Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

qwerty

guilty gear ghetto tutorials

before you read the rest of this, i want you to watch the following videos, in order.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vugCGZina58

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfMv4lbtQ_s

assuming you were previously unfamiliar with cvs2, you probably learned a hell of a lot more from the second video than you did the first. even if you already were familiar with the game on a basic level, you probably took more away from the second video because it actually explained what was happening.

it wasn't pretty; there wasn't any editing, pictures of idols or trashy acid trance. but, it did exactly what it needed to do: convey information to the viewer in a format that's easy to understand.

so why do i bring this up? well, i've heard a lot of talk over the years about making tutorials for guilty gear, and much of it was just that. there have been some commendable efforts such as the mizuumi wiki, but ultimately those projects die faster than you can say "disinterest". there's some good threads here and there, but many of them contain outdated information and are hard to navigate. and while there are some video tutorials floating around, i'd hardly call them all-encompassing.

i think there's a disconnect between knowledgeable players and those who want to learn from them. the former are afraid nobody will understand what they're saying, or that nobody will pay attention to it if it isn't presented well enough. while the latter, for the most part, simply don't give a shit.

and this is where this idea of a ghetto tutorial comes in: just you, the game, and a camera.

why not? there's no text to format, no intensive editing involved (hence the "ghetto"), and you don't have to worry about some asshole editing your contributions to the wiki. the best part? you could make a video for your character in less than a day. no need to worry about wavering motivation if you can do it in one sitting.

naturally, some questions are going to be posed. such as, "who should these videos be targeted to?". the answer to that being intermediate level players; in part because there's not enough time to cover the basic mechanics in addition to character specifics, as well as the fact that most people that are going to become interested in gg in the near future will probably already be at least somewhat familiar with 2D fighters.

and then, of course, "who's gonna make these videos anyways?". well, obviously, anyone capable of doing it. subforum mods seem to be the most likely candidates, but i guess any respected player could do it if they wanted.

if there's ever been a time to do this, it's now. contrary to what some believe, gg does still have some life left in it (thanks nulldc!), and there are people interested in learning the game. like i said before, many of them have already played sf4/blazblue/whatever and have already read up on the mechanics, but are lost on what exactly it is they're supposed to do. if this isn't the best way to teach people who are genuinely interested in learning the game, i don't know what is.

This is a great idea, and it SHALL BE APPRECIATED (by people like me).

I'd help if I had any sort of video-editing skills or any GG knowledge, so I'm very sorry about that.

Hopefully, your idea won't be left unheard of. I know for one that if this game was a informed as, say, Blazblue, many players would rise.

I'm planning on doing a video tutorial on hitconfirms and how to use Training mode to learn them. I'll use my character (Sol) to demonstrate, but the same foundations are there for the entire cast. I may do some random characters just to be silly.

I made a tutorial, it received next to no response. I can't recommend anyone spend the time doing this kind of stuff. The community either doesn't need it or just doesn't care.