Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Henaki

Stupid Gimmicks: The Thread

Potemkin, like any character, has tons of dumb gimmicks! Let's post them! A gimmick, as per this thread, will be defined as an incredibly situational or strange tactic. :psyduck: 6HS, Hammerbreak, Slidehead - When people see 6HS, they will want to escape it, if they use a backdash.... generally they aren't expecting a slidehead a lot later. :psyduck: crossup j.K, double jump, crossup j.K again - Potemkin using crossups? :psyduck: P, pause, S - pretty much beats anything that they'd do after a tick besides do a reversal move. :psyduck: 6K, 6P - Do a 6K at about 2/3 screen away, usually slidehead screams "IAD AT ME", of course, this doesn't work out too well if they have a bad IAD. :psyduck: 6K Megafist FRC, blockstring - This crosses them up, which is good if you knockdown and are cornered, it's also fairly hard to do anything out of this.

I love shenanigans!

I have no idea why people get hit by any of these, really. Ever. A lot of these are very costly, but they usually work...for some reason...

6K, Slidehead - I don't have any idea why people don't react, but they don't. Seems to hit more often if they blocked the 6K.

Close mistimed meaty Slidehead (blocked) RC anything. Try doing 6K or Slidehead again - same comment, also use to continue the above if you're feeling gutsy.

Blocked 6K, 2H, late cancel to 2D - Nobody remembers you can cancel 2H into 2D, apparently. Also works with random other blockstrings into 2H.

PB (no FRC), small pause, whiff Hammerfall (no break) so that it recovers right as they get up, PB - I dunno, it works. Probably because it looks like you screwed up so much stuff, you have to be confused.

If you land a knockdown (Heat being the best one, of course) in the corner, you can jump towards, then right as they start to rise doublejump into the corner again, and come down with j.K which will hit as a crossup even though there's no reason for you to be able to get behind them.

PB FRC 2S, let them tech, Heat/Extend - does lots of damage and they can't tech the Extend since it was its own combo. This works on people mashing tech back, because a back tech off 2S doesn't go anywhere. You can time it so they are grabbed immediately as they tech.

Burst antics:

In or near corner, or as antiair: burst (either color), HPB as they tech - Burst at a stupid time, burst during their offense when you shouldn't, burst when they're near death, just make sure they aren't thinking when you do. This actually wins me a lot of matches even when I do it all the time. Do the HPB as if you were trying to combo it. (On a related note, if they like to tech bursts into an airdash, you should be doing this on reaction to get them to stop.)

Superjump or doublejump, whiff gold burst, PB on landing - lots of people try to punish a very high gold burst much too early. Remember you're invincible the whole way down...

Whiff gold burst, option select throw/Judge Gauntlet - the motion is 63214 (hold 4) H~D, which either gets you an immediate throw to beat their normal, or a Judge Gauntlet to beat their burst punish.

Also, remember Slidehead has stupid invincibility at the end also, so if they jump at you you can do an early Slidehead so that instead of their jumpin whiffing at the beginning, it whiffs at the end as you get up, and PB them on landing. If you get the timing down for this people tend to stop attacking Slideheads completely for a bit. Also works if you can predict them wanting to attack you on the ground.

Mike Z

I once comboed my friend with 6 or so slideheads from across the screen until he was pissed at it. Then I paused briefly enough for him to jump right into my HPB that was waiting for him. *EDIT It was only 6 slideheads. After 6 you can tech out.

cross-screen slideheads are fun, just to piss off the person you're playing against. Also, 5k, S, Megafist (x2) tends to get people to jump., or at least in my experience.

Scrub match only: "Hoover Buster" -- 2S, Pot buster I guess it punishes people for turtling? lol

oh yeah i landed this the other day it: after a safe air D, if they are really low on health, superjump and air D again for a fast overhead.

Out of throwing range but within PB range, do random normals and special cancel into PB -> whiff. Opponent: :?: *pause* Then throw out another PB. :yaaay: Also try 6K into slidehead on oki. :yaaay:

Gold burst, whiff PB is pro stuff guys. Got a tourney victory with that back in the day. a LONG time ago when I played pots. =) I really like a max range 5K, 2HS, FRC, PB (The 2HS whiffs while you buffer PB out of the FRC) This is veen more confusing when it's started from a cross-up J.HS. o,.0 OMG HAX WTF is goin on.