Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Milln

Middle Tennessee Needs Gaming! Monthly Versus Tourneys - Antioch, TN

Work backwards. Pick the job you want and decide your school/major/training around that occupation.

You can have a career and maintain an active role in the FGC.

career mojo

Check out MIT's OpenCourseWork. It's a catalogue of free MIT courses for pretty much any career path, including syllabus, coursework, tests and everything, sans any input from a teacher or actually going to class. All available online. Might help you figure something out.

http://ocw.mit.edu

I'm following classes on costume making, physics, Electronic Music Comp and Nuclear Engineering because why the fuck not.

Now I feel bad for makin anyone worry. It's cool, the officer's arm's a bit messed up but nothing permanent as far as I know, and I'm fine. I'm probably not going to see you guys any time soon cuz of this. That truck was my responsibility even if I wasn't driving it, and I have to pay my mom back after I clear up my court dues.

Check out MIT's OpenCourseWork. It's a catalogue of free MIT courses for pretty much any career path, including syllabus, coursework, tests and everything, sans any input from a teacher or actually going to class. All available online. Might help you figure something out.

I'm following classes on costume making, physics, Electronic Music Comp and Nuclear Engineering because why the fuck not.

Sounds pretty interesting. . .

@Star - I have the opposite problem. There's just so much interesting stuff out there that I can't possibly choose. I wanna be an astrophysicist, a programmer/coder, a lawyer, a doctor, a producer, a mechanic, an author, an economist, etc. . . But lately I've been leaning toward astrophysicist since I've been learning about astronomy in my free time. Of course, this is likely subject to change the very next time I come across an interesting subject.

Off of an instant overhead, nah, not in Persona. Non-counterhit damage kinda maxes out before resembling BlazBlue's 9k.

Off of a bs move, only on fatal counter. Or counter-hit raw supers.

First off Hakumen's 9k damage is very situational and is hardly seen. Second, the damage is consistently higher in Persona than it is in BB. Third, Aegis gets retarded damage off instant overhead like a third and sometimes closer to half on low health characters and hers is much more practical.

And "fatal counter" is less situational in Persona. Especially with characters like Akihiko who has fatal status with counter hit 5B, fear status, etc. and the additional 50 meter you get to use for 150 meter combos. The fact that you can not only cancel normals into supers but specials into supers makes tagging supers at the end of combos more easier than in BB. Also, with OMB which reduces proration and launches the opponent all while canceling whatever move you are doing. There are a lot more system mechanics in persona that favors high damage than in BB. It's why you consistently see atleast one round of every match where any character in the cast just explodes on another, and is why I agree with Bishop that, like other high damage fighting games i.e. tekken and marvel, that it should be 3/5.

@Star: The best way to gain a true understanding of whatever career you are interested in is to talk to someone who has that career AFTER you have researched about it. The reason why I say after, is so you can formulate quality questions that are specific and is where a person's experience is most useful. Generic information about a career can be found on the internet, a person can provide you the context of that generic information.

If you go to an actual university and not a technical/community college that environment makes it a lot easier to help you pick and choose what you are interested in because of the variety of courses they have to offer and that almost every professor at some point had a career doing whatever they teach before becoming a professor so they make excellent people to talk to about what to expect out of a job. Where as technical/community colleges are more limited in resources.

Also, as a general note, If you have a slight interest in something and then start to think you don't, don't dismiss it immediately. Sometimes it takes time researching about it, doing it, and talking to people about it for you to realize you truly are interested in it.

Invest time now and don't rush things because it is a life making decision, but don't be too slow or otherwise you won't have enough life left to make a decision.

Above all if finding a career is that important to you, the only way you can get better at knowing what you want is the same as getting better at fighting games or anything for that matter. Invest time into it. Make the majority of your free time invested towards finding and planning your career path. It's those people who utilize their time the best that end up being successful.

Yeah, I'll see if they'll actually let me do something past the 21st. If not then maybe I could help co-run this months MTNG or something.

What's the community like out there in Chatt-town?

Edit: Will someone make me a new Avatar? Something with Ky and a trollface, maybe?

I'll see what I can do.

Anyways. . .

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2271[/ATTACH]

YO VOLPE ARE YOU ALRIGHT, MAN?

Also, Winter Brawl might not happen for me, as it could cost more than my family had originally anticipated. So Final Round is more likely for me right now, and if it's true that BB is going to have a side tournament, then I'm completely fine with going to FR instead of WB. Especially since all of your guys are going as well.

Cooooooooool! Final Round is definitely much closer and probably less costly a trip.

@FR stuff - I'm going to pre-register some time today or tomorrow (most likely tomorrow). How does the housing situation fare Milln? Is anyone willing to hole us up? Let me know, I could probably score one of those rooms Astaroth is talking about if there's any remaining in time.

@BB side-tournies: I want to enter BB, but I don't want to play Noel. I need a character to pick up and learn before Final Round. Someone choose a random character on the character-select screen for me, or whoever comes to you guys' mind first. I'll seriously learn whoever it is. We should do a poll!

@ Real talk: How do people come to a conclusion on what they want to do for a career? I've been cycling through multiple career possiblities and nothing inspires me to say "this is what I want to do for the rest of my time on this earth!"

FR Stuff- ZomB said he'd house 7 or 8 or something of us. So that's my car and first claim after that.

BlazBlue: Play Lambchop.

Real Talk: It's kinda different for everyone. Career choices happen differently and you realize what you want to do differently than others may. Personally, my career choice plays off of my Supportive-Heart personality. I talk people into buying stuff to solve their problems and help others grow as individuals and salespeople.

I'm fine.

Good, we're glad. <3 Volpe forever

First off Hakumen's 9k damage is very situational and is hardly seen. Second, the damage is consistently higher in Persona than it is in BB. Third, Aegis gets retarded damage off instant overhead like a third and sometimes closer to half on low health characters and hers is much more practical.

And "fatal counter" is less situational in Persona. Especially with characters like Akihiko who has fatal status with counter hit 5B, fear status, etc. and the additional 50 meter you get to use for 150 meter combos. The fact that you can not only cancel normals into supers but specials into supers makes tagging supers at the end of combos more easier than in BB. Also, with OMB which reduces proration and launches the opponent all while canceling whatever move you are doing. There are a lot more system mechanics in persona that favors high damage than in BB. It's why you consistently see atleast one round of every match where any character in the cast just explodes on another, and is why I agree with Bishop that, like other high damage fighting games i.e. tekken and marvel, that it should be 3/5.

Aegis' overhead is telegraphed, yes, is instant.

Persona's not a terribly high damage game with the likes of Marvel and Tekken. It's damage can be high, but it's all over the place. I don't agree that it should be 3/5, though, because just like any other airdasher, it changes burst theory a lot and only makes the strong characters stronger with more opportunities to gold burst or One More Burst without too much to fear which are the big factors in doing more damage, the mid characters stay where they are, and poor Labrys no longer exists in the game cause of her axe meter mechanic.

But then again Labrys is bottom of the barrel in the first place, so let's go 3/5 if enough people agree.

Career talk.

I can stand behind this.

My career path is a bit off. When I first got to college, I had no goals, no aspirations, no anything. My GPA also was not the greatest. However I was able to find a school that would pay to do what I love, bowling, and be able to find what I wanted to do. I knew I needed to go to college, I didn't want to work in fast food or some crap job that I hated, I had asperations, I just didn't know what I wanted. At first I thought I wanted to be a high school teacher, where I could run an anime club and be a bowling coach, Imagine me teaching your kids. Then I thought I wanted to be a philosopher, Fatchu the Phlosopher, and major in religion/ philosophy. Then I realized that the entire time I wanted to work in sports, and finally switched to the Sport Management major. My goal is to work in TV radio in sports, or something of a competive nature.

I guess the whole point Im trying to get to here is that, you truly don't know what you want top do with your life, you kind of just walk into it and just go with it. You don't just wake up the next day and say I'm going to be a blady blah blah, you have to work at it and find yourself and what you want to be, good luck bro we all need it.

Real talk aside: Ill be in the boro friday ,so ill be at kaos theory, however school and getting the bowling tournment sick has not let me play as much as I want, I have picked up chie thought, shes fun and she reminds me an awful lot of my next wife. Also I still don't know if I want to go to mtac or final round, I can never seem to get a good group to go with me to mtac however I always have a blast and meet new bros. FR would be a new experience and all of you guys are going there, however I would get wrecked, and I have to figure out where im going to stay if I go to either or.

Volpe: Bad luck mate. Glad you are unharmed.

Career: I didn't get one. I dropped out of college. I realized that life was what happened while you made other plans, and life would constantly change your plans. THB my first love taught me that. She ending up being genius bitch, but the genius stuck. I always focused on being instantly accepting and flexible to those changes. I think it all comes down to finding a career that constantly changes. If your job gets stagnant and there is no room to challenge yourself daily, then it will end up being hated by every fiber of your being. Anyone reading this on a fighting game forum can relate to the feeling when you've played under a certain set of rules, a certain game engine for so long that nothing interesting happens anymore. Just don't let that end up being your career, and you'll probably be fine. Also, don't get her pregnant. That is the other half of that equation.

@Milln: What about 2/3 rounds and 3/5 matches? Preserves the burst metagame and makes Chie, Aegis, and other chars who benefit from 50/50 into huge damage be a bit more consistent.

Thank you very much for reminding me of this. It cleared up a hell of a lot for me.

What's the community like out there in Chatt-town?

Pretty dead as far as FGs go: I think there's been one event for BB that I played in with 4 people, including me.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. For the longest time i've always been thinking that maybe there was something wrong with me for a large portion of my life for not being able to even feel passionately for one specific career like most of the people I went to high school with.

Oh well, guess something will open up for me one day. I'll keep researching until then.

@CP: Man, the more I look at the game, the more fraudulent it gets. Not to mention the soundtrack is ass too. Don't think I can enjoy this as BB anymore.

@Milln: What about 2/3 rounds and 3/5 matches? Preserves the burst metagame and makes Chie, Aegis, and other chars who benefit from 50/50 into huge damage be a bit more consistent.

We'll try it this MTNG.

Pretty dead as far as FGs go: I think there's been one event for BB that I played in with 4 people, including me.

That's no good. You should hang with us more often while you're here.

>Jam and Faust both very low HP

>Random item throw super from Faust

>Punish with EX puffball

>Notices the super threw THREE BOMBS

>Faust bursts

>The bombs combo off the burst

>Faust picks up the combo ftw

>gg no re

Ggs to everyone last night. Shout out to minion for the most hilarious kill ever.

Yeah, last night was tons of fun. Shout-outs to everyone who made it out. We should play Catherine more often, too. :D

Also, shout-outs to G-ram's back for being a fgt. Get better soon.

That was the best thing I've seen in GG lol. Went back and tested this in Training mode, and

Blue Burst > 3 Bombs > f.S(far slash?, 5S) > 5H

net me a grand total of 60 damage. :P