Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

4r5

[AC] Johnny vs Robo-Ky

dooing Robo dash requires Robo to be running for roughly 20 frames (a lot less in Countdown Super mode) before he can perform the attack, so he needs to be either: A) full screen away/close to full screen B) running at you after a knockdown C) running at you after you are stuck blocking ground bazooka or tk air missiles If he tries running at you without one of those scenarios, just throw out a long range normal (6H if you have time, 5H otherwise) because he won't have time to robo dash you otherwise. If you DO fulfill one of the above conditions, you really ought to just either backdash or (better yet) 1f jump out. if he closes in on you, he can either cmd grab or robo dash, both of which hurt, knockdown, and give him tension. If you anticipate the throw and try to do any attack (even OD) you will get CH out of it. Likewise if you expect the dash and you block (cause you know you have no attack that will beat it) then he gets a free grab. backdashing helps both situations since JO's is quite good, and means you probably won't get hit by the dash if you try to backdash it (though not quite sure). 1f jumping eliminates that worry altogether, so I would suggest that.

fairly sure 2HS beats out robodash pretty easily... its got long range and its fast also this is probably well known but 3HS almost always beats reversal DP (i think you have to time it pretty bad to lose) also... i dunno how easy this is... but my friend almost always beats my 2k by doing 6HS or just dashing over it and grabbing

The Robo-Ky has to place the Robo-Dash somewhat poorly for Johnny to be able to backdash it. (or OD it; the poor placement is what I meant about "a bit of luck") It's pretty easy to watch for a Robo-Dash and just 2HS. Usually the worst that can happen is it clashes. But putting too much attention watching for something that might not happen can be bad as well, especially if you're using 2HS to stuff it. You whiff a 2HS, and you're likely to get hurt. It's easy to beat 2K with Johnny's 6HS, or to dash over it and throw, if the Robo-Ky player does it from far away. Like, around outside of Johnny's 5K range. If Robo does his 2K from closer in, then it should be impossible to 6HS, since 6HS almost has 3 times the start, and it should be very difficult to forward dash over, since more of 2K's active frames are being put to work.

i think jo's 6HS might have some foot invul or something because i am in his face when i am getting c.h. out of 2k and it might just be me sucking horribly.. but i find jo's 5k to be devastating to roboky... it beats me out of j.s most of the time (the other times it usually clashes... very rarely do i get the hit off) and it generally hits me out of 2k i dunno.... i personally hate fighting johnny

jo's 6HS has no invul. it does, however, move his hitbox backwards briefly in the startup, but 2K should hit as it moves back forward, if it hasn't hit already. jo's 5K beating out ro's j.s and 2K? I mean, it's possible, but getting it to happen requires the cooperation of both players. (no offense) i dunno. it's been about half a year since our Robo-Ky player switched over to Venom. maybe my memory is fuzzy.

jo's 6HS has no invul. it does, however, move his hitbox backwards briefly in the startup, but 2K should hit as it moves back forward, if it hasn't hit already.

ah sorry about that

i think it might just possibly be the fact that i'm the only person the jo player plays against... so he just got really good at timing these things since he doesn't really think about any other matchups

i think jo's 6HS might have some foot invul or something because i am in his face when i am getting c.h. out of 2k

and it might just be me sucking horribly.. but i find jo's 5k to be devastating to roboky... it beats me out of j.s most of the time (the other times it usually clashes... very rarely do i get the hit off) and it generally hits me out of 2k

i dunno.... i personally hate fighting johnny

Are you talking about 6k?

His 5k loses to the 2k 90% of the time, and the j.S should win every time.

The 6k would still lose to the 2k, and the j.S, I could see it losing. Not sure though, it's mostly based off of matches with SH_.

Hit him with what ever you want. In Robo's 2HS case, you have to know it's whiffing before you see it whiff. Otherwise you won't have time to hit him.

If there's one thing I've learned from playing against Robo-Ky, it's that you can use 6HS pretty generously against him. I don't know if it's just me but 6HS really saves my life in this match-up. It's got such good range and damage potential that I simply can't overlook this move in a match-up. Obviously you aren't going to be mashing out a 6HS whenever you're playing against Robo-Ky but look for your openings. Especially that 2HS! If you have a level 2 and you hit Robo-Ky with a 6HS and counter hit, you can follow up with a good mist cancel combo (6HS, dash, 5K, 5S > 6HS again) etc. You just really have to know your spacing in this match so you can toss out your award winning 6HS, imo. Johnny's solid defense also leads to longer than expected matches so just tough it out! Defense is really important.. I don't even think I try to outdo Robo-Ky's god dashes anymore. Just block. It'll spare you the pain of a miserable running counter-hit > free tension > more dangerous Robo-Ky. The risk/reward in beating RO's dashing attacks is waaay too high in RO's favor for my tastes.

Can anyone let me know what the spacing is for Johnny's 3HS to beat RO's DP reversal? I tried it 3 times last night and had to eat his DP + Super. Not fun.

Here's a picture:

Posted Image

And here's a video:

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~esara1/JOvsRO%20-%203HS%20Oki.avi

3HS will clash with both hits of RO's Lv3 DP. Against a Lv2 DP, first hit will clash.

Alternatively, you can use 2K, and it will clash with the first hit of a Lv3 DP, or whiff against the first hit of a Lv2 DP.

Here's a picture:

Posted Image

And here's a video:

http://userpages.umbc.edu/~esara1/JOvsRO%20-%203HS%20Oki.avi

3HS will clash with both hits of RO's Lv3 DP. Against a Lv2 DP, first hit will clash.

Alternatively, you can use 2K, and it will clash with the first hit of a Lv3 DP, or whiff against the first hit of a Lv2 DP.

Thanks so much 4r5, I'll let you know how it goes when I play him over the weekend. Follow up question: when it does clash (as it inevitably will) what is a good move to follow up with? (I can't watch the video right now as I'm at work) And the times when I bait the DP reversal, often times the Robo will FRC/RC and block immediately. Is there no JO poke that can get to him before he has time to block?

Nothing is guaranteed after a clash. A clash just kinda resets the situation. You can cancel a clash straight into an FD-block, or attack; or anything else. What move you follow up with will depend on what you think RO will do. But if he does RC, then be happy that he's wasting meter. Don't worry about the video. I didn't do anything special. Was just demonstrating the minimum-ish distance you have to be.