Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

MisterBadguy

[CS1] Makoto vs. Lambda

236A~D(3) will cancel out Lambda's 214D, and Makoto can reaction punish a whiffed 5D with a DD. Sometimes when I whiff 5D, the opponent jumps in, and I try to stop them with 6D or 2D, but it comes out too late and the opponent gets in.

General advice would be to bait Lambda's DP. It's not that good, and Lambda is even more helpless defensively without it. Watch out for Lambda's 236C (you have to barrier block it in the air). If Lambda Act Parsers in, get ready to IB and punish, tech a throw, or jab her out of it.

Lambda's 236A is 38 frames but she can cancel into a throw or Astral at the 31st frame. 236B is 18-27 frames (distant dependant), and is safe on block. 236C has 30 frames of start-up. All are quite slow, so if you expect a Parser and can't IB, then go ahead and jab her out of it.

Not much to say due to my lack of experience in this, but avoid Asteroid Vision and do a lot of jump in + barrier.

Maybe try parrying her D's and doing the followup to dash in? Just speculating.

First person to say 3c gets garroted...

Well at least it goes under her 5D and sword rain DD ;)

Well at least it goes under her 5D and sword rain DD ;)

It does okay against 5d at max/mid range I guess, but it's just to easy to punish when it's being watched for. As far a 236236d, I'd rather just IB that for free meter and deal with the mix-up like normal. 3c's just too risky. Oh shiiii- *garrotes himself*

Also, Overheat, thanks for the defy. I just tested it and it looks like lvl2 even does the trick incase you screw the timing up on the drive. Pretty good stuff.

It does okay against 5d at max/mid range I guess, but it's just to easy to punish when it's being watched for. As far a 236236d, I'd rather just IB that for free meter and deal with the mix-up like normal. 3c's just too risky. Oh shiiii- *garrotes himself*

Yeah, i.m.o. Makoto's 3C is crap. Would be okay if she didn't do a double spin on the ground, makes it too slow and punishable.

AsteroidC has surprisingly good height. It will clear spikes cleanly as long as you don't do it too early or late. Ideally you clear opposite side. 3C is good if you can be unpredictable with it. Honestly, this isn't CT and this isn't Nu. Don't feel super rushed to get in, sometimes she'll come in for you. If she doesn't, well, MAGIC BALLS. Great for everything but 4D. Magic ball will stop spikes on contact point. Magic ball should be Makoto's go to for hard to approach play styles. L3 cue shots get you free armor breakers, so score an armor break and you get a free approach and/or combo.

214C has good height but from full screen you'll barely tip the start of Lambda's 236236D and bounce all the way back on top of the DD. 214C is great when used the instant you see 5D or any of Nu's ground move startup. As long as you are in neutral it's very easy to parry Lambda's 236236D by a simple 46 during the DD Pause course better to IB for meter. 3C'ing it has worked for me a few times but I have seen it get baited after the person learned of it or saw it coming. Lambda has the range advantage of course but once you on her it's easily to keep her trapped.

Hi! I have a problem with my friend's Lambda. He spams one string of moves and it really pisses everyone else off.

Mash 5C > 6C > 236C (catches in mid air from wall bounce) > j.C > j.2C > jc > j.C > j.2C > Grab or 214 D

This usually does about 4400 damage. He tore apart my Hakumen and Makoto, seeing as Act Parser: Cavalier is unblockable anti-air. I've had trouble approaching with both characters and well I'm not sure how to handle this with Makoto. They only need to pull this off twice to win accounting for any other random hits I may take in the set up. Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Also if it helps, I've picked up on their tendancy of backdashing to try again if I am out of range of Act Parser, and thats when they start the sword spam.

Mash 5C > 6C > 236C (catches in mid air from wall bounce) > j.C > j.2C > jc > j.C > j.2C > Grab or 214 D

Doesn't combo, unless you're in the air already. IB 5C and 6C, and punish 236C. It has 30 frames of start-up. You could use Makoto's 236236D if you wanted to.

This usually does about 4400 damage. He tore apart my Hakumen and Makoto, seeing as Act Parser: Cavalier is unblockable anti-air. Barrier block it in the air.I've had trouble approaching with both characters and well I'm not sure how to handle this with Makoto. They only need to pull this off twice to win accounting for any other random hits I may take in the set up. Any thoughts? I'd really appreciate any advice.

Also if it helps, I've picked up on their tendancy of backdashing to try again if I am out of range of Act Parser, and thats when they start the sword spam.I guess try empty jumps with Barrier? Or zone for a bit with 236A~D(3). Just watch out for Lambda's 4D. If it whiffs, it has 57 frames of recovery O.o

Be patient. The worst thing to do against Lambda is to senselessly rush in.

You can 3C under lambda's 5C And her swords, he shouldn't be able to do 236C after 6C unless you are in the air. Unblockable anti-airs can be blocked using barrier. Approaching is hard with makoto, especially against zoners so watch for any patterns he might do that you can take advantage of. 214C could be your friend if you just barrier block on the way down so he can't hit you out of anything. Just be careful. They can only back dash so long until they hit the corner.

Been playing against a really good Lambda, so here's some of what I've found out.

3C goes under 5D and 5C mash. It can also go under 2C, though the timing is kinda iffy. I've gone under it and then gotten hit by it when I tried to 3C again, so I dunno.

IB those parsers, or jab them out of its startup. Makoto's A jabs are really, really good for punish and pressure up close.

Bait wakeup gravity wells and punish. Lambda's GW is her best tool to get out of Makoto's close range pressure. If you make her waste the DP, then you can score another free combo and knockdown to put even more pressure up.

Be patient and IB 5C, 6C, swords, whatever you can to get frame advantage and meter. Far away she's got the advantage, but up close (and in the corner, optimally) Lambda should be very scared of Makoto.

If the Lambda doesn't catch on to using 214D a lot, then you can usually get away with 3C. Be careful, though, because Lambda's 214D is huge (lol) damage, CH or not. If the Lambda charges her 214D~C, you can use Mak's level 3 projectile.

If you have 50 Heat, and they're doing 214D or 214D~C, you can reaction BBS it.

I used 236B a bit too much here, and 214D spam got punished. My mistake.

Lambda 214D-C is a free BBS.

Also, j.2C is a fucking godsend in this matchup. Use it on Lambda wakeup after a combo and she can't do shit. It beats her 2C and Gravity Well, clashes with 6A, and is safe on block and even IB, I'm pretty sure, if you follow your j.2C with a 2A.

I used to hate j.2C and now I love it so much.

The Lamby I played last started backdashing my J2C on wakeup. Was I too slow? or just got too predictable?

What can I do against backdashers, 236A-D?

Use it in the corner, not midscreen. In the corner, the can't back dash away. Midscreen, you can use it, but you gotta be fast. Use it only once or twice midscreen and then start baiting backdashes.

When you're across the screen, parry randomly and cancel with jump back barrier. DON'T option select parry. If you ever successfully parry, wait until you see the second D sword go past you and take your free level 3 counter punish (RC in to combo of choice for insane damage). Works on 5D and 6D, don't do the counter against j.2D swords or she'll land, block, and punish. I think this is a near 100% safe option. From here you just have to know your opponent. If they start doing one sword, start countering immediately. If they cancel to 236x they'll likely get staggered by the parry. Sickle and sword wave you can counter on reaction to the startup. The only real punish I've found for waiting after the parry activates is 5D xx 236236D.

Also 5DD is punishable by BBS on instant block. If she cancels in to 236B/C you may trade, though, so only do it in an advantageous situation.

I feel like this is a borderline awful match for Lambda, like Bang. Makoto is extremely quick, evades swords really well, and once she gets in can be impossible to get off. Throw in a free full screen punish for many of her moves and...things do not look well for sword lady.

I find jumping 2c pretty good to get in on Lambda. I try to avoid approaching her on the ground unless she is jumping because she can outrange pretty much anything I try. Lambda seems to have trouble answering that big air tail. I super jump a lot and block in case they D, if they don't I'll airdash and try to ambiguous crossup with that move.

I don't think j.2c it is safe on instant block, I have been thrown a few times before I could jab. Might just be doing the jab too late.

I like ground 3c too but I usually fake it into jabs against Lambda because it's harder to punish.

I find jumping 2c pretty good to get in on Lambda. I try to avoid approaching her on the ground unless she is jumping because she can outrange pretty much anything I try. Lambda seems to have trouble answering that big air tail. I super jump a lot and block in case they D, if they don't I'll airdash and try to ambiguous crossup with that move.

I don't think j.2c it is safe on instant block, I have been thrown a few times before I could jab. Might just be doing the jab too late.

I like ground 3c too but I usually fake it into jabs against Lambda because it's harder to punish.

Yeah, lambda doesn't have any answer to J.2C. What's interesting is that you can jump cancel J.2C into J.2C to catch punish attempts. Once you tag them with that a few times, they'll be more wary about trying to counter the initial J.2C. It's def not safe on IB, i've been 720d by Tager after it. Then I learned to jump cancel when it's blocked.

3C is a safe get in move when lambda's in the air.

214C>Barrier guard is a safe way to get in too.

This is one of the few matchups i feel is in Mak's favor.

this match-up got a lot harder imo. Lambda's dp was removed so her defensive options are pretty much gone without heat, but her offense got buffed tremendously. Plus, Makoto's 214C just plain sucks now, the trajectory is weird and you have to do a jA before you can barrier guard. So it's REALLY hard to stop Lambda's momentum from the beginning of the match.

However, once you get close it's pretty much GG as lambda has no defense. Patience is more important than ever, you absolutely HAVE to wait for that one opening to win and it can be really frustrating.