Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4r5

MD / NoVA Thread: High Precision Fighting

So final round is in march, so I'll think about that one.

Fausting is a no go though

So Magfest...

Will anyone here be there for the whole weekend or just a select number of days?

Transportation? I can get there by Metro

Money? Besides admission, how much money would I need to bring for food, drink, etc

Setups? Who will be bringing them

@Sheraz

MD troll game too strong.

So Magfest...

Will anyone here be there for the whole weekend or just a select number of days?

Probably only a day for me. You can usually do everything you'd want to do at Magfest within a day anyways.

So I'm going to borrow from an old LoL video I stumbled upon about playstyles. It takes a lot of thoughts that I've had and assembles them into a nice triangle diagram.

Passive
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
PassiveAggro PassiveBaitor
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
/ \
Aggro----AggroBaitor----Baitor
[/code]

Aggressive -> Passive -> Baiting -> Aggressive

PassiveBaiting -> PassiveAggressive -> AggressiveBaiting -> PassiveBaiting

Novice players tend to play the primary styles. They go all in on a stance and get hard countered by the opposing stance.

Next level are the mixed styles, smarter players use these. They're smarter cause they use all the primary styles well enough to combine them. (duh) The mixed styles are harder to read than the pure styles and aren't hard countered.

Finally, you got the good player that combines all six styles and calls upon them to counter their opponent's style as needed.

Ok, so now, styles are something that you don't want to own. You wanna be like Bruce Lee (be like watah) not held down by any style or paradigm. You want to have all the tools and use them as needed for the situation.

Note I said situation, not player. Players don't gotta stick to a single style, that's obvious right? But good players will mask their current stance as another stance.

Sometimes I might comment how a player doesn't mix it up. Now I'm not saying he/she doesn't use mixups, or doesn't mixup enough. I'm saying he/she got a small toolbox; a short menu. All about the pasta, but got no side salad. Lopsided, unbalanced, got a million ways to blow me up, but can't take the time to see my baits.

Then the other side, Eli will often say that every round against me is different. Dunno if I'm a good player, but I'm pretty sure I'm a smart player. I am mixing my stances, and I am trying to counter my opponent's stance. Dunno how well I'm masking though.

SF players tend to have a good understanding and balance of the three primary styles, as the SF games are heavily grounded in it. DP beats Throw; Throw beats Block; Block beats DP. Old Steve H anyone? GG has this at it's foundation, but to truely be good at GG you have to start mixing and masking your stances. Awaken Steve H?

Not gonna try any GG examples, just food for thought. When trying to learn to read your opponent, it's much easier to simplify the problem down to the three primaries. And what some of us aren't doing or are having trouble doing is reading.

So anyways, did unsatisfactory at NEC. My problems as always are focus, concentration, and motivation. Dunno what you all's problems are (actually I probably do) but our lack of player diversity is hurting me/us. We should keep ourselves open to new players, but that's not dependable. What [b]we can[/b] do is pickup some side characters. Going hard on a main character was fine when the scene was a lot more active and we had multiple scenes (playstyles and attitudes) converging every month at C3. Remember when DMV, alone, had multiple scenes? Good times. Playing side chars will force a different mode of thinking; keep the mind fresh and flexible. And fighting other chars will be fun and interesting and help my motivation.

Maybe I will practice. I found some meterless recoin combos off Johnny's shitty Low MF that sends people flying in the wrong direction. Gonna try to work some 1-hits in to them.

Also, I'm thinking just keep our tournaments on PS3, why change now. But I'm going to be practicing on 360, since right now I need atleast training mode to be fun for me.

Xrd, please.

I'm willing to bet there's at least 2 more characters coming. I'd guess there's another 2 playable characters with 1, maybe 2 unplayable 'boss' characters, ala Testament / Dizzy / Justice. I'd be way surprised if Dizzy and/or Johnny didn't make it. Testament / Baiken / Anji / Bridget / Jam a little surprising. ABA / Zappa / Roboky / Kliff / Justice / OS not surprising.

I can tell you picking up Potemkin, Axl, May, and Millia improved my game, while (I'd like to think) helping people around here get there feet wet against those characters. While you're not going to see the top shelf mixups and gameplay you can expect from someone who mains said character, there's a LOT to be said for being at least slightly familiar with a character's playstyle, moveset, and animations. Lack of character exp / visual recognition, not reaction time, is the #1 cause of 5D only works in America.

Matt Coma, you were supposed to destroy the Eddie not join them. Star Wars reference for Matt Coma huehue

Xrd pls.

I can tell you picking up Potemkin, Axl, May, and Millia improved my game, while (I'd like to think) helping people around here get there feet wet against those characters. While you're not going to see the top shelf mixups and gameplay you can expect from someone who mains said character, there's a LOT to be said for being at least slightly familiar with a character's playstyle, moveset, and animations. Lack of character exp / visual recognition, not reaction time, is the #1 cause of 5D only works in America.

Fighting games, like everything else, is a time investment. There are limited hours of a day someone can practice. I know I can put in a lot of practice and play time if I'm motivated enough to learn other characters but others rather use their limited time to focus on their mains and make them stronger. Xrd's release will change the match-up inexperience issue.

Matt Coma, you were supposed to destroy the Eddie not join them. Star Wars reference for Matt Coma huehue

Five years and going...

I got frustrated with Millia because of her inability to confirm max range normals into damage or knockdown and because of her reliance on mixup to win. Eddie's the same way but I picked him up to help Steve H. When Xrd, or if I feel like it, starting in +R, I'm going to learn May.

FINE

I'll learn robo sol

damn can I learn robo sol too?

Well since NEC is done I might as well start trying to get used to stick again for GG.

Not that I get to play you all that regularly but I dunno who I'd wanna learn. Narrowing it down to characters in Xrd...Chipp??

I'll just do what I usually do and learn other people's chars, so I can learn to beat you and teach you to beat me.

For dam sure not calling you Koozebaifjioawejfwf Foozbaibaj.

That is your fault. *Xiggarut stare*

Funny part is Dizz Dan was more of a pot Dan. AMIRITE?! :kitty: