Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4r5

[AC] Johnny vs Jam

JAM MATCHUP INFORMATION

Poking Game

More to come!...? You can help!

Strategy

Specific Punishes

Setups/baits

Knowledge

The Parry

does not work against lows.

Wow I really abhor this bitch. Her IAD is very fast and once she gets you better be prepared to guard for a very long time. I try to be as patient as I can when put on the defensive against Jam (which will happen in this matchup wether you like it or not). She can mash out a random 2S and hurt you bad if you can't wiggle out in time, and her dust is wicked fast so you can't even duck a lot (which is really bad because her simple 5k is low, fucking WHORE!). I try to zone her as best I can, but getting in for her is so fast and easy that she forces you to commit to defending a certain height with your mist finers. Try to see where she's coming in and if you guess wrong cancel the pose and block a shitload. Space/Zone her with MF's and Coins and good luck. On a side note, It's very risky to try to interrupt her or sneak in throws too cuz her damage is so big, easy and automatic that the risk reward is almost unbearable, Im even afraid to go for throws when I have the initiative because of 2S (never play this match on pad, it's impossible to wiggle out of 2S CH in time before her stupid easy combo). 5S is pretty good in this matchup, and so is 2D > Coin. Low MF defends against her special dash, and you can get the knockdown but if she IAD's it's trouble. TK Ensenga covers a wide range so I actually use this as a Keep out tool once in a while. DB is not so good in this matchup, or if it is I certainly haven't used it well nor have I had success. Even BLEED gets rolled by random Jams in Japan...sigh

Against Jam, I try to create some space between us then play an almost pure reaction game against her. Once she commits to an approach, I counter it. You can't stay too far, though, otherwise she'll just charge up all day. Against a small and mobile character like Jam, I try to avoid committing myself to large, drawn out, attacks like f.S, HS's, and MistFiners. A simple backdash, dodge, or parry and you'll be hurting. You gotta be real picky, if you want to poke with those move. I find the K's, 2S, and 2D enough to keep Jam at bay. And 6P for the air, or just plain moving out of the way. Once she gets inside? Can't really say much. She has alot of openings, but they're small and varied. Have to keep a flexible mind and stay a couple of steps ahead, so that when an opening appears you're ready and able to make the right move. You can also FD to make some room for yourself, especially her HS attacks. Jam's 2S is fast and nasty on counterhit, but like everything else Jam has she has to be in your face to use it. Jam's up-close game is her strength and you have to respect that. You can't be too hasty or you might get hurt. Jam's dust is actually among the slowest in the game. It's just not as extravagant as everyone else's, so it sneaks by a lot of people who are eyeing something to block. You never really learn to block it, anyways. Your mind just interprets the huge stop in action as an opening and before you realize it, you've counter-hited her and you're already half-way in your combo. I like to shy away from using f.S against Jam. It's pretty easy for her to dodge around it. And f.S is horrible on whiff. Against her DashRush attacks, I counter with 2K, 2S, or 2D. If she does the ForceBreak out of the DashRush, then backdash or super it; 6P if a trade will win you the round. Low MF is useful for the amount of ground it threatens, but you really have to eye Jam if you want to hit with it. It would be a waste to let off a level 2 MF with no combo to show for it. Ensenga as a poke is a big no-no, and very much so against Jam. There's so many things Jam players naturally do that beat out tkEnsenga, with out the Jam player actively thinking about countering it. DB against Jam is about as useful as it is against anyone. She can parry it, but that's not much different from someone else backdashing it, or simply move out of the way. Still solid air-to-ground, but as always, use with caution. FRC the DB all the time, as usual. Might want to keep an air-jump/dash, in case she parries and jumps up to try something. Or ready another DB or a KJ.

Thanks for the tips 4r5, I appreciate the imparted knowledge. You might be on to something with using long drawn out attacks, I guess I haven't played the match nearly enough to realize that my desire to keep her way out side with MF's/Long pokes is just a byproduct of naturally fearing her very easy and dangerous rush down. I can see that keeping her at a specific range with short pokes is better than keeping her way out with longwinded moves/pokes. I did want to point out that I personally have had some success with TK Ensenga. I agree it's risky, but I don't believe that disqualifies it as an option. It has a very large hitbox, and for a single move it's not glorious, but ok damage. It also sends her far away from you which can get her off your case for a bit. I don't whore this at all, I agree and I can potentially see where you can get toasted for using it, but once in a while it can be an unexpected tool... Another random piece of information: She can parry your coins, and as a result waste some of them =( Although I do wonder if there is a way to discourage this....I would have to know how long she's vulnerable for parrying and if I can slip in an attack in anticipation since the coin itself is detached....not sure since I haven't played Jam recently to remember the specifics of the parry animation/window.

Yeah, Jam can parry anything that can be blocked standing. To discourage her from parrying your coins, you pretty much only throw coins within range of your 2D. If she parries, then sweep; otherwise it's business as usual. Be careful if she opts to run under your coin with a 6P or whatever else, or through with a FBpuffball. You can also do the same thing while you're in range of a LMF.

Can you 6P her puffballs? Also, in a match against her she spammed the crossup puffball (the one from HS, much to my frustration and loss of health). Also when she got far enough away she just started charging so I would attempt to dash in and stop the charging. I quickly learned this was a mistake. On another note don't attempt to AD her from the other side of the screen. You will eat that flying side kick. I also noticed that when I went into Mist stance to try to stop her dash in (either air or ground) she would back up and start charging her moves again. To which I would try to stop. I didn't do very well in that match. :vbang:

6P tends to trade with puffballs. just hit her out with 2K or 2S. Beware of FB puffball

whenever i play jam i'm always trying to push her in the corner with either a mc string (usually 5H or something to that effect) or get a level 2 via hitconfirmed return jackhounds out of gatlings. this way, you're either raping her guard bar in the corner or getting a level 2 to prepare to rape her guard bar in the corner. from there, it's all mindgames to see when she'll try to break out. sometimes delaying a mc from a distance will help bait something like 6H, and you can either counter 6H that or coin.

snip

After reading your post, I've learned to counter hit Jam's 5D :kitty:

Although that only helped so much xDDD

"I am NOT a freaky fish guy" :mad:

Any jam pressure that leads into an iad to continue pressure can be air thrown, its a safe way to say "get off of me" in alot of situations where she's in the air. Close range coins seem to be the best thing to stop her if she's in your face, I have problems landing pokes such as 5k etc if a jam is rushing me. If you're near a corner try to avoid poking too too much, because a puffball can mean you're in for a deep pile of crap. There arent any johnny openers that cant be punished in this match, so i normally change between 2d if i expect a dash, hmf if i expect a jump, 6k if i expect a backdash jump, or a coin if im not really sure whats going to happen. Beware that she can run under your coin off the start and 2s you for some damage and the advantage in pressure game. Since jam is so very used to applying as much oki pressure as possible, wakeup overdrives are a good option in alot of cases. Dont let her stack cards, jackhound is the answer to this. She's relatively easy to land enkasus on, and if you land one into a mist, do NOT 3h for wakeup, use 2S because she'll simply parry your 3h and make you pay for it. Jams defense is not helping her in this fight, as far as LMF combos because she's so light and floaty, this is the combo that i use if i have a coin landed> 5k > 5h > lmf2 > j.s > dj.s > dj.h > kj frc > dj.s > tj.s > tj.h > tj.D > ensenga. Deals a total of 244 damage to jam with a regular guard bar, if you land so much as a HS before this combo hits for a +20GB, the damage is increased to 309. +40GB increases it to 348. So pretty much, if you can land a few blockstrings and find an opening for a combo, TAKE IT! the damage can change a match as fast as her damage can.