Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSlyMoogle

Anji Mito: Questions and Answers

No, it's not safe at all. Well of course if your opponent does guard it, it's okay and you can even continue offense from there. But my point is that it's by far the easiest fuujin followup to punish along with K followup. I mean it's startup is really slow, more than half a second, that's more than enough for any character in the game to jump up and CH you with a quick jP, jK or whatever. I almost never use this followup and still when I happen to do so, I get severely punished like 90% of the time for trying. Well sure its early FRC helps but you have to jump install fuujin before if you want to get anything useful from it (be it for an escape or keeping pressure).

i don't know why these things surprise everyone so much, the Fuujin guessing game has never really been good. Even in slash where regular rin was insanely strong, the guessing game was still a risk against a lot of characters. Simply put, you don't want fuujin to get blocked, it's bad, very very bad. You have to know how to play the guessing follow up game to cover yourself when it is blocked, but you should never be basing your offense around getting them to fall for the fuujin guessing game. The problem is, in the course of attempting Anji's usual risk/reward game, you will have to try and use fuujin, and inevitably, use the follow up guessing game. This is just one of the joys of playing anji in AC. Don't put too much thought into fuujin follow ups. Just know what the opponents character can do against them, and which ones they easily punish. Use this knowledge to play the guessing game to the best of your ability when you are forced too. Keep in mind also, doing nothing after fuujin is a perfectly legit option, especially against patient players who like to react and punish.

Yup, I agree that an Anji player who wants to play safe should avoid fuujin in blockstrings as much as possible (unless it's used in mixups, covered by a butterfly) and especially as a blockstring ender. There are safer options to end blockstrings/keep up pressure, for example : - ending with a 5H which leaves you at slight disadvantage but far enough from the opponent to remain safe (don't do this too much against slayer or HOS with at least 50% meter though, yum CH dot or HOS's stupid 2 frame super). - you can try to restart pressure with a butterfly thrown at right distance (no too close to not get punished, not too far either or your opponent will escape easily). - Limekey-style 5H > 6K FRC > dash > whatever fast move works wonder against some opponents who would try to counter this. - restarting pressure with P kai provided you're close enough. This can lead to an interesting guessing game by the way, as it has only a very slight frame advantage people will often try to backdash after blocking the move to dodge your pressure. You can stuff most backdashes by continuing your offense after blocked P kai with a dash slightly longer than usual followed by 5K. It will stuff most backdashes in the game, and you can air combo from 5K, 5S. Fuujin without followup is indeed very good against opponents that just wait for your followups. This can lead to stupid things like 5H > 236H > no followup, opponent waits > 5H > 236H which ups guard bar like crazy. But still plain fuujin blocked without followup is at huge frame disadvantage so it's highly risky if your opponent guesses right and reacts fast enough. I consider this as being like a 6th option of fuujin's mixup game which is not much safer than the others. Well actually in practice it is, but only because a few people do it and thus it is rarely expected...

Short dash K > S > S > air combo preferably SJI combo is always a good option but you have to consider the distance, if you're too far it will be hard to combo.

Sorry if this question is too vague but:

What are some pressure strings I should learn after using the Butterfly?

First of all, I'm assuming you are referring only to butterflies thrown after scoring a knockdown as butterfly by itself is usually a formula for trouble.

Anyways, it's all about experimentation. Here's what I use, but honestly just mess with it:

Rushing in after thrown Butterfly:

(Shitsu initial), 5S, 2S, (Shitsu followup), 5H, H-Fuujin [on hit/block] or Butterfly [on block]

(Shitsu initial), 3P, (Shitsu followup), 2S, 5H,....

(Shitsu initial), Respect (Cancel)-->2S/3P, 5H,....[awesome since respect looks a lot like 3P startup]

(Shitsu initial), Backwards throw, 236P (Butterfly), start over....

(Shitsu initial)[midway rush->6H], 6H hits, (Shitsu followup), Rush in, 5S, 3P/2S,....(I use this to punish intterupts with 6H GP, but only use this option very sparingly)

NOT rushing in after thrown Butterfly (used for keeping distance, though I don't know why you would...):

(Shitsu initial), 6S, (Shitsu followup), back to neutral

(Shitsu initial), 3Sc-->6S, (Shitsu followup), back to neutral. [using the 3S cancel is useful for the low GP frames, which make for good baiting on some characters (Order Sol Fafnir, Potemkin 2D, etc.]

(Shitsu initial), 3K, (Shitsu followup), back to neutral

This is a stupid question I know but when you say Shitsu followup do you mean do Shitsu again or...?

Also what is Respect? ?_?

Respect= Taunt.

When Shitsu hits it is initially the one hit projectile, then when it hits and transforms into the eagle is considered the followup.

NOT rushing in after thrown Butterfly (used for keeping distance, though I don't know why you would...):

(Shitsu initial), 6S, (Shitsu followup), back to neutral

Actually, Shitsu, 6S to stuff whatever they're trying to do in that instant after blocking the butterfly and then IADing for a combo/blockstring is amazingly good.

Actually, Shitsu, 6S to stuff whatever they're trying to do in that instant after blocking the butterfly and then IADing for a combo/blockstring is amazingly good.

Haven't tried that yet, mostly on account at sucking at IAD's. Seems good.

Haven't tried that yet, mostly on account at sucking at IAD's. Seems good.

Keep in mind on an attack like 6S that is jump cancel-able you can buffer the IAD motion, because it will act as the jump-cancel itself when you do so.

6S, IAD, J.H is a great mixup. You have retarded options, especially in the corner. After the J.H you can do any of the following for high low mixup.

Delayed Orb.

Land 2S

Land P stomp (land into overhead screws with people, even if blocked, you are even at worst)

Land Orb (shenanigans)

Land Tick throw

Even if they block you'll get a pressure string out of the deal, and pretty much no one has reliable option out of it if you time the 6S and the IAD properly. Obviously there is room for IB into DP or something risky of that nature, but this string really is awesome and it's worth your time to learn. You'd be amazed how hard it is to block a high low 50 50 in the corner, with shitsu cover.

Agreed. This is one big "Sit the fuck down" technique. Usually after a few of these the opponent will stop trying to do anything after a blocked butterfly. Unfortunately it's not a lot of damage, and a good opponent knows not to move in that situation and will wait after butterflies to see if you do 6S or if you run in. During your run in they can input something before the butterfly followup. This is where FD braking comes in all smooth and handy like to bait for get out of butterfly options. You can get a lot of damage from this mindgame and luckily most all anji combos end in a nice knockdown. Hooray! After you build this mind game then you can have a lot of the fun times with stuff like 3P and respect cancels.

I suggest you guys watch these:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4YPZ6NmXRcs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjSOMn1AH1Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34lBCvsvmPQ

Limekey has some amazing butterfly setups. A lot of IAD stuff and sj stuff using jd to stop momentum, and falling slash or landing then throwing a low. Limekey is so pro.

Alright, so I've seen this a lot and can't figure out how to make it work. Superjump combo after On I understand, but at the end of the combo (while still in midair), they manage to get an additional jump for a continuation combo out of nowhere. How?! They Superjumped! Doesn't that naturally imply no double jump? It's hurting my brain and I would like answers. Halp.

Alright, so I've seen this a lot and can't figure out how to make it work.

Superjump combo after On I understand, but at the end of the combo (while still in midair), they manage to get an additional jump for a continuation combo out of nowhere.

How?! They Superjumped! Doesn't that naturally imply no double jump?

It's hurting my brain and I would like answers. Halp.

It's called a jump install. Read the Guides section.

It's called a jump install. Read the Guides section.

Alright, so based on what I read, the general formula should look something like this:

214P, 5S(hold 8 or 9), 6S, SJ, jS, jP, jS, j.c., jS, jP, jS, jD

Is it a hold or a press?

Alright, so based on what I read, the general formula should look something like this:

214P, 5S(hold 8 or 9), 6S, SJ, jS, jP, jS, j.c., jS, jP, jS, jD

Is it a hold or a press?

It's a press. Press it at the same time you press Slash. By the way it's just 5S, 5S in ac because 5s gatlings directly into 6s and not back into itself, so the only option it gives you after is 6s, which automatically comes out. Pressing 6s during the combo would just make things harder for you.

It's a press. Press it at the same time you press Slash. By the way it's just 5S, 5S in ac because 5s gatlings directly into 6s and not back into itself, so the only option it gives you after is 6s, which automatically comes out. Pressing 6s during the combo would just make things harder for you.

Apparently I've been doing it the hard way for 2 years. Whoops.

Sup Anji players, I'm snowed in and bored so I'm inexplicably on your forum. Hooray internets. One simple, yet effective followup to shitsu that I didn't see listed was simply runup, 2P>2K>further mixup. Zidane uses this one quite a bit. It's especially good for people that reflexively burst once they block a butterfly, as the string is burst safe. If they block it, then all the better; the +6 from the 2K combined with the butterfly blockstun assures you will be able to do basically whatever you want while they're forced to stare at it, whether that's stomp shenanigans, IAD j.D which-way stuff, or 3S cancel guard crank.

Sup Anji players, I'm snowed in and bored so I'm inexplicably on your forum. Hooray internets.

One simple, yet effective followup to shitsu that I didn't see listed was simply runup, 2P>2K>further mixup. Zidane uses this one quite a bit. It's especially good for people that reflexively burst once they block a butterfly, as the string is burst safe. If they block it, then all the better; the +6 from the 2K combined with the butterfly blockstun assures you will be able to do basically whatever you want while they're forced to stare at it, whether that's stomp shenanigans, IAD j.D which-way stuff, or 3S cancel guard crank.

My guess is it's probably not noted just because it's the default string to start with. Easiest handle and build next level mixups with. I agree however that it gets overlooked, especially on it's safety. Slash veterans probably forgot about it because in that game there were far better options because of the various guard gauge jacking and re-butterfly strings.

I miss gear already, sigh.

oo few new people playing Anji (cries tears of joy).

Dude I thought you switched over to Potemkin.

Why here?

------------------------------------

This may sound silly but does either 2P or 2K gatling into 3P?

How about 2S into 3P?

None of them Gatlings into 3P.But 2P recovers fast enough to make it look like a gatling.The only thing that would go smoothly into 3P is 5K.