Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Kuuhaku

[CS2] Rachel vs. Tsubaki

Overview

Tsubaki is no longer super sad in CS2, but neither are you. Her range is short, so make use of that by zoning.

Tips/Misc

Character Specific Combos

JPN Match Up Videos

Here

From EVO casuals against ShinSyn's Tsubaki: I mashed out 6A and managed to mostly CH her out of 236X moves or guard point them.

I dont agree with the above statement in terms of tsubaki's range being short-ranged and to use zoning to benefit. Tsubaki is geared toward anti zoning tools and has many ways to punish zoning at many ranges. I will add more later. I have had a large amount of matches against owner's tsubaki and i feel like i actually understand the match-up much better then before.

I agree with Alex. In my opinion Tsubaki is like Ragna but with better mobility, overall better damage from combos (especially meterless), and moves that actually have projectile invulnerability, and her 5B is godlike too. She can also carry you to the corner completely with just one combo.

She has an overhead and a low with the same amount of startup and the startup animation of those moves look very similar. Get used to them and try to be able to distinguish between them. The player I was playing against told me that I need to listen to her voice. High voice = overhead, low voice = low. I wasn't able to confirm this though (it was very loud around us when we played :psyduck:) and didn't test yet.

You can't really zone her/do pole setups etc. because then she can just stay full screen and fill up her drive meter, and you DEFINITELY don't want her to get drive meter. 236D is very fucking annoyingly fast, +2 on block and grants her a free combo on normal hit. And if she has a few bars of drive meter, then she has no reason to give up oki on you. Also watch out for 22D unblockable resets (39f startup for the charged unblockable version).

I think this matchup is best played straight rushing her down with winded airdashes and with pumpkin support. Don't give her time to breathe and charge.

And make sure to bait her DP from time to time when you knocked her down. Frog + 2C should work well for this.

Relentless;1146484']In my opinion Tsubaki is like Ragna but with better mobility' date=' overall better damage from combos (especially meterless), and moves that actually have projectile invulnerability[/quote']

The moves that have projectile invulnerabilIty also have body and head invincibility, being 214X, and her DD. She has 22B which can stop projectiles but it's not invulnerable to them like in CS1.

Unless you have a freak rushdown Rachel it is inevitable that Tsubaki is going to gain stock in this matchup.

This. Due to her character design, Tsubaki will control the pace of this matchup midscreen; Rachel can pretty much only react to what Tsubaki does.

Also, be careful of starting the match with any lobelia as 22X will beat it and will grant a free corner carry combo with oki/charge.

Just to clarify, you guys, Tsubaki's 236X moves no longer have projectile invuln. Her ground 214X moves do have head/body invuln, but that's somewhat different.

Important notes:

Really, until Tsubaki proves otherwise to you, there is no reason to expect her to use the 6B low early in a string, and her last chance to do the overhead from a gatling is after 2B in her 5BB > 2BB > 5CC chain, so once she does her 2nd low, you don't have to look out for the overhead at all unless she does something fancy like a charge cancel, which is really a pressure reset. Also, 6B basically doesn't lead to anything except in the corner, I think. (Kiba can correct me if I'm wrong here, there might be some advanced combo I can't do.)

Tsubaki can cancel her 236X series into 214D for weird projectile avoiding stuff and general mixup, even before they hit, so you may need to be a little wary just throwing out A lobelias to prevent 236C because she can do 236B > 214D to cover most of the same distance and have head/body immunity for a lot of it. This loses to reaction cat chair (as does 236C) but you need to be careful she doesn't do an 'empty' 236B to bait it, since that will stop short and leave her plenty of time to punish. You can tell 236B from 236C/D because 236B glows green, vs red for 236C and uh... something for 236D. x.x This may not be easy to react to on the fly, however.

Also, 6B basically doesn't lead to anything except in the corner, I think. (Kiba can correct me if I'm wrong here, there might be some advanced combo I can't do.)

No need. You're right about 6B not really dealing much unless you hit with it in the corner. :)

Question!

About Tsubaki's 236 A,B,C, and D, is it punishable on block? Everytime that moves hits and I block it, I always get countered or mixed-up because from what I can tell the move goes on the opposite side, I think. It is about the spacing or am I not reacting in time?

From Tsubaki data:

236A is -3

236B and 236C is -5

236D is +2

More than likely Tsubaki is getting in with 236D.

I'm not good at understanding frame data, so 236D is not punishable, right?

236A/B/C you can punish with IB but it also matters at what point you IB'd the move. Look at the distance of when you guarded 236A/B/C. If you IB it at the end of its travel then you cannot punish it even with IB > 5A (your fastest starting normal). This is because her move hit at its last active frames and at that point you are finally put in blockstun and immediately afterward she starts her recovery frames. An example is 236A. Guarding it at the last active frame possible (8th frame) makes it +4 on block or +1 on IB (same concept as making something hit meaty).

Just some info, doesn't hurt to try to punish it no matter what though.

Tsubaki 236D = she's getting in there = get ready to block

If you feel like a jerk, you can always spam 236A in attempts to discourage her use of 236X and instead she will try for 214X (has head & body invuln that can go through A lobelia).