizeme. DON'T TRY TO THROW IT! FD, or IB~punish.

Char specific details:

I hope that it helps LoL

I'm not sure what you are saying here. Obviously the range of 5p is less than bazooka for oki, so what makes 5p safer than bazooka? The only way it's safer is because it recovers faster, but assuming you are timing a meaty 5p or meaty bazooka (such that it hits first frame of opponent get-up) than a reversal GV/VV/Super (anything with some kind of invuln on frame 1) will hit you regardless if youre doing 5p or bazooka.

So it seems that you don't understand why you'd use 5P. You time the 5P so that the last active frames of the move happen as Sol (or any opponent) wakes up. If Sol holds back, he will block the 5P. If he VVs, the 5P whiffs because he is invulnerable from frame 1. However, 5P has 3f of recovery and VV has 5f startup (7f for the S version). So, if you time 5P well enough and hold back during the move, you will block Sols DP. It's the same concept as a safe jump-in, which I assume you've heard about: 5P is an offensive option select that hits the opponent if he guards and allows you to block if the opponent does an invulnerable move.

This is pretty much a universal tactic, since every character has something like this (with varying degrees of usefulness).

Again, Riot stomp will ONLY work if they reversal it even in the corner, so as long as you time your wakeup stuff you shouldnt really need to worry too much.

I said that this only applied in the corner. There is no way that you can safely get a meaty, 5-hit lvl 3 bazooka in the corner since Sol can reversal riot stomp over the bazooka and you'll still be in recovery. So... 5P is still the safer option here.

Well, maybe I can say this just because I play against a good Sol player more than anything else, but you can definitely be able to predict to a degree when the opponent will jump in. We've all said it before, RK's anti airs are terrible. Assuming your opponent knows this and say they have as good a jump-in as Sol's j.HS, then you can be pretty sure they will try to whore it out because it's USUALLY safe. However, a quick eye with anticipatory jump as well as IBing will net an air throw.

I play against a good Sol too. Yes, you can predict when he will jump in. I still think that an anticipatory run-jump j.P is the better option since it's easier to execute and leads to higher damage than IB airthrow, plus it's just as safe. This is probably where we'll disagree, since it's a matter of playstyle.

Another good example of this: If you've played against Axl you've probably seen 2HS>6HS as a pretty common blockstring/combo. If you block both bits of 2HS, then your immediate thought should be to jump and IB the 6HS. Granted there are other variations of this blockstring (2HS>Green projectile thing) as long as you are LOOKING for the jump-in as one of your opponent's potential options, then forward jump>IB>air throw should be in your mind. The worst thing that could happen is you jump and your opponent didn't jump, in which case you're usually too far away for them to hit you, and if they are just flicker FD/air backdash/double jump to get safely away.

This is a perfectly fine way to deal with this particular block-string; however, you should be able to punish with a lot more than an airthrow. 6H is slow enough that you should be able to DP on reaction for CH + a gigantic combo. Airthrow would work fine too, but why not go for the big damage?

Yeah I see what you're saying now. Until now I was actually under the impression VV was active on frame 1, but looking at the frame data I see you're right. Indeed, a meaty 5p timed near the end of its 4 active frames will recover faster than basically any reversal an opponent will throw out. The only disagreement I still have is you say: "5-hit lvl 3 bazooka in the corner since Sol can reversal riot stomp over the bazooka and you'll still be in recovery. So... 5P is still the safer option here." But keep in mind reversal GV will escape missiles at all points on the screen, and when mashed out for the clean hit will lead to more damaging combos. CH reversal riot stomp in the corner won't actually lead to any followup Im pretty sure, so I guess I don't get the point of using it over GV anywhere.

Yeah I see what you're saying now. Until now I was actually under the impression VV was active on frame 1, but looking at the frame data I see you're right. Indeed, a meaty 5p timed near the end of its 4 active frames will recover faster than basically any reversal an opponent will throw out.

The only disagreement I still have is you say:

"5-hit lvl 3 bazooka in the corner since Sol can reversal riot stomp over the bazooka and you'll still be in recovery. So... 5P is still the safer option here."

But keep in mind reversal GV will escape missiles at all points on the screen, and when mashed out for the clean hit will lead to more damaging combos. CH reversal riot stomp in the corner won't actually lead to any followup Im pretty sure, so I guess I don't get the point of using it over GV anywhere.

Do note that wakeup bazooka is never safe against Sol as he can grand viper under it other than riot stamp. also 5p is not safe if sol has half tension gauge, he can execute tyrant rave if you use 5p too often.

Perhaps if possible, a meaty Bazooka from a distance if the situation arises, to lure out a Grand Viper and punish? Though perhaps not if he as the tension for a Tyrant Rave...

Do note that wakeup bazooka is never safe against Sol as he can grand viper under it other than riot stamp.

True, so maybe 5P is always the best option.

also 5p is not safe if sol has half tension gauge, he can execute tyrant rave if you use 5p too often.

False. Tyrant rave has 5f startup, so 5P works equally well against this.

yeah 5p is the best option for the sol matchup but im sure if you throw in a bazooka when he isnt expecting it then it would probably work......and sometimes a dust on wakeup works too...

You shouldn't be jumping in at Sol at all... unless you're covered by a low TK air missile. Jumping in with FD gets you *nothing*; at worst you just got air-thrown and at best you lost the initiative.

You shouldnt jump at all????? thats ridiculous!!!!! of course u shouldnt just do a jump half way across the screen trying to hit with a Slash but robo ky has alot of things. For instance you can instant air dash, u can double jump, u can JC your punch and land or dash forward or backwards etc....sols 5k is a damn good anti air but so is robo ky 2hs....so you are saying sol shouldnt jump because of 2hs??? its all about the hit boxes on the moves and mixing up ur jumps to the ones i mentioned earlier...because if you double jump he might whiff the 5k or if you IAD he might not react fast enough therefore letting you in.....but i do agree you shouldnt just go crazy tryin to jump in...but you can do it.

You shouldnt jump at all????? thats ridiculous!!!!! of course u shouldnt just do a jump half way across the screen trying to hit with a Slash but robo ky has alot of things. For instance you can instant air dash, u can double jump, u can JC your punch and land or dash forward or backwards etc....sols 5k is a damn good anti air but so is robo ky 2hs....so you are saying sol shouldnt jump because of 2hs??? its all about the hit boxes on the moves and mixing up ur jumps to the ones i mentioned earlier...because if you double jump he might whiff the 5k or if you IAD he might not react fast enough therefore letting you in.....but i do agree you shouldnt just go crazy tryin to jump in...but you can do it.

You can (and should) jump; however, you shouldn't jump in.

Watch japanese match vids and see how often Robo jumps in on Sol. Not very often, right? That's because it's much safer for Robo to get in on the ground or under cover of lvl 3 missiles. Jumping in at him is just *begging* to get sidewinder looped for half-life.

Sol's 5K is a much, *much* better AA than Robo's 2H, since it's completely safe, leads to TONS of damage, and can be used to get someone out of your face. Robo's 2H is really only used when you anticipate someone jumping in at a certain angle; when Sol jumps in with j.H, say, right above you, 2H will do *nothing*, so Sol can pretty much jump in at Robo all day long.

Also, if you double jump and Sol whiffs a 5K, it recovers in time for him to do it *again* when you come back down.

If your gameplan vs Sol requires you to jump in at him, then you need to rework it.

2HS doesnt compete in the same class as sol anti air as a whole, and that goes with basically the whole cast (from my experience of the whole cast that robo ky has the worst anti air options for ground to air). Its still possible to jump in on sol just like the rest of the cast, just its harder to do so. Mainly cause you have to low IAD.