Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Digital Watches

Axl 501: Tech traps.

I feel like putting some advanced stuff up, so I guess starting with tech traps would be a good way to go:

This is something that Axl is amazing at in AC. In nearly any situation where the opponent can tech, you can make it a very dangerous thing to do. Since Axl has a lot of ways to do this, I'm going to go over basic situation types with a few examples, rather than trying to explain every setup I use.

No meter/Anti-Air: If the opponent has no meter, they should not be in the air, which of course means that they should not be teching. As an Axl player, it is your civic duty to teach them this. :eng101: The nice chunk of damage you gain from it should be thought of as an added bonus. Why? Obviously, if the opponent has no meter, they can't faultless. The cool part is, most of Axl's easiest and best combo-starters can reach all the way across the screen and have to be faultlessed in the air. In other words, when your opponent techs without meter, you have at least four tools which can almost certainly reach them, are unblockable, and start a combo.

These tools are 5P, 6K, 2S, and Kokuugeki. Using them is basically like playing an Anti-Air oki game. Throw out a "meaty" that will hit them as soon as they tech (The hitboxes of the 3 grounded pokes are so huge that the direction they tech shouldn't matter too much). Sometimes you can even get a back-hit that combos into another 5P if they don't tech it!

As an added note: I think Kokuugeki warrants a big mention as an AA move, since it reaches about as far as 6K, in a circle reaching approximately 270 degrees around Axl, and, again, is air unblockable. It also has an FRC and doesn't prorate. Good against anyone who wants to be in the air, especially I-No.

Most of these tools can also be used against opponents who do have meter, but aren't experienced to know that they need to faultless against Axl in that situation. Feel free to try this, as you're fairly safe even if they do FD it.

After combos: There are a lot of good ways to end a Bomber loop. You can do the standard Rensen, 2 followup for knockdown, or you can go for Raeisageki xx Rashousen if you can guaruntee untech time. But in my opinion, one of the most useful knockdowns you can get after a loop is an airthrow. I usually will set this up by looking like I'm trying to do one too many reps. After I know I can't get another rep down, I'll go for either 5P, 2S, or Rensen FRC, 5K, 2S, (S)JC, and sometimes even throw in a j.D or FB bomber, and then wait for the tech. Most of the time, if you throw out a hardslash (IE missing the throw, which will often happen if they tech neutral.), they'll be forced to block it, and it will give you enough frame advantage to continue into a blockstring, so it's fairly safe.

Really, the most practical application of this is during a combo that you're fairly certain won't actually lead into a B-loop. Oftentimes it'll be a midscreen combo that goes into FB bomber*n., airdash, j.D, Bomber. If you can get a loop after this, do that instead, but oftentimes it'll end up too high to follow up, which means that opponents who are overenthusiastic to escape will tech out as soon as possible. Usually, you will have time to land and SJ before they can tech, meaning you can often set up an airthrow.

I'd call airthrow the best setup Axl has for Okizeme. Like many other characters, his airthrow has a property which breaks the inherent "crossup guard" system that the game does on wakeup (therefore allowing meaty crossups), and also creates corner crossup opportunities (Which can be very ambiguous).

So... that's a good enough starting post for this I guess. If anyone has anything to add, feel free.

I got this one:

After a b-loop I use 3p that hits them otg so they can tech and them I do S© or go for a air throw.

I'd call airthrow the best setup Axl has for Okizeme. Like many other characters, his airthrow has a property which breaks the inherent "crossup guard" system that the game does on wakeup (therefore allowing meaty crossups), and also creates corner crossup opportunities (Which can be very ambiguous). Explain this with 1-2 paragraphs plz. i need more detials on these definitions u use.

I'd call airthrow the best setup Axl has for Okizeme. Like many other characters, his airthrow has a property which breaks the inherent "crossup guard" system that the game does on wakeup (therefore allowing meaty crossups), and also creates corner crossup opportunities (Which can be very ambiguous).

Explain this with 1-2 paragraphs plz. i need more detials on these definitions u use.

Basically, the game does not allow crossups on the first few frames after getting up from knockdown. As long as you are holding either backwards or forwards, when you first get up, you can block either way for a few frames (In fact, I use this waking up oftentimes to walk forward and throw without fear of being meatied.) I like to call this property "crossguard" for short.

Certain moves, like a lot of Airthrows (Axl's and Slayer's, as well as I'm sure others), and Badlands will make a character get up backward, which somehow gets rid of crossguard (allowing ambiguous meaty crossups on Oki), and also makes it possible to cross the opponent up in the corner.

So what would these corner cross ups look like? If its air grabbing on wake up, who's wake up are you talking about? Axl's? If so doesnt it take 3 frames to jump in the first place, unless the input is 7FD6hs within a 2 frame span, making the airgrab possible on the 2nd frame of wake up but then again how long does this cross guard take... idk i think im really confused about the whole issue increase to a page lol.

So what would these corner cross ups look like?

If its air grabbing on wake up, who's wake up are you talking about? Axl's? If so doesnt it take 3 frames to jump in the first place, unless the input is 7FD6hs within a 2 frame span, making the airgrab possible on the 2nd frame of wake up but then again how long does this cross guard take...

idk i think im really confused about the whole issue increase to a page lol.

Um... Yeah, the airthrow isn't on wakeup, it's a tech trap, meaning that you throw them when they tech out of a combo. The crossguard break happens when they're waking up after getting floored by an airthrow, and a corner crossup can happen if you airdash over them on Oki and do, for example, Kokuugeki or Axl Bomber. (You can mix up at the last second with j.H or j.D, which won't cross up)

Um... Yeah, the airthrow isn't on wakeup, it's a tech trap, meaning that you throw them when they tech out of a combo. The crossguard break happens when they're waking up after getting floored by an airthrow, and a corner crossup can happen if you airdash over them on Oki and do, for example, Kokuugeki or Axl Bomber. (You can mix up at the last second with j.H or j.D, which won't cross up)

So if im in the corner and i air grab someone, i can force them to block the cross over axl bomber that they usually wouldnt be used to blocking because of this crossupguard? I see what you mean about being able to do ambiguous cross ups.

So if im in the corner and i air grab someone, i can force them to block the cross over axl bomber that they usually wouldnt be used to blocking because of this crossupguard? I see what you mean about being able to do ambiguous cross ups.

Yeah. That and you now have a crossup option in the corner.

What do you think of (throw, 6k,2s,6k on most charas, except *tech* sjc airthrow) It has worked sucessfully well with me. How safe is it? Also I like to do 6k, 2s, 6k , let them tech and catch them with a reversal or with rashousen on landing. What do you think?

What do you think of (throw, 6k,2s,6k on most charas, except *tech* sjc airthrow) It has worked sucessfully well with me. How safe is it?

If you're going to do that, I would go for less pokes, like, just do 6K, 2S, SJC, airthrow. I'd also recommend doing as long a combo as possible before going for the tech trap, just because you'll end up with more damage. But if it's working for you, that's as safe as any airthrow attempt, so I don't see why you shouldn't use it. I'm just wondering how long the untech time before you get to where they are in the air is, since you should really not be trying to airthrow unless you can get in or close to airthrow position before they can tech.

Also I like to do 6k, 2s, 6k , let them tech and catch them with a reversal or with rashousen on landing. What do you think?

Nah, teching gives you your jump options back and any smart player knows that, so they'll probably just airdash or double jump. What you should do is follow them with AA pokes, not wait for them to land.

I I'm just wondering how long the untech time before you get to where they are in the air is, since you should really not be trying to airthrow unless you can get in or close to airthrow position before they can tech.

Thx for th advice DW.

As for the tech time, it works just like Axl's AA BnB combo. [AA 6k,2s, 6k (on certain charas) Sometimes I leave out the 2nd 6k) SJC Airthrow.

Instead of pressing up.forward for the HS, press up/back, and instead of hitting with the HS, you throw them. It takes slight practice, but i use it to throw off my oppenent sparingly.

Hey! I actually found a use for j.6P! Basically, when doing a combo into launch, if you can get very close to them in the air, either by IAD or by superjump, j.6P (1 hit) into FB-->Regular Bomber will connect more easily/consistently, which will sometimes net you a B-Loop, but will more often give you an opportunity to superjump and try to airthrow a nervous techer after the bomber.

It's not a tech trap I'm going to present, but more on "what to do once he has been air thrown in the corner", as it hasn't been discussed yet... I only have 3 options that use this "reverse wake up in the corner" thing : 1) Air-Throw-> land-> IAD-> Kokuugeki-> FRC-> combo -> The best opener for combo, so if you got 25% meter, try this ! -> You don't combo in the corner though, as you actually cross-up. So do a normal mid-screen air combo. ?> I wonder if in some cases you have time to pass under the character to take advantage of the corner ? 2) Air-Throw-> land-> backdash-> Raieisageki S (super jump installed)-> FRC (hit)-> Air dash toward the sliding opponent-> j.HS-> 5+P-> Air combo -> The easiest way to use this cross-up. -> You need 25% tension and it needs to be super jump installed if you want to combo behind, as the enemy is taken out of the corner... ?> I wonder if you do a blanc FRC instead, and do j.HS when landing, you get to go between the enemy and the corner... It would be better than IAD-> j.HS as you will be facing the right direction after the FRC. 3) Air-Throw-> land-> IABD-> Raieisageki S-> combo on sliding or FRC (hit)-> B-LOOP -> It's a fake cross-up. This time the enemy stays in the corner. The instant air back dash makes you get enough distance to make Axl not cross -> Thus, it's unnecessary to use 25% for the FRC as you can combo without. It's still safer though. ?> Can the IABD be timed so that you could actually use a 6632147+S for a cross-up ? (I'm too late each time I do that) Of course, the kokuugeki can be a fake cross-up too, if you time it a little late. That's all what I got... Anything else to add ? (except that only Kokuu is really necessary and useful... I remind that it's just to have some other choices, not to be too linear in your gameplay... Right DW ? ^^)

I agree completely, however I disagree with the last option, because the IAD makes it a bit slow and you run the risk of getting airthrown. Note that you can also cross up in the corner with bomber. And there are a lot more options than that. Air normals have a harder time crossing up in the corner, so your airdash can be ambiguous between Kokuu and a faster option like j.K. You should also remember that the opponent can still block, even though it's a crossup, so have stuff ready to mess them up if they do. Also remember that this situation allows for a TON of mixup in the Raei, as you can do Raei (FRC) throw, or Raei (FRC) Bomber, or Raei (FRC) land, Benten/2K, etc. Also make sure to have options should they block anything, like Raei (Blocked FRC) air backdash j.S. or Kokuu (FRC) j.K or land/throw.

Well since Beowulf bring this airthrow crossup thing, let me give what I usually do: Airthow, land, walk a bit backwards, Raie+S, Frc(if hits), Bomber/land, run a bit, S.c, Huuuuge damage B-Loop. Airthow, land, walk a bit backwards, Raie+S, Frc(if blocked), j.HS/land, 5K, and proceed to your favorite strings :). I'm going to try that with the SJI stuff and what came out of that.

Airthow, land, walk a bit backwards, Raie+S, Frc(if hits), Bomber/land, run a bit, S.c, Huuuuge damage B-Loop.

Note: This will not work on all characters.

More specifically:

Raie+S, Frc(if hits), Bomber

will not work against all characters.

Frc(if hits), Bomber/land, run a bit, S.c, Huuuuge damage B-Loop.

That's when you actually don't cross-up right ? As you need the enemy to be in the corner after the hit... So it doesn't really take account of the cross-up wake-up system. More like a fake cross-up, and considering how near you may be after your "little step backward", you need to delay the Raiei...

Still, I use that too, and it's a good fake cross-up ^^

What DW wrote is true. You'd better just do j.HS-> combo or land-> 3+P-> 2+S-> combo.

BTW, you don't wright in RED anymore, Sking ? ^^

Heh. Actually, if you're hitting them in the corner for a combo anyway, don't bother doing the FRC, IMO. Worst case scenario, you're at slight frame disadvantage, and they'll probably do something you can 2K under in time anyway.

That's when you actually don't cross-up right ? As you need the enemy to be in the corner after the hit... So it doesn't really take account of the cross-up wake-up system. More like a fake cross-up, and considering how near you may be after your "little step backward", you need to delay the Raiei...

Still, I use that too, and it's a good fake cross-up ^^

What DW wrote is true. You'd better just do j.HS-> combo or land-> 3+P-> 2+S-> combo.

Raei, bomber hasn't fail me yet, so if any one can make a list of which characters works it be apreciated.

I'm too lazy this days :psyduck:

Raei, bomber hasn't fail me yet, so if any one can make a list of which characters works it be apreciated.

Characters that slide low. I think Dizzy's one of them, lemme check real quick.

EDIT:

Characters for which Raei (Hit FRC) Bomber will not hit (tested in the corner)

AX, JO, AN, SL, MI, DI, AB, OS, KY, RO, BR.

That's almost half the cast. How has it never happened to you? :psyduck:

AX, JO, AN, SL, MI, DI, AB, OS, KY, RO, BR.

That's almost half the cast. How has it never happened to you? :psyduck:

MMMM Let's see:

Ve, Ma, Sol, Fa, Pot, Di and I did it on An.

Never tryied on: Ky, Ab, Br, Ro, Os, Ax.

Maybe that answer your question. :psyduck:

Silly random thought: Combo into 2D->Benten FRC. Since Benten S is techable if it hits an opponent in the air, it seems to me that you could nail someone with a 6K , 5P, or 2S shortly after the tech and get more damage out of the overall maneuver than a Rensen FRC combo. It's an idea, but I have no way of verifying that it'd work in an actual match. Thoughts?

Silly random thought: Combo into 2D->Benten FRC. Since Benten S is techable if it hits an opponent in the air, it seems to me that you could nail someone with a 6K , 5P, or 2S shortly after the tech and get more damage out of the overall maneuver than a Rensen FRC combo. It's an idea, but I have no way of verifying that it'd work in an actual match. Thoughts?

Couldn't they just... Block, though? Or, FD.