Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Shoto

Axl v. May

Instead of a placeholder:

:eng101: taken from the General Information thread:

May:

Shoto:5,5

Ok, I haven’t played decent Mays enough to really judge this, but from what I experienced and what I know about her I say it’s an about even matchup (but with little a tendency towards Axl) which requires a lot of patience from both players.

A horizontal dolphin will loose to a 5P and may get countered by214S (623P won’t help as May gets pushed back after the dolphin connects). A vertical Dolphin has to be blocked high, but after that you can punish with either 5P into combo while she is airborne, or (much easier) with 2H into 6H. This makes Dolphin spamming not on option for May in this matchup.

May could be said to be the second grappler of the cast, as she needs to get near and deals the big damage tough her command throw and short range low hitting setups. Nevertheless while she can’t take as much damage and doesn’t have okizeme as dangerous as Pots, she is much more mobile and quite fast. As she doesn't have to many offensive tools to bridge the distance and is vulnerable to anti air stuff, so prepare for a lot of movement from both players.

Nevertheless she still can wear Axl down as she may get meaningful damage out of single hits over the time, but Therefore you can rather safely rush her down.

Once she gets her KD or get near trough other means you have to deal with her mixup (which is actually not that strong once you got used to it. She uses 2H for crossup / fake crossups setups and her j.D gives her some height and thus works similar like an additional double jump. During her offence (which is usually quite short) there are two moves that may not hit you: her 2D which allows her to go into an insanely high damage combo for 25% tension and her command throw which gives her a bit less damage but needs no tension. Nevertheless her mixup is not too variable so after you learned to deal with it (usually just block [except for the CT of course]) it, becomes very hard for her to really get in some big damage combo. Outside of that the only thing that may never happen is that you get hit by a CH j.H, which nets her a free over 200dmg combo. Apart from that its business as usual for Axl.

Does May give you all any trouble, because most of the time she kills me with her power and she's hard to gatling from a distance and its too dangerous to get close. What do you guys do?

Well yeah since you asked I added May to the overview at the beginning of the thread.. see trough it if it helps you and if not try to be a bit more specific^^. What is it that gives you a hard time?

Does May give you all any trouble, because most of the time she kills me with her power and she's hard to gatling from a distance and its too dangerous to get close. What do you guys do?

Well may is not an easy match since axl lacks on defense BUT here's what you can do:

2k ducks many of her jump in attacks specially her j.hs, so follow 2k with 5s to continue the combo.

J.6p is very useful when you need to keep her away from you in the air.

5s can hit her when she's right above you so use it.

Avoid her command grapple by all means.

You can hit her with 5p when she tries the dolphin ([4]6 Hs or S).

Remember she can run under 5p so you need to be very carefull poking her.

I usually play this match at full rushing trying not to give her any chance to attack and not jumping to much, but, it can be played at long range.

This is just a few tips I'm gonna write more when I got the chance.

What you really need to watch out for in that match is her (2)8 dolphin. It's fast, and makes both a great AA and a great move to punish things with against Axl. I used to have a very hard time fighting her (Now my only problem match is Baiken), and that, 6P (Which 2K goes under), and j.2S (Backdash if possible) were the moves that gave me the most trouble.

ugh may is frustrating to me, I usually try to spam jump air dash back S.

That's a bad idea, the best way to get close to her is in the ground keep rushing her to death.

Anything else you wanna know just whistle ;)

what happens when 5k meets a dolphin?

Which dolphin? Either way, 6P is better for anti-dolphin. Of course, you should watch out for FB dolphin, since throwing out a move against that is a bad idea. If you can anticipate dolphins, Rensen can work, but as they come out so quickly, this isn't always feasible.

what happens when 5k meets a dolphin?

Which one??

If you mean the [4]6 S or HS: I better go with 5P since the 2 hits of the chain works wonder with this, the 5K is just a counter hit for her and we know what may can do with that :vbang:

If you mean the [2]8 S or HS: Go with 6p if you see it comming but remember she can cross you with this dolphin, the 5K here is just another counter hit for her :vbang:

If you mean the force break dolphin: Block it and be aware of the throw.

Resume: If you see the dolphin I recomend you to block it unless you react instanly and punish her with 6P, so block it and punish her with 5S(f) and 5P when she lands.

Which one??

If you mean the [4]6 S or HS: I better go with 5P since the 2 hits of the chain works wonder with this, the 5K is just a counter hit for her and we know what may can do with that :vbang:

If you mean the [2]8 S or HS: Go with 6p if you see it comming but remember she can cross you with this dolphin, the 5K here is just another counter hit for her :vbang:

If you mean the force break dolphin: Block it and be aware of the throw.

Resume: If you see the dolphin I recomend you to block it unless you react instanly and punish her with 6P, so block it and punish her with 5S(f) and 5P when she lands.

new to the axl thread,lol:v: i was going to ask about may matchup as well,but this really put some thoughts in my head.im going to read through the rest of the thread,but just in case i dont see it,how does axl fair against sol and eddie? im haveing a bit of trouble fighting these guys when they rush down and get in my face.and baikens just another story!:psyduck:

In close May can 6P most of Axel's stuff.. risky but the reward is Ohhhhhh so Sweet, if Axel gets baited for reversal super its GG's. Axel's should try to fight May outside of Her 2HS range. Axel does have some decent AA's. Learn which ones to use at which times and it shouldn't be a tough fight. Iirc Unblocks are reliable against May. The three most important tips. Don't fight her at OHK range. Don't fight her at Her 5HS range. Learn your AntiAirs. She was fall harder than Rome.

I'm talking about Byakuerenshou. His CH state is GIGANTIC during this and a simple J.HS from May will make him cry. :gonk:

His translation page only has 1 super, What about that crappy one that 5D launched... does he still have it?

http://www.dustloop.com/data/ac/axl.html

Iirc 5P, 2S and 6P beat dolphins.

Shoryu FRC is your friend on the inside.

I think that their are May exclusive bomber loops, If so, learn these.

I will have Much Much more once I get to the Axel fight in my May Match-up Guide. I'll be happy to answer questions, but until then...

not may exclusive but the TK Bomber in the middle loops are much easier against her. ..and Axls OD is not an option against any chracter (with some very situational exeptions) You should be able to block the first part, then jump over the second and punish. It has about 15 frames startup which makes it realy worthless even against most meaties..

I'm talking about Byakuerenshou. His CH state is GIGANTIC during this and a simple J.HS from May will make him cry. :gonk:

..and Axls OD is not an option against any chracter (with some very situational exeptions)

You should be able to block the first part, then jump over the second and punish. It has about 15 frames startup which makes it realy worthless even against most meaties..

Yeah, saying you can beat Byakuerenshou is about as useful as saying you can beat Axl's IK. Sure, it's true, but who cares? No Axl in his right mind would use it seriously except in some very rare, situational circumstances. Most of them involve doing it on reaction to other supers during the super freeze, which isn't punishable where it works anyway. I would only use it when in neutral if a character does a super with a startup of N+1, as N+0 supers should just be blocked, and N+2 or higher can be Housoubako'd. May has an N+1 super, but she can't do shit if he byaku's it, and I'm not sure how often May would try it as a reversal (or any other situation in which Axl is in neutral and in range) anyway.

His translation page only has 1 super, What about that crappy one that 5D launched... does he still have it?

http://www.dustloop.com/data/ac/axl.html

Shiranami no Homura? That was off of Housoubako (unblockable Projectile counter, 623P) and is now an FB (Which makes it actually worth doing).

Iirc 5P, 2S and 6P beat dolphins.

Well, 5P is good for Horizontal dolphins, 2S for vertical, 6P for both (Arguably. I want to see how 5H does, as I prefer it over 6P)

Shoryu FRC is your friend on the inside.

Amen, with the one caveat that 3K and 3H are both very viable ways for May to end that game quick if he gets predictable with it.

I think that their are May exclusive bomber loops, If so, learn these.

I don't know about May-exclusive, but definitely similar to Bridget/Baiken loops. I wouldn't be surprised if there are May-exclusive ways to get extra damage, though. I'll look into it.

I will have Much Much more once I get to the Axel fight in my May Match-up Guide. I'll be happy to answer questions, but until then...

Aye. Hopefully I'll get some more May EXP at this upcoming tournament, so I'll be writing from this side soon.

Just block vertical dolphins.. you can punish them either with 5P into combo while May is still airborne (if you're real fast) or (much easier) with 2H into 6H after she landed.. and 5P doesn't reliably beat VDs in situations where they are usually done.

Got to Play Digitalwatches. Fun matches. The meaty timing for May's wake-up is a little later (6HS) Besides that, that matches went A LOT like we had already discussed here Great Job Alex :yaaay: :yaaay: :yaaay:

Got to Play Digitalwatches.

Fun matches.

The meaty timing for May's wake-up is a little later (6HS)

Besides that, that matches went A LOT like we had already discussed here

Great Job Alex

:yaaay: :yaaay: :yaaay:

Yeah, good games like crazy.

One thing I'd like to add: Mays who try to cross up with j.2S are basically giving you some pressure for free, since 2K ducks j.2S (And also goes under HS horizontal dolphin, which I didn't know against Kyle, but got to use later against Christian (A local may)). Meanwhile, this isn't Axl-specific, but I find it funny that a blocked 3K from may can be punished with pretty much anything. My favorite is TK Kokuugeki, which will COUNTERHIT for crying out loud!

a blocked 3K from may can be punished with pretty much anything. My favorite is TK Kokuugeki, which will COUNTERHIT for crying out loud!

This ^^

BTW, it's j.2+HS, not S... But honestly, who plays Axl AND May anyway ?

Good job Alex. I remembered there was something unique you were doing I was like DAMN... but I just couldn't remember. I was impressed by your 2K anti-Air skills. Axel players do 2K anti Air for cross-over stuffz.

2K is good against May. But it's not to be used at all against some other chars...

I can't really think of anyone 2K is bad against.

I can't really think of anyone 2K is bad against.

Well, not BAD per se...

Just not good at the same things.

Or as many things. It's certainly BETTER against certain characters. Eddie, Ky, and May immediately come to mind in that category.