Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheRealBobMan

Messing around with 6P

I wonder how many people pay attention to the frame data this closely, and since I started messing around with this the other day, I figure it's worth discussing to see if there's any merit to doing this.

I really bring this up because it works off of something I read the other day about the way the human mind is wired and how interruptions cause a lapse in ability to react normally. When someone is expecting something and you get that interrupt, the data from the experiments showed an average decrease in reaction time of like 0.17 seconds, which is like 6 frames, which might mean the difference between hitting with one move or hitting with 6HS. People already know to mess with others this way when they play (so this is nothing new), but with some hard data, maybe we can come up with some legit traps. If not, we have silly crap to throw at people when we want to show off or something.

Rather than always going 6P > c.S > 6P > whatever or c.S > 6P > c.S > whatever immediately, delay to the second hit, then keep going, every once in a while.

*Edit*

FINALLY HAD THE PROPER CIRCUMSTANCES TO ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAME AT HOME AFTER LIKE 6 MONTHS. Revising now that I know what Chipps damn gatlings are and what's even possible.

But anyway, the idea is to occasionally catch people by delaying for the 2nd hit of 6P and trying to trap people that don't know the exact data, or by dropping little openings in as bait. I don't know how long you have to wait into a move to gatling to the next one though, so help me out here. I'm just going to assume you'll do it after the last active frame of the attack (after the hit-pause is over?). SOMEONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW THE EXACT TIMING.

It's a lvl 3, so you get 13F of block stun, and the frame data lists a (9) in between the 3 and 5 for active, so I'm guessing that's the delay between hits, and it's going to feel like more because of the hit-stop. This gives us 4 frames to play with where we're still safe if we cancel into another move at the latest possible time, so we could even cancel a c.S out of it at the latest possible time and still wind up safe (except a throw might beat it since they're instant?), not that you'd want to.

2D starts on frame 9, so you can safely cancel immediately into that right? Sometimes you'll want to as part of just messing with them, but sometimes you might want to delay and then do it as they're waiting for the next hit... just try to be out of throw range. Sometimes you might catch someone expecting to uppercut out if you do this enough and they realize they can do it, and that's when something like the late c.S would catch them starting the forward motion (or maybe you'd catch someone trying to instant block your stuff and their timing getting screwed up since you keep delaying your gatlings).

For jumping, Chipp leaves the ground on frame 3. You can't FDC the jump immediately like I initially hoped (the j.2K won't make you fall when you still have the rising momentum from a jump), though what you could do is jump cancel out with forward momentum and then FDC to stay on that side and try for a crossup j.H during your pressure strings.

OR, here's a mind-fuck... maybe they'll expect one of my favorite, incredibly stupid trick and set you up to jump out late for an air-grab. You have to hit with a 6P really deep on someone's guard, like out of a run or something (even out of landing on them really close with a j.S or a j.HS pushes you too far, though you could step in), delay instead of gatling, and right before the 2nd punch, Roman Cancel > grab. If you don't delay like that, they'll be in hit stun for too long and you'll just 6HS. You really have to delay after the RC, but it's legitimate that first time you do it because no one in their right mind would do something so silly to attempt a tick throw (wasting 50% on it no less). You can step in during those frames if necessary (done perfectly, you'll have that 4 frame gap to wait on + another 6 I think where you can't grab).

6HS starts on frame 17, so gatling out already doesn't work since it can be beaten, but people that don't have a solid feel for it might let you hit them (not that you'd want to rely on it). You might catch someone with a CH 6HS if you gatling immediately out of the first hit of your 6P after you've been delaying for a while and leaving baits (catch them trying to do an input for something), or maybe catch someone trying to jump out of corner pressure like an idiot. Meh, that one might confuse people, but it seems really hard to land.

A delay into 2.S could work out well in some matchups where 2.S is a good poke, trying to bait them into escaping, then beating whatever poke they'd use to get out, or just doing that into 2H > 6K/2D mixup (a mixup after one of these stupid traps, especially if you don't use it much). 2.S starts on frame 7, so you'd want to delay about 1/2 way through to the 2nd punch to get it safe or just barely not safe. It might look like there's enough time to get out if you time it just barely safe since people that don't know the exact numbers can probably tell that 2S is slower than his other moves to start up (just not sure by how much), and you might be able to bait someone that actually knows that you COULD leave the opening there if you do it too late. Same thing goes with HS - starts on frame 7. Fish for a counter hit so you can get a free dust combo?

You'd have to spend meter on a RC to cancel into a 6K, so it's not worth it. Getting a 70% prorated combo at best if it's a CH or just getting the hit to land without a CH and not comboing out of it isn't going to help. Just 6P > D.

Can't cancel into Gamma, so that's out. : (

You could teleport out to confuse someone. They're expecing you to sweep since you've thrown out that 2D from this thing a few times, then you delay and do a HS or D teleport and come down on them with a j.HS, or if you're pushing out of range, delay into a K teleport into grab (or if you think they'll react to the teleport, thinking the K makes the most sense, a P teleport or S teleport to bait something out of them and punish it).

One thing that might catch someone off guard occasionally would be a delayed 6P into 41236K. Right as they're thinking the 2nd punch is coming, possibly going for instant block timing, you jump with the command throw. After the first time, they know it's coming and know to react to it, but that first time might clutch you a small combo I guess. *Shrug* Wish it was more consistent, but yeah, this one would really play into the idea of interrupting someone's intentions and getting them to "let you" hit them when they could easily deal with it.

Oh, and at the end of all this, it's worth noting that an instant block on the first hit will have 10 frames of block stun, so you'll still be safe if you delay, though you can't really gatling super late. Might be able to mess with some people there too. And you'll have 16 frames of block stun if they faultless to push you away, so you might be able to get a 6HS in there or something.

Meh. Any ideas? : )