Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Henaki

Nominate people for awards here:

that's not good enough. he deserves an award for both gg and bb.

in that case, i'm sure a mod with a better handle on that (than me) will consider your nomination.

i'll give one to ryokoalways for moonspeak, though. shoulda remembered that, myself.

Someone mentioned strong players as high placement in majors. I'd give them out to top 8 at Seasons Beatings (biggest US BBCS tourney so far) top 8 at SCR, and top 8 of whatever EC major has happened.

IF they are going to do an award for this, imo, they should do "top players" and only give them to those that placed Top 3 at the Majors. "Strong players" and giving them to Top 8 throughout all those tournaments just seems like too many and makes the award less prestigious or however you want to look at it.

Or if they really want to expand that, they can do top players and strong players as separate awards. But I think it should be simple and that they don't need to go overboard with awards.

Well I say top 8 just because there's lots of overlap. Top 2 at SB was Zidane and LK who were probably top 2 at w/e EC major there was. I dunno if Mike Z made top 8 at SCR but he was top 8 at SB as well.

Maybe just a good idea to have 2 per character. Otherwise the "top players" are gonna be all Bangs and Litchis lol. Also it should be people who are great, but also post a lot. I mean what's the point of giving an award to someone who is really good but never posts anything useful.

How about I'm using "Strong Player" as a justification for people that would know what the hell they are talking about, and not a reason to just randomly give them an award, which was pretty much the ENTIRE REASON of implementing the award system in the first place. Not a jerkoff prize but a "hey stop telling this dude hes terrible at fighting games and has no idea what he's talking about and listen up" or "Pm this guy if you have a random question about your character" or "hey this person's opionin should be weighted more heavily because he places top 8 a whole fucking lot".

For example I have posted numerous times shooting down terrible mindsets and posted random GOOD information in the Tager forums, despite this I think Shine is a better Tager player than myself and if he talks about something related to Tager, someone should listen to him because he knows more about the character than me despite the fact that he rarely dispenses advice. I nominated Shervin because I was genuinely impressed with his level of play at the one tournament I saw him at and I believe he lost to an extremely strong player and myself in the most random mirror match in the game, and felt that hey, if this person opens his mouth on dustloop, he probably has far more of a clue than most.

I'm going entirely by standards that justify respect for that person's information providing background, not "OH GOD THIS GUY IS COOL."

Besides, is Jourdal the best Jin player in America? He got an award for providing information that has less to do with strategy. What if he posts about strategy that's inferior to another player and they didn't get an award because they don't place top 2? Doesn't that seem kind of weird?

I want to help end misinformation. Perhaps there should be a seperate "Community Information" award and a "Guy Who Knows What Hes Talking About" award for that matter.

Well, personally I think it should never be an issue.

If you know what you're doing, and good at it, then you should place very well in tournaments. In order to place well in tournaments, you should know what you're doing and be good at it.

Pretty sure there are enough quality players that we can define people who are both excellent performers and top-tier contributors.

Well, personally I think it should never be an issue.

Doesn't matter, it very much is an issue.

I don't see the argument behind awarding Gameplay badges to anyone besides skilled, helpful players.

I want to help end misinformation.

i think Dustloop's biggest problem (and i guess any forum of sufficient size) is that new members

1. don't know where to look for info

2. don't know who to trust

To my knowledge, helping other people was the reason the award system was implemented.

I don't see the argument behind awarding Gameplay badges to anyone besides skilled, helpful players.

To my knowledge, helping other people was the reason the award system was implemented.

Did you like, not read point number 2? At all?

Spark for what's been said already. Frame data for DLC chars and letting Washington players play any time of the week.

I agree, it doesn't matter if your good at the game or not, if your a cocky fuck who believes hes the shit and doesn't stop and try and help others then their not deserving of an award

I agree, it doesn't matter if your good at the game or not, if your a cocky fuck who believes hes the shit and doesn't stop and try and help others then their not deserving of an award

Hmm yes who to believe, the "cocky fuck" or the person who constantly spreads misinformation. Oh right. The cocky fuck is right. He deserves the badge.

Hmm yes who to believe, the "cocky fuck" or the person who constantly spreads misinformation. Oh right. The cocky fuck is right. He deserves the badge.

From what I've seen in other places, consistent cases of "cockiness" are usually caused because people choose to ignore them and listen to people who know far less about the game. The resulting frustration can lead them to "pull rank" on other people.

You could say that I'm in this very situation for one or two areas.

Personality is a factor in the delivery system, but should not be a variable in determining knowledgeable individuals

Reread my last post:"doesn't stop and try and help others"

Example: You layout a well written thread regarding a character and someone new has a question about it and you decide to say "FUCK OFF!" because there new at the game and trying to learn and you don't want to waste you're time, someone like that doesn't deserve an award IMO

When the cocky fuck decides to stop being a cocky fuck, then he gets a badge. Whats wrong with that?

Most if not all people who are legitimately good at the game aren't like that though, so it wouldn't be a problem.

Reread my last post:"doesn't stop and try and help others"

Example: You layout a well written thread regarding a character and someone new has a question about it and you decide to say "FUCK OFF!" because there new at the game and trying to learn and you don't want to waste you're time, someone like that doesn't deserve an award IMO

FUCK OFF!

When the cocky fuck decides to stop being a cocky fuck, then he gets a badge. Whats wrong with that?

Its ok to be cocky because it ain't bragging if you can back it up.

Now if you're arrogant then you don't deserve the medal.

so yes henaki is right, cocky people deserve a medal if he's right.

Its okay to be cocky. You won't get infracted for being cocky and correct. I'm fine with that.

But shouldn't medals be given out to the ideal citizens? If Dustloop wants arrogant cocky fucks as the "ideal citizen", then its fine. Its whatever the mods want as the ideal. It is your community to shape afterall.

mods are supposed to keep an eye out and award medals to those who are considered helpful and "know their shit". that doesn't mean this thread is useless. Far from it in fact. Everyone can see who their fellow members thinks deserves awards and mods can take note.

i've also added a category for tournament placings.

Surprised Kyle has not been nominated yet for the Online award; doing so much in terms of organizing/participating consitently XBL tournaments should be awarded :)

It just occurred to me that in several cases the person most qualified for "knowing their shit" of a specific character are already moderators of said character specific forums. Giving them an award as well almost seems like overkill.

Dacidbro would be a good candidate though.