Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Hecatom

King of Fighters XIII

Finally got enough time to sit down and fiddle with Shen in Training, since he seemed like the weakest member of my team. Goddamn, you can make combos on the fly, and they all work great. Certainly feel much better about him now. The only problem is landing the first blow, since my KoF fundamentals are still ridiculously weak. Like, I have no idea how to approach the opponent, especially when it's AI who doesn't have any semblance of logic and throws out DPs at perfect times. I seem to be especially free against Andy, since he has pretty much everything. Does the usual "Avoid fireballs, block DPs" tactic work fine against him, or should I know something else?

Yeah, Shen is such a great character. His combo options are just amazing. You can basically do anything from whatever haha.

From a low, remember you can link from cr.B into cr.C, or you can combo from cr.B into command grab(EX prefered as you can get follow ups mid screen).

Pretty much you have a lot of juggle options depending on the amount of meter you have. Got 50% drive, but no meter? No prob, you got options (qcb+A, qcf+A DC), got only one bar? that's good too! (qcf+KK), got 100% drive? you can easily hit confirm cr.b,cr.b,st.b drive cancel into HUGE damage. Such a strong character, and if you are good with hit confirms... you can even do far C and use it's auto guard for pokes during footsies, if it hits, HD into st.C,fwd+B HD combo.

Yeah, Shen is such a great character. His combo options are just amazing. You can basically do anything from whatever haha.

From a low, remember you can link from cr.B into cr.C, or you can combo from cr.B into command grab(EX prefered as you can get follow ups mid screen).

Pretty much you have a lot of juggle options depending on the amount of meter you have. Got 50% drive, but no meter? No prob, you got options (qcb+A, qcf+A DC), got only one bar? that's good too! (qcf+KK), got 100% drive? you can easily hit confirm cr.b,cr.b,st.b drive cancel into HUGE damage. Such a strong character, and if you are good with hit confirms... you can even do far C and use it's auto guard for pokes during footsies, if it hits, HD into st.C,fwd+B HD combo.

He has the damage, and I mean some pretty heavy damage two combos and a character can die everything you said works out except for the "footsies" part dont throw out shit just to get a hit confirm

1v1 Versus mode turned out to be much more useful than I expected. Unless I want to train my whole team at once, it's better to grab some character and try him out against all the different opponents to get used to his stuff, like performing combos from hit-confirms and simply memorizing the specials' inputs.

Trying out Goro, and he seems to be as good as I expected before buying the game. Why exactly would you pick Clark over him, anyways? It seems to me that he has everything that Clark has, and then some more.

I'm not sure, so don't quote me on this, but I believe:

- Daimon's throw range in general isn't as good as Clark's

- Clark is a faster/more mobile character than Daimon

- Clark has a bit more room to poke into specials, whereas Daimon can only poke into his throws from up close

- Clark has that armor on one of his throws

- Daimon's Neomax is, I believe, the only one that must be canceled into off of an HD combo (most high level players only Neomax off of an HD combo anyway, but it's still an option that Daimon doesn't have because of it)

That doesn't stop me from having fun using Daimon though `3`

Daimon's and Elizabeth's need to be canceled off an HD combo for them to work, as they are both counters.

Just a heads up to everyone, I'll do a small write-up of NESTS Kyo here in the near future. I had some doubts rising after a conversation with Mightfo a couple of weeks ago about him in XIII, but my doubts went out the door when I finally got my hands on him (PSN :v:).

Despite becoming just a little more unsafe, I think rekka Kyo is still really good this time around and I want to say he's at least A-tier in XIII (but I haven't considered who he'd be competing with in A-tier yet, so it's subject to change). When he's in AyaImmortal's hands, he's the best fucking character in the game, lol.

So yeah, I'll do the write-up of him, list a couple "good to knows" and all of that later on.

I have not been playing this game lately.

For several reasons. KOF has to get the treatment I'm trying to give BlazBlue (Hermit for two weeks in training mode like I've been seeing you guys do), but when you throw in the may local scene doesn't play it (MAHVEL BABEH!) and the netplay is bad, I have no incentive to want to play it.

Which is a shame - I think I'd benefit from having more people my own level to play, but dayum.

and the netplay is bad

If you play with people on the same coast, it's not bad at all. My view of KoF's netcode has changed after playing MBAACC, which has some of the most fucked up netcode I've seen (I still find it hilarious I can play with someone from Michigan or western Canada just fine, but everything goes to shit when I try to play someone less than two states away on MBAACC).

Which is a shame - I think I'd benefit from having more people my own level to play, but dayum.

You benefit from it by getting better at playing your pace. Going against people that are your level or lower helps you improve at applying practices in matches. It's better than going and playing someone who is really good, then flopping because you keep dropping combos that you haven't gotten good at hitconfirming in a match setting.

Shen Woo cr.B>cr.C>f+B makes me sad, I can't confirm it for the life of me.

Don't even bother, dude. I never go for that link because cl.C is fast enough on it's own (I only use cr.C for anti-air). The closest thing I use in matches is cr.B > cl.C for frame trap purposes.

Oh man so i FINALLY got this game and i spent so much time last night doing combos that my arm actually hurts......... meaning i shouldn't do anymore? BUT I WANNA

If you play with people on the same coast, it's not bad at all. My view of KoF's netcode has changed after playing MBAACC, which has some of the most fucked up netcode I've seen (I still find it hilarious I can play with someone from Michigan or western Canada just fine, but everything goes to shit when I try to play someone less than two states away on MBAACC).

It's not just the lag/netcode. The game lacks rooms, which is a big thing for netplay and for streaming this hype game, and I think it doesn't record who you actually played in recordings. The netplay is not feature complete - this gets in the way of me streaming - which makes it hard to develop and maintain a community across distance.

You benefit from it by getting better at playing your pace. Going against people that are your level or lower helps you improve at applying practices in matches. It's better than going and playing someone who is really good, then flopping because you keep dropping combos that you haven't gotten good at hitconfirming in a match setting.

Yeah.

GGs to kazukifafner. Yesterday was really one of those days for me in KoF, it was terrible. Hilarious that even when I got a little used to you and won our last two matches, I was still pissed off because I dropped a freaking BnB combo. :v:

I woke up this morning and facepalmed at how bad I was really playing yesterday (DP'ing like I'm Ken, not using hops for mixups and pressure, not disrespecting your jump-ins, list goes on). We definitely need to play again not just to redeem myself, but also because I need match experience against your whole team, lol. If there was anything good that came out of yesterday, it was trying K' again and actually managing to grasp his neutral game. Maybe I can actually learn him now!

We ran really close, but I did manage to pick up on some places you can improve. For one, you have the same exact problem with patience that I have, which I started fixing as of last week. The problem is that you start patient, but then your patience deteriorates over time. Meanwhile, I was exhibiting the opposite and started impatient, but became increasingly more patient. I don't know Duo Lon at all, but I definitely think you could be less predictable with him and use his zoning tools a little more. On one of my normal days, you don't want me near any of your zoning characters because I'll absolutely prioritize killing them before they get away. Duo Lon is absolutely no exception because I don't know how to deal with him and I hate trying to get in on him. I can't help you with Benimaru, I have no fucking idea what he does or where he should be and in fact, it wasn't until I fought you that I learned he has a command grab. You could space a little more with Daimon because after I started avoiding the command grabs with stance switching, he became kinda free. I should have been anti-airing all of your jump-ins with him, but I wasn't thinking about it at the time.

Your Kensou? Hmm... We actually could learn off of each other's Kensous because we both seem to have some kind of tech over each other. I don't know if you're unaware of his fireball pressure game or just don't use it, but it's a really good idea, especially if your opponent has no clue how to deal with it or likes to press buttons. There is obviously a way to beat it, of course, but that's no reason to neglect it's existence as a viable option to open your opponent up and maintain a mid to close range on them.

Other than that? I got nothing really. I was paying a little less attention in our matches because I was too busy being salty about my semi-mindless performance. :gonk:

I think you'll become an awesome player if you stick with it. Hopefully we'll both get up there some day.

I know about Kensou's fireball pressure, but I've just had it stuffed enough times that I'm kind of out of the habit of doing it, lol.

One thing I definitely need to do is actually practice combos so that I can actually get some decent damage off of hits `3`

hello peopll of this thread, i just got kof13 yesterday so ima start posting here cuz BOY do i need help. the people i like to play so far is athena, mai kula saiki and yuri. while my main team (for the time being) is mai athena kula (in that order). any advice to a newbie would greatly be appreciated

hello peopll of this thread, i just got kof13 yesterday so ima start posting here cuz BOY do i need help. the people i like to play so far is athena, mai kula saiki and yuri. while my main team (for the time being) is mai athena kula (in that order). any advice to a newbie would greatly be appreciated

Look way back in the thread, You might see some beginning info posted as I started posting.

We should (try to) play.

Also - tune into finestKO - watch closely how your characters are played.

Check out SRK guides, too.

Look way back in the thread, You might see some beginning info posted as I started posting.

We should (try to) play.

Also - tune into finestKO - watch closely how your characters are played.

Check out SRK guides, too.

thanks demons (or star what ever u prefer) as for us playing i have it for 360 and i rember u saying u have a ps3

Just a heads up to everyone, I'll do a small write-up of NESTS Kyo here in the near future. I had some doubts rising after a conversation with Mightfo a couple of weeks ago about him in XIII, but my doubts went out the door when I finally got my hands on him (PSN :v:).

Despite becoming just a little more unsafe, I think rekka Kyo is still really good this time around and I want to say he's at least A-tier in XIII (but I haven't considered who he'd be competing with in A-tier yet, so it's subject to change).

Yeah, like Sparkster's analysis pointed out, even if he doesnt have advantageous upkicks or neutral red kicks, he is extremely good at controlling space with stuff like sweep->rekka, and he is easy as piss for hit confirming, which helps to make him even scarier so that you can do lots of crossups and shit.

BTW, it seems like light rekka gets autoguard about 3 frames in, assuming standing LP is 3 frames. IIRC standing LK chain into forward LK leaves a gap where standing LP will trade, thus 3 frame gap, and light rekka can autoguard that gap. I might be slightly off but feel free to retest that and correct me.

Mai's neomax alone can be good reason for putting her second. Kula can do without meter so feel free to change your order for her. I dunno how dependent athena is on meter.

Random tips from 2am: Mai's light ryuenbu is really strong for anti airing people who jump in the space in front of you(not anti airing like mu 6a or something, but more like for when they hyperjump against your projectiles or whatever from certain ranges and you force them to fall on ryuenbu). Mai's Close light punch is really nice for pressure. 2lk 2lk 5lk 5hk is a great hd confirm for mai(mostly for the corner since her midscreen HD combo is awkward as hell). You can cancel her air command normal into dive to make it evenish on block, and that move is dirrrrty for crossups. Mai's J.lp has lots of active frames, so that can be quite useful.

kula's 2lk and 5lk are fucking great.

im not great or anything but if you want general help or help for mai(and to a lesser extent, kula) i'm around~

And like star demon said, these are great:

http://wiki.shoryuken.com/The_King_of_Fighters_XIII/Strategy Though some character specific stuff on the wiki has inaccuracies, sometimes due to arcade version differences. (it is wrong as of this post about how elizabeth's parries work, for example)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r75Lz1Drp8g

Dreamcancel wiki and dreamcancel character forums also have information.

thanks man this should help a lot since im lost xbl today ill have plenty of time to practice offline and based on what my friend told me, athena makes a good battery as she can do decent damage without needing a lot of meter however for now i put them in order from my less exp one to the one i kno most (had the demo before the game so i have some sence of what im doing with kula)

thanks demons (or star what ever u prefer) as for us playing i have it for 360 and i rember u saying u have a ps3

Star or SD is fine for short :)

xbl

Awwww. :(

ALso: Good mai advice. I'm trying to learn Vice first, but Mai seems to have enough to her normals tht I might want to work on her, too.

okay ive been doing A LOT of practicing with Saiki i have really grown fond of this character any tips anyone can give on him???