Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Milln

Middle Tennessee Needs Gaming! Monthly Versus Tourneys - Antioch, TN

Having to start weekly doctor visits for a bit and the day that was decided on was Saturday T_T I definitely can't come to GG this Saturday but hopefully I can get out early enough for the MTNG on the 16th.

WHO'S SWANGIN' THROUGH TO KAOS THEORY TOMORROW?

I am.

And they have pitchers of alcohol for you guys for 5 bucks, I was just told. With the next MTNG and a lot of majors ahead of us, I both hope and expect to see a lot of people at the Game Galaxy (which I will resume going to now that my schedule is clear) and Kaos Theory weeklies going forward. Cookeville crowd, I wanna see you guys this way, too. I'd show up over there, but Wednesday is a schedule conflict for myself, but I know Friday is not for you all. =\ I'll even chip in for gas.

IIRC, Chandler's afk this weekend, but I'll try to round people up and go to things without him. Gamepro is not for humans anyway.

I may show up tonight, I havent gotten alot of gaming in since I have been sick, schoolwork, and bowling has gotten the best of me, but Ill try to show up tonight.

IIRC, Chandler's afk this weekend, but I'll try to round people up and go to things without him. Gamepro is not for humans anyway.

Bueno. I'll see you tOnight, hopefully, then!

See you too, Thackston, if you can make it.

I'm bringing Playstation all stars as a diversion for when we need a break.

Loved hanging out with the Cookeville guys, BoomCube, and Mellis. =D lots of fun and Playstation Allstars is actually kinda hype for a failed game and when Big Daddy isn't on the screen.

Good sets in both arcsys games with Minion, wish we had the presence of mind to play moar. Ditto to mellis

@Final Round peeps: To be clear up the wonder, there is definitely a BlazBlue side tourney going on at Final Round. Jyosua and The Great Reptar are throwing it on Friday.

Always a good time with you guys, Playstation all stars is to fun, however there is only one character that matters

post-24097-139515173573_thumb.jpg

Good meeting the guys from cookeville, faust is mad fun. Special shoutout to papstr for letting me know every character that has a command grab. Always good seeing milln and the boro bros. I highly doubt Ill be able to come to the mtng this weekend, school stuff is getting in the way :(

Lmao I take everything back I said about Playstation Allstars. This game is complete and utter trash. Need to go through some serious rulesets if we're going to make it playable at all. There is no way I can take it even remotely seriously.

Might get an out of stater or two for next MTNG. Practice up.

Edit: Just won an FFA match by doing pretty much nothing but spinning around in one spot, getting 2 bars at the end and throwing Kuma at the last remaining person.

Playstation Allstars is a game

Hahaha dude, This is so silly. XD This is the most fraudulent versus game i've seen. Literally, anyone can play and have an equal shot at winning. They did well at making it accessible, but for people that think like a 2D fighting game player, it's cringe-worthy.

I have a feeling parappa is pretty beast, he can just go off to the side and be all like, dont mind me im just jamming to my tunes and building meter, what other character can do that?

The cat can just kinda take a nap on the spot for comparable meter gain... not that she has a comparable level 2 super, lol.

...Yeah, screw the rappa.

Surely, All Stars would be tournament viable if the standard was Big Daddy mirrors on the practice stage, with no items. The mindgames! "Do I forward + attack 2, or do I down + attack 2? Do I pretend this is a game and use Super 1, or do I play the gritty realist and blow my load on Super 2?"

It was great to see you guys. Totally worth cramming a bunch of half-willing Cookevillians into a Volkswagon for two hours and getting lost on the way.

Getting rocked by Boomcube's Order Sol was educational. He makes pushing buttons to get out of pressure so dangerous, and not falling for any of my unsafe pressure BS has highlighted some things I need to work on.

MTN is this weekend isn't it? Going to enter Persona with either Narukami or Yukiko for the lawlz. People sleep on that slut way too often (no pun intended). She's better than everyone gives her credit for. Fought a very strong Yukiko earlier and she taught me how a real whore runs the streets. That pressure. Mitsuru, you need to step that game up girl.

MTN is this weekend isn't it? Going to enter Persona with either Narukami or Yukiko for the lawlz.

Haha. . . I don't even care about tournaments anymore. At least, not with the obsessive compulsion I used to have when it came to displaying the fruits of my training. I just wish I had some people to sit down and play Gear or Persona with. Instead, I get to press my buttons with Yosuke and get kicked out of netplay rooms for not playing "casual" enough. It's lame because I think I'm finally ready to disengage my perfectionist mindset from fighters and just play games, but everybody lives so far away. . .

Anywho. Continuing with the trend of rambling on, how much do you guys think is too much? Is there a point where the competitive drive is taken too far? I'm not talking about being an asshole or elitist, but rather in terms of intensity and how serious one takes their games. I feel like I get so excited over fighters that the brief instances of respect or recognition I've received go straight to my head, and I continue chasing that high to certain extremes. I'm slowly coming down from that and remembering why I first enjoyed competing in the first place, but I'll probably always be intense about it. I might just be over-thinking things, but sometimes I feel like I alienate myself from you guys because I try so hard.

It's kinda funny, now that I think on it. Back then I'd never be able to post this because it's all tangled up in my ego, but now it's just kind of. . . whatever.

Well, I've about filled my rambling quota for the week. At least Dark Souls is still here to touch me in inappropriate ways. On that note: I fucking nailed Ornstein and Smough! I'm finally to the point where I'm addicted to this game again now that I've cleared all the content I've already seen. I really love how the lack of a structured story-line makes you play the game like a typical rpg addict (see, kill, loot), but when you pay attention to the subtle hints of back-story and flavor text, you realize that you're an asshole for killing half of the bosses. . . Especially Sif. ;-;

I believe enough becomes too much when you stop having fun, and keep playing.

I also don't think you've ever alienated yourself from us. We ALL just wanna play games, whether it's extremely casual, or quite intense, so it's hard to alienate yourself.

@Volpe: You just got to learn to deal with it man. You're in a crappy part of Tennessee for this kind of thing and there isn't much you can do about it. Also, I offer my and SpaceBace's services to get competitive-level matches online but you're never around when we're playing. So yeah, only so much can be done on our part.

I don't think having a competitive drive is ever a bad thing. I can only think of a few instances where it becomes a problem when you deliberately try to harm or hinder someone due to the built up salt or whatever (I don't really thinks this happens though. At least, i've never heard of it). Salt in itself is not a bad thing either. Actually, I think there's a clear different between salt and not having fun. I believe it's necesary for players to go through that experience of getting frustrated to truly start enjoying the game they're playing (at least, if they want to be competitive anyways).In short, if you ask me, I don't think there is a limit to how serious one can take a game. Since playing that game seriously shows just how much you actually do love playing it. I don't know how anyone feels about that but that's pretty much my take on it.

Also, how are you alienating yourself from MTN? If they play fighting games competitively and you play fighting games competitively...then? Problem? I do feel where you're coming because sometimes, only sometimes, it does feel like i'm taking things far more serious than MTN players do. However, that just kind of upsets me a bit.

One more thing and i'm done here. When it comes to having that whole high off of recognition or whatever, I think a lot of people have that problem. Instead of going to tournaments for an outlet for your urge to play cometitively, they go to show off their stuff and create their own set of rules on how a game is supposed to be played and whatnot. I'm not exactly sure what i'm trying to say here 100%. I had this well thought out in my head before typing it out but it seems to have turned into a mess. Lol

Want fries with that salt? lol.

have a feeling parappa is pretty beast, he can just go off to the side and be all like, dont mind me im just jamming to my tunes and building meter, what other character can do that?

I'm not sure he's the best, I'm finding it hard to imagine Kratos or Sly not being top tier, lol. Parappa's lvl 1 doesn't seem nearly as good. I did like what I saw of him though. Divekicks and Shoryukens evry'day.

Hahaha dude, This is so silly. XD This is the most fraudulent versus game i've seen. Literally, anyone can play and have an equal shot at winning. They did well at making it accessible, but for people that think like a 2D fighting game player, it's cringe-worthy.

It was a ton of fun, but I could honestly never take it seriously lol. They injected some FG fundamentals into the game, but it's totally ruined by the "hit a super to win" aspect. Hitting things just doesn't seem as rewarding when all of your punch can just lead to a dud, which makes it seem like only the characters with reliable and efficient supers can be competitive.

Loved hanging out with the Cookeville guys, BoomCube, and Mellis. =D lots of fun and Playstation Allstars is actually kinda hype for a failed game and when Big Daddy isn't on the screen.

Good sets in both arcsys games with Minion, wish we had the presence of mind to play moar. Ditto to mellis

Totally! It's kinda an expensive excursion, but I love it when we are actually able to make it there. I learn alot every time I fight you, and always have a ton of fun. Order Sol v. Faust was pretty crazy, though it seemed pretty snowbally; That 6HS loool. I was a tad disappointed to find my panic response show back up when I was fighting your Yosuke, mostly just meaning I felt like I resorted to hitting the DP button way too often. Still it was a great set, I love fighting your Yosuke :P He's such a fun-looking character.

Haha. . . I don't even care about tournaments anymore. At least, not with the obsessive compulsion I used to have when it came to displaying the fruits of my training. I just wish I had some people to sit down and play Gear or Persona with. Instead, I get to press my buttons with Yosuke and get kicked out of netplay rooms for not playing "casual" enough. It's lame because I think I'm finally ready to disengage my perfectionist mindset from fighters and just play games, but everybody lives so far away. . .

Anywho. Continuing with the trend of rambling on, how much do you guys think is too much? Is there a point where the competitive drive is taken too far? I'm not talking about being an asshole or elitist, but rather in terms of intensity and how serious one takes their games. I feel like I get so excited over fighters that the brief instances of respect or recognition I've received go straight to my head, and I continue chasing that high to certain extremes. I'm slowly coming down from that and remembering why I first enjoyed competing in the first place, but I'll probably always be intense about it. I might just be over-thinking things, but sometimes I feel like I alienate myself from you guys because I try so hard.

It's kinda funny, now that I think on it. Back then I'd never be able to post this because it's all tangled up in my ego, but now it's just kind of. . . whatever.

Well, I've about filled my rambling quota for the week. At least Dark Souls is still here to touch me in inappropriate ways. On that note: I fucking nailed Ornstein and Smough! I'm finally to the point where I'm addicted to this game again now that I've cleared all the content I've already seen. I really love how the lack of a structured story-line makes you play the game like a typical rpg addict (see, kill, loot), but when you pay attention to the subtle hints of back-story and flavor text, you realize that you're an asshole for killing half of the bosses. . . Especially Sif. ;-;

Part of the thrill of fighting games is the seriousness of the matches (most of the times), that intensity is what draws me to the genre, so as long as it doesn't engulf your life, I say keep chasing. And I'm a PS3 player, though I'm hardly ever on lol.. :sweatdrop: We should really try to get some matches in some time! You like fighting the bull and it's persona right?

Dark Souls really is an amazing game, I've replayed it so many times now it's not even funny now. I'm working on a SL1 character atm, sitting in front of the oreos and smores door right now, lol. The series has so much replay value it's insane. And the PvP is so exciting too! :D Honestly don't think I've spent so much time on any other RPG.

The cat can just kinda take a nap on the spot for comparable meter gain... not that she has a comparable level 2 super, lol.

Surely, All Stars would be tournament viable if the standard was Big Daddy mirrors on the practice stage, with no items. The mindgames! "Do I forward + attack 2, or do I down + attack 2? Do I pretend this is a game and use Super 1, or do I play the gritty realist and blow my load on Super 2?"

It was great to see you guys. Totally worth cramming a bunch of half-willing Cookevillians into a Volkswagon for two hours and getting lost on the way.

Getting rocked by Boomcube's Order Sol was educational. He makes pushing buttons to get out of pressure so dangerous, and not falling for any of my unsafe pressure BS has highlighted some things I need to work on.

Haha I dunno about that, maybe some items actually need to be ON cause of the game. Patrick's Order Sol is baller. I love it.

MTN is this weekend isn't it? Going to enter Persona with either Narukami or Yukiko for the lawlz. People sleep on that slut way too often (no pun intended). She's better than everyone gives her credit for. Fought a very strong Yukiko earlier and she taught me how a real whore runs the streets. That pressure. Mitsuru, you need to step that game up girl.

It is on the 16th. Yukiko is better than people give her credit for, but she's still not great. >,>

Searching
I don't think you, or anyone else, has put the rest of us off because of trying too hard, so you shouldn't feel like that. All of us actually want to nurture your competitive vibes, it's just a distance problem that prevents you from visiting more often, I think. If you want to be competitive, be competitive and do what you can to improve yourself. Don't get discouraged, cause then you're just gonna feel worse. =O

Also, how are you alienating yourself from MTN? If they play fighting games competitively and you play fighting games competitively...then? Problem? I do feel where you're coming because sometimes, only sometimes, it does feel like i'm taking things far more serious than MTN players do. However, that just kind of upsets me a bit.

One more thing and i'm done here. When it comes to having that whole high off of recognition or whatever, I think a lot of people have that problem. Instead of going to tournaments for an outlet for your urge to play cometitively, they go to show off their stuff and create their own set of rules on how a game is supposed to be played and whatnot. I'm not exactly sure what i'm trying to say here 100%. I had this well thought out in my head before typing it out but it seems to have turned into a mess. Lol

Yes, some salt is good. I actually think I understand what you were trying to say with your last paragraph.

However, lemme segue into something. I think you, Volpe, and one or two others think that the rest of the community isn't serious about being competitive. We are, we just aren't serious-face about it. Instead we laugh and have a good time, because that's what playing games is all about. It's cool to be serious and concentrating, but it's also fine to laugh about it, as well. Someone's outward expression toward a game is not indicative of their take on it.

Totally! It's kinda an expensive excursion, but I love it when we are actually able to make it there. I learn alot every time I fight you, and always have a ton of fun. Order Sol v. Faust was pretty crazy, though it seemed pretty snowbally; That 6HS loool. I was a tad disappointed to find my panic response show back up when I was fighting your Yosuke, mostly just meaning I felt like I resorted to hitting the DP button way too often. Still it was a great set, I love fighting your Yosuke :P He's such a fun-looking character.

=D

I learned a bit more and confirmed a few things about Shadow Labrador, myself. YO 6H IS THE BEST TERRIBLE MOVE EVER. DOOOOM (CH) DOOOOOOOM. (dizzy) DOOOOOOOM. (roman) DOOOOOOOOOM WHERE DID ALL MY LIFE GO.

Yosuke is definitely a fun character. He's so silly and fun. I like fighting you, too, Minion, we should get moar casuals at the tournament! Asterius whips his hair back like a shampoo commercial.

I heard there's going to be a really fun tournament Saturday. I heard I'm goin to be there. I heard you're all going to be there and we're getting delicious food afterwards.

That's just what I heard.

I heard there's going to be a really fun tournament Saturday. I heard I'm goin to be there. I heard you're all going to be there and we're getting delicious food afterwards.

Sounds like the kind of thing I'd want to go to, guess I better practice a little bit, instead of giving my soul to Median XL all week.

GG's to Mr.Minionman tonight. He's improved a lot. Don't underestimate him, doods. :O And in terms of what we learned, at the very least, we found out that Yu's Electric Slide low profiles Shabrys's A Super. LOLZ

Hype. Also, you left out the part where you heard I play like a scumbag. :v:

As for you playing like a scumbag, Jackie, that is common knowledge and doesn't need to be said!

Jackie, DP clash ladder to heaven using Narukami in tournament on stream with me?

But it's easier with Mitsuru. :v:

As for you playing like a scumbag, Jackie, that is common knowledge and doesn't need to be said!

<3 This is why Dustloop needs a "Like" function. :kitty: