Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4r5

[AC] Johnny vs Bridget

When Bridget does the whole roll fdc thing, there's not much to do about it other then listen for what Bridget is doing, pay attention to the camera's movement, and meet Bridget where he'll land to continue where you all left off. Once it get's going you probably aren't going to be in a position to punish it, so don't get too bent out of shape over it. Like Jais said, normal per normal, you are set. Just stay your ground and walk forward. You're either going to eventually get in or Bridget is just going to get hurt trying to keep you out. You don't even need to worry about getting "in". Johnny is perfectly suited playing a very long mid-range battle. Like, you don't need to worry about getting your bestest position. Johnny's 2nd or 3rd best positions are just as good as long as it keeps Bridget in his worst positions. Think of it like this. Ideally, you want to be just outside Bridget's sweep range with no Yo-Yo out. But alot of things need to go your way before that happens. You can end up accumulating a lot of damage if that's all you're aiming for. What's almost just as good as the ideal is hovering outside of Bridget's 6S range. From here, he got no moves to hit you with, and if he tries a Yo-Yo set, he'll get it, but now he has to block immediately after cause you're iad'ing in with a j.HS. He whiffs a move, you're in. He Yo-Yo sets, he gets it, but now you're in. If he doesn't want any of that, then you force him to move around. Then it's the good ol' Third Strike dance, but not as boring because only one person is walking back and forth. He either comes to you, which you're probably fine with, or you push him to the corner where he'll have to make some interesting decisions. Or he just outright makes an interesting decision. Just keep playing the matchup (do you have a Bridget around to even do so?) and you'll get the zones down.

Just keep playing the matchup (do you have a Bridget around to even do so?) and you'll get the zones down.

Yes. There is an up and coming Buri player (took 2nd place at the recent tournament I was talking about) who has serious potential to become the best in the state (probably by default since I don't know of any other NY Buri players). It's not always easy to get matches with him since he's still in high school but I definitely will make the effort to get more games in once I'm fiscally able to travel to his neck of the woods.

And I've taken to heart all of your points, Jais and 4r5 (I ask for someone with Jais matchup exp and I get the man himself. Couldn't have worked out any better!). I'll let you know how it goes next time I face the peril of Buri (now there's a sentence I'd never thought I'd say) :psyduck:

ut oh, high schooler. That's like, hyperbolic time chamber. next time you see the guy, he might be 10 times better. You'll ask him how and he'll just shrug and say how he finished his homework during lunch period and had nothing else to do for the rest of the afternoon + evening + weekend

ut oh, high schooler. That's like, hyperbolic time chamber. next time you see the guy, he might be 10 times better. You'll ask him how and he'll just shrug and say how he finished his homework during lunch period and had nothing else to do for the rest of the afternoon + evening + weekend

Put it this way: the first time I fought him last month, I was able to win 1 match out of 3, and barely lost the 3rd match. Last week, I was shut down completely. So any future encounters rely on some serious improvements on my part. Hyberbolic time chamber is an understatement.

Also, is it possible to Mist Loop Buri in the corner ala Eddie? Cause that'd be really helpful.

get him a girlfriend, that'll slow him down

Also, is it possible to Mist Loop Buri in the corner ala Eddie? Cause that'd be really helpful.

that MMF2, coin, MMF2 xN thing? I assume so. You might need to adjust it a little bit. Like MMF2, Coin, d.K/S/HS>MMF2

Johnny destroys Bridget at footsie range. Your 3HS, 5HS, coin, mist stance relentless pressure is not about mix-up but about punishing a player for trying to escape.

A well spaced j.HS can not be AA'd by Bridget's 6P.

Diving blade FRC makes for a free jump in. 1) hit, bait AA, for a KD 2) pressure for a falling j.HS and you are in.

Patience is key. Your 6P and 5HS beat Bridgets ground pokes.

Think of it this way.

in a normals vs normals situation

Ground to ground in close you win

Ground to ground far you lose

Air to Air far you win ( j.S>Ensengaa)

Air to Air close you win(divine frc)

Ground to Air you win ( 6p beats all buri jumping normals)

Air to Ground you win ( Diving Blade frc and j.HS)

Sounds to me like you are not making it stick when you are inside. Try more throw and coin and mist stance shenanigans.

If I can have an addendum to my post regarding normals v normals, I'll do so.

In any situation where Buri has a projectile, you lose.

Eg.

Air to Ground you win UNLESS there is a projectile in threatening vicinity.

Air to Air far you win UNLESS there is a projectile in threatening vicinity.

In all these projectile v normal situations you would follow what 4r5 said

If it's a yo yo or Hug:

------ if you can make contact -> do so

------ if you can't --------------> be patient and 1F super jump away

--------------------------------> block it out

if it's a bellyflop or punch:

------If Bridget is in 2S or 2D range -> block it out

------------------------------------->super jump, move, and let it pass under you

------If Bridget is not -> attack the bear and kill it.

if it's a razor:

------If you are behind it ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xk8YCmJMuE

------If you are in front of it -> super jump, move, and let it pass under you

if it's fire super:

------if used as mix-up---> jump into it and FD to avoid all mix-up

----- if used as pressure -> dash throw

------if used as zoning --->super jump, move, and let it pass under you

Your biggest threat in this match is the clock. Most of the time Johnny has enough coins to kill in three combo's ( coin, huge damage, no coin simple). Bridget has to connect like 4-6 times. always remember: you can do lots of damage to her in one combo that lasts all of 4 seconds long. It is always better if Buri comes to you. Out-patience your opponent and you are set. When you are in, you stay in, when you are out, you stay out.

EDIT: Every match-up thread is sticky'd?

If I can have an addendum to my post regarding normals v normals, I'll do so.

In any situation where Buri has a projectile, you lose.

Eg.

Air to Ground you win UNLESS there is a projectile in threatening vicinity.

Air to Air far you win UNLESS there is a projectile in threatening vicinity.

In all these projectile v normal situations you would follow what 4r5 said

If it's a yo yo or Hug:

------ if you can make contact -> do so

------ if you can't --------------> be patient and 1F super jump away

--------------------------------> block it out

if it's a bellyflop or punch:

------If Bridget is in 2S or 2D range -> block it out

------------------------------------->super jump, move, and let it pass under you

------If Bridget is not -> attack the bear and kill it.

if it's a razor:

------If you are behind it ----> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xk8YCmJMuE

------If you are in front of it -> super jump, move, and let it pass under you

if it's fire super:

------if used as mix-up---> jump into it and FD to avoid all mix-up

----- if used as pressure -> dash throw

------if used as zoning --->super jump, move, and let it pass under you

Your biggest threat in this match is the clock. Most of the time Johnny has enough coins to kill in three combo's ( coin, huge damage, no coin simple). Bridget has to connect like 4-6 times. always remember: you can do lots of damage to her in one combo that lasts all of 4 seconds long. It is always better if Buri comes to you. Out-patience your opponent and you are set. When you are in, you stay in, when you are out, you stay out.

EDIT: Every match-up thread is sticky'd?

Awesome; thank you so much for this Jais, this is definitely going to help me out in this fight. I'm surprised that I can dash throw the fire super if used as pressure...I'm going to really enjoy doing that if the opportunity ever presents itself.

@vedasime: you know me bro, I always think too much :8/: but I'm not putting anyone on a pedestal, I promise you that!

While on the subject of Roger Fire Bike. Bridget can never do a knockdown>YoYo-Set>FireBikeSuper and recover in time to block a wakeup OD. Atleast, not before AC. I think in AC, 2S and 6S launches/wallbounces + knockdowns on CH, so they might give him enough time to set it all up safely. If I remember correctly, there are a some circumstances where a knockdown>ForwardSet>FireSuper, the FireSuper won't be meaty and you can squeeze a forward dash before it reaches you.

Finding match videos to help is hard; BLEED was rolled by Ruu in the last 23v23 if I remember correctly, and while there's one of DC taking a Buri to round 5, ultimately he couldn't deliver.

Some questions:

1. How to deal with the godforsaken yo-yo. Are there high/low mixups from it that I need to know about? Better yet, what are the mixups, period.

2. Approaching. I had a hell of a time getting into mid-range because of some poke or another beating out my 5Ks, 2Ds. IADing is a no-no too because I was met with an immediate 6S to the face into combo into KD. Even a regular dash in gets stuffed by some random poke.

I think this is a match that forces you to be very patient for an opening. I sometimes get too desperate to land that 60%-80% combo on him that I fail to watch what's happening on the screen (ie: where the yo-yo is at any given point in time).

If someone can link JO vs BR matches that are successful, that'd be awesome as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfVbJ5bVdE4

i was looking around the random forums and i happened to find this. hope this helps killerwatt