Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kuuhaku

[CSE] Rachel International Videos + Critiques

I'll only critique the first match vs bang since I'm doing this by phone and I really haven't any clue on how to deal with and beat hazama. Warning, Incoming wall of text :3. Here I go. Rebel 1: I didn't really understand why you decided to open up with a jump back into airdash jb. Especially with Rachel's floaty air state, inferior air mobility against bang without wind, and the bang starting off in the air as well. Some typical round openers that are safe are, IABD into whatever, 236a, or to wait for them to make a move. Not saying your way was wrong, especially since you might know the bang's habits and I do not. But for the most part that isn't the safest way to start things off right. To add to this, shortly after you did a risky winded j2c while bang was on the ground. While the reward is certainly a treat and its safe on block when down-winded, do be aware that this manuever is extremely risky to throw out without caution. Not only that, bang is pretty fast on the ground as well. He can very easily run away from the move and just punish you. Now you're down some health but more importantly, you wasted a wind. You were on point with your punishing though; Punishing the bang's air command grab at 0:31. Nice corner pressure by the way, from 0:55 to 1:05. You even yomi 2c'd his 5a. 1:24, please please PLEASE dont ever use me while bang is on the ground, in neutral with 50 heat. He can punish you on reaction with daifunka which is free corner carry, though you were already cornered. On a good note, you managed to dodge bang's dnails twice in a row at this point, good job. Rebel 2, again you opened with the similar jump back as last round, only you j2c'd. Although the j2c hit, its really not a good idea to overuse this too much. Around 2:33 you did td again, this time right in his face. And he had 50 heat. Do be careful with that, as I've said earlier he can punish you very easily with daifunka. Rebel 3, you now did the same opener 3 times in a row. Aside from my previous statements about it, where is the variety? Remember you want to always be unreadable and unpredictable. By this time you should definitely be opening up with something else. May I suggest you refer to the upper half of this wall if text for other options? On top of that, your j2c actually whiffed shortly after. Luckily the bang was too busy with 5d to punish it. Around 3:06 - ah, you did the 3c 236b combo. How I envy you, I can never seem to remember this myself. u-uh, moving on... after 3:33, you were unable to regain momentum and lost the round via timeout. You were also out of wind. This was the time for you to stay on the ground, watching for his 3c, turtling, and spamming 6a like no one's business. Without even one stock of wind, Rachel has difficulty controlling space to fit her needs, and she can hardly even finish a combo. Next time you are in a situation like this, your best, and safest options besides from the above listed; block. Block well. Block it all. You NEED wind, and this us the safest way to obtain it. That 50 heat at the end of the match could have been used to kill bang with bbl or a better td...... And now, a small summary: all in all, you play pretty risky. Risk isn't bad, but with Rachel, a lot of times, such as being in the air, there isn't much she can do safely, and she can be punished hard if you whiff since many of her moves have huge recovery. It just means that you need to use your judgement in a more refined, precise way. I also noticed you don't have much mixup going on. Your pressure was good, but you didn't manage to condition the bang to watch for overheads, and he even poked you out of strings ending with 236a. If you don't want to do anything fancy, simple strings such as ...2b 4b, and 5b 2d ja are solid enough to work even on much better opponents. Regarding 236a, this move is more like a pressure ender. If you want to stay in his face for longer periods if time while still maintaining a safe advantage, 5a, 5b, 6b are jump cancellable, and really effective with 3d to maintain the point blank range; sword iris works as well, since it is plus 2. Dont forget to mix it up! Lastly, i'd say work on combos but you did some pretty impressive stuff. I'm sure youll work this bit out on your own.

Thanks Polka!

Alright, so the matches against the Litchi have finally been uploaded, and boy did I cringe watching them. Here's the link.

Alright, the recording fucks up a bit during the first round but it's fine after. I feel like I was doing not too bad until the end of the 2nd match, where I unbelievably dropped two game winning combos and got killed for it. The 3rd match I was already very psychologically shaken from all this fail so it was bad decision after bad decision... man, fighting games really are all about your state of mind when you play, lol.

So yeah, hopefully you guys help me find my biggest flaws and help me get stronger :)

im tired atm so l wont go too in depth today.

you didnt do bad. but my goodness you were impatient. whats the rush? you were out of wind very quickly at the start of each round and it seemed like you were struggling without it. my suggestions: stay on the ground. do not panic. let her zone! there isnt much rach can do windless. better yet, conserve wind and wait for an opening via airdash. block everything else.

you missed out on sooo much damage. l was sad. quick oki is good but you had the meter to do bbl combos alot of the time yet you went for measly 1k. again thats fine, but keep in mind her bbl combos regen almost 3 wind consistently and still grant oki and solid damage/meter. in the corner, if nothing else, frog combos are first priority for wind regen. remember 5cdc still works in the corner.

lt dosent seem like you know that matchup well (no offense!). lf you want l can give you some general tips and things l tried vs lambda that work,

l love those sword lris tricks, mind if l steal them? :D

I definitely agree about the damage. It was the first thing I noticed. You landed a lot of hits, but then just ended short with 3C into George or pumpkin. You could've done a lot more damage, especially with the corner combos, and you'd still get oki at the end of them anyway. Try to save the 3C -> Summon ender for when you're out of wind. And in round 2, I believe it was, you would've gotten the kill on a couple occasions if you just did a longer combo.

I'm also not sure why you Tempest Dahlia-ed during the timeout. I suppose that does work to stall for time, but from where you were the Lambda could've easily hit you with 2D or something.

Yes. That's the info I need. It's the stuff I don't even see even when I replay it ;D

Yeah wow I'm missing out on so much damage. I need to be more mindful of my own resources and then I can work on hit confirming into the big combos.

Alright people blow up my play. I ended up losing this match.

HK_10 PSN Ranbat#1: glirandly (RA) vs. SwordOfToan (LA)

I think I'm doing air grabs wrong against Lambda. Also, wow, I'm really jumpy in this set. I should just block on ground and regen wind. I was always out of wind when I could have killed.

I was delaying my tech because I didn't want to get thrown. And I think you were barrier blocking against me too much. You entered danger mode twice and the 2nd time, you had 4 full primers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_AeTuyHeo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoTh_71SQDs

Watching yourself play is embarrassing. So many online tactics, bad decisions and dropped combos :S

I'd especially need help with the Lambda matchup. Even though I won some of the matches after this one, I feel really uncomfortable. I have to rely a lot on my enemy to make big mistakes instead of me punishing smaller ones.

The Ragna match could've been better as well...

Few things I noticed right away in that Lambda match:

1) No pumpkin. Lambda gave you a lot of opportunities to summon it.

2) You didn't punish her when she missed with her swords.

3) You're letting her jump in for free. 6A her.

In general, one thing you need to work on- You seem to default to A cannon even in situations where you get no damage afterwards when you could get damage. Make sure you pay attention to your wind and heat meters. There were quite a few times where you could have killed them, but decided not to. :<

some things l saw you (not) doing:

-watching staff sets. always pay attention to how the staff is set, particularly when you only have pumpkin out. jump over 2d set and summon/whatever: stay under or sj over 5d set and summon. jump over both (sj over 5d) on the way back, or hit litchi/get her to block before staff returns to her.

-having frog out. you had numerous, huge opportunities. frog really shuts down her fullscreen zoning assuming you dont get hit by staff. lt also helps you start your offense/turtling/zoning. there isnt much litchi can do to kill him without you being able to punish her - hard - for it.

-against kokushi on your wakeup: neutral tech d (a/b/c +d), then throw. lf you suspect kokushi on wakeup, do this. lt's pretty fail-safe. (dont wind into kokushi by accident though!)

Relentless;1070842']I think people already figured out in CT that it's not a good idea to forward roll against frog oki :X

Hm... If I remember correctly, someone said 5CC oki was disadvantageous because of how far it put you back (I wonder who that was... they also said doing a combo with three 5CCs doesn't give hard knockdown). I also had to explain doing this kind of punish in the Skype channel and the combo thread. As soon as I can, I'll post a full tutorial on 5CC oki use.

Also, be careful on the late special cancel into frog. It's tricky to time so you still have time to dash 5CC afterwards. If you do it too early, you get 5A. Too late and the 5CC will hit them into frog instead of the wall. It also makes multiple-frog combos possible... but I've yet to see if it's worth it. I'll let you know if I find anything.

yay more tutorials :eng101:

just a slight tidbit, if you -know- they'll roll 5c is an unprorated roll punish. yum damage.

speaking of oki what do you guys do when the frog goes off? do you get all fancy-like with mixups?

Yeah. The point of this is to establish that against 5CC frog, the safest option for the opponent is neutral tech and block and you should make sure your opponent is trained to give you your free mixups. It's reversal safe... even for DP RC. Haku's counters don't reach (and you can delay the A cannon or wind it funny to mess him up). He can yukikaze out, but you can easily jump to avoid it (Jin's you can punish, but Haku's recovers too fast). You're also out of Tager busters and MTW range. But you'll see this all in the vid once I get a chance to record again.

Hm... If I remember correctly, someone said 5CC oki was disadvantageous because of how far it put you back (I wonder who that was... they also said doing a combo with three 5CCs doesn't give hard knockdown). I also had to explain doing this kind of punish in the Skype channel and the combo thread. As soon as I can, I'll post a full tutorial on 5CC oki use.

:X

Don't turn my words around like that. I didn't say 3 5cc's don't give hard knockdown, I said the knockdown isn't AS hard (as in, they can almost immediately emergency neutral tech so it's almost the same as but it's still harder than a 3c knockdown at that point, if I'm not mistaken I have to admit). And (good) people don't forward roll against either knockdown with frog anyway, because the frog would at least force them to block if he doesn't hit.

Perhaps disadvantageous was still a bad choice of word from me. I thought about it again and what you say about it being reversal safe is true and can obviously be a good thing. 3c knockdown is still not bad either, because it leaves you close enough to get two mixup chances (one during the frog being blocked, and one afterwards). With 5cc oki you'll most of the time throw a 236a (to catch rolls), then summon pumpkin and mixup after the frog finished so that only gives you one mixup, although with a better setup.

So in conclusion, 3c knockdown is good for when you want more (somewhat risky) mixup chances, 5cc knockdown for when you want the better, safer one.

Huh.... looks like 5cc indeed has more advantages to it D: I HAVE YOMI'D MYSELF!!!

(But doesn't the second hit of 5cc drop sometimes if you started the combo with really bad proration like multiple j.as/5b 2b loop or if the combo has been very long? I think I'm always scared of that and go with the easy, guaranteed 3c way).

Yup. Depending on the starter, you might have to cut short the ender. Simple things to do to modify the combo are to take out the 2nd 5CC (since the third one will blue beat, the second one shouldn't) and do 3C sword iris 5CC frog/pumpkin OR take out the 2nd A cannon if you really want 5CC frog ender. Though the full ender does work off of 4B (this only applies to level 3 j.2C combos).

3C frog/pumpkin isn't bad at all. But... when I can, I always go for 5CC frog. I prefer it for damage + heat/wind gain as well as safer oki.

One note is it is important to practice the ender on as many characters as possible since it can be hard to do dash 5CC/dash 3C on certain characters.

EDIT: Also... in that combo, they can't emergency tech the ender. You can meaty A cannon after setting frog even if they neutral tech immediately, which... last I checked, you can't do off of 3C (3C's not hard knock down... it's a sweep... you can emergency tech :V).

I mixed things up. You can't Emergency Tech a 5CC knockdown. The untechable time after the 3rd 5CC is a lot shorter than after only one or two 5CCs, but still more than 3c. I think we sorted that out now :X

(God I can't believe all the BS I'm posting at times...)

If the proration is high enough, they can tech before the ground slide finishes. But it's kind of hard to do that. You're more likely to bluebeat the 5CC.